In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bluedolphins

New

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by bluedolphins » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be up all night (12am till 8am) checking emails. Oh well, I had better find some interesting things to do.

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Mon May 10, 2010 10:23 pm

bluedolphins wrote:Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be up all night (12am till 8am) checking emails. Oh well, I had better find some interesting things to do.
I'll be up with you! It's going to suck!!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Tue May 11, 2010 1:30 am

Zara wrote: from everything I've read, that is correct. You can choose any time between 12-8 but if someone with a lower number chooses the room you select you get bumped out. Then you get an email and have to login and select a new room.

It tells you how many people have already selected when you login so that's supposed to help you know when to select but there is no way of knowing whether the people who have already chosen rooms are higher or lower than yours...so realistically you could get bumped at any time even if you have a pretty good number.

With the time difference the hours fall between 2am and 10am for me, which blows. I am not looking forward to staying up all night to do this (especially since I have work at 8am) but I'm lucky I got a low number so I guess I shouldn't really bitch too much about it.

by the way thanks to the people who commented on hastings. i didnt realize it was so crappy. I guess I'll have to reconsider Gropius in the event that I can't get an affordable room in North.
Hmm interesting how people don't like Hastings on here. They seemed pretty decent to me, especially in that you get a suite style with a common room that u can share... Their own entrance and exit part is nice too, but I don't remember if their bathrooms are good or bad from the tour.

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Tue May 11, 2010 1:35 am

Zara wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be up all night (12am till 8am) checking emails. Oh well, I had better find some interesting things to do.
I'll be up with you! It's going to suck!!
lol. Yeah, at least checking email is better than trying to finish a paper due in 8 hours :lol:

goreman

New

Post by goreman » Tue May 11, 2010 2:46 am

I have a pretty good lottery number and plan to select a room, but does anybody know what the policy is on cancelling a room? I'm trying to keep my options in open in finding a local place with a roommate as it seems more cost-effective, but I obviously don't want to close out the option of being in a dorm if nothing appealing presents itself. Does anybody know when we can cancel a room in the dorms without any penalty?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue May 11, 2010 8:37 am

goreman wrote:I have a pretty good lottery number and plan to select a room, but does anybody know what the policy is on cancelling a room? I'm trying to keep my options in open in finding a local place with a roommate as it seems more cost-effective, but I obviously don't want to close out the option of being in a dorm if nothing appealing presents itself. Does anybody know when we can cancel a room in the dorms without any penalty?
That has the potential to screw someone on the waitlist.

bballfan

New

Post by bballfan » Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 am

goreman wrote:I have a pretty good lottery number and plan to select a room, but does anybody know what the policy is on cancelling a room? I'm trying to keep my options in open in finding a local place with a roommate as it seems more cost-effective, but I obviously don't want to close out the option of being in a dorm if nothing appealing presents itself. Does anybody know when we can cancel a room in the dorms without any penalty?
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... quest.html

cardinal08

New

Post by cardinal08 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:14 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Zara wrote: Hmm interesting how people don't like Hastings on here. They seemed pretty decent to me, especially in that you get a suite style with a common room that u can share... Their own entrance and exit part is nice too, but I don't remember if their bathrooms are good or bad from the tour.
I think I'd like to live in Hastings. What do you mean by "own entrance and exit"? Like, you enter directly to the bedrooms and don't have to go through the common room?

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 am

cardinal08 wrote:
I think I'd like to live in Hastings. What do you mean by "own entrance and exit"? Like, you enter directly to the bedrooms and don't have to go through the common room?
From what I remember, Hastings is split up into several small stacks of suites and each stack has its own entrance. The stacks are not connected.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Tue May 11, 2010 11:03 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
Zara wrote: from everything I've read, that is correct. You can choose any time between 12-8 but if someone with a lower number chooses the room you select you get bumped out. Then you get an email and have to login and select a new room.

It tells you how many people have already selected when you login so that's supposed to help you know when to select but there is no way of knowing whether the people who have already chosen rooms are higher or lower than yours...so realistically you could get bumped at any time even if you have a pretty good number.

With the time difference the hours fall between 2am and 10am for me, which blows. I am not looking forward to staying up all night to do this (especially since I have work at 8am) but I'm lucky I got a low number so I guess I shouldn't really bitch too much about it.

by the way thanks to the people who commented on hastings. i didnt realize it was so crappy. I guess I'll have to reconsider Gropius in the event that I can't get an affordable room in North.
Hmm interesting how people don't like Hastings on here. They seemed pretty decent to me, especially in that you get a suite style with a common room that u can share... Their own entrance and exit part is nice too, but I don't remember if their bathrooms are good or bad from the tour.
I stayed in Hastings during the ASW. There is one bathroom shared by about 6ish people, with two sinks, one shower and one toilet.

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 am

So if I choose not to select a room I don't get charged a cancellation fee, right?

citydweller09

Bronze

Post by citydweller09 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Room selected! Now begins the 8 hour wait, hoping I don't get bumped.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey guys...just got the call! I'm IN!!!

Looking forward to Cambridge!!

<3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue May 11, 2010 1:56 pm

i'm a bit surprised about the hastings hate here too... from looking at the floorplans, many of the bathrooms are only shared by 3 people (and about half by 5 ppl and a few maybe by 6)

anyway, I chose a good room and maybe I won't be going through HRES after all...

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Hey guys...just got the call! I'm IN!!!

<3
congrats!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:02 pm

capitalacq wrote:i'm a bit surprised about the hastings hate here too... from looking at the floorplans, many of the bathrooms are only shared by 3 people (and about half by 5 ppl and a few maybe by 6)

anyway, I chose a good room and maybe I won't be going through HRES after all...
I really wanted hastings. Damn my lottery number.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue May 11, 2010 2:03 pm

<3
welcome!!!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

<3
Wow GAIA that was fast.. haha i didn't think you'd be here until next year... congrats and see u there

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks guys!!! Yeah, I was all set for next year but I managed to send in my app for the Class of '13. Still can't believe it worked out!! So excited for my admissions binder :D

<3

citydweller09

Bronze

Post by citydweller09 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Congrats GAIA!

In other news, this housing lottery is cutthroat. People are ruthless! I just got bumped from my coveted room in Hastings. *sigh

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Tue May 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Like Gaia, I was just admitted. I am 98% sure I'll withdraw from CLS (no money) and be joining you all in the fall!

Am I correct in assuming I'm probably boned for HLS housing?

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue May 11, 2010 3:34 pm

citydweller09 wrote:Congrats GAIA!

In other news, this housing lottery is cutthroat. People are ruthless! I just got bumped from my coveted room in Hastings. *sigh
which dorms seem most in demand? the least?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:37 pm

justbluemyself wrote:Like Gaia, I was just admitted. I am 98% sure I'll withdraw from CLS (no money) and be joining you all in the fall!

Am I correct in assuming I'm probably boned for HLS housing?
Let's hope not :? I need to live on campus.

citydweller09

Bronze

Post by citydweller09 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:56 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:

I only looked at Hastings and North Hall. I really wanted a 2-for-1 (single bedroom + living room, no roommate) in Hastings, and managed to select one. Then I got bumped. So I selected another one ... and got bumped again. It looked like there were plenty of 3-for-2s left though, so if you want to live in Hastings and are cool with having a roommate you should be fine.

North Hall also had a good number of rooms left at last check (around 3pm or so).

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:

when i chose, hastings seemed to have the highest demand, followed by north and then one of the groupious dorms

but there were still plenty available everywhere... but maybe not the type you specifically want

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Tue May 11, 2010 7:59 pm

looks like the lottery is over for the day and I managed to avoid getting bumped from my room in North. I'm very happy I managed to get one of the small rooms which are the most affordable. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”