Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chango

Re: Southwestern

Postby chango » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 pm

SoCalKevin wrote:
Assuming I can't negotiate for more, do you think I should choose Southwestern with $60K total debt or Loyola with $124K total debt?

$20k? Meh. Loyola FTW!

do you think Southwestern would be the better choice under any circumstances? 30K year or full ride, for example?

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 pm

erniesto wrote:They're both third tiers. Loyola is just a pretender. Southwestern is in a better location and cheaper. This choice is DUH.

Loyola is ranked in the Top 100.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Danteshek wrote:This is why you should pick Southwestern and not Loyola:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/03/loyola-l ... es-grades/

Ouch, why are they doing that? Not a good thing for Loyola grads. I wonder if their ranking will slip.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 pm

vvoc wrote:OK still haven't heard back from SW (my current top choice) and McGeorge wants my deposit by today. I requested an extension and they said they can only go as far as April 15. McGeorge is the only other school that I am currently acceppted and interested in and don't want to lose my seat but also still want to holdout for SW...anything I can do to speed up the decision process with sw??

btw 3.16/158

Send an email to Lisa Gear and tell her your situation. I'm pretty sure you'll be accepted.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:27 pm

FYI my good friend at Southwestern was selected for the US Army JAG 1L internship. Only 25 1Ls are selected nationwide. He will probably work for the Army's appellate division at the Pentagon this summer.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 am

Danteshek wrote:FYI my good friend at Southwestern was selected for the US Army JAG 1L internship. Only 25 1Ls are selected nationwide. He will probably work for the Army's appellate division at the Pentagon this summer.

did he already have connections to the armed forces?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:37 am

uwb09 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:FYI my good friend at Southwestern was selected for the US Army JAG 1L internship. Only 25 1Ls are selected nationwide. He will probably work for the Army's appellate division at the Pentagon this summer.

No.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:36 am

Danteshek wrote:
uwb09 wrote:

No.

Hey Dante, how difficult is it to transfer to another school after 1L? Have you thought about it, or are you cool with staying at SW?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:57 am

I would be extremely proud to have a SW degree hanging on my wall. I have been impressed by the faculty, my classmates, and the way the school goes about fulfilling its mission of teaching and public service.

SW didn't prevent me from getting arguably the most competitive federal government internship (SEC), and it didn't prevent me from getting an externship with a federal judge.

If I graduate, and someone doesn't hire me because of my school, that is a gift. I would not want to work for that person.

Nevertheless, I have thought about transferring. More likely I will visit Catholic in DC for a semester to study securities law/financial regulation. I am limited in the places I can transfer to because I have committed to work for a judge in the Fall. I will probably throw in applications to USC and UCLA only, just to see if they would take me. I'm pretty sure I will not leave SW. Making law review would seal the deal.

To answer your question, you probably need to be in the top 10-15 to make a meaningful transfer. The same is true at pretty much all schools.
Last edited by Danteshek on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 am

For Danteshek (the resident expert!) also: Could you possibly give me an idea of the number of days you can realistically condense your 1L classes into? I am debating my acceptance b/c of my long commute and recent change in circumstances that mean I am unable to move closer to campus so could probably only manage it if was not a M-F situation (I have young kids). Thank you in advance for your time.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:17 am

filmbuff wrote:For Danteshek (the resident expert!) also: Could you possibly give me an idea of the number of days you can realistically condense your 1L classes into? I am debating my acceptance b/c of my long commute and recent change in circumstances that mean I am unable to move closer to campus so could probably only manage it if was not a M-F situation (I have young kids). Thank you in advance for your time.

You are an excellent candidate for the PLEAS program at SW (part time Day). Your first semester you would take Contracts I (T,F) and Criminal Law (T,Th). Then you have legal writing, which is offered at different times (meets twice a week). It is definitely possible for you only to be at school four days a week. Three days might be possible, but you would have to work with the administration so they place you in a writing class that doesn't require you to come in on either Monday or Wednesday (I'm not sure a class exists).

I'm fairly certain a full time schedule is always M-F. But for someone with young kids, I recommend you do PLEAS, especially if you don't have an exceptional amount of help.

e10

Postby e10 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am

I applied to both PT programs.

I have a 3.52 GPA from Syracuse, however my LSAT sucks ( between a 145-149).

I have been in communication with the admissions office letting them know that SW is my first choice. Also, I have made them aware that I am Learning Disabeled and I believe that is why I performed so poorly on the LSAT as I did on the SAT. I submitted a copy of my IEP to show that I received extended time on exams when I was younger, which I did not receive on the LSAT.

Do you think I have any shot at all?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Not likely. Sorry. A 152 might be sufficient though.

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:35 pm

Thank you so much for the reply, Danteshek. I am aware of the PLEAS program, but don't fancy 4 years of part-time work! I suppose I should call their admissions people and get a clear response as to what I could cram into my days before paying out my seat deposit. Thanks again oh, and by the way, I admire your steadfast opinion about your school of choice. FYI, a very good friend of mine (a very, very well known trial lawyer) thinks SW "is a very good school" and told me, "in over 30 years, nobody has ever asked me where I went to school -- it all comes down to practical lawyering once you pass the bar." (He wants me to intern with him during the 1L break.)

chango

Postby chango » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Danteshek wrote:I would be extremely proud to have a SW degree hanging on my wall. I have been impressed by the faculty, my classmates, and the way the school goes about fulfilling its mission of teaching and public service.

SW didn't prevent me from getting arguably the most competitive federal government internship (SEC), and it didn't prevent me from getting an externship with a federal judge.

If I graduate, and someone doesn't hire me because of my school, that is a gift. I would not want to work for that person.

Nevertheless, I have thought about transferring. More likely I will visit Catholic in DC for a semester to study securities law/financial regulation. I am limited in the places I can transfer to because I have committed to work for a judge in the Fall. I will probably throw in applications to USC and UCLA only, just to see if they would take me. I'm pretty sure I will not leave SW. Making law review would seal the deal.

To answer your question, you probably need to be in the top 10-15 to make a meaningful transfer. The same is true at pretty much all schools.

Do you think top 10% at Southwestern is equivalent to top 10% at Loyola, wrt transferring?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Yes. My general impression though is that Loyola students are hotter to transfer than Southwestern students, maybe because they are more status conscious and are more likely to want BigLaw. Also Loyola is a bigger school. That may result in there being more Loyola kids at UCLA. Bottom line is that schools know that the top 10 percent of any school is outstanding.

There is an argument (that I don't necessarily believe) that it may be easier to transfer from Southwestern if the competition is not as tough as at Loyola. The reality is probably that the tippy top of both schools are competitive with each other. In other word, it might be easier to place in the top 30 at Southwestern, but just as difficult to be in the top 10.

e10

Postby e10 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Danteshek-- do you think I should write an LOCI to someone at Southwestern?

I want to be accepted so bad. I've contacted the assistant director of admissions about my situation, however maybe there should be someone else I should contact. any suggestions?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Sit tight. If they know SW is your first choice, there is no need to tell them again. Did you take an LSAT class? Worst case you wait a year and retake the LSAT.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Danteshek wrote:Sit tight. If they know SW is your first choice, there is no need to tell them again. Did you take an LSAT class? Worst case you wait a year and retake the LSAT.

How would a school know it is the first choice?

glasnost

Postby glasnost » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:24 pm

I said it in my PS for my top choice...I ended up getting in even though my numbers were below their medians.

It seems like adcomms take it seriously when you tell them they're your top choice and you sound sincere.

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Guess I am getting dinged. Went "complete and in review" on 3/26 and now my status says "final decision letter mailed." Didn't take them long. And it says FINAL, so that must mean no WL.

Oh well...add it to my list of dissappointments. I'll just ride these other WL's until August I guess.

Have fun at SW everyone! Off to Golden Gate I guess ;)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 pm

glasnost wrote:I said it in my PS for my top choice...I ended up getting in even though my numbers were below their medians.

It seems like adcomms take it seriously when you tell them they're your top choice and you sound sincere.

I like your handle. Maybe we can be friends. Can you guess what mine is?

e10

Postby e10 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:33 pm

jjinva wrote:Guess I am getting dinged. Went "complete and in review" on 3/26 and now my status says "final decision letter mailed." Didn't take them long. And it says FINAL, so that must mean no WL.

Oh well...add it to my list of dissappointments. I'll just ride these other WL's until August I guess.

Have fun at SW everyone! Off to Golden Gate I guess ;)

what are your stats?

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Actually, I take that back. Got my acceptance package today.

Strictly average stats 159/3.3. I am glad someone finally looked at my undergrad 3.91 instead of old community college stuff that brought my cumulative down to 3.3.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:22 pm

jjinva wrote:Actually, I take that back. Got my acceptance package today.

Strictly average stats 159/3.3. I am glad someone finally looked at my undergrad 3.91 instead of old community college stuff that brought my cumulative down to 3.3.

Congrats.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”