In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dutchstriker

Bronze

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by dutchstriker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Definitely Y>S>H. And for the record, 5 times 190 is 950. Which is much larger than the class size at Harvard. That's Cooley numbers.
I've always thought that Stanford will accept some applicants that neither Y or H will take in order to increase their yield & due to their different emphasis in the admissions process. Thus they like to go for say the 3.98, 170 with work experience that Harvard or Yale might not, thus making it almost certain that those type of people will attend. Not positive on this of course.. but it seems that cross-admits between H and Y choose H more often. (Doesn't H have higher yield even with the huge class?)

Anyways what are your guys thoughts?
Yeah, I suppose the only thing I can really say with confidence is that Harvard cares more about numbers (edit: or is more likely to take someone with just good numbers and not much else) than Y or S (out of necessity due to class size).

But Yale has a higher yield. Harvard's is like 68% and Yale's is around 78%. Stanford's is 46%.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:41 am

adameus wrote:Hey guys, sorry for another "International" question but I am wondering if we get any type of health insurance while being Harvard students. If we do, is it good enough or would I be wise to purchase additional coverage.

Being from Canada I am completely ingorant to the world of health insurance and could use some quick advice.

Thanks

edit for spell fail.
I'm a fellow Canadian :)

If you look in the HLS viewbook, you'll see we have to pay $1700 for mandatory health coverage under MA's UHS and there is an optional private BlueShield insurance for $1100 more. Since I'm used to commie care, I'll probably forsake BlueShield.

edit: Once you get your email account up, you'll be getting a ton of emails from various resources BTW. It's amazing how many people have contacted me so far.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

sayan wrote:
adameus wrote:Hey guys, sorry for another "International" question but I am wondering if we get any type of health insurance while being Harvard students. If we do, is it good enough or would I be wise to purchase additional coverage.

Being from Canada I am completely ingorant to the world of health insurance and could use some quick advice.

Thanks

edit for spell fail.
I'm a fellow Canadian :)

If you look in the HLS viewbook, you'll see we have to pay $1700 for mandatory health coverage under MA's UHS and there is an optional private BlueShield insurance for $1100 more. Since I'm used to commie care, I'll probably forsake BlueShield.

edit: Once you get your email account up, you'll be getting a ton of emails from various resources BTW. It's amazing how many people have contacted me so far.
Thanks Sayan! I check the mail every day waiting for my Harvard package to arrive.

BLi

New

Post by BLi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Hey, [fellow] Canadians:

How did LSAC deal with converting your GPA?
I went to my university advisor and she had no idea about much re: the application process for law school, especially when crossing over into the states.
Some people say they just take the grade average, others say they only use your GPA as a soft, and still others say they just take your given GPA as-is.

Can you shed some light on that? (In here or PM is fine)

driveshaft

New

Post by driveshaft » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 am

Thoughts on this new Public Service Venture Fund situation? I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet considering it's a replacement for the Public Service Initiative (which I liked a lot).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 pm

driveshaft wrote:Thoughts on this new Public Service Venture Fund situation? I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet considering it's a replacement for the Public Service Initiative (which I liked a lot).
I think it's pretty sweet. I never really understood the whole free tuition thing for third year, considering anyone doing low-paying public interest for five years would qualify for LIPP anyway and probably not pay much of that tuition ever. It seemed like there would be a large amount of overlap in benefits. Even if this new Public Service Venture Fund never directly benefits me, it's probably going to drive some innovation and make some things possible that wouldn't otherwise have been possible.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:02 pm

BLi wrote:Hey, [fellow] Canadians:

How did LSAC deal with converting your GPA?
I went to my university advisor and she had no idea about much re: the application process for law school, especially when crossing over into the states.
Some people say they just take the grade average, others say they only use your GPA as a soft, and still others say they just take your given GPA as-is.

Can you shed some light on that? (In here or PM is fine)

LSAC will convert your GPA into their format (a 4.33) scale. They do this on a class by class basis (I believe), if not class by class then a semester by semester basis forsure. Its the same way the would do it if you submitted your grades from an American school, so perhaps some American students can shed some light on this. The schools you apply to will look at your LSAC gpa the exact same way they would look at a GPA from an American student, with the very small exception of those students who went to Princeton, Yale or Harvard for undergrad who supposedly get a little boost for going to such prestigious undergrad institutions. Anyways, not sure if you are applying to harvard, or why you have posted in this thread, but feel free to PM me if you have any more questions as I have recently just went through the process.

vyboxvybox

New

Post by vyboxvybox » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Has anyone gotten a financial aid offer yet? Care to share your details?

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 pm

vyboxvybox wrote:Has anyone gotten a financial aid offer yet? Care to share your details?
I don't quite think aid offers will be out so quickly.. They just opened their financial aid application process a week and a couple days ago.. plus they say they need at least two weeks to process. So doing the math, its not physically possible for it to happen yet.

However, I would definitely like to know about any details people get once they do come out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Anyone else a little intimidated by the prospect of $67,900 in loans per year?

clyde_barrow

New

Post by clyde_barrow » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:43 am

got the viewbook in the mail today -- very cool (and funny; i know one of the ppl it spotlights). JR's handwritten, personalized note at the bottom of the enclosed letter was a nice touch.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:46 am

clyde_barrow wrote:got the viewbook in the mail today -- very cool (and funny; i know one of the ppl it spotlights). JR's handwritten, personalized note at the bottom of the enclosed letter was a nice touch.
autopen FTL

clyde_barrow

New

Post by clyde_barrow » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 am

englawyer wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:got the viewbook in the mail today -- very cool (and funny; i know one of the ppl it spotlights). JR's handwritten, personalized note at the bottom of the enclosed letter was a nice touch.
autopen FTL
lol. that's a damn impressive autopen

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:04 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
englawyer wrote:
autopen FTL
haha i am not sure either way. someone mentioned an autopen at some point but then they redacted it because it was like telling a 5-year old about santa claus.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:14 am

englawyer wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:
englawyer wrote:
autopen FTL
haha i am not sure either way. someone mentioned an autopen at some point but then they redacted it because it was like telling a 5-year old about santa claus.
doubt its an autopen.. autopen is for signatures only usually... hard to do it for so many disparate hand written notes

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:20 am

There's no way it was an autopen. JR mentioned an anecdote straight from my JR1 in his note... I doubt they'd go through the trouble to make 800 different autopen entries...

driveshaft

New

Post by driveshaft » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 am

GeePee wrote:There's no way it was an autopen. JR mentioned an anecdote straight from my JR1 in his note... I doubt they'd go through the trouble to make 800 different autopen entries...
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Seems this thread has gone dead! Not a lot going on in Cambridge these days...

MellonCollie

New

Post by MellonCollie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Anyone else still having trouble logging into the financial aid application?

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Just got in today! I'm really excited! Can't wait to see you all in Cambridge!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 pm

congrats on getting in! thread's been slow lately :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Zara wrote:Just got in today! I'm really excited! Can't wait to see you all in Cambridge!

congrats zara! i was lurking on the other thread and hoped you'd get it :D:D:D

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:28 pm

nixxers wrote:
Zara wrote:Just got in today! I'm really excited! Can't wait to see you all in Cambridge!

Thanks! How long does it take to get the password to the admitted student's site? Does it come by e-mail. Now that I no longer have to obsess about the jr2 I need something to occupy the part of the day that I've reserved for obsessing. :D

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Zara wrote:
nixxers wrote:

Thanks! How long does it take to get the password to the admitted student's site? Does it come by e-mail. Now that I no longer have to obsess about the jr2 I need something to occupy the part of the day that I've reserved for obsessing. :D
lol :) i think you have to wait for the admit packet to arrive. alas.

get offline and go celebrate instead!

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:36 pm

nixxers wrote:
Zara wrote:
nixxers wrote:

lol :) i think you have to wait for the admit packet to arrive. alas.

get offline and go celebrate instead!
I'd love to but I'm stuck at work with nothing to do because my students are in testing this week. But you better bet I'll be celebrating tonight!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”