In at Harvard! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
janer

New

Re: In at Harvard!

Post by janer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm

englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:
knola002 wrote:Got my finaid offer today. 70k in loans . . . yay :P
so no grants at all?
70k loan package for me as well :( (no grants)
+1. I think this may end my dream of going to Harvard.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:28 pm

janer wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:
so no grants at all?
you're not willing to take on that debt?

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 pm

janer wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:
so no grants at all?
I dunno, even with 175,000+ in debt, I don't really see too much of a problem paying it off after graduating from Harvard.

Also, I don't think you'll have to spend 71,000 each year at Harvard, even if thats what they estimate it at. Thats a quite high estimate on COL.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 pm

janer wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Zara wrote:
so no grants at all?
calm down everyone. we are not going to end up in debtor's prison.

first, the 70k is a little inflated. it is not necessary to take out all that debt if you want to be cheap. i would say 65k is sufficient, so you are looking at 195k nominally.

then during 1L, they guarantee a stipend for public interest work of $500/wk (SPIF) so that takes off $5,000 roughly.
then you can work part-time for kaplan or whatever to make around $1k/mo so another $10k/yr.
then you can estimate 30k for 2L summer funding.

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous 8)

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Na_Swatch wrote: Also, I don't think you'll have to spend 71,000 each year at Harvard, even if thats what they estimate it at. Thats a quite high estimate on COL.
You forget the mandatory "bring your own caviar" section parties. HLS is classy like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 pm

janer

New

Post by janer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:56 pm

englawyer wrote:
janer wrote: +1. I think this may end my dream of going to Harvard.
calm down everyone. we are not going to end up in debtor's prison.

first, the 70k is a little inflated. it is not necessary to take out all that debt if you want to be cheap. i would say 65k is sufficient, so you are looking at 195k nominally.

then during 1L, they guarantee a stipend for public interest work of $500/wk (SPIF) so that takes off $5,000 roughly.
then you can work part-time for kaplan or whatever to make around $1k/mo so another $10k/yr.

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous 8)
But I could go to a lower T10 school and graduate with hardly any debt. Based on my career goals, I don't think HLS is worth the extra $130K.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:48 pm

janer wrote: But I could go to a lower T10 school and graduate with hardly any debt. Based on my career goals, I don't think HLS is worth the extra $130K.
curious about this sentiment; what are your career goals?

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:03 pm

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous

I'm not sure about that. $500 a week won't take off 5k from your debt because you still have to pay to live during the summer. The cost of living is only assessed for 9 months. The summer isn't covered under the loans so whatever you make during the summer will have to support you for those 3 months. Sure you can probably save a bit especially if you can find public interest work that pays a little but if you are living in any major city, you likely won't be able to save much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Zara wrote:

thus: 195 - 5 - 30- 30 = 130k of debt upon graduation. it is quite a bit, but not outrageous

I'm not sure about that. $500 a week won't take off 5k from your debt because you still have to pay to live during the summer. The cost of living is only assessed for 9 months. The summer isn't covered under the loans so whatever you make during the summer will have to support you for those 3 months. Sure you can probably save a bit especially if you can find public interest work that pays a little but if you are living in any major city, you likely won't be able to save much.
yaya, you caught me fudging a bit. i am now motivated to study for the patent bar so i can get a nicely paid 1L summer gig :)

chelita

New

Post by chelita » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm currently living abroad so my admissions packet went to my parent's house and they can't find it now (v. annoying!). I have the link to the online viewbook, but was wondering if anyone has the link to the admitted students website? (Is there one?) I am curious about things like housing for next year and want to find out more info.
Thanks for your help!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:31 pm

chelita wrote:I'm currently living abroad so my admissions packet went to my parent's house and they can't find it now (v. annoying!). I have the link to the online viewbook, but was wondering if anyone has the link to the admitted students website? (Is there one?) I am curious about things like housing for next year and want to find out more info.
Thanks for your help!

you'll need a special "Initialization" code or something of that sort that is unique to you and should come in your package. I think your best bet is probably just to email the admissions office, explain the situation and ask for your login and code to the admitted students site.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 pm

adameus wrote:
chelita wrote:I'm currently living abroad so my admissions packet went to my parent's house and they can't find it now (v. annoying!). I have the link to the online viewbook, but was wondering if anyone has the link to the admitted students website? (Is there one?) I am curious about things like housing for next year and want to find out more info.
Thanks for your help!

you'll need a special "Initialization" code or something of that sort that is unique to you and should come in your package. I think your best bet is probably just to email the admissions office, explain the situation and ask for your login and code to the admitted students site.
I did this and they told me they don't keep records of it for security reasons and that I would just have to wait for the packet :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:19 pm

lz06 wrote:
adameus wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I did this and they told me they don't keep records of it for security reasons and that I would just have to wait for the packet :|
I find it hard to believe there isn't something that can be done if the packet is lost... the IT people have to be able to create a new code or whatever. Maybe your parents are just trying to sabotage you going to Harvard?

rupert.pupkin

New

Post by rupert.pupkin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Where can I find this country with no income taxes/social security/medicare?

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks for your help!
The admitted student website is
http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... index.html

You will need your user name to log in: if the name is Harry Smith, the user name is hsmith.jd13 and the password is your LSAC account number.

Hope this helps.

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:29 pm

adameus wrote:
lz06 wrote:
adameus wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I find it hard to believe there isn't something that can be done if the packet is lost... the IT people have to be able to create a new code or whatever. Maybe your parents are just trying to sabotage you going to Harvard?
We have a special initialization code?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 pm

bluedolphins wrote:
We have a special initialization code?
the first time you logged in an initialization code was required. You can forget about it after that.

chelita

New

Post by chelita » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:44 pm

I emailed the admissions office and they said they can't send me another packet, sigh. I guess I will have to get all my information about HLS from TLS, haha. Thanks guys!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I'll be sending in my deposit check in the next week or so I think. Hope to see you all in August!

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Same here. We should have a TLS meet at the beginning of the semester to keep up the tradition :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 pm

GeePee wrote:I'll be sending in my deposit check in the next week or so I think. Hope to see you all in August!
congrats on the end of the cycle!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:19 pm

GeePee wrote:I'll be sending in my deposit check in the next week or so I think. Hope to see you all in August!
haha +1 me too, see you guys in Cambridge

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:59 pm

What are people doing for housing? Are most of you looking for on campus or off campus and are you planning on trying to find a roommate?

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 am

Off campus solo for the first year. Don't want any distractions or unpleasant surprises before I settle in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”