Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek

Gold

Re: Southwestern

Post by Danteshek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Interviewed with public interest firm Bet Tzedek on campus and got offer, but offer was for the fall and not the summer...

swiard

New

Post by swiard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Just finished my SCALE interview over the phone with Professor Rolnick...what a wonderfully nice woman. They were running behind and ended up calling me while I was on a bus and she talked with me on my entire ride up to class! I felt the interview went well and she told me that she will be recommending me for admission to the program and that I should feel pretty confident about being accepted. She also told me she would put in a good word on my behalf for scholarship consideration which was far too nice of her (I was concerned having interviewed so late that all the scholarship money would be gone by now).

Overall, this put a spring in my step today and I can't wait to receive my official decision and any scholarship offer.

Any other excited SCALE applicants out there?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:03 pm

swiard wrote:Just finished my SCALE interview over the phone with Professor Rolnick...what a wonderfully nice woman. They were running behind and ended up calling me while I was on a bus and she talked with me on my entire ride up to class! I felt the interview went well and she told me that she will be recommending me for admission to the program and that I should feel pretty confident about being accepted. She also told me she would put in a good word on my behalf for scholarship consideration which was far too nice of her (I was concerned having interviewed so late that all the scholarship money would be gone by now).

Overall, this put a spring in my step today and I can't wait to receive my official decision and any scholarship offer.

If you don't care about not being in Los Angeles, I think you should take the full ride to Chapman.

swiard

New

Post by swiard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Danteshek wrote:
swiard wrote:Just finished my SCALE interview over the phone with Professor Rolnick...what a wonderfully nice woman. They were running behind and ended up calling me while I was on a bus and she talked with me on my entire ride up to class! I felt the interview went well and she told me that she will be recommending me for admission to the program and that I should feel pretty confident about being accepted. She also told me she would put in a good word on my behalf for scholarship consideration which was far too nice of her (I was concerned having interviewed so late that all the scholarship money would be gone by now).

If you don't care about not being in Los Angeles, I think you should take the full ride to Chapman.
Really? I'm very surprised, I was expecting you to try and sell me Dante. I'm originally from the San Gabriel Valley, so the distance to both is about the same (although obviously the L.A. commute would be worse, but I have relatives closer to the campus that I could stay with). That being said, location is not really an issue to me as I like both LA and OC.

Why do you say Chapman? Cost alone or is there another reason? Do you think I have a decent shot at a scholarship from Southwestern that would make the cost manageable?

I'm interested in SCALE and Southwestern in general, so I apologize for all the questions, but I'm just surprised by your response.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Don't get me wrong. I love Southwestern and think it's a great school. You might have a good reason to turn down the full ride to Chapman and come to Southwestern, even with no money. But you should understand that your success will turn on what you do in the next three years and not a choice between the law schools you are considering. I might have decided to attend Southwestern over Chapman even with a full ride but that is mainly because being in LA is very important to me. If you don't really care and you don't have special interests that make Southwestern a much better choice than Chapman for your goals, I don't see how you can turn down a full ride to Chapman absent financial aid from Southwestern. My view is that in terms of opportunities all T4,T3 and T2 schools are basically the same and that the quality of education is essentially the same accross all ABA schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:21 am

swiard wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Really? I'm very surprised, I was expecting you to try and sell me Dante. I'm originally from the San Gabriel Valley, so the distance to both is about the same (although obviously the L.A. commute would be worse, but I have relatives closer to the campus that I could stay with). That being said, location is not really an issue to me as I like both LA and OC.

Why do you say Chapman? Cost alone or is there another reason? Do you think I have a decent shot at a scholarship from Southwestern that would make the cost manageable?

I'm interested in SCALE and Southwestern in general, so I apologize for all the questions, but I'm just surprised by your response.

Although Chapman and Southwestern have similar rankings, they strike me as very different environments. Chapman is a faith based institution with a decidedly conservative feel. Southwestern comes across as being more diverse and progressive.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:56 am

chango wrote:
swiard wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Although Chapman and Southwestern have similar rankings, they strike me as very different environments. Chapman is a faith based institution with a decidedly conservative feel. Southwestern comes across as being more diverse and progressive.

I don't think Chapman is that "faith" oriented. I mean they are hosting, or they did host (I cant remember the date) a marijuana legalization conference. I really dont think either school is conservative.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:36 pm

I don't think Chapman is that "faith" oriented. I mean they are hosting, or they did host (I cant remember the date) a marijuana legalization conference. I really dont think either school is conservative.
Former Dean of Chapman Law is a critic of medical marijuana http://www.publicradio.org/columns/kpcc ... marij.html

He just stepped down to pursue the Republican nomination for CA Attorney General. Ed Meese (!) is his honorary campaign chairman.

"The school maintains its historical connection to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) through its resolve to educate ethical, spiritual and intellectual individuals."

http://www.chapman.edu/law/about/chapmanhistory.asp

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:47 pm

chango wrote:Although Chapman and Southwestern have similar rankings, they strike me as very different environments. Chapman is a faith based institution with a decidedly conservative feel. Southwestern comes across as being more diverse and progressive.
Disclaimer: I have no firsthand experience with Southwestern, and I only found this thread because I search "Chapman" to answer people's questions.

Chapman is definitely not faith based - note that the only place you find anything about the DOC is in the Chapman History section. Edit: Also just realized that the DOC reference is in the general Chapman history section, not the law school's history. Believe me, you don't feel religious undertones just by going to Chapman.

I don't know why people consider Chapman a conservative school; yes, it's in Orange County. Yes, ex-Dean Eastman is a prominent Republican. But the political diversity at the law school is quite impressive, and it's something the school is very proud of. That goes for both students and faculty. There are some decidedly conservative faculty (Hugh Hewitt), and some decidedly liberal faculty (Darmer, Rosenthal, Canova)... and I'd much rather be taught by professors on both extremes of the political spectrum than by moderate professors.

If you are concerned about the environment or feel of any school, I encourage you to visit and talk to the students about what they think. I don't know any students at Chapman who think of the school as conservative.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:12 pm

I don't think medical marijuana is a pure liberal/conservative issue. I'm fairly liberal and think that medical marijuana for anything but terminal ilness and extreme pain is a complete joke and nothing more than an excuse to get high. I'm thinking of all the patients with "anxiety disorders." Most of my friends agree with me.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Sorry for hijacking a Southwestern thread to discuss Chapman, but since they're "competitors" in a sense, (insofar as they are both SoCal schools that attract applicants of similar scores)....

If you are concerned about the environment or feel of any school, I encourage you to visit and talk to the students about what they think. I don't know any students at Chapman who think of the school as conservative.
I'd be interested to see some actual data on the political and religious composition of the Chapman student body versus other comparable law schools. Chapman asks about "Religious Preference" on their application:

Baptist
Buddhist
Catholic
Christian
Disciples of Christ
Jewish
Latter-Day Saints
Moslem
Protestant
Other____________

swiard

New

Post by swiard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Wow TLS you never cease to amaze me. I didn't think so many would want to give advice on the Southwestern/Chapman debate. I appreciate all the responses to my post. I hope to visit both Chapman and Southwestern when I go home for spring break to get a feel for the campuses. That being said, I am also waiting to hear back from other schools (including Loyola) and scholarship money will play at least some part in my decision.

Bring on the money Southwestern! The SCALE program is so tempting

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:15 pm

In at Southwestern today via snail mail

included was a letter asking me to call and interview for a Wildman/Schumacher scholarship

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:19 pm

Was at the Entertainment Law Career Day today at Southwestern (mentioned earlier in the thread). As with everything I've attended at Soutwestern, I was impressed.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 am

Barrister's Ball tonight at Mountain Gate Country Club :) (law school prom)
My date looks fantastic.

angela

New

Post by angela » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:30 am

I got a letter telling me to schedule an interview for the SCALE program and i am wondering if anyone can provide some insight to some of the things they ask? Also, who is it better to schedule the interview with as far as scholarship money is concerned (the letter provides options, the director of the program, assistant dean, faculty member). I also live in Santa Cruz and was just going to request a phone interview; anybody know if that is looked negatively upon. any insight would help. Thanks!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Danteshek wrote:Barrister's Ball tonight at Mountain Gate Country Club :) (law school prom)
My date looks fantastic.
Wow. Debating the significance of an apostrophe. Insert your own lawyer joke here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barristers'_Ball

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

star10

New

Post by star10 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:21 pm

I did a phone interview for the Wildman/Schumacher. I got a half scholarship for the day program. Would I have gotten more if I did the interview in person, no idea.... They seemed super chill though when I asked to do the interview on the phone

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I have a SCALE interview for March 15. I also applied for the regular day time program, which is my first choice, and I've been pending decision since 2/4. I'm hoping they don't delay my decision for the 3 year program until after my SCALE interview.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:52 pm

amorfati42 wrote:I have a SCALE interview for March 15. I also applied for the regular day time program, which is my first choice, and I've been pending decision since 2/4. I'm hoping they don't delay my decision for the 3 year program until after my SCALE interview.
they wont

i got a letter asking to set up an interview for SCALE, and then i got my acceptance packet 2 days later without ever having called back to setup the SCALE interview

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 pm

In with 161 and 3.3. First school to admit me, pretty exciting.

Also got a letter for a Wildman or Schumacher scholarship asking me to setup an interview. Anyone know anything about these scholarships? How many recipients?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:58 pm

jpla wrote:In with 161 and 3.3. First school to admit me, pretty exciting.

Also got a letter for a Wildman or Schumacher scholarship asking me to setup an interview. Anyone know anything about these scholarships? How many recipients?
Southwestern does give out some major scholarships at entry - about 40 to 50 out of approximately 300 entering students every year. They are the Schumacher and Wildman scholarships.

The Wildman award is based on a combination of academic factors. GPA has to be in the B+/A- range and the LSAT probably has to be 160 or higher.

The Schumacher is a little different with the academic requirements relaxed slightly (GPA needs to be above 3.0) but with other considerations such as leadership and minority status. LSAT for Schumacher probably also has to be 160 or higher.

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:07 pm

What is the interview process like? For those of you who have undergone the interview process, what were the questions like? What did it seem like they were looking for?

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:23 pm

chango wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Barrister's Ball tonight at Mountain Gate Country Club :) (law school prom)
My date looks fantastic.
Wow. Debating the significance of an apostrophe. Insert your own lawyer joke here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barristers'_Ball
A lawyer and a priest walk into a bar...

lawchampion

Bronze

Post by lawchampion » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:33 pm

jpla wrote:What is the interview process like? For those of you who have undergone the interview process, what were the questions like? What did it seem like they were looking for?
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”