In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pulpfree

New

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by pulpfree » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:51 pm

You don't need to do that right now. Just go to their website and type in some basic info and submit the application. And then you'll immediately get a "temporary" approval and an instruction (pdf document) regarding what to do once you arrive in August/September. (Then we can make an appointment with the Union, open an account, submit documentation, etc). Hope this helps!
bluedolphins wrote:Is there any other international student applying for the loan from Harvard University Employee's credit union? Do we have to deposit $25 to open an account before we apply? And do we have to have our I-20 form and visa with us when we fill out the application?

Thanks in advance.

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Talked to someone from Health Services today because I am worried I might not be able to get everything in on time. She told me I was in good company, and to just get everything in as soon as I could. Apparently they do not even need the physical, just the immunization records.

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 pm

pulpfree wrote:You don't need to do that right now. Just go to their website and type in some basic info and submit the application. And then you'll immediately get a "temporary" approval and an instruction (pdf document) regarding what to do once you arrive in August/September. (Then we can make an appointment with the Union, open an account, submit documentation, etc). Hope this helps!
Thanks. This is very helpful!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Is anyone else having trouble trying to send their Harvard ID Pin to their email address? I know they were having some technical problems but they sent an email this morning saying that all systems were go. But every time I try the URL in the original email it says either "File not Found" or "HLS Document Not Found."

tyia <3

Jon

New

Post by Jon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Anyone know what happens if you miss the deadline with your paperwork (transcript, dean cert)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:18 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Is anyone else having trouble trying to send their Harvard ID Pin to their email address? I know they were having some technical problems but they sent an email this morning saying that all systems were go. But every time I try the URL in the original email it says either "File not Found" or "HLS Document Not Found."

tyia <3
Try the other link in the email.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:14 am

creatinganalt wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Is anyone else having trouble trying to send their Harvard ID Pin to their email address? I know they were having some technical problems but they sent an email this morning saying that all systems were go. But every time I try the URL in the original email it says either "File not Found" or "HLS Document Not Found."

tyia <3
Try the other link in the email.
Thanks!! Just got the new email and its all sorted <3

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Jon wrote:Anyone know what happens if you miss the deadline with your paperwork (transcript, dean cert)?
eternal banishment from all things Harvard

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Hey guys. I'm sure some of you already know this, but in regards to the immunization records, I just called HLS Health Services and they said that its perfectly fine to have your undergraduate institution fax your records directly to the office. The forms do not necessarily have to be completed. As long as they have an official record documenting your history, you'll be fine. HTH anyone freaking out about it <3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jon

New

Post by Jon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:08 pm

adameus wrote:
Jon wrote:Anyone know what happens if you miss the deadline with your paperwork (transcript, dean cert)?
eternal banishment from all things Harvard

Damn... can I still rock the sweatshirt?

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:04 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Hey guys. I'm sure some of you already know this, but in regards to the immunization records, I just called HLS Health Services and they said that its perfectly fine to have your undergraduate institution fax your records directly to the office. The forms do not necessarily have to be completed. As long as they have an official record documenting your history, you'll be fine. HTH anyone freaking out about it <3
That is great news. I am sending the forms from undergraduate tomorrow :D

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Last edited by Lysis on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Lysis wrote:Dear current HLS students who might be lurking,

Do any of you remember when you got your schedule and section assignment for 1L? I realize it won't happen until later in the summer, but I'm curious if that means July, early August, or right before classes start. Thanks!

--Bored 0L
try messaging mallard. He just finished up 1L and has been quite active since he finished.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by Lysis on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:45 am

Is anyone who's living off campus actually moving furniture to the area? I've been living in NYC for 3 years and don't want to have to buy everything new in Cambridge, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a moving company I trust that doesn't charge a fortune. Anyone have advice?

portena

Bronze

Post by portena » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Is anyone else planning to apply for a cash advance for a new computer? The link is supposed to be functional as of July 1, but I still can't get it to work.

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 pm

portena wrote:Is anyone else planning to apply for a cash advance for a new computer? The link is supposed to be functional as of July 1, but I still can't get it to work.
Could you post the link, please? I remember seeing it once but can't find it now, and I'm definitely considering making use of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

portena

Bronze

Post by portena » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:08 pm

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... puter.html

There's a link at the bottom that should go to the application page. It's still not working for me, though - says access forbidden.

citydweller09

Bronze

Post by citydweller09 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 pm

The cash advance link doesn't work for me either, but in any event I'm not sure we'd be able to receive the money before arriving on campus, since there's a paragraph on the page that says:
Harvard University cannot release funds to non-registered students. Therefore, if you wish to purchase a computer system during the summer months, you must purchase it out-of-pocket and apply later for a computer reimbursement. Computer cash advances are not available for summer computer purchases.
So it looks like the best that could happen is that we purchase a computer during the summer and get reimbursed for it by Sept. 30 (based on the timetable they posted).

Just wanted to point this out in case it affects anyone's plans and they'd overlooked it.

portena

Bronze

Post by portena » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:07 am

Oh, booooo. Thanks for pointing that out, though. I'm not in a big hurry I guess, but it'd be nice to take advantage of the Apple back-to-school deal before it's too late.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:16 am

portena wrote:Oh, booooo. Thanks for pointing that out, though. I'm not in a big hurry I guess, but it'd be nice to take advantage of the Apple back-to-school deal before it's too late.
You can try financing your computer. I think Apple does 12 months of deferred interest so you'd be paying very little out of pocket.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 am

Lysis wrote:
adameus wrote:
Lysis wrote:Dear current HLS students who might be lurking,

Do any of you remember when you got your schedule and section assignment for 1L? I realize it won't happen until later in the summer, but I'm curious if that means July, early August, or right before classes start. Thanks!

--Bored 0L
try messaging mallard. He just finished up 1L and has been quite active since he finished.
I like it better when he just swoops into the thread and saves the day though (read: I don't actually care enough to bother him about it).

EDIT: The admitted student checklist also has "Receive your 1L section information by email in mid-August". Thought I should share in case anyone has as much trouble reading as I apparently do... :?
Hey everyone,

I'm a rising 2L at HLS and I just wanted to confirm that, yeah, we got our assignments around the middle of August. As a rule, HLS doesn't like running early; if they say they will do something by such-and-such date, they will do it by then and no sooner, haha.

I do remember some of us found out our sections a few days early last year b/c of some glitch in the myplan system or something like that. (You can check out the HLS 2012 thread and scroll back to last August if you want details.) Now, it's kind of unlikely that it will happen again as they found out about the glitch somehow and shut it down but, fwiw, that's what happened last year.

Good luck to everyone next year and enjoy the rest of your summer! Feel free to let me know if there's anyway I can help out. TLS was a godsend to me last year and I wouldn't mind returning the favor.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:55 pm

does anyone know how inman square is for a location? It seems quite close to HLS on the map, probably a 20 min walk or a short bus ride. Is this accurate?
How is the neighborhood?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:27 pm

There's a considerable amount less happening over there, as it's off the beaten track a bit and a bit quieter. It's also not quite as nice as any of the locations along Mass Ave, but there is a supermarket right there I think (I remember driving past that neighborhood and not being terribly impressed, but it did seem slightly cheaper than some of the more desirable locations). If you're just looking for a place to live, it's probably not bad... but there are definitely more convenient options to be had.

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Just got my fall tuition bill (who's sending these emails at 11:30pm???) Does anybody know if loan disbursements will happen in time to be credited to this bill? I can't afford this out of pocket; if I could, I wouldn't need the loans. Anybody know how this works?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”