Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vvoc

Re: Southwestern

Postby vvoc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:49 pm

did anyone else have to write 2 essays after being placed on the wait list? im assuming this is protocol, correct?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:57 pm

vvoc wrote:did anyone else have to write 2 essays after being placed on the wait list? im assuming this is protocol, correct?

From what others have said on here after receiving their WL notifications, they all had to write the essays as well. I assume they figure that if you're willing to write the essays, you're serious about attending.

When did you hear?

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 pm

I also want to switch from SCALE, but was told the day program was full already??
I wrote two essays for the original application. Applied end of January.
Still waiting on Pepperdine & Loyola.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:11 pm

filmbuff wrote:I also want to switch from SCALE, but was told the day program was full already??

Who told you and when that the day program was full?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 pm

filmbuff wrote:I also want to switch from SCALE, but was told the day program was full already??

They may have sensed a lack of interest in Southwestern. You want to switch into the day program as an insurance policy, so you can turn Southwestern down in the event you get into Loyola or Pepperdine?

The day program may be filled right now. They are probably accepting people gradually as people withdraw.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Yes, I had to write the essays. I went to the school to hand them in.
Next round of deposits are due in June. I'll be waiting.

I'm fairly certain my GPA is to blame for the waitlist. Other people with my LSAT score have been admitted to SW. UG is 3.6, but LSDSA is 3.3. Oh well...life goes on..

Edit. Yes, SW gave me the option of writing the essays. I didn't have to, but I did.
Last edited by SwollenMonkey on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:20 pm

3.3 is pretty damn good for SW. I think you should be concerned about your LSAT score.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Norwood wrote:3.3 is pretty damn good for SW. I think you should be concerned about your LSAT score.

I applied to other schools and was given substantial scholarship cash, so I'm pleased with it. If I get accepted to SW, I'll go. If not, it's alright. I'm not retaking the LSAT. I'm glad the LSAT is over and done with.

Thanks for the compliment.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Good to know. Just brought up your lsat score because you only provided your gpa and was blaming your waitlist on your gpa. So, I wanted to point out the that your gpa is doubtfully deserving of this blame. If your lsat is as acceptable as you say then you only have your application to blame or timing of your application. It's definitely not the because of your gpa.

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Danteshek: No issue of lack of interest being sensed, just a change in circumstances that made SCALE hard to 100% invest in right now. Also, no issue of insurance being sought in the absence of a reply from L & P. Naturally I want to allow my cycle to play out completely before making a decision -- that and I practically live on Pepperdine's doorstep!

Mr. Matlock: Don't want to give names out regarding who I spoke to! I don't believe that advice actually is true as people are still being accepted. They made it clear they really hope I will do SCALE, so I think they are hoping I might tough it out and not change when pressured!

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Norwood wrote:Good to know. Just brought up your lsat score because you only provided your gpa and was blaming your waitlist on your gpa. So, I wanted to point out the that your gpa is doubtfully deserving of this blame. If your lsat is as acceptable as you say then you only have your application to blame or timing of your application. It's definitely not the because of your gpa.

I applied fairly late, lol. January to be exact.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:06 pm

filmbuff wrote:Danteshek: No issue of lack of interest being sensed, just a change in circumstances that made SCALE hard to 100% invest in right now. Also, no issue of insurance being sought in the absence of a reply from L & P. Naturally I want to allow my cycle to play out completely before making a decision -- that and I practically live on Pepperdine's doorstep!

Mr. Matlock: Don't want to give names out regarding who I spoke to! I don't believe that advice actually is true as people are still being accepted. They made it clear they really hope I will do SCALE, so I think they are hoping I might tough it out and not change when pressured!

The full time day program may be full, if SW measures full to include the people on the waitlist waiting for the full time day program. I'm not sure how accurate the withdrawals on LSN are, but it shows quite a few. May is around the corner, let's be optimistic!

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:47 pm

I am on the verge of giving up and giving them a not so nice gester..... :roll:

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:17 pm

filmbuff wrote:Danteshek: No issue of lack of interest being sensed, just a change in circumstances that made SCALE hard to 100% invest in right now. Also, no issue of insurance being sought in the absence of a reply from L & P. Naturally I want to allow my cycle to play out completely before making a decision -- that and I practically live on Pepperdine's doorstep!

Yeah that's understandable. I still think you should think about PLEAS. I agree that SCALE may be extremely difficult if you have kids. Also, it may be easier to transfer into PLEAS than Day.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:19 pm

raperez129 wrote:I am on the verge of giving up and giving them a not so nice gester..... :roll:

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm

raperez129 wrote:I am on the verge of giving up and giving them a not so nice gester..... :roll:

With the deposit deadline past, at this point it really is a mind fuck. Unfortunately, they're not the only school in California playing this cruel game.

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Danteshek: Thanks! There's still apparently plenty of room in the part-time programs -- PLEAS and night and they did confirm it's possible to transfer in to the 3-yr. with approval from the Dean of Students and that regardless of its part-time stature, both programs can be completed in 3.5 yrs. I just can't wrap my mind around going from 2 to 4 yrs. if I can possibly avoid it!!

Mr. Matlock: The deadlines for deposits might be a not-so-solid indicator of things, as there are so many deadlines depending upon when you were accepted, so it's not as if there's some up-coming date when the die is cast so to speak. Hoping you get good news soon -- your persistence is deserving of reward! Seriously, why don't you call up and ask if you can just have your application reconsidered for the evening part-time program just to get in and then plan on moving after the first year -- do it while there are still spots. Also, you could, as Danteshek reported, possibly still get moved in to the 3 yr. before school starts. So many schools are slow getting back this year that there's likely to be more movement closer to the term's start date.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:57 pm

filmbuff wrote:Mr. Matlock: The deadlines for deposits might be a not-so-solid indicator of things, as there are so many deadlines depending upon when you were accepted, so it's not as if there's some up-coming date when the die is cast so to speak. Hoping you get good news soon -- your persistence is deserving of reward! Seriously, why don't you call up and ask if you can just have your application reconsidered for the evening part-time program just to get in and then plan on moving after the first year -- do it while there are still spots. Also, you could, as Danteshek reported, possibly still get moved in to the 3 yr. before school starts. So many schools are slow getting back this year that there's likely to be more movement closer to the term's start date.

I do appreciate the advice and info! As far as PT is concerned, I can't afford the possibility of being roped into it for even just a year. I have a family and would be in a bind financially without full C.O.L. for the year. Worse case scenario is I go to LaVerne and then hope to transfer after a year. If not, I end up in the bowels of the Inland Empire for the rest of my life. Could be worse! :D If Southwestern calls, I will almost certainly be attending. I just wish they were further along in the process.

Good luck to you!!

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
filmbuff wrote:Mr. Matlock: The deadlines for deposits might be a not-so-solid indicator of things, as there are so many deadlines depending upon when you were accepted, so it's not as if there's some up-coming date when the die is cast so to speak. Hoping you get good news soon -- your persistence is deserving of reward! Seriously, why don't you call up and ask if you can just have your application reconsidered for the evening part-time program just to get in and then plan on moving after the first year -- do it while there are still spots. Also, you could, as Danteshek reported, possibly still get moved in to the 3 yr. before school starts. So many schools are slow getting back this year that there's likely to be more movement closer to the term's start date.

I do appreciate the advice and info! As far as PT is concerned, I can't afford the possibility of being roped into it for even just a year. I have a family and would be in a bind financially without full C.O.L. for the year. Worse case scenario is I go to LaVerne and then hope to transfer after a year. If not, I end up in the bowels of the Inland Empire for the rest of my life. Could be worse! :D If Southwestern calls, I will almost certainly be attending. I just wish they were further along in the process.

Good luck to you!!

Matlock, your C.O.L. shouldn't change part time versus full time. Your financial aid will reflect part-time enrollment as far as tuition, but as far as I know the actual rent/food/transportation type numbers will remain constant. Books/parking vary based on the program, but again...if its the living expenses you are worried about, I don't think those are effected. Have you checked this out? http://www.swlaw.edu/studentservices/finaid/tuition/expenses

tqueen4

Postby tqueen4 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 am

I got accepted to SCALE and was thinking about switching to the 3 day program as I saw someone said they did but I haven't tried yet.

I was also accepted to OKC Law School and Chapman. Pepperdine is out of the question at this point but I would like to transfer after first year. Do people normally transfer if they are in good standing?

Looking at the statistics of the schools, OKC has been around a lot more than Southwestern or Chapman and the President of Pepperdine went to OKC.

Anyone have any feedback/advice? I have to have deposit in by Friday for OKC and am fine with putting it in and thinking about the others but SCALE wouldn't allow me to get my specific Patent classes that I am looking to take..

Thanks!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:00 pm

tqueen4 wrote:I got accepted to SCALE and was thinking about switching to the 3 day program as I saw someone said they did but I haven't tried yet.

I was also accepted to OKC Law School and Chapman. Pepperdine is out of the question at this point but I would like to transfer after first year. Do people normally transfer if they are in good standing?

Looking at the statistics of the schools, OKC has been around a lot more than Southwestern or Chapman and the President of Pepperdine went to OKC.

Anyone have any feedback/advice? I have to have deposit in by Friday for OKC and am fine with putting it in and thinking about the others but SCALE wouldn't allow me to get my specific Patent classes that I am looking to take..

Thanks!

I'm assuming OKC is Oklahoma City University?? That would be an eclectic set of choices you've got there! :lol:

As far as SCALE, if you do go that route, I doubt you'll be able to transfer. I'm not 100% on this, but the curriculum is set up in such a way that makes class conversion difficult. Essentially, after the 1st year you're a 2L and 1/2. And your elective choices are limited at best.

If I was in your shoes, and was dead set on transferring, a traditional program would offer you the best opportunity. Keep in mind, you should NEVER attend a school that you wouldn't be 100% happy graduating from. Law school grading and curves are incredibly arbitrary. Everyone goes in thinking they'll be in the top 10% of the class. 9 out of 10 people end up very disappointed.

From where you are sitting, here are your options, as I see them:

1. Attend OKC knowing that you may not be able to transfer, but would be 100% happy graduating from there and working in the area.
2. Try to convince SW into placing you into a more traditional program, or just stick with SCALE and be done in 2 years. However, you more than likely won't end up with many patent classes in the SCALE program as opposed to the traditional. Be happy working in Los Angeles.
3. Attend Chapman, try to transfer, but if no go, be happy working in Orange County.

Good luck.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:43 pm

OKC law was established in 1907 and accredited in 1960. Southwestern was founded in 1911 and was accredited in 1970. OKC hasn't been around a lot longer.

Where are you from? If you aren't from OK or nearby state it would be borderline idiotic to attend that school.

Consider the fact that most law professors want to live in metropolitan centers. It's much easier for Southwestern to attract top flight faculty than a similarly ranked rural school.

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Well, this is directed especially to Mr. Matlock (and, of course,to all those waiting!) that my previous predictions about the solid value of the info. that the 3 yr. was full and that the deposit deadlines don't mean a whole lot:

Out of the blue, today I received a letter congratulating me on my acceptance into the traditional 3 yr. program. What????!! That means I have now been accepted in to the 2 yr., 3 yr. and 4 yr.! Evidently a lot of people are not paying up and my "new" 2nd deposit deadline is June 1st and not May 1st. So ... obviously there is still room for plenty of acceptances (and for you to suffer a bit longer) after June 1st when the 2nd deposits don't respond. Remember, I was told that not only was the 3 yr. full but that due to the huge increase in apps. that there would likely not be much change and secondly, that I would not receive any sort of correspondence indicating any decision re. my transfer from SCALE to 3 yrs. So there you have it -- hope it boosts your spirits a tad!

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Does anyone know when we can expect movement on the waitlist? What are the chances of getting off the waitlist?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Congratulations. This goes to show that Southwestern really wants you. The general rule is that if they'll take you for SCALE, they'll bend over backwards for you if you want to change programs. Remember that SCALE folks typically are some of the most employable Southwestern students, because they tend to have solid work experience. The young people in SCALE tend to have great numbers, which offsets the lack of experience. People switch into Day every year after starting SCALE and taking a set of exams, and deciding SCALE isn't for them. If you are unsure about SCALE, doing the Day program is a nice compromise. Also, I will say that there is a lot to be said for a traditional law school experience. I've grown really close to a lot of people in my section this year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”