In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lz06

Bronze

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by lz06 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:06 am

Hello everyone :mrgreen:

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 am

tomhobbes wrote:
gasja_tearo wrote:
As for diversity, I wasn't too impressed. Didn't see as many minorities as I thought I would. I'm Asian, but I only saw 4 other asians?
If you count me, four and a half. Are you going to the April 22 Yale ASW?
Wait, really? I was hanging w Asians like half the weekend. But yeah, other than Asians, not much diversity.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:23 am

DoubleChecks wrote: huh, go figure. so there werent many asians there (HLS is like what, 10%? i mean thats much higher than ~4% but i guess the ivies have always been [relatively] low on %asians)...were there many texans? and everyone's mentioned "looks" -- what about age? or rather how old people looked? i can easily pass as a 16 yr old... :( and im trying to figure out which of my features will stick out the most lol.
Lots of the asians I met were also Texans, weirdly. Wide age range represented. 16 year old asian from texas would not seem out of place.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:45 am

My group was hell-bent on the cost-benefit analysis and thought that the physician would go on to save more people if we saved him, which I thought was not exactly applicable here. But due to group pressure, I gave in. At the end of the class, was called on to be the only "hold-out/caver" person...
i was in your class and remember that :P

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:33 pm

the thread i have dreamed about joining ever since i was a little girl! (or, um, since october, when i discovered the existence of TLS).

i am abroad (currently) and just found out i was accepted via status checker!! when are the remaining ASWs?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:33 pm

also, i really want paper confirmation of my acceptance...although my status checker says "Admitted"!!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Congrats to the new admits!
What do you guys think about the status of us JR1-holds? I kind of wish I could just e-mail Josh and ask what the holdup is lol...

vybox

New

Post by vybox » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 pm

What was the dress like at the ASW?

Did the financial aid segment talk about whether or not they've sent out any aid packages yet? Or when they expect to do so?

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 pm

brennanlives wrote:also, i really want paper confirmation of my acceptance...although my status checker says "Admitted"!!
It's worth the wait for the handwritten note from JR. Congrats :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:14 pm

knola002 wrote:
brennanlives wrote:also, i really want paper confirmation of my acceptance...although my status checker says "Admitted"!!
How long of a wait is it?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

psychomohel wrote:
knola002 wrote:
How long of a wait is it?
i dont know how long it would take during this time of the cycle, but back in mid-nov, i got the call monday and it took a whole week for me to get the mailed package...but id imagine (hope) the process would be faster now?

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:23 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: i dont know how long it would take during this time of the cycle, but back in mid-nov, i got the call monday and it took a whole week for me to get the mailed package...but id imagine (hope) the process would be faster now?
My status checker says that it was mailed out today---maybe I'll have it by the end of the week. I hope the email becomes available before that.

clyde_barrow

New

Post by clyde_barrow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 pm

vybox wrote:What was the dress like at the ASW?

Did the financial aid segment talk about whether or not they've sent out any aid packages yet? Or when they expect to do so?
attire was on the dressier side of casual, i'd say. (according to the ASW email, "casual attire is appropriate.") i don't think the finaid panel said anything about timing on aid packages, but i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that they shoot for a 2-week turnaround from the point that they receive your aid forms.

the finaid people were great, btw. raised my opinion of HLS's LRAP; i had no idea yale's COAP is on a 15-year repayment schedule (instead of the standard 10-year, which harvard's is on).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 pm

clyde_barrow wrote:

attire was on the dressier side of casual, i'd say. (according to the ASW email, "casual attire is appropriate.") i don't think the finaid panel said anything about timing on aid packages, but i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that they shoot for a 2-week turnaround from the point that they receive your aid forms.

the finaid people were great, btw. raised my opinion of HLS's LRAP; i had no idea yale's COAP is on a 15-year repayment schedule (instead of the standard 10-year, which harvard's is on).
Why would that raise your opinion of HLS's LRAP? The longer the schedule means the lower your payments, and since you get IBR after 10 years then lower payments is pretty much strictly better.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 pm

GeePee wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:

Why would that raise your opinion of HLS's LRAP? The longer the schedule means the lower your payments, and since you get IBR after 10 years then lower payments is pretty much strictly better.
The role of the PI venture fund was never made totally clear. I get the impression that it can be used to supplement the LRAP if you have a good enough proposal. One of the possible uses they mentioned was "income supplementation" or something like that. I wonder if this is sort of a back door for providing more funding for PI, since LIPP is based exclusively on income.

Edit: oh and they said I should expect my finaid package in like 2 weeks. I submitted everything in mib-Feb.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey hey. Glad to be in this thread.

I've been doing very little for the past 24 hours aside from reading about Harvard and the more I look at the resources they have available for students the more impressed I get. There are literally dozens of faculty members who I'd like to work with. I think I can really buy into the value of attending a large school. . .

Can somebody tell me (or PM) what factors are used to determine your e-mail address/login? Is it some combination of your first initial and last name @jd13.law.harvard.edu ?

I'm too impatient and excited to wait for my binder :D

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Unfortunately, you need an activation code to set up your admitted student login. None of us can really give that to you.

Your email address will be (for example, for Not A. Number): nnumber@jd13.law.harvard.edu

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:14 pm

GeePee wrote:Unfortunately, you need an activation code to set up your admitted student login. None of us can really give that to you.

Your email address will be (for example, for Not A. Number): nnumber@jd13.law.harvard.edu

Thanks! I guess I'll just have to anxiously wait for the mail. :|

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

gasja_tearo wrote: - Student Life Panel: they got an interesting group of people to talk to us. Didn't really learn much though, everything was pretty much nice, nice, nice. I was intrigued by the Federalist Society guy's reactions when the lesbian girl was talking about falling in love and neglecting school work.
Cultural competency tip: "lesbian girl" is akin to "latina woman."

gasja_tearo

New

Post by gasja_tearo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 am

lawyering wrote:
gasja_tearo wrote: - Student Life Panel: they got an interesting group of people to talk to us. Didn't really learn much though, everything was pretty much nice, nice, nice. I was intrigued by the Federalist Society guy's reactions when the lesbian girl was talking about falling in love and neglecting school work.
Well Mr. Lawyering, if you want to get really anal about it, "girl" is more specific in that it tells you something about the general age of the lesbian - that she is relatively young. For example, the image you would call up is probably not a forty year old lesbian because of the word "girl." If I used "lesbian woman" the age range would be less specific. Therefore it is not exactly "akin" to "latina woman" where the description doesn't tell you anything about the subject's age.

Point 2 (sorry to one-up your attempt to be a smart-ass lol): even if we say the two are the same (which they are not), it would not be cultural competency now would it? More like linguistic. You probably subconsciously thought "cultural" just because I revealed my "otherness" in terms of background.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 am

knola002 wrote:
did you guys get a personalized note? all mine said was that he looked forward to meeting me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:41 am

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
knola002 wrote:
did you guys get a personalized note? all mine said was that he looked forward to meeting me.
mine said "looking forward to helping you learn more about our health law offerings"

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 am

mine was the same as yours pimp, written in what was definetely male hand writing so I think it was probably JR who actually wrote it.

BLi

New

Post by BLi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:27 am

gasja_tearo wrote:
lawyering wrote:
Well Mr. Lawyering, if you want to get really anal about it, "girl" is more specific in that it tells you something about the general age of the lesbian - that she is relatively young. For example, the image you would call up is probably not a forty year old lesbian because of the word "girl." If I used "lesbian woman" the age range would be less specific. Therefore it is not exactly "akin" to "latina woman" where the description doesn't tell you anything about the subject's age.

Point 2 (sorry to one-up your attempt to be a smart-ass lol): even if we say the two are the same (which they are not), it would not be cultural competency now would it? More like linguistic. You probably subconsciously thought "cultural" just because I revealed my "otherness" in terms of background.
although i don't know where lawyering was coming from regarding "cultural competency (your "point two", fill us in, lawyering?), your "point one" is wrong.

if you were going for specificity, you could do better with adding a non-redundant modifier, like "fifteen-year-old" or "young" before "lesbian". on a purely technical basis, using the word "girl" after "lesbian" is just as vague and redundant as using the word "woman" after "latina".
the description "latina woman" tells you something of the latina's age, except it does so with unneeded redundancy. the fact she is of the female persuasian is already evident in the suffix "a" in "latina". this is the point lawyering is making.

the narrowness of what categorizes "woman" and what categorizes "girl" is largely cultural and at least partly subjective.

although, in the context of the sentence, where the remark made was flippant and the age of the girl unimportant, why would you add a vague and redundant modifier to indicate her age?
you wouldn't and i don't think you did. i think you just accidentally said "lesbian girl" like any other normal person might and then, when some asshole called you out on it (lol lawyering), you constructed a (weak) linguistic defense.

edit:while "unneeded redundancy" sounds redundant, i use this phrase in its linguistic context, in which redundancies can be unneeded, or integral, to communication.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 am

I don't have access to the admitted students site yet, would someone mind telling me how travel reimbursements work for ASD? Do you need to show receipts, and how much $ do they give? Thanks everyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”