In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adameus

Silver

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by adameus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Anyone headed to the ASW from March 6-8? Know of any good nearby hotels to stay at?

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:42 pm

adameus wrote:Anyone headed to the ASW from March 6-8? Know of any good nearby hotels to stay at?
I'll be there, but am staying w a friend.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:44 pm

adameus wrote:Anyone headed to the ASW from March 6-8? Know of any good nearby hotels to stay at?
i will be at the ASW from march 6-8. i am a local resident though so no hotel search for me. i usually recommend priceline.com and the "quincy market region" for name your own price. that should get you a hotel convenient to the red line so you can just take a train to and from harvard from downtown.

i am not sure what hotels are like around harvard itself though.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

hey guys, i'm going to asw, but i'm wondering whether it would be possible for me to actually stay with a friend in downtown boston. would doing this make things so inconvenient that i should just try and book at one of the hotels they suggest?

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:hey guys, i'm going to asw, but i'm wondering whether it would be possible for me to actually stay with a friend in downtown boston. would doing this make things so inconvenient that i should just try and book at one of the hotels they suggest?

No definitely not, Boston is just fine, you'll be able to get to HLS from anywhere in Boston in under an hour (and most places in under 30 mins). Not worth paying for a hotel, IMO. Feel free to PM me a more precise location of your friend and I'm happy to give directions/a closer time estimate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 pm

yeah the hotels they suggest are like 2 Hundy a night, forget that. Anyone know of a van with a mattress in the back I can use?

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:49 pm

adameus wrote:yeah the hotels they suggest are like 2 Hundy a night, forget that. Anyone know of a van with a mattress in the back I can use?
There's a hostel located in Boston (3.5 miles away fro HLS) that charges 29.99 per night (but you'd be sharing a room with 6 beds in it).

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Goddamn, even with the discounts the recommended one is like $170 per night... is there anything there that's decently close, less than $100 per night, and not absolutely shitty?

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Goddamn, even with the discounts the recommended one is like $170 per night... is there anything there that's decently close, less than $100 per night, and not absolutely shitty?
You might try something in Braintree or Quincy. The Red Line (the subway line that goes to Harvard) runs through these towns. Also, you could look at places along the other subway lines, which will bring you to a place where you can switch over to the Red Line (transfers don't cost extra). Places along Commuter Rail routes are also an option. Look at mbta.com for maps and schedules.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Goddamn, even with the discounts the recommended one is like $170 per night... is there anything there that's decently close, less than $100 per night, and not absolutely shitty?
If I find a van, you are welcome to stay in the back with me :) I mean that in a completely non-sexual way...
Just trying to be amicable to my fellow acceptees.

I think I'll look for a hotel in downtown Boston as my wife will also be coming and it should probably give her more to do while I'm attending some of the events. I found a couple for under a hundred per night and they seemed to be pretty nice.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm

Also, do we need to sign up? Are there are a limited # of spots for the march ASW?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 pm

do priceline.com, narrow your search to downtown boston, and do name your own price. you can usually get a room for $70/night or so at a really nice hotel. start naming your price at $40 and work upwards in ten dollar increments until you find a place. do not include any of the suburban neighborhoods in your search though or else you could end up somewhere very inconvenient.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:35 pm

adameus wrote:Also, do we need to sign up? Are there are a limited # of spots for the march ASW?
yes, i signed up for it somewhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:36 pm

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 pm

englawyer wrote:
do priceline.com, narrow your search to downtown boston, and do name your own price. you can usually get a room for $70/night or so at a really nice hotel. start naming your price at $40 and work upwards in ten dollar increments until you find a place. do not include any of the suburban neighborhoods in your search though or else you could end up somewhere very inconvenient.
Keep in mind that if you only want downtown Boston or Cambridge, that's still a few zones, so you can submit a combination of bids every 24 hours (A, B, C, A+B, A+C, B+C, A+B+C, etc) and go up a few dollars each time.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:27 pm

im_blue wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Keep in mind that if you only want downtown Boston or Cambridge, that's still a few zones, so you can submit a combination of bids every 24 hours (A, B, C, A+B, A+C, B+C, A+B+C, etc) and go up a few dollars each time.
what star level should I put for the hotel? I don't get exactly how this works. If I put in a bid am I entering a locked contract if that bid is accepted?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:49 pm

adameus wrote:
im_blue wrote:
englawyer wrote:
what star level should I put for the hotel? I don't get exactly how this works. If I put in a bid am I entering a locked contract if that bid is accepted?
yes, that is the trade-off. once you submit a bid and it is accepted, no refunds. you don't get to 100% know the hotel before you choose; you can only choose the general area. this has historically been worth it for me, although I do have one horror story. my girlfriend and I traveled to chicago for a short vacation and did priceline but included some of the suburban neighborhoods. we ended up with a hotel that was 45 minutes out and was a major pain in the you know what. that is why i recommended you focus your search on downtown boston or possibly include the neighborhoods listed by im_blue.

3+ is great, but if you are snobby go 4+ or cheap go 2+.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vybox

New

Post by vybox » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Has anyone sent in their deposit yet? Do you know if that would affect your chances of getting travel reimbursements or financial aid?

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 am

I'm not going to the ASW since it would cost at least $1000 for me to get there from Japan. I lived in Boston for two years so I'm already familiar with the area and the campus, but it would be nice to meet everyone and get some more information. Oh well, I'm sure this thread will explode with descriptions of it after you all get back.

people abroad, how long did it take you to get the acceptance letter in the mail?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 am

Zara wrote:I'm not going to the ASW since it would cost at least $1000 for me to get there from Japan. I lived in Boston for two years so I'm already familiar with the area and the campus, but it would be nice to meet everyone and get some more information. Oh well, I'm sure this thread will explode with descriptions of it after you all get back.

people abroad, how long did it take you to get the acceptance letter in the mail?
i planned on going, now i dont know since i may have to work on those days - or more like training i cant skip lol

we'll see

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:29 am

Anyone else heading to the April ASW?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 am

I am :)

Isa

New

Post by Isa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:36 pm

sayan wrote:I am :)
+1

SR86

New

Post by SR86 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Isa wrote:
sayan wrote:I am :)
+1
+1 here too

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 am

Still undecided between the 2 ASW's. The early April timeslot seems like a busy time for these events, but then again Harvard is the priority ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”