In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nom Sawyer

Silver

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:45 pm

kmap wrote:Just got my fall tuition bill (who's sending these emails at 11:30pm???) Does anybody know if loan disbursements will happen in time to be credited to this bill? I can't afford this out of pocket; if I could, I wouldn't need the loans. Anybody know how this works?
This is just the estimated bill. As long as you have applied for loans/ finished all the stuff on the checklist before August 1st, they will automatically credit for the actual tuition bill when it comes out.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Was your anticipated finaid listed on your ebill?

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:51 pm

smov_operator wrote:Was your anticipated finaid listed on your ebill?
Yes it was. I've emailed financial aid repeatedly and they've said I was good to go for my loans, so I took them at their word ... just wanted to double-check. I haven't gotten any notification of approval from the feds or anything like that ... should I have? I hear a lot of folks at other schools talking about mandatory loan counseling but I don't remember being asked to do anything like that for Harvard. Is that just a public school thing or something?

Sorry for my ignorance ... thanks in advance for your help.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:55 pm

kmap wrote:
Yes it was. I've emailed financial aid repeatedly and they've said I was good to go for my loans, so I took them at their word ... just wanted to double-check. I haven't gotten any notification of approval from the feds or anything like that ... should I have? I hear a lot of folks at other schools talking about mandatory loan counseling but I don't remember being asked to do anything like that for Harvard. Is that just a public school thing or something?

Much of the loan paperwork should be coming in the following weeks, so I wouldn't worry about that. But, your anticipated aid should include all of what you expected to get (divided in half for this semester). Does it?

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:11 am

smov_operator wrote:
kmap wrote:

Much of the loan paperwork should be coming in the following weeks, so I wouldn't worry about that. But, your anticipated aid should include all of what you expected to get (divided in half for this semester). Does it?
Yes, it appears to do just that. It's just that it *looks* like it's set up to be paid online via credit card or check, which seemed silly considering how many of us are dependent on loans to make these payments.

Anyway, I'm less worried now. I'll probably call the office of financial aid tomorrow to see if I can get some concrete answers. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 pm

portena wrote:Oh, booooo. Thanks for pointing that out, though. I'm not in a big hurry I guess, but it'd be nice to take advantage of the Apple back-to-school deal before it's too late.
Now that I see that you can make the purchase at any point during the academic year, I feel relieved. I was stressing over whether I wanted to replace my computer now or wait until 2L since I thought you could only get the loan at the beginning of the year. Thank you HLS for accommodating my indecisiveness!

On a related note, does anyone know if Macs and PCs are equally compatible with all of HLS' systems and such? I want to stick with a Mac but I know some schools favor PCs.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:44 pm

GeePee wrote:There's a considerable amount less happening over there, as it's off the beaten track a bit and a bit quieter. It's also not quite as nice as any of the locations along Mass Ave, but there is a supermarket right there I think (I remember driving past that neighborhood and not being terribly impressed, but it did seem slightly cheaper than some of the more desirable locations). If you're just looking for a place to live, it's probably not bad... but there are definitely more convenient options to be had.
You seem like an expert on Cambridge now :lol:

Where did you end up renting?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:58 pm

sayan wrote:
GeePee wrote:There's a considerable amount less happening over there, as it's off the beaten track a bit and a bit quieter. It's also not quite as nice as any of the locations along Mass Ave, but there is a supermarket right there I think (I remember driving past that neighborhood and not being terribly impressed, but it did seem slightly cheaper than some of the more desirable locations). If you're just looking for a place to live, it's probably not bad... but there are definitely more convenient options to be had.
You seem like an expert on Cambridge now :lol:

Where did you end up renting?
Let's just say I've done my research! I ending up renting in Avon Hill, about 4 blocks from the law school slightly up Mass Ave on Linnaean Street.

nameless

New

Post by nameless » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:28 am

FWIW, I really like Inman Square.... less touristy/collegey than the Harvard Square area. A few really good restaurants too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Hey guys. Just another quick question.

My financial aid app is still not finalized (I know, its late) but I have exceptional circumstances. I was just sent an email suggesting that I appeal to waive the documentation needed from one of my parents. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Is the success rate high enough to consider this a good sign?

Please PM if necessary, but any and all info will be greatly appreciated <3

EDIT: Thanks to all those who sent me PMs. You guys are awesome :)

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 am

My UG, in their infinite wisdom, decided to send the wrong transcript. Yay . . .

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:51 pm

oh btw, anyone here already looking into textbooks? im not even sure when we're supposed to be getting them...or from where

also, any HLS TLSers interested in meeting when we get to HLS, if we're in the same section, and joining forces to find competent outlines for everyone to edit/add onto?

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:38 pm

So we have sections. Where are the reading lists?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 pm

creatinganalt wrote:So we have sections. Where are the reading lists?
some ppl thought it might be this:

--LinkRemoved--

but not 100% sure, only sure it is diff from the section reading lists from last yr, so prob it

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:So we have sections. Where are the reading lists?
some ppl thought it might be this:

--LinkRemoved--

but not 100% sure, only sure it is diff from the section reading lists from last yr, so prob it
yeah profs look different from last year. i think we'll probably find out officially this week anyway

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:42 am

Can we (respectfully :D ) talk professors? Anyone we should be afraid of? Does anyone curve particularly harshly?

(And what is with the 8.20am classes btw?)

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

creatinganalt wrote:Can we (respectfully :D ) talk professors? Anyone we should be afraid of? Does anyone curve particularly harshly?

(And what is with the 8.20am classes btw?)
sucks if you have 8:20 am, i mean id love to say i feel your pain, but i dont :P

haha go over to the Harvard Class of 2013 thread, there was some talk about profs -- a few 2Ls were answering questions on there, so prob a better bet than this one

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”