In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
capitalacq

Silver

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by capitalacq » Fri May 14, 2010 5:20 pm

c0rpusdelicti wrote:Open question: do you any of you think that I'd be absolutely boning myself by waiting for on-campus housing off of the waitlist? My lottery number was within 20 places of 220 and I called to ask about my chances (apparently, they're "good").

It's just that I'm not leaving the West coast until about a week before orientation starts and I'm not relishing trying to find an apartment/room while I'm across the country.
I remember hearing that in the past, everyone on the waitlist was eventually offered something

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Fri May 14, 2010 5:22 pm

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri May 14, 2010 5:27 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:.
+1

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Fri May 14, 2010 5:28 pm

lz06 wrote:So looks like I'll be living at 29 Garden St through HRES! Anyone else?
Congrats! Were there many other apts there available? I have a terrible select date - 6/7. I have a feeling I'm screwed.

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Fri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:So I just called HRES and found out that ALL their leases are at least 12 months (i.e. you have to pay for the summer even if you’re not planning on staying)…so what exactly is the point of leasing through HRES (besides the benefit of having a reliable landlord)? Are they less expensive than other places (I’m not familiar with the rental prices around Cambridge)?

I’m just trying to understand what benefits, if any, you get by renting through HRES….and my housing selection window is on Monday so any help would be much appreciated!
For me the benefits are:
- not having to do an independent apartment search which can be a major pain in the ass
- living in a building with all students
- knowing that HRES will come fix things if they break (instead of having to rely on a potentially shady landlord/super)
- having rent paid through your school acct & utilities paid for (so you don't have to worry about all the bills every month)

Then again, I don't have a problem with a 12-mo. lease - I'll either deal with paying double rent over the summer or I'll sublet (which HRES has a built in process for). I wouldn't want to ever sign a 9-mo. lease anyway, because then wtf am I supposed to do with my furniture over the summer? I really just want to settle into a place that I can ideally call home for all 3 years. So please for my sake reject HRES so there's still something left for me when my shitty window finally comes around!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri May 14, 2010 5:58 pm

anyone else happen to get one of the HLS owned apartments?

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:40 pm

gilagarta wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:So I just called HRES and found out that ALL their leases are at least 12 months (i.e. you have to pay for the summer even if you’re not planning on staying)…so what exactly is the point of leasing through HRES (besides the benefit of having a reliable landlord)? Are they less expensive than other places (I’m not familiar with the rental prices around Cambridge)?

I’m just trying to understand what benefits, if any, you get by renting through HRES….and my housing selection window is on Monday so any help would be much appreciated!
For me the benefits are:
- not having to do an independent apartment search which can be a major pain in the ass
- living in a building with all students
- knowing that HRES will come fix things if they break (instead of having to rely on a potentially shady landlord/super)
- having rent paid through your school acct & utilities paid for (so you don't have to worry about all the bills every month)

Then again, I don't have a problem with a 12-mo. lease - I'll either deal with paying double rent over the summer or I'll sublet (which HRES has a built in process for). I wouldn't want to ever sign a 9-mo. lease anyway, because then wtf am I supposed to do with my furniture over the summer? I really just want to settle into a place that I can ideally call home for all 3 years. So please for my sake reject HRES so there's still something left for me when my shitty window finally comes around!
Didnt consider all that...makes sense. Thanks!

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 pm

The HRES apartments look great, but it's annoying that the lease starts/end in mid-June and July. It makes changing apartments later on quite costly unless you have a subletter along with a re-assigning of the lease.

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Sat May 15, 2010 12:26 am

I can't believe they only give you a week to turn in your contract for the on campus housing! I live in Japan and the email was just sent today....which is saturday here so the post offices are already closed for the weekend. Even if I send it first thing Monday morning there is no way it will get there by Friday. Hopefully they'll let me fax it. but come on harvard, 1 week?!?!?! that's gayer than a bag of dicks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Sat May 15, 2010 12:54 am

Zara wrote:I can't believe they only give you a week to turn in your contract for the on campus housing! I live in Japan and the email was just sent today....which is saturday here so the post offices are already closed for the weekend. Even if I send it first thing Monday morning there is no way it will get there by Friday. Hopefully they'll let me fax it. but come on harvard, 1 week?!?!?! that's gayer than a bag of dicks!
I would try scanning the contract and emailing them the photos. And then send the documents by mail. I did that with the withdrawal forms of a few law schools and they were all fine with it.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat May 15, 2010 1:42 am

Zara wrote:I can't believe they only give you a week to turn in your contract for the on campus housing! I live in Japan and the email was just sent today....which is saturday here so the post offices are already closed for the weekend. Even if I send it first thing Monday morning there is no way it will get there by Friday. Hopefully they'll let me fax it. but come on harvard, 1 week?!?!?! that's gayer than a bag of dicks!
ok im going to have to call you out on this one. im not buying it.

nameless

New

Post by nameless » Sat May 15, 2010 2:16 pm

De-lurking here.

I will be living off-campus. I'm already in the Boston area, not sure if I'm going to move at all. I just can't handle the thought of going back to dorms... even Harvard apartments. I think it will be good to keep my school and personal lives a bit separate.

allstarballer22

New

Post by allstarballer22 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:30 pm

New Wl/Admits...

Have you received any email/housing/financial aid anything from Harvard after your Jr1/Jr2's? I was told after my JR1 to expect an email since he told me I was in (Monday) and it has been quiet since. Am I alone?

(Thanks Gaia)!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Sat May 15, 2010 4:17 pm

allstarballer22 wrote:New Wl/Admits...

Have you received any email/housing/financial aid anything from Harvard after your Jr1/Jr2's? I was told after my JR1 to expect an email since he told me I was in (Monday) and it has been quiet since. Am I alone?

(Thanks Gaia)!!
I had my JR1/JR2 Tuesday, and received something in the mail Thursday via priority mail. Granted, I live in Maine, so I don't think mail takes more than a business day...

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:22 pm

For those of you worried about being on the wait list and not getting a dorm... I had originally chosen hastings but asked for a room change so the housing person sent me a list of all the open rooms and there were a bunch left. And thats hastings, so I assume there will still be a lot of gropius rooms as well.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:40 pm

lz06 wrote:For those of you worried about being on the wait list and not getting a dorm... I had originally chosen hastings but asked for a room change so the housing person sent me a list of all the open rooms and there were a bunch left. And thats hastings, so I assume there will still be a lot of gropius rooms as well.
Awesome!! Thanks for this update. Great to know!!

<3

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Fri May 21, 2010 12:27 am

Just signed a lease on a place in Porter Square. Getting really excited!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Fri May 21, 2010 4:36 am

justbluemyself wrote:Just signed a lease on a place in Porter Square. Getting really excited!
I'm living slightly further away from Campus - opposite Lincoln Park. But really excited too!

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Fri May 21, 2010 7:02 am

Also - has everyone already signed up for lockers?

Wasn't sure if it was too early to do it.

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:53 pm

creatinganalt wrote:Also - has everyone already signed up for lockers?

Where do you do that?

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:

Where do you do that?
Actually, never mind...found it. If anybody else is looking for it, just go to the admitted students checklist on the admitted students site.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Fri May 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Apparently it's not too early. I just filled out the form. Having it so low on the Admitted Student Checklist had tricked me into thinking you had to get your University ID first until you posted this.

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Mon May 24, 2010 9:42 am

100 days until we start 1L at Harvard!

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 am

Zara wrote:100 days until we start 1L at Harvard!
Really???? I am sooo excited!

jlh39

New

Post by jlh39 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 am

I just got in off the waitlist! I must be like the last person. Lookin forward to Cambridge!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”