Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chango

Re: Southwestern

Postby chango » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:00 am

misled_drummer wrote:I'll be doing Appellate.

And why is their health insurance so expensive?

Expensive?! Are you kidding me?! I currently pay $700 a month for Kaiser for my partner and me through my small business, so I will be saving thousands of dollars over the next three years.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:10 am

If you start out in the part time program, I think it's best to stay in the part time program and get a part time job with a practicing lawyer. If you transfer to the full time program, you will not be able to work the first summer because you'll be busy with classes. In any case, taking 5 classes with the same people during 1L is the full time experience. Once 1L is over, it doesn't really matter much what program you are in.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Yeah I'm going to hold off saying I'm willing to do the part time program for now, I'd much rather go full time. If they don't accept me I'm sticking with Thomas Jefferson with half tuition.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:14 pm

On second thought, I said I'd be willing to go part time. That and a LOCI I sent about a week ago, now I guess I just have to wait and see.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 pm

It's June 15th! Classes start Aug 3! Anyone got an update?

cubedweller

Postby cubedweller » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:31 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:It's June 15th! Classes start Aug 3! Anyone got an update?

Nope... still WL'd... don't have much hope at this point though...

justright157

Postby justright157 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:47 pm

don't lose hope bro. talked to a person who said that they haven't wait gone to the waitlist at all yet but they anticipate to at some point. they are still processing students after the 2nd deposit deadline.

you never know what can happen bro....things can change so fast!

cubedweller wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:It's June 15th! Classes start Aug 3! Anyone got an update?

Nope... still WL'd... don't have much hope at this point though...

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:40 am

Lawschoolmike: As usual, calm down! Classes don't start until August 16th not the 3rd, and that's not core classes (they start the week after that).

All others waiting: The first year packages were sent out last Friday and one has until June 30th to sign, agree to the terms and return them, so I would imagine it's after July 1st that they would actually look to the wait list.

OK, that's all I have at the moment!!

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 am

filmbuff wrote:Lawschoolmike: As usual, calm down! Classes don't start until August 16th not the 3rd, and that's not core classes (they start the week after that).

All others waiting: The first year packages were sent out last Friday and one has until June 30th to sign, agree to the terms and return them, so I would imagine it's after July 1st that they would actually look to the wait list.

OK, that's all I have at the moment!!

Thanks!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:36 pm

I am curious as to how the vast majority of schools throughout the country have fairly active waitlists, and have been pulling from them in small batches for the past month. Yet schools such as Southwestern, Chapman, and the like have absolutely ZERO activity. I don't know, it just seems strange to me.

As for me, I'm probably staying put where I'm at. There is something to be said about actually being wanted... plus a full ride certainly doesn't hurt. If I do well enough to transfer to a school such as USC, I'd look into it, but if not, I'd be content where I'm at.

Good luck kids!

Oakley84

Postby Oakley84 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Maybe it's because these schools are at the bottom of the trickle down, or MELT as an admissions counselor at another school explained to me, and they are waiting to see what they are left with before school starts so they can pick from there?? I guess that would make sense, rather than to admit students who are still waiting on other schools that may take them still.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Oakley84 wrote:Maybe it's because these schools are at the bottom of the trickle down, or MELT as an admissions counselor at another school explained to me, and they are waiting to see what they are left with before school starts so they can pick from there?? I guess that would make sense, rather than to admit students who are still waiting on other schools that may take them still.

This sounds very plausible, lol.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm

They probably either admitted too many people or had a higher than expected yield.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:35 pm

If and when they do accept people off the wait list will they want two $500 deposits like the other admits?

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Birdman wrote:If and when they do accept people off the wait list will they want two $500 deposits like the other admits?

I'd assume so. If not, maybe they are lumped on top of tuition. Why would the wait-list group not be made to pay a fee?

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Their payments were spread out, were as ours would be within a month or so. Also, I don't have a grand laying around (well I do but that money is for moving/ first month's rent) so that could become a problem. One $500 deposit I might be able to swing by doing a cash advance.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Birdman wrote:Their payments were spread out, were as ours would be within a month or so. Also, I don't have a grand laying around (well I do but that money is for moving/ first month's rent) so that could become a problem. One $500 deposit I might be able to swing by doing a cash advance.

Same here on the relocation cash. Plus, dumping a grand in-the-blink-of-an-eye after a wait-list seems like a "mild" kick in the nuts. I guess it's part of a rite of passage, lol. I'd settle for some type of bodily ceremonial tribal scarring over paying a seat deposit after waiting, but I'm not getting my hopes up, lol.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:20 am

The last few emails I've sent over the past few weeks weren't responded to, has anyone else gotten responses from the admissions office? Just wondering if I should mail my LOCI also since they didn't respond to my email.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 am

$1000 bucks.... and I was just about to quit my second job, thanks guys. But I'm getting ahead of myself, im not in yet lol.

This has been me for the past year:
--ImageRemoved--

This has been me for the past month (nearing the end of waiting):

This is how my two bit** bosses will react when I them I quit! I am going to law school bit**es!(hopefully)

This is me after I walk out
--ImageRemoved--

Shawshank Redemption greatest movie ever made.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 am

Lol, that's exactly how I felt when I left my job a few weeks ago.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:30 am

I have a month and a half left. Today, I was given a final warning that I would get fired if I didn't shape-up. I earn minimum wage plus tips. My manager has no high school diploma, is in the country illegally with a fake SSN, and began speaking English at age 15.

I'm still waiting on SW, but now I hope I don't get fired, lol.

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 am

I would imagine you should be prepared to put down the deposit fee as it's the manner in which your incoming seat is secured (in case you choose not to show up the day classes begin and have gone elsewhere). In fact, I recall on my wait list letters for Loyola and Pepperdine that both schools specified something along the lines of "you will be required to deposit the full amount of $XXXX immediately if you choose to accept our offer of admission from your current wait list position." Mind you, if it's really a financial hardship, I would ask ahead of time what the process would be to apply it to your fees. I hope you all have this seat deposit problem in the end!

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:19 am

filmbuff wrote:I would imagine you should be prepared to put down the deposit fee as it's the manner in which your incoming seat is secured (in case you choose not to show up the day classes begin and have gone elsewhere). In fact, I recall on my wait list letters for Loyola and Pepperdine that both schools specified something along the lines of "you will be required to deposit the full amount of $XXXX immediately if you choose to accept our offer of admission from your current wait list position." Mind you, if it's really a financial hardship, I would ask ahead of time what the process would be to apply it to your fees. I hope you all have this seat deposit problem in the end!

I hope we have to pay seat deposits without problems, too!

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:26 pm

They responded to my email about my willingness to do part time saying they would let me know if there is any change in my wait list status. I'm at the point where any update is exciting.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Really weird, when I originally applied I debated whether or not to put part time or full time down as my number one choice, because although I wanted to go full time I figured part time would give me a better shot at admission. I thought I had placed part time as my number one but on my status checker it has always said traditional day, so I figured I was just mistaken and had actually put day as my number one. Just looked at my application on lsac and I had in fact put part time as my number one choice... Did anyone else here apply with part time as their number one choice and did it say on the status checker under program time "part time evening"? Just curious, I really wish I had noticed this sooner, because it looks like they considered me for full time day admission and got wait listed under that instead of part time.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”