Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SwollenMonkey

Re: Southwestern

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
chango wrote:Loyola up to rank 56. Chapman, USF and McG crack the T100. Southwestern still Tier 3.

wow.

Loyola La appears to be 71.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69263

Swollen, you'll be lucky to break into a CBA accredited school if you don't stop looking at last years threads!

Thank you for pointing out my error, Mr. Matlock.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:40 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Norwood wrote:Wow surprised to see Chapman ranked...c'mon SW...

I'm waiting on Chapman. If a spot opens up, it will be tough to decide between SW and Chapman since I love SW's location.

SW will probably never crack the T100 due to UCLA/USC/Loyola/Pepperdine being in its immediate vicinity. Chapman will take a hit and a half when UC Irvine is allowed to play.

However, I'm of the mind that T-40 --->T120 are damned near indistinguishable. Go to where you feel most comfortable.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:40 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
chango wrote:Loyola up to rank 56. Chapman, USF and McG crack the T100. Southwestern still Tier 3.

wow.

Loyola La appears to be 71.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69263

Swollen, you'll be lucky to break into a CBA accredited school if you don't stop looking at last years threads!

Thank you for pointing out my error, Mr. Matlock.

:lol:
All in good fun my friend! :mrgreen:

Soul Minded

Postby Soul Minded » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 pm

There is virtually no difference in the statistics in the rankings Southwestern is about 1-2 LSAT points lower overall and nearly identical GPA wise with about the same acceptance rate and jobs rates. If one LSAT point is the clincher to the top 100 I would say Southwestern could definitely crack it.

I believe it all boils down to the money, you want to go to an ABA accredited school in the location where you want to practice and take the largest scholarship offer available. If you take out loans for the price of three years tuition and you are paying something like $1000 a month for 20 years ( based on 65,000/yr plus interest) not a desirable situation. I would not take that on even if I went to UCLA.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Received WL letter yesterday and will WD today, best of luck to those waiting.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:47 pm

GATORTIM wrote:Received WL letter yesterday and will WD today, best of luck to those waiting.

Have fun at Stetson. I'm sure you know this, but Stetson hosts perhaps the more biggest moot court competition in the world (international environmental law). Should be fun watching the teams from overseas. I think a team from Ireland won last year.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:32 pm

For the love of (insert deity) DO SOMETHING SOUTHWESTERN!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x

You're killing me.... slowly killing me. :evil:

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:For the love of (insert deity) DO SOMETHING SOUTHWESTERN!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x

You're killing me.... slowly killing me. :evil:

Amen Brotha!

rossrobert

Postby rossrobert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:41 pm

when do you think we will hear?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:48 pm

rossrobert wrote:when do you think we will hear?

Were deposits due today? I don't know, but my guess is they're stringing us out waiting to see how many confirmed the get. Just fucking sucks at this late point in time.

rossrobert

Postby rossrobert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
rossrobert wrote:when do you think we will hear?

Were deposits due today? I don't know, but my guess is they're stringing us out waiting to see how many confirmed the get. Just fucking sucks at this late point in time.

i had asked this about a week or two ago to people who were accepted and had just been accepted. I think for those who were accepted not so recent the deadline was today, but for those who were accepted more recently are due april 20th, so i believe.

haylie

Postby haylie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:27 pm

what do u guys think about Southwestern VS Willamette now that Willamette is a T3??

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:43 pm

haylie wrote:what do u guys think about Southwestern VS Willamette now that Willamette is a T3??

A completely regional question. Go to the city where you'll be most comfortable living.

That said, I've heard that Williamette cuts/drops students up till 3L. Pretty harsh IMHO.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Does anyone know the prospects of being selected from the WL?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:13 am

I had a conversation with a classmate at lunch today. After first semester we were told what decile rank we were in the class. His GPA is less than 0.01 higher than mine, and he was in the 10 percent. I was in top 20 percent... So I guess this is good news, but the pressure is on... Exams the first week of May. This is critical because only top 10 make law review. Write-on is 99 percent formality...

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:19 am

Well, at least schools normally grant more admissions than they actually need. I'm sure there will be movement on the waitlist pretty soon. I'd say another two weeks.

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. =-) Good luck to all.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:42 am

Danteshek wrote:I had a conversation with a classmate at lunch today. After first semester we were told what decile rank we were in the class. His GPA is less than 0.01 higher than mine, and he was in the 10 percent. I was in top 20 percent... So I guess this is good news, but the pressure is on... Exams the first week of May. This is critical because only top 10 make law review. Write-on is 99 percent formality...

Wow, that's some major competition. Good luck on your finals!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:37 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Well, at least schools normally grant more admissions than they actually need. I'm sure there will be movement on the waitlist pretty soon. I'd say another two weeks.

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. =-) Good luck to all.

:| I'm hoping that they finish with the applications that haven't even been reviewed first.

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm trying really hard to be patient, based on the idea that "good things come to those who wait." That being said, does anyone else find that the anxiety and incessant status checker monitoring is cutting into time that should be spent on, ohhhh I don't know, being normal? I'm finishing up my M.S., and have a paper and 2 presentations until I am done. Normally I would have all of this done by now (due the 27th), but I am completely distracted! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: C'mon Southwestern, help me out!

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:07 pm

jdhopeful2010 wrote:I'm trying really hard to be patient, based on the idea that "good things come to those who wait." That being said, does anyone else find that the anxiety and incessant status checker monitoring is cutting into time that should be spent on, ohhhh I don't know, being normal? I'm finishing up my M.S., and have a paper and 2 presentations until I am done. Normally I would have all of this done by now (due the 27th), but I am completely distracted! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: C'mon Southwestern, help me out!

I was like this at the beginning, but then I forced myself to let it go, and have moved on just fine. I'm reading various things, living life, working out, and planning for whatever side of the coin I get. I do admit, it is stressful, but when you think about it, it is not a situation that cannot be controlled. Then again, it takes a lot to excite me. =-\.

rossrobert

Postby rossrobert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Do you think at this point they will accept/reject or still hand out waitlist offers for those of us that have not heard yet?

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:49 pm

rossrobert wrote:Do you think at this point they will accept/reject or still hand out waitlist offers for those of us that have not heard yet?

There are only a few points to reference, but based on LSN it looks like they were accepting/waitlisting through May.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm

The admissions office will hand out acceptances up to the first day of classes. I was transferred into the Day program (from evening, and before that, SCALE) three days before school started. I know plenty of people who were accepted very late in the process.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Danteshek wrote:The admissions office will hand out acceptances up to the first day of classes. I was transferred into the Day program (from evening, and before that, SCALE) three days before school started. I know plenty of people who were accepted very late in the process.

How did your financial aid work since you were admitted three days before classes began?

Also, did you have to relocate to attend SW? Do you commute? Three days looks like a small window to accommodate someone that may have to relocate or cancel an apartment lease.

rossrobert

Postby rossrobert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Danteshek wrote:The admissions office will hand out acceptances up to the first day of classes. I was transferred into the Day program (from evening, and before that, SCALE) three days before school started. I know plenty of people who were accepted very late in the process.

How did your financial aid work since you were admitted three days before classes began?

Also, did you have to relocate to attend SW? Do you commute? Three days looks like a small window to accommodate someone that may have to relocate or cancel an apartment lease.

Yeah, I am from NY, so I would like to know at least by June what I am doing...Do you think they would be more lenient in giving me an answer as I would have to move across the country?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”