Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chango

Re: Southwestern

Postby chango » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:32 pm

cconnoll wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
chango wrote:So you're saying Southwestern beats UCLA in terms of Entertainment Law? I know you're being a loyal cheerleader for your chosen law school, but really now...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/entertai ... hools.html

That article is ludicrous. Southwestern has over 40 courses in entertainment/media law. UCLA has only 16. Plenty of people come to Southwestern specifically for the unparalleled entertainment law curriculum. I don't think that can be said of UCLA.

The question everyone wants to ask, yet no one has asked yet; since a lot of people go to SouthWestern solely to break into entertainment law, and considering we know how vain the entertainment industry is, are the 1L females hotter than you'd expect the average 1L female to be?

Of all the southern california law schools I visited, Southwestern had the best looking student body. USC, surprisingly, had the worst looking.

cconnoll

Postby cconnoll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38 am

Danteshek wrote:
cconnoll wrote:The question everyone wants to ask, yet no one has asked yet; since a lot of people go to Southwestern solely to break into entertainment law, and considering we know how vain the entertainment industry is, are the 1L females hotter than you'd expect the average 1L female to be?

There are a lot of hot people, especially the 1Ls this year. It's actually creating somewhat of a problem for me as I'm having a hard time choosing. I'm like a kid at a candy store.

Choose? Shouldn't you try all the candy before committing to one specific type? CWSL has decent IP and Enter. & Sports law classes, but obviously, the hub of jobs related to these fields are going to located more so in LA than in SD. Its amazing how many internships are on LA's craiglist. You should have no problem of getting a great internship, or even possibly a job for the summer in LA.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm

cconnoll wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
cconnoll wrote:The question everyone wants to ask, yet no one has asked yet; since a lot of people go to Southwestern solely to break into entertainment law, and considering we know how vain the entertainment industry is, are the 1L females hotter than you'd expect the average 1L female to be?

There are a lot of hot people, especially the 1Ls this year. It's actually creating somewhat of a problem for me as I'm having a hard time choosing. I'm like a kid at a candy store.

Choose? Shouldn't you try all the candy before committing to one specific type? CWSL has decent IP and Enter. & Sports law classes, but obviously, the hub of jobs related to these fields are going to located more so in LA than in SD. Its amazing how many internships are on LA's craiglist. You should have no problem of getting a great internship, or even possibly a job for the summer in LA.

I was talking about girls. It's not great for your reputation to "try all the candy"...

Bruin2009

Postby Bruin2009 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 pm

my status says that the decision was sent... but nothing in the deposit box. is this a sign i was rejected?

Temka

Postby Temka » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Bruin2009 wrote:my status says that the decision was sent... but nothing in the deposit box. is this a sign i was rejected?

No it does not. My status only said that for a minute and then the deposits thing went away. They just made it blank for everyone on the status checker. You could still be accepted

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Bruin2009 wrote:my status says that the decision was sent... but nothing in the deposit box. is this a sign i was rejected?

I really doubt Southwestern would reject a 3.3/161 from UCLA. We had 94 UCLA grads in the 1L class this year. You would have had to really screw up to pull that off. I think you have a good chance of getting in with money. Why did you apply to so many law schools? Would you really go to all those places?

cconnoll

Postby cconnoll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Danteshek wrote:

I really doubt Southwestern would reject a 3.3/161 from UCLA. We had 94 UCLA grads in the 1L class this year. You would have had to really screw up to pull that off. I think you have a good chance of getting in with money. Why did you apply to so many law schools? Would you really go to all those places?

I got in with a 3.2 and a 154. Bruin2009, you should have no trouble getting in, and most likely receive some scholarship $$$. Danteshek, does Southwestern hold any kind of Entertainment job fairs? I know CWSL does this March, but I wasn't sure if Southwestern had one planned as well.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:49 pm

cconnoll wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

I got in with a 3.2 and a 154. Bruin2009, you should have no trouble getting in, and most likely receive some scholarship $$$. Danteshek, does Southwestern hold any kind of Entertainment job fairs? I know CWSL does this March, but I wasn't sure if Southwestern had one planned as well.

Yes. Not sure it's been announced yet. Last year it was in late Feb.

usrname4

Postby usrname4 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Nope, mine doesn't say anything about a "deposit box." It just says "final decision mailed," then a week later I got in. You're gonna be fine.

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi all, I got accepted today but there was no info about scholarships or other dollars--for those of you who have been accepted, does scholarship info come with the acceptance packet or later on?

Thanks!

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 pm

I got a letter to set up an interview for the scale program. I was mildly interested at first, but definitely not anymore. I just want to do full time day division. Will I come off as a dick if I decline the interview? I think I will send an email stating that my priorities have changed, but I'm happy to visit the school and meet with someone from the admissions office regarding my application to the full time day program. Any suggestions?

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 pm

yo! wrote:I got a letter to set up an interview for the scale program. I was mildly interested at first, but definitely not anymore. I just want to do full time day division. Will I come off as a dick if I decline the interview? I think I will send an email stating that my priorities have changed, but I'm happy to visit the school and meet with someone from the admissions office regarding my application to the full time day program. Any suggestions?

I just called and politely requested that my name be removed from consideration. The woman I spoke to was extremely nice and understanding about it. Just tell them that you think you would benefit more from a traditional program.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 pm

meddlingkid wrote:
yo! wrote:I got a letter to set up an interview for the scale program. I was mildly interested at first, but definitely not anymore. I just want to do full time day division. Will I come off as a dick if I decline the interview? I think I will send an email stating that my priorities have changed, but I'm happy to visit the school and meet with someone from the admissions office regarding my application to the full time day program. Any suggestions?

I just called and politely requested that my name be removed from consideration. The woman I spoke to was extremely nice and understanding about it. Just tell them that you think you would benefit more from a traditional program.

Thank you, will do this.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:27 pm

There's definitely no shame in changing your mind about what program you want to do. SCALE has no trouble at all filling up its class. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect the overall competition in the Day program is probably the weakest between Day, Evening and SCALE. This is mostly a function of student age and maturity. It's probably also true that each of those program have very strong students in the top quarter or so (with probably more depth in the SCALE and possibly Evening program).

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:07 am

The Southwestern/UBC Vancouver Summer program was recently recognized as the 10th "most captivating" by the Greedy Associates blog. Check it out:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/greedy_associa ... -2010.html

Bruin2009

Postby Bruin2009 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:18 am

Danteshek wrote:

I believe I was accepted because I got a big package :) I will withdraw very soon.

I applied to many many schools because I have(had) this weird fear that I won't be accepted anywhere :/

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Just found out my interview schedule for Feb 6 career fair at UCLA:

US Department of Justice - Environmental Enforcement (Washington DC)
US Department of Labor (Los Angeles)
Children's Law Center (Monterey Park)

yo!

Postby yo! » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Danteshek wrote:Just found out my interview schedule for Feb 6 career fair at UCLA:

I'm jealous, best of luck to you!

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Danteshek wrote:Just found out my interview schedule for Feb 6 career fair at UCLA:

That's awesome! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:48 pm

littlepiggie818 you should come to UCLA on Feb 6 with copies of your resume and see if you can get an internship for this summer. Also come for the networking. There will be 50+ public interest organizations and tables.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Danteshek wrote:littlepiggie818 you should come to UCLA on Feb 6 with copies of your resume and see if you can get an internship for this summer. Also come for the networking. There will be 50+ public interest organizations and tables.

Would they consider someone who is not in law school yet? I would love to have some on hand experience before I start school.

Want2Go2LawSchool

Postby Want2Go2LawSchool » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 pm

DELETE!
Last edited by Want2Go2LawSchool on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Want2Go2LawSchool wrote:I got in last week with 153 LSAT and 3.5 GPA. Really avoiding going there, last resort.

Why? The school has a pretty good reputation and with your weak numbers (no offense, of course), you probably shouldn't be too picky.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:08 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:littlepiggie818 you should come to UCLA on Feb 6 with copies of your resume and see if you can get an internship for this summer. Also come for the networking. There will be 50+ public interest organizations and tables.

Would they consider someone who is not in law school yet? I would love to have some on hand experience before I start school.

It probably depends on the organization. Just go for the networking. You never know what will happen if you just go talk to the people there. A lot of those organizations can use free help for the summer.

Want2Go2LawSchool

Postby Want2Go2LawSchool » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:54 pm

DELETE
Last edited by Want2Go2LawSchool on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”