Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr. Matlock

Re: Southwestern

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:20 pm

rossrobert wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
Danteshek wrote:The admissions office will hand out acceptances up to the first day of classes. I was transferred into the Day program (from evening, and before that, SCALE) three days before school started. I know plenty of people who were accepted very late in the process.

How did your financial aid work since you were admitted three days before classes began?

Also, did you have to relocate to attend SW? Do you commute? Three days looks like a small window to accommodate someone that may have to relocate or cancel an apartment lease.

Yeah, I am from NY, so I would like to know at least by June what I am doing...Do you think they would be more lenient in giving me an answer as I would have to move across the country?

I'm 99.99999% sure that we'll all have a decision of one kind or the other by the end of May. If you're on the wait-list, you can potentially be on call up until orientation. It's up to you if you want to hang on to the wait-list opportunity that long. Most schools operate this way. I believe Danteshek was accepted into the SCALE program in March of last year, so it's not like things just pieced together in a few short weeks for him.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 pm

I was local. If you want to attend law school in California, you should want to live in California regardless of admission outcome. Hopefully you applied to Whittier/TJSL/Cal Western/GGU etc. One of those will almost certainly accept you. So, if you are committed to coming to CA you should consider just moving here and figuring the rest out later. No need to sign a long lease. You need the time to get acclimated anyway.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Danteshek wrote:I was local. If you want to attend law school in California, you should want to live in California regardless of admission outcome. Hopefully you applied to Whittier/TJSL/Cal Western/GGU etc. One of those will almost certainly accept you. So, if you are committed to coming to CA you should consider just moving here and figuring the rest out later. No need to sign a long lease. You need the time to get acclimated anyway.

How local? How miles are you from SW?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:57 pm

At the time I was admitted I lived about 2.5 miles north of campus. Now I live about 5 miles west of campus.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Danteshek wrote:At the time I was admitted I lived about 2.5 miles north of campus. Now I live about 5 miles west of campus.

Wow! This is an ideal situation. Hopefully, if admitted, I can find a similar living arrangement.

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Hope someone gets my slot. I told them "no thanks" since I'm not seeing the value in full-price tuition. Good luck!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:34 pm

All settled in for another week of absolutely jack-fucking-squat.

:|

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:All settled in for another week of absolutely jack-fucking-squat.

Same here!

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Meeee tooooooo!

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:All settled in for another week of absolutely jack-fucking-squat.

To pass the time, I watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19IvEyyZgUw

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:47 pm

I am also thinking that SCALE would now be out of the question since it starts in June. This fucking sucks.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I am also thinking that SCALE would now be out of the question since it starts in June. This fucking sucks.

I'd say we may see some action in the fourth week of April, since a big chunk of seat-deposits should now have been paid.

Hmmm...SCALE may be out of the equation in the second week of May.

Either way, I'm searching for studios near both schools that I'm interested in attending in case an offer opens up. I used to live 3 blocks north-west of SW between 4th and 5th on Catalina Street and would prefer to live close-by again.

As far as Chapman Law is concerned, I'm looking for studios near it as well. I don't want to commute to law school at all, and if I do, I'd like a very short drive or a relatively short walk.

Also, LSN shows a lot of withdrawals, and I'm sure some people withdrew and did not notify admissions. It's all good until it's all bad!

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:54 am

This is it, it's either Chapman or Southwestern for me. I was advised by my Aunt who works in a law firm in Los Angeles that all else being equal, she'd pick Southwestern over Chapman....even though Chapman is ranked higher. She cited the schools reputation among employers in Los Angeles and their enormous alumni as her reasoning. She basically told me that Loyola and Southwestern are viewed as equivalents, and even though it's ranked as a T3, it's viewed more as a T2.....at least by where she works and who she knows.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

Yep, if you want LA then Southwestern is certainly a great choice over Chapman and probably a no brainer considering its location, networking, and equal quality of education.

I could see how some firms could view Loyola and Southwestern grads as equivalents, this most likely depends on the firm size and the nature of the practice. Moving to larger or highly respected firms, they would probably see equivalents in grads in the sense that a top 5% SW student is equal to a top 10% at Loyola (just throwing numbers out there). So firms would be willing to reach deeper into Loyola whereas they would only take the top at SW.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:21 pm

--ImageRemoved--

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Relax! Enjoy!
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by SwollenMonkey on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:

Relax! Enjoy!

:D Thanks for that!! But just so they don't ban you, take it down....... (Hate saying that)

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

Relax! Enjoy!

:D Thanks for that!! But just so they don't ban you, take it down....... (Hate saying that)

Done!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:55 pm

--ImageRemoved--

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:40 pm

LSN shows lots of withdrawals! Good sign!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Lecture today on Nuremburg Trials by HLS scholar Noah Feldman

rossrobert

Postby rossrobert » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:55 pm

i'd like to see more withdrawals...also, no decision updates since 4/10. i tried to stop checking my status, but these last few days I can't seem to stop...

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:Lecture today on Nuremburg Trials by HLS scholar Noah Feldman

Fuck the lecture. Go down to admissions and tell them to start doling out some decisions ASAP!!!! Don't take NO for an answer.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

Fuck the lecture. Go down to admissions and tell them to start doling out some decisions ASAP!!!! Don't take NO for an answer.

if your numbers aren't above the medians, you should be grateful that they are considering you at all...

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

LMAO!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”