Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GATORTIM

Re: Southwestern

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:01 pm

offer to sit on waitlist sent today....will likely be seding WD letter this weekend.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:34 pm

GATORTIM wrote:offer to sit on waitlist sent today....will likely be seding WD letter this weekend.

At this point, I'd take an admissions person calling me and farting into the phone. At least I'd know they were thinking of me. :|

What are your top choices GATORTIM?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:offer to sit on waitlist sent today....will likely be seding WD letter this weekend.

At this point, I'd take an admissions person calling me and farting into the phone. At least I'd know they were thinking of me. :|

What are your top choices GATORTIM?

I have been accepted to Stetson (I'm from Florida) and have already sent seat deposit. I was waiting on Southwestern in case my wife's job transfer didn't work out (we live in Orange County ca)

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 pm

[/quote]
[/quote]

Amen to that. GATORTIM...when did you go complete/in review??

Soul Minded

Postby Soul Minded » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Danteshek wrote:Case studies of successful alumni:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/33541840/Dean-Garth

This is an incredibly interesting article, if you are thinking about going to Southwestern you should absolutely read it.

Hey Danteshek, my seat deposits are already in and taken care of for next year, would you mind meeting me sometime before then to help me understand what I need to do to be successful at Southwestern next year? Obviously you have made the most of your experience.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:06 am

Sure. I leave for DC on May 22 and don't get back until mid August. Write on competition ends at 5 PM on May 19. Most important thing is to make sure your living situation is ideal. Maybe get rid of your TV and Internet access. iPhone should be sufficient. Also consider busing it to school if you live on Wilshire (preferably in La Brea area). Consider selling your car.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:10 am

I was complete the 2nd or 3rd week of January

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Also, having a routine helps. Law school is a good time to get serious about your health and fitness. I recommend investing $200/month to join a CrossFit gym like the one at 3rd and La Brea. Work out 4-6 times a week. Change your diet to either Paleo or Zone. This may seem extreme to some, but it's worked wonders for me...

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Danteshek wrote:Also, having a routine helps. Law school is a good time to get serious about your health and fitness. I recommend investing $200/month to join a CrossFit gym like the one at 3rd and La Brea. Work out 4-6 times a week. Change your diet to either Paleo or Zone. This may seem extreme to some, but it's worked wonders for me...

That seems like a lot for a membership. I only pay $25/month at L.A. Fitness. That's including classes, swimming pool, etc.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:14 pm

If that works for you, great. Just be honest with yourself about the results you are seeing. Globo gyms typically don't have personel qualified to teach you about Olympic Weightlifting, Gymnastics, kettlebells, power lifting, stretching, calisthenics, rowing etc... Places like LA Fitness cater to the bodybuilding crowd, not the military/firefighter/police crowd. They emphasize use of machines rather than usage of your body as a machine. It's just a whole different ballgame.

When I started I could not overhead squat a 45 pound bar. Now, I can OHS about 190 lbs, squat clean 250 lbs, back squat 385, front squat 305, deadlift 450, snatch 165, clean and jerk 235. 2k row 7:08. I've also improved on pullups, speed, handstands.... I've put on about 25 pounds of muscle in the last year, and become a lot leaner in the process. Metabolic conditioning has also improved dramatically.

chango

Postby chango » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Danteshek wrote:If that works for you, great. Just be honest with yourself about the results you are seeing. Globo gyms typically don't have personel qualified to teach you about Olympic Weightlifting, Gymnastics, kettlebells, power lifting, stretching, calisthenics, rowing etc... Places like LA Fitness cater to the bodybuilding crowd, not the military/firefighter/police crowd. They emphasize use of machines rather than usage of your body as a machine. It's just a whole different ballgame.

When I started I could not overhead squat a 45 pound bar. Now, I can OHS about 190 lbs, squat clean 250 lbs, back squat 385, front squat 305, deadlift 450, snatch 165, clean and jerk 235. 2k row 7:08. I've also improved on pullups, speed, handstands.... I've put on about 25 pounds of muscle in the last year, and become a lot leaner in the process. Metabolic conditioning has also improved dramatically.

--ImageRemoved--

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:58 am

Find me fitness kitteh. I don't like nerd kitteh.

How do you post pictures? I never figured that one out.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:02 am

Danteshek wrote:If that works for you, great. Just be honest with yourself about the results you are seeing. Globo gyms typically don't have personel qualified to teach you about Olympic Weightlifting, Gymnastics, kettlebells, power lifting, stretching, calisthenics, rowing etc... Places like LA Fitness cater to the bodybuilding crowd, not the military/firefighter/police crowd. They emphasize use of machines rather than usage of your body as a machine. It's just a whole different ballgame.

Well, if $200/month includes personal training, then you're absolutely right about your assessment. L.A. Fitness/Bally's/24hr's do charge for training ontop of the membership.

chango

Postby chango » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:51 am

Danteshek wrote:Find me fitness kitteh. I don't like nerd kitteh.

How do you post pictures? I never figured that one out.

When replying, take a look at the tabs underneath the subject field. There's a tab labeled "Img." Highlight the URL of an image, and then click "img" which will sandwich it in the necessary html tags.

and voila!

--ImageRemoved--

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:04 am

Danteshek, what does your typical day look like? (workout time included). I'm finishing my masters, interning, and a GA for the athletic department at my school but I always find time to workout. A friend of mine in law school said that she never has time to workout, so I'm curious as to whether you're working out at 2am, barely sleeping, or if this is just a poor case of time management on her part.

From what I've heard about scheduling for full-time students, I was kind of thinking along the lines of my schedule in undergrad, which I've posted.

6:30am: weights
home, shower, breakfast
9-2:05: class
lunch
3-5:30: practice
dinner
7-10: study hall
10-12: any additional homework, prep for classes the next day, bed

EDIT: I know classes will run longer than 2pm, but I also wont have practice haha....just a rough estimate

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Glad I used to be a personal trainer and don't have to pay dollars to get in shape.
However, all these comments on personal fitness have opened up a potential revenue stream for me while in law school: charge law students to get in shape.

$$ Ka-ching! $$

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:21 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Glad I used to be a personal trainer and don't have to pay dollars to get in shape.
However, all these comments on personal fitness have opened up a potential revenue stream for me while in law school: charge law students to get in shape.

$$ Ka-ching! $$

What exactly do you mean when you say "in shape?"

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Danteshek wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:Glad I used to be a personal trainer and don't have to pay dollars to get in shape.

$$ Ka-ching! $$

What exactly do you mean when you say "in shape?"

"In shape" meaning being able to run 45 minutes at a fairly decent pace without having to slow down to catch your breath. Also, "in shape" means having strong core strength, low fat levels, and of course, having some visible muscle.

Most people join gyms to get in shape. Gyms are a waste of time unless you can avoid their peak hours.

But if I do decide to train others, obviously I'll have to get re-certified, but I may focus on a particular demographic that will have money and an interest in their health, lol.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah... that's not what I mean by "in shape." I don't care if I have 25% or 5% bodyfat. I want to deadlift 550 lbs, run a 5:15 mile, walk 100 ft on my hands, do free standing handstand pushups.... still have lots of work to do obviously... aesthetics are not important at all.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Danteshek wrote:Yeah... that's not what I mean by "in shape." I don't care if I have 25% or 5% bodyfat. I want to deadlift 550 lbs, run a 5:15 mile, walk 100 ft on my hands, do free standing handstand pushups.... still have lots of work to do obviously... aesthetics are not important at all.

The aesthetics come with the work. Let's just say this: If you can run a 5:15 mile, deadlift 550lbs, do 20 over-hand pull-ups, do 100 push-ups, and walk 100 ft on your hands, chances are that you will look like an athlete. Regarding fat levels, it is best to stay as lean as possible so that you are not putting any unnecessary stress on the knees, and other parts of the body.

Keep up the good work, and may you achieve your goals.

chango

Postby chango » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:11 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:12 pm

The body weight stuff isn't getting any easier. The more I work out, the more weight I put on... I'm 6'1, 215lbs... If I try to lose weight I'll get weaker and will have the same issues with body control... The only way I'll master my body weight (for rings, handstands, monkey bars) is if I put on another 15lbs around the shoulders, which will then make running that much more challenging....

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:25 am

Danteshek wrote:The body weight stuff isn't getting any easier. The more I work out, the more weight I put on... I'm 6'1, 215lbs... If I try to lose weight I'll get weaker and will have the same issues with body control... The only way I'll master my body weight (for rings, handstands, monkey bars) is if I put on another 15lbs around the shoulders, which will then make running that much more challenging....

Rings, handstands, and monkey bars all require arm and shoulder strength. Try focusing on deltoids and arms a bit more. If you do not perform cardio (running, biking, stair master, etc.), then any type of cardio will be harder. The heart is a muscle, and it gets exercise by cardiovascular activity. So, if you put on muscle or lift weights or perform calisthenics, it is best to do some form of aerobic exercise.

To dominate rings, you should focus on arms, lats, shoulders, and abs.
For handstands: triceps, dips, shoulders, and upper pecs.
For monkey bars: you wants to focus on arms, lats, shoulders, and abs.

Try to do cardio 3-5 times a week for 35-45 minutes. I jog 6 days a week and sometimes twice a day for 35 to 45 minutes.

If you are not ripped with washboard abs or at least a "4 pack"for a stomach, then it is safe to assume that you may be putting on some fat and muscle.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 am

First of all, if I did that much running, my strength would go way down. Besides, conditioning is not the issue. CrossFit incorporates high intensity met-con into the WODs. The conditioning from the WODs results in better conditioning than what endurance athletes have without sacrificing power. The whole point of CF is that if you go balls to the wall doing 5-25 minute highly varied workouts, you get much better results than conventional "cardio plus weights" low intensity, "workouts" that take twice as long. What you are suggesting (which is consistent with what 99 percent of the ignorant gym going masses believe to be gospel) basically amounts to a monumental waste of time. IMO, people who work on specific muscle groups like a body builders do, and then hop on a treadmill (or go "jogging" to get their conditioning are not and never will be athletes.
Last edited by Danteshek on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jhare

Postby jhare » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 am

lol at the workout talk in the Southwestern forum. It's awesome.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”