In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Gold

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:53 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
managamy wrote:Anyone else get a follow-up email from JR asking about your other options and discussing financial aid comparisons?
yeah but i didnt really reply...since it seemed like those types of questions that you dont have to answer lol. that and for many reasons, HLS is my #1 choice. dont need extra convincing ;)
I did reply and got an incredibly detailed email in return, which was CC'ed to lots of people in the administration so that they can contact me on an individual basis. FYI in case anyone else wants to reply.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:48 am

managamy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
managamy wrote:Anyone else get a follow-up email from JR asking about your other options and discussing financial aid comparisons?
yeah but i didnt really reply...since it seemed like those types of questions that you dont have to answer lol. that and for many reasons, HLS is my #1 choice. dont need extra convincing ;)
I did reply and got an incredibly detailed email in return, which was CC'ed to lots of people in the administration so that they can contact me on an individual basis. FYI in case anyone else wants to reply.
+1. I am almost in tears, because I am so touched about the extent to whcih JR went to convince me that Harvard is the school for me. Not only did he elaborate in terms of his own experiences about the sort of "tour guidey" (I'm an admissions guide at my undergrad- I know what we're meant to play up) reasons why Harvard is great...he also put me in touch with a student who turned down a Darrow for Harvard (the same decision I am facing) -- as well as someone in financial aid -- AND someone else who handles fellowships etc for HLS students -- in short, a wealth of resources, just because I emailed him back being like "OMG I DONT KNOW WUT I SHUD DO". Look, I go to a really selective undergrad and I do not think they would do that here. This is so cool. I have no idea who to ask what first. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:11 am

nixxers wrote:
managamy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
+1. I am almost in tears, because I am so touched about the extent to whcih JR went to convince me that Harvard is the school for me. Not only did he elaborate in terms of his own experiences about the sort of "tour guidey" (I'm an admissions guide at my undergrad- I know what we're meant to play up) reasons why Harvard is great...he also put me in touch with a student who turned down a Darrow for Harvard (the same decision I am facing) -- as well as someone in financial aid -- AND someone else who handles fellowships etc for HLS students -- in short, a wealth of resources, just because I emailed him back being like "OMG I DONT KNOW WUT I SHUD DO". Look, I go to a really selective undergrad and I do not think they would do that here. This is so cool. I have no idea who to ask what first. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D
They will contact you because he CC'ed them. JR is the most wonderful adcom whom I have the pleasure to know.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 am

nixxers wrote:
do you have a tendency to purchase things from those late-night infomercials?

:P :P :P

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:03 am

englawyer wrote:
nixxers wrote:

LOL negative, but I do have a tendency to write on TLS when intoxicated apparently >.>

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:15 am

nixxers wrote:
englawyer wrote:
nixxers wrote:

LOL negative, but I do have a tendency to write on TLS when intoxicated apparently >.>
Did you email JR back while drunk with that exact line? hahaha

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 am

SolarWind wrote:
nixxers wrote:
englawyer wrote:
nixxers wrote:

aaaand i just busted out laughing in the middle of math. :shock: WHOOPS

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 pm

nixxers wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
nixxers wrote:

Did you email JR back while drunk with that exact line? hahaha[/quote]

aaaand i just busted out laughing in the middle of math. :shock: WHOOPS[/quote]

This whole exchange made me LOL, but JR does write a nice email. It definitely gave me 2 or 3 minutes of "hmm, maybe I should just give them a deposit and be done with this. They're so nice" before I came back to my senses.

Has anyone actually received an email from the cc'd parties though? I'm trying to figure out if I need to email them with questions or if they'll just reach out to me and be helpful. Thanks. 8)

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Lysis wrote:
nixxers wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
nixxers wrote:

aaaand i just busted out laughing in the middle of math. :shock: WHOOPS[/quote]

This whole exchange made me LOL, but JR does write a nice email. It definitely gave me 2 or 3 minutes of "hmm, maybe I should just give them a deposit and be done with this. They're so nice" before I came back to my senses.

Has anyone actually received an email from the cc'd parties though? I'm trying to figure out if I need to email them with questions or if they'll just reach out to me and be helpful. Thanks. 8)[/quote]

Yeah, I got an email from the financial aid guy this morning.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Great! Thanks.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey guys, can anyone help me with getting onto the Admitted students site. I was accepted on Monday and I'm waiting patiently for my package to arrive and it just won't come!!!!! I know its not really that long, but I was wondering if there is a general login or whatever based on your user name.

Inches

New

Post by Inches » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Zara wrote:Anyone in here abroad? If so what time did JR call you for the JR2? I'm guessing he probably makes calls from like 8am-8pm which would be 10pm-10am my time. Did anyone get a call on a day other than Monday?
I'm abroad and got my call on the Tuesday pre Thanksgiving - he called promptly at 8am HLS-time (6pm for me), but I wasn't able to pick up so he followed with an email a few minutes later. It seems I was the only admit that day, which makes me think he got to me on his list Monday, realized that it was too late to call in my time zone, and made a point of calling first thing in the morning. JR is a pretty conscientious guy, I think.

Good luck!

MellonCollie

New

Post by MellonCollie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:34 pm

One thing that I've seen mentioned a few times in the viewbooks and other HLS correspondence is the "increased support for public service." Does anyone know what that means? I was under the impression that the only recent change was taking away the 3L-for-free provision.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cae

New

Post by cae » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:16 pm

MellonCollie wrote:One thing that I've seen mentioned a few times in the viewbooks and other HLS correspondence is the "increased support for public service." Does anyone know what that means? I was under the impression that the only recent change was taking away the 3L-for-free provision.
They've upped the availability of summer funding for students who take public interest internships. Up to $500/week, if I remember correctly. I also read something about one-year fellowships for a small number of graduating students who take PI jobs.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:02 pm

I got follow-up emails from 2 of the people who were CC'ed by JR yesterday.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:17 am

Is anyone else finding it slightly awkward as they try to respond to that "what's our competition" email from JR?

Also, now that I'm admitted, do you think he would give me an honest answer if I asked if my unprestigious undergrad is a liability? As I've browsed the few Yale and Stanford acceptances on LSN I've noticed that maybe 90% of them are from Ivies, or other elite schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:33 am

tomhobbes wrote:Is anyone else finding it slightly awkward as they try to respond to that "what's our competition" email from JR?

Also, now that I'm admitted, do you think he would give me an honest answer if I asked if my unprestigious undergrad is a liability? As I've browsed the few Yale and Stanford acceptances on LSN I've noticed that maybe 90% of them are from Ivies, or other elite schools.
i didn't get the competition email, but i noticed the same trend. yale does only have 76 undergrad institutions represented.

i wouldn't ask the question because he might be offended that Harvard has to settle for TTT undergrads or something to keep up the medians :lol:

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:38 am

tomhobbes wrote:
I've noticed on the Yale-Stanford trend, but I don't see why you would ask JR about Yale and Stanford trends.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 am

managamy wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
I've noticed on the Yale-Stanford trend, but I don't see why you would ask JR about Yale and Stanford trends.
exactly. it could translate as

"hey JR...thanks for letting me into Harvard. now that I am in your TTT school, do you think I have a shot at Yale or am I coming to Cambridge?"

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Yeah, good point. Maybe I'll ask him if I end up attending Harvard and meet him sometime. I don't think Harvard lacks the Ivy-favoring, though. Obviously, it's admitted a lot more students from state schools than Stanford and Yale have so far, but the requirements they have to meet seem to be higher. I got into Harvard, but it could still be the case that they treated my school as a negative soft factor.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Yeah, good point. Maybe I'll ask him if I end up attending Harvard and meet him sometime. I don't think Harvard lacks the Ivy-favoring, though. Obviously, it's admitted a lot more students from state schools than Stanford and Yale have so far, but the requirements they have to meet seem to be higher. I got into Harvard, but it could still be the case that they treated my school as a negative soft factor.
there certainly is some favoritism; i believe 10% of the harvard incoming class is from harvard undergrad alone.

for me, it makes the admit that much more sweet :)

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:12 pm

tomhobbes wrote:Yeah, good point. Maybe I'll ask him if I end up attending Harvard and meet him sometime. I don't think Harvard lacks the Ivy-favoring, though. Obviously, it's admitted a lot more students from state schools than Stanford and Yale have so far, but the requirements they have to meet seem to be higher. I got into Harvard, but it could still be the case that they treated my school as a negative soft factor.
FWIW, my sister knows several people at both YLS and HLS. The YLS students are invariably from Ivies or Stanford, while the HLS students are much more diversified. Obviously, it's just a microcosm, though.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm

I have heard (via my sister, again) that both Harvard and Yale have policies that "enhance" the hard factors of applicants from their undergrad programs. PM if you want details.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:08 am

Wow, Elizabeth Warren just emailed and invited me to ask her questions about HLS :shock:

I didn't know HLS gives you a faculty contact in addition to a student contact 8)
Last edited by sayan on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”