Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
roguey

Re: Southwestern

Postby roguey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:36 am

I still have yet to hear from Southwestern. I applied on 1/22, complete on 2/2, and I have been in review since. I sent in an addendum about my LSAT score with my application. Then I accidentally sent them the addendum a second time when I was trying to determine whether I had included it in the applications for schools that needed it. Then on 2/10 I received an email asking for an explanation for the difference in scores, so I sent it a third time. I emailed them three weeks later to verify they received it, but no response. I waited another two weeks and attempted to call. Left a voicemail and have not been called back. I just want to make sure they got it :( My decision is made now, but I thought it would be pretty awesome to move back to Cali. Oh well... at least I applied on a fee waiver or I would really be upset.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 pm

rossrobert wrote:who else still has a status of " file complete and in review''?

In review since 2/26

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:09 pm

In review since 2/19. E-mails inquiries to SW admissions go unanswered.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Norwood wrote:
rossrobert wrote:who else still has a status of " file complete and in review''?

In review since 2/26

Ditto

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:06 pm

hand is raised....

complete and in review since 3/15. phone call about my file being in review the 18th...dying of anxiety

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:27 pm

jdhopeful2010 wrote:
Hang in there buddy! I'm with you on this one. I went into review 3/15, then got a call on 3/18 asking me about the feasibility of moving from the east coast to LA after graduation. I have been on pins and needles since then HOPING that I get in. I've gotten into a couple of other schools in SoCal, but SW is definitely my top choice. I've been fighting the urge to email evey day! Good luck!!!

What other schools have you been accepted by? I might go visit some of the law schools in the SoCal area next month.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm

roguey wrote:I still have yet to hear from Southwestern. I applied on 1/22, complete on 2/2, and I have been in review since. I sent in an addendum about my LSAT score with my application. Then I accidentally sent them the addendum a second time when I was trying to determine whether I had included it in the applications for schools that needed it. Then on 2/10 I received an email asking for an explanation for the difference in scores, so I sent it a third time. I emailed them three weeks later to verify they received it, but no response. I waited another two weeks and attempted to call. Left a voicemail and have not been called back. I just want to make sure they got it :( My decision is made now, but I thought it would be pretty awesome to move back to Cali. Oh well... at least I applied on a fee waiver or I would really be upset.

So, you'd rather go to SW over Loyola? Would it be for financial reasons?

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:33 pm

SoCalStudent wrote:
jdhopeful2010 wrote:
Hang in there buddy! I'm with you on this one. I went into review 3/15, then got a call on 3/18 asking me about the feasibility of moving from the east coast to LA after graduation. I have been on pins and needles since then HOPING that I get in. I've gotten into a couple of other schools in SoCal, but SW is definitely my top choice. I've been fighting the urge to email evey day! Good luck!!!

What other schools have you been accepted by? I might go visit some of the law schools in the SoCal area next month.

Western State and La Verne...both with money. I have applied to a few more...But I really want to go to Southwestern. REALLY want to go to Southwestern. Where are you visiting?

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 pm

jdhopeful2010 wrote:
SoCalStudent wrote:
jdhopeful2010 wrote:

Western State and La Verne...both with money. I have applied to a few more...But I really want to go to Southwestern. REALLY want to go to Southwestern. Where are you visiting?

I'm going to visit SW, Loyola, and Pepperdine. I think UCLA is out of the question because my UG GPA is 2.97 from a number of years ago. I still have to take the LSAT's in October, but I want to check out the programs at different schools in the area and figure out where I should ED. Since SW is friendly with grad students, as two guys from my grad program are currently in SW, I would consider going there if I get money. If I get a 170+, then I may look at schools outside of the state.

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 pm

SoCalStudent wrote:
jdhopeful2010 wrote:
SoCalStudent wrote:
jdhopeful2010 wrote:

I'm going to visit SW, Loyola, and Pepperdine. I think UCLA is out of the question because my UG GPA is 2.97 from a number of years ago. I still have to take the LSAT's in October, but I want to check out the programs at different schools in the area and figure out where I should ED. Since SW is friendly with grad students, as two guys from my grad program are currently in SW, I would consider going there if I get money. If I get a 170+, then I may look at schools outside of the state.

I applied to USC, UCLA, and Peppedine too...but figure I wont get into those. I've been to all of them for other reasons, and LOVE the LA area. Malibu seemed a little more set apart from the city life, but is GORGEOUS nonetheless!!! I woud love to know what SW is like, soooo jealous you get to visit next month

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:57 pm

jdhopeful2010 wrote:I applied to USC, UCLA, and Peppedine too...but figure I wont get into those. I've been to all of them for other reasons, and LOVE the LA area. Malibu seemed a little more set apart from the city life, but is GORGEOUS nonetheless!!! I woud love to know what SW is like, soooo jealous you get to visit next month

Yea, I had the stigma that ONLY UCLA and USC are the schools worth going to for law in SoCal. But, I've been talking to other students and professors, and they have all had nothing but good things to say about SW. I am more aware of other schools now than I was a month ago, due to joining this forum and doing some research. I can also see SW cracking the t100 sooner than later!

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:11 pm

SoCalStudent wrote:
jdhopeful2010 wrote:I applied to USC, UCLA, and Peppedine too...but figure I wont get into those. I've been to all of them for other reasons, and LOVE the LA area. Malibu seemed a little more set apart from the city life, but is GORGEOUS nonetheless!!! I woud love to know what SW is like, soooo jealous you get to visit next month

Yea, I had the stigma that ONLY UCLA and USC are the schools worth going to for law in SoCal. But, I've been talking to other students and professors, and they have all had nothing but good things to say about SW. I am more aware of other schools now than I was a month ago, due to joining this forum and doing some research. I can also see SW cracking the t100 sooner than later!

I've also heard great things about the school. I have some friends in SoCal whose parents are attorneys and they all have great things to say about Southwestern. Here's to SW moving into the rankings!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm

How will Southwestern improve as a law school and attract better students?

1. Addition of student housing in ~3 years.
2. Southwestern's location is a huge advantage.
3. Southwestern is implementing cutting edge curriculum reform.
4. Southwestern has been very aggressive in faculty hiring.

rossrobert

Postby rossrobert » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm

do you think there is any chance you can practice in new york after attending southwestern?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:54 pm

rossrobert wrote:do you think there is any chance you can practice in new york after attending southwestern?

If you want to practice in New York, you should go to school in New York.

SoCalKevin

Postby SoCalKevin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Any tips for getting off the wait list???

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:54 pm

LOIC
visit the school
have an "interview" with the dean

Make sure they know u want to go there AND that you will go if they took you off the waitlist. That's the best way

SoCalKevin

Postby SoCalKevin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:19 pm

What's an LOIC?

And is there a trick to getting an interview with the dean? Do you just contact admissions to set it up?

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 am

Sorry was in a hurry when I posted that... I meant Letter of Continuing Intent (LOCI). Basically it is a brief letter (usually 1 page) showing that you are still interested in attending the law school. This is also a great opportunity to explain why you want to attend. Most importantly, it should give you an opportunity to separate yourself from some other waitlistees.

As for an interview, you could try calling and setting it up. What has worked for me was just to schedule a visit/tour and meet with the admissions counselor, at the conclusion of our meeting I would politely ask if I may introduce myself to the Dean and go from there. However, this is usually hit or miss since you never know if the Dean will be busy or not. I've only had one case where the Dean was away for a conference in socal, but the counselor was very nice and told the Dean to contact me when he returned which worked out in the end. Remember, this isn't a true interview - more like a question/answer period - but treat I treat it as one.

Put yourself out there and do whatever you can do (in a reasonable manner of course). Good luck.

chango

Postby chango » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:22 am

Imagine giving up a three quarters ride to Southwestern in order to go for the supposed prestige of Loyola at sticker price, only to have Southwestern cracking the top 100 and Loyola falling to 85th a year or two after admittance.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:29 am

chango wrote:Imagine giving up a three quarters ride to Southwestern in order to go for the supposed prestige of Loyola at sticker price, only to have Southwestern cracking the top 100 and Loyola falling to 85th a year or two after admittance.

Ouch. So, you've picked SW over Loyola, Chango? Can't really blame you since Loyola is a t100, but having $40K or so extra in debt is tough to overlook. Plus, there's that x-factor in SW climbing the rankings within a couple years.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:18 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:Technically T3 starts, according to US News, at schools ranked 101 and below. They don't give specific ranking numbers to these schools other than the T3, T4 monikers. The numbered rank is kept hidden for some unknown reason, but was leaked in 2008:

Second Tier

99. Hofstra

100. (Tie) Mercer, Stetson, Syracuse, U. Buffalo, U.Louisville

Third Tier

105. (Tie) Creighton, U. Arkansas (Fayetteville), U. Maine

108. (Tie) Michigan State University, Quinnipiac U., U. Mississippi, U. Toledo

112. (Tie) Albany, U. Akron, U. Montana, U. San Francisco, U. St. Thomas (MN), Vermont

118. (Tie) Drake, Gonzaga, Howard, New York Law School, U. Idaho, U. Missouri-Kansas City, W. Virginia

125. (Tie) Cleveland State, Loyola - New Orleans, Texas Tech., U. Baltimore, U. Wyoming, Wayne State U.

131. (Tie) Chapman, Franklin Pierce, Hamline, Pace, U. Arkansas-Little Rock, Washburn

137. (Tie) Ohio Northern, Samford (Cumberland), Suffolk, U. South Dakota, Willamette

Fourth Tier

142. U. North Dakota

143. (Tie) Campbell, So. Illinois, Southwestern, U. Memphis, U. Tulsa, Valparaiso

149. Northern Illinois

150. (Tie) CUNY, William Mitchell

152. U. Dayton

153. (Tie) Duquesne, Florida International, John Marshall

156. (Tie) California Western, Northern Kentucky

Hate to say it, but if you're looking for SW to be ranked it has a lot of ground to make up. Although these rankings are pretty old, 2 years now, we can see how "tough" it is to get to the top 100. We'll typically see that schools 90-115 swap places year to year but a climb from 143rd to 100th? Unlikely. That said, USnews rankings don't mean much once you get this deep (except for pride i guess). Although SW carries a T3/T4 ranking I have been absolutely impressed with the level of students the school attracts and the reputation it holds in California's most populated city. So the only thing that should matter is that SW will remain strong in socal - ranked 100 or T4.

chango

Postby chango » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:28 am

So, you've picked SW over Loyola, Chango?

No, I haven't made a decision yet. I'm still on the fence. If SW were to up its scholarship offer, I'm pretty sure it would make the difference.

Although I was kidding about wrt ranking....

FTR, here's what I believe:

A single year rise or fall in the rankings doesn't signify a whole hell of a lot but upward or downward movement over several years probably does.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm

FYI, I spoke w/ a professor at Table Days this week who told me merit scholarships are generally given to 1Ls who finish in the top 30 percent. The better you do the more you get. I'm not sure how it works for people already on scholarship, but that is something to consider. Your at graduation debt level is not set in stone on your first day of classes.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Case studies of successful alumni:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/33541840/Dean-Garth

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”