Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek

Re: Southwestern

Postby Danteshek » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Temka wrote:v Southwesterne mnoga ruskih?

A few. Tons of Armenians.

Temka

Postby Temka » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:04 pm

Ponyatna.

There is an event at SW on January 23d for Prospective students...Should I attend this, or wait to attend one in March that is for admitted students? If they make no difference in information attained I would rather go to the one in January

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Temka wrote:Ponyatna.

There is an event at SW on January 23d for Prospective students...Should I attend this, or wait to attend one in March that is for admitted students? If they make no difference in information attained I would rather go to the one in January

Just go to the one in March. Where is home for you?

Temka

Postby Temka » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:55 pm

San Francisco/ Santa Cruz. There is also a champagne brunch in early February

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:57 pm

I plan to apply mid-January. My personal statement for the other schools I have applied to are based on an my desire to learn about International Law. I know Southwestern has a lot of Int'l law courses, but, would it be wise to rework my personal statement to better suit Southwestern's strong points, or is a PS that focuses on me wanting to be a part of law in a global setting fine?

Temka

Postby Temka » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:01 am

Yes. Just make sure it is well written and shows who you are well

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:44 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I plan to apply mid-January. My personal statement for the other schools I have applied to are based on an my desire to learn about International Law. I know Southwestern has a lot of Int'l law courses, but, would it be wise to rework my personal statement to better suit Southwestern's strong points, or is a PS that focuses on me wanting to be a part of law in a global setting fine?

That sounds fine. Do you know foreign languages? Have you lived abroad? Are you really committed to this or is it just a passing interest? Make sure your bona fides check out.

I have a friend in SCALE who worked at the Hague for the summer.

Also, Southwestern is one of the few schools that will allow you to take Public International Law as an elective in the second semester of your first year (with Professor Lutz).

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:11 am

Danteshek wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I plan to apply mid-January. My personal statement for the other schools I have applied to are based on an my desire to learn about International Law. I know Southwestern has a lot of Int'l law courses, but, would it be wise to rework my personal statement to better suit Southwestern's strong points, or is a PS that focuses on me wanting to be a part of law in a global setting fine?

That sounds fine. Do you know foreign languages? Have you lived abroad? Are you really committed to this or is it just a passing interest? Make sure your bona fides check out.

Also, Southwestern is one of the few schools that will allow you to take Public International Law as an elective in the second semester of your first year (with Professor Lutz).

Yes I am very much committed to being involved in International Law. I know two routes that I would enjoy as a lawyer, one doing International Investment Law (such as helping businesses and individuals invest their money in foreign markets) and the other being a part of legal reform in developing countries (which is what my personal statement shed light onto as to why I want to practice law).

GeesesAintTeethes

Postby GeesesAintTeethes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:18 am

I'll be applying there. It's a 5 minute walk from my apartment. I definitely want to go to this campus and I hope I get in. I'm in the range, so let's hope I can make it.

Applying for Fall '10.
LSAT 154
GPA 3.5
UGPA 3.6

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Yes I am very much committed to being involved in International Law. I know two routes that I would enjoy as a lawyer, one doing International Investment Law (such as helping businesses and individuals invest their money in foreign markets) and the other being a part of legal reform in developing countries (which is what my personal statement shed light onto as to why I want to practice law).

Sounds vague and a tad grandiose. Do you have significant work experience in the investment management arena (I do)? What developing countries are you interested in? Do you speak the language?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:18 am

GeesesAintTeethes wrote:I'll be applying there. It's a 5 minute walk from my apartment. I definitely want to go to this campus and I hope I get in. I'm in the range, so let's hope I can make it.

Applying for Fall '10.
LSAT 154
GPA 3.5
UGPA 3.6

Good luck. My guess is that you will be waitlisted and then admitted.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 pm

File complete and in review as of yesterday. Submitted 12/22

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Good luck!

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:14 pm

My app is complete and in review as of yesterday. My numbers are 163/3.51. Do I have any chance at a full tuition scholarship?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 pm

yo! wrote:My app is complete and in review as of yesterday. My numbers are 163/3.51. Do I have any chance at a full tuition scholarship?

Probably. Hopefully your application demonstrated your knowledge of and interest in Southwestern. Kudos if you're interested in public interest. Other factors include how early in the cycle you applied (ie. how much money there is left to throw around), whether you grew up in LA etc., what your personal statement says about your maturity and motivations for getting a law degree ---> factors that give the committee confidence that you would actually attend and graduate from Southwestern. Southwestern generally gives most of the scholarships money to students after they are already enrolled (mainly for 1L academic performance). If you are offered a major scholarship at entry, it probably will only be granted after interview.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Danteshek wrote:
yo! wrote:My app is complete and in review as of yesterday. My numbers are 163/3.51. Do I have any chance at a full tuition scholarship?

Probably. Hopefully your application demonstrated your knowledge of and interest in Southwestern. Kudos if you're interested in public interest. Other factors include how early in the cycle you applied (ie. how much money there is left to throw around), whether you grew up in LA etc., what your personal statement says about your maturity and motivations for getting a law degree ---> factors that give the committee confidence that you would actually attend and graduate from Southwestern. Southwestern generally gives most of the scholarships money to students after they are already enrolled (mainly for 1L academic performance). If you are offered a major scholarship at entry, it probably will only be granted after interview.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 pm

[response to a PM]

Hey

Southwestern does give out some major scholarships at entry - about 40 to 50 out of approximately 300 entering students every year. They are the Schumacher and Wildman scholarships.

The Wildman award is based on a combination of academic factors. GPA has to be in the B+/A- range and the LSAT probably has to be 160 or higher.

The Schumacher is a little different with the academic requirements relaxed slightly (GPA needs to be above 3.0) but with other considerations such as leadership and (perhaps) minority status. LSAT for Schumacher probably also has to be 160 or higher. The name of the scholarship after all is the Schumacher Minority Leadership Scholarship Program. However, I know two latino students who got half scholarships with 155 LSAT scores.

Nevertheless Southwestern says on its website that they consider all accepted scholarship students for both these programs. I do not know whether being Asian counts for anything, but it probably doesn't. Southwestern has a large number of minorities of all stripes so I don't think minorities necessarily get the same boost as they would get at a school with requirements so high they have trouble attracting minorities.

http://www.swlaw.edu/studentservices/fi ... ts/special

If you decide to come to Southwestern I do not recommend you live in Koreatown. The incremental benefit of being able to walk to school is not worth the additional stress of living in that area. It is much better to live 4-5 miles West of Southwestern in the Miracle Mile area, west of La Brea and North of Wilshire. Also, I recommend you find some sort of multi-family building in the area. Do not get an apartment at Park La Brea (the huge development that looks like the projects.)

I always recommend prospective students to sell their cars and take the bus to school. It's only 15 minutes and buses come every 3-5 minutes. You can apply for a student bus pass for $36 a month and you don't have to pay for parking at Southwestern.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.

OlderHopeful

Postby OlderHopeful » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Danteshek, what division are you in? Traditional or SCALE?

I am looking into the SCALE program and was wondering about the job prospects for SCALE versus Traditional. Are the SCALE students hindered in any way? Also, if selling the car is not an option, what is the parking situation like at the school? How much is monthly/semester parking?

Thanks in advance.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:58 pm

I am in the Traditional Day program. I was admitted to SCALE and ultimately decided to do Traditional.

SCALE students do not have the same flexibility in course selection and participation in honors programs. In terms of course selection a SCALE student has a 100% lockstep program during which the student can pick only one "traditional" course during one of the SCALE periods (only during SCALE II, I think). That said, a SCALE student can do summer school between SCALE I and SCALE II just like any other student, and take traditional classes during that time. A student in SCALE can make law review, but will not be able to serve on the board (i.e. become Editor in Chief or Managing Editor). Same goes for Moot Court (can make the team, but will not serve on board of governors). SCALE students do one externship between SCALE I and SCALE II and one after SCALE II before they graduate. There is less free time before graduation to sample different workplaces (but there is some). SCALE students will have less time to participate in public interest activities like Teen Court and GRAP (General Relief Advocacy Project), VITA (income tax assistance) etc. A SCALE student will probably not have time to be a TA or Research assistance for a professor during the semester. Overall, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want the ultra intense experience and want to be done sooner then do SCALE. If you want to have the most possible options for deploying your time during law school, do traditional. SCALE might work better for someone who knows exactly what he wants to do when he graduates (and thus will pick the appropriate externships). SCALE gives a student less room for error in terms of career planning while in law school.

Parking is $150 per semester or so. There is a huge parking lot.

ahk!

Postby ahk! » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 pm

status changed today

"Pending Decision 1/20/2010"

OlderHopeful

Postby OlderHopeful » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:17 am

Thank you so much for your very informative response. I greatly appreciate it!!!

Danteshek wrote:I am in the Traditional Day program. I was admitted to SCALE and ultimately decided to do Traditional.

SCALE students do not have the same flexibility in course selection and participation in honors programs. In terms of course selection a SCALE student has a 100% lockstep program during which the student can pick only one "traditional" course during one of the SCALE periods (only during SCALE II, I think). That said, a SCALE student can do summer school between SCALE I and SCALE II just like any other student, and take traditional classes during that time. A student in SCALE can make law review, but will not be able to serve on the board (i.e. become Editor in Chief or Managing Editor). Same goes for Moot Court (can make the team, but will not serve on board of governors). SCALE students do one externship between SCALE I and SCALE II and one after SCALE II before they graduate. There is less free time before graduation to sample different workplaces (but there is some). SCALE students will have less time to participate in public interest activities like Teen Court and GRAP (General Relief Advocacy Project), VITA (income tax assistance) etc. A SCALE student will probably not have time to be a TA or Research assistance for a professor during the semester. Overall, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want the ultra intense experience and want to be done sooner then do SCALE. If you want to have the most possible options for deploying your time during law school, do traditional. SCALE might work better for someone who knows exactly what he wants to do when he graduates (and thus will pick the appropriate externships). SCALE gives a student less room for error in terms of career planning while in law school.

Parking is $150 per semester or so. There is a huge parking lot.

chango

Postby chango » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 am

Danteshek wrote:[response to a PM]

Hey

Southwestern does give out some major scholarships at entry - about 40 to 50 out of approximately 300 entering students every year. They are the Schumacher and Wildman scholarships.

The Wildman award is based on a combination of academic factors. GPA has to be in the B+/A- range and the LSAT probably has to be 160 or higher.

The Schumacher is a little different with the academic requirements relaxed slightly (GPA needs to be above 3.0) but with other considerations such as leadership and (perhaps) minority status. LSAT for Schumacher probably also has to be 160 or higher. The name of the scholarship after all is the Schumacher Minority Leadership Scholarship Program. However, I know two latino students who got half scholarships with 155 LSAT scores.

Nevertheless Southwestern says on its website that they consider all accepted scholarship students for both these programs. I do not know whether being Asian counts for anything, but it probably doesn't. Southwestern has a large number of minorities of all stripes so I don't think minorities necessarily get the same boost as they would get at a school with requirements so high they have trouble attracting minorities.

http://www.swlaw.edu/studentservices/fi ... ts/special

If you decide to come to Southwestern I do not recommend you live in Koreatown. The incremental benefit of being able to walk to school is not worth the additional stress of living in that area. It is much better to live 4-5 miles West of Southwestern in the Miracle Mile area, west of La Brea and North of Wilshire. Also, I recommend you find some sort of multi-family building in the area. Do not get an apartment at Park La Brea (the huge development that looks like the projects.)

I always recommend prospective students to sell their cars and take the bus to school. It's only 15 minutes and buses come every 3-5 minutes. You can apply for a student bus pass for $36 a month and you don't have to pay for parking at Southwestern.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.

The stress of living in Koreatown? Really, how so?! I love Koreatown. I wouldn't mind living there at all. It's one of the few (almost) 24 hour neighborhoods in Los Angeles. Oh and you forgot to mention the Red line station. You could basically live anywhere along the Redline and be within 10-20 min. of Southwestern.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:13 am

IMO it's valuable to get away from school. That's why I advocate not living within walking distance of school.

chango

Postby chango » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:17 am

Danteshek wrote:IMO it's valuable to get away from school. That's why I advocate not living within walking distance of school.

Ah, okay, then I see your point.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:53 pm

My status also changed to pending decision 1/20. I hope I get in, I'd really like to go there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”