Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek

Re: Southwestern

Postby Danteshek » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:42 pm

chango wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I applied today with a 157/2.9 3 years out of school. You think I have a good shot at southwestern? I know this is not the proper forum to ask, but I figure there are more people viewing this thread than others related to sw. Thanks!

Odds are about 1 in 3. If you are an URM, it jumps to 3 in 4.

I think her odds are about 2 in 3 or better. I had 157/3.05 and got in without a problem (I was not wait-listed and I applied extremely late in the process). I was four years out of school.

llama joon

Postby llama joon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:05 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:I'm also interviewing for the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarship today and I'm getting a campus tour. I'm excited!

I'd love to, but I have to head on back to work right after :x I just got into Loyola today so it's gonna come down to $ for me, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Nice! Would love to hear how the interview went, I'm scheduled for a tour and interview early next month...I'm also waiting to hear from Loyola. I'd rather go to Loyola if I get in, but the scholarship money is definitely tempting. Let us know what you decide and good luck :)

naokidayo

Southwestern Scale interview

Postby naokidayo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 pm

I have a scale interview scheduled for 2/16. Has anybody already gone through the interview process? If so, what is their main purpose? Is it just an attempt by them to promote and get you to enroll in scale or more of a tool they use to decide whether to admit or deny you? I`ve heard some say that an interview request means you`re pretty much in... can anyone enlighten me? I applied traditional day as first choice and scale as second.

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 pm

llama joon wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:I'm also interviewing for the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarship today and I'm getting a campus tour. I'm excited!

I'd love to, but I have to head on back to work right after :x I just got into Loyola today so it's gonna come down to $ for me, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Nice! Would love to hear how the interview went, I'm scheduled for a tour and interview early next month...I'm also waiting to hear from Loyola. I'd rather go to Loyola if I get in, but the scholarship money is definitely tempting. Let us know what you decide and good luck :)

Yes if I got the full ride it would be difficult not to take it. The interview went well, however the campus didn't impress me much. It's very small, granted it's not part of a larger university so it makes sense. Also, my tour was cut short because I had to go to work. I really liked the professor I interviewed with, however. I got into Loyola as well and currently it is my #1 choice, however Southwestern has awesome study abroad options that Loyola seems to lack. Unless if by some miracle I got into USC or UCLA, I think it will come down to SW or Loyola.

yune

Postby yune » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:19 pm

[/quote]
Yes if I got the full ride it would be difficult not to take it. The interview went well, however the campus didn't impress me much. It's very small, granted it's not part of a larger university so it makes sense. Also, my tour was cut short because I had to go to work. I really liked the professor I interviewed with, however. I got into Loyola as well and currently it is my #1 choice, however Southwestern has awesome study abroad options that Loyola seems to lack. Unless if by some miracle I got into USC or UCLA, I think it will come down to SW or Loyola.[/quote]

Would you mind sharing what questions were asked in the interview? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:26 pm

yune wrote:Would you mind sharing what questions were asked in the interview? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most of the questions pertained to my personal statement, which I could tell the professor read VERY thoroughly. Other than that, they pretty much want to know what you wanna do with your law degree. Then I got to ask questions. I wasn't nervous at all except for the what do you wanna do with your law degree question. I honestly don't know yet!! The professor appreciated my honestly and seemed to like me. :D We'll see...

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:
yune wrote:Would you mind sharing what questions were asked in the interview? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most of the questions pertained to my personal statement, which I could tell the professor read VERY thoroughly. Other than that, they pretty much want to know what you wanna do with your law degree. Then I got to ask questions. I wasn't nervous at all except for the what do you wanna do with your law degree question. I honestly don't know yet!! The professor appreciated my honestly and seemed to like me. :D We'll see...

I think the truth is most people have no idea how/where they want to apply their degree.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:23 am

15th Annual Entertainment Law Career Day
February 20th

PROGRAM SCHEDULE
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Westmoreland
Building Lobby Check-in and Registration
8:00 a.m. – 12:50 p.m.
W 3rd Floor Refreshments – Chat/Network
9:00 a.m. – 9:50 a.m.
W311 Lawyers in the Television & Cable Industries
Emma Brackett
AT&T, Inc.
David Brown
Warner Bros. Television
Jeffrey Hegedus
Hulu
Mary Lawler
Turner Network Television
W329 Entertainment Law in the Law Firm Setting
Gordon Firemark
Law Offices of Gordon Firemark
Adam Sullins
O’Melveny & [deleted]
Mychal Wilson
MindFusion Law
10:00 a.m. – 10:50 a.m.
W311 Entertainment Law in the Motion Picture Industry
Keith Blau
Universal Pictures
Elizabeth Powell
Essential Entertainment
Lauren Wilson
IM Global Film

10:00 a.m. – 10:50 a.m. (con’t)
W329 Lawyers in the Music Industry
Zeina Hamzeh
Warner/Chappell Music
David Helfant
Law Offices of David Helfant
Bradley Shenfeld
Loeb & Loeb
Heidy Vaquerano
LaPolt Law
11:00 a.m. – 11:50 p.m.

W311 Internet & New Media Lawyers
Mark Friedlander
Screen Actors Guild
James Nguyen
Wildman Harrold Allen & Dixon
Noah Soloman
ABC Television
W329 Guilds: The Intersection of Entertainment & Labor Law David Besbris
American Federation of TV & Radio Artists
David Gregoire
Screen Actors Guild
Amy Susdorf
Writers Guild of America
12:00 p.m. – 12:50 p.m.
W311 Intellectual Property in the Entertainment Law Realm
Christian Dowell
Keats, McFarland & Wilson
Paul Menes
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold
Neil Ollivierra
Lionsgate Entertainment
W329 Sports Law
Mark Bloom
Fusion Sports Management
Leanna Einbinder
Fox Sports
Vered Yakovee
Law Offices of Vared Yakovee

Temka

Postby Temka » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:37 am

Danteshek wrote:15th Annual Entertainment Law Career Day
February 20th

PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Westmoreland
Emma Brackett
AT&T, Inc.
David Brown
Warner Bros. Television
Jeffrey Hegedus
Hulu
Mary Lawler
Gordon Firemark
Adam Sullins
O’Melveny & [deleted]
Mychal Wilson
MindFusion Law
Keith Blau
Universal Pictures
Elizabeth Powell
Essential Entertainment
Lauren Wilson
IM Global Film

Zeina Hamzeh
Warner/Chappell Music
David Helfant
Bradley Shenfeld
Loeb & Loeb
Heidy Vaquerano
LaPolt Law

Mark Friedlander
Screen Actors Guild
James Nguyen
Noah Soloman
ABC Television
David Gregoire
Screen Actors Guild
Amy Susdorf
Writers Guild of America
Christian Dowell
Paul Menes
Neil Ollivierra
Lionsgate Entertainment
W329 Sports Law
Mark Bloom
Fusion Sports Management
Leanna Einbinder
Fox Sports
Vered Yakovee

Is this at SW? If so, that is exactly one of the reasons I am leaning towards SW!

solardust

Postby solardust » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 am

llama joon wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

The scholarship money is very tempting!

I received a full-ride to Southwestern and nothing from Loyola. Coming out with $40k living expenses (SCALE, 2 year program) or $60k living expenses (Traditional) is looking a lot better than $180k debt from Loyola right now.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:40 am

Temka wrote:
Danteshek wrote:15th Annual Entertainment Law Career Day
February 20th

PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Westmoreland
Emma Brackett
AT&T, Inc.
David Brown
Warner Bros. Television
Jeffrey Hegedus
Hulu
Mary Lawler
Gordon Firemark
Adam Sullins
O’Melveny & [deleted]
Mychal Wilson
MindFusion Law
Keith Blau
Universal Pictures
Elizabeth Powell
Essential Entertainment
Lauren Wilson
IM Global Film

Zeina Hamzeh
Warner/Chappell Music
David Helfant
Bradley Shenfeld
Loeb & Loeb
Heidy Vaquerano
LaPolt Law

Mark Friedlander
Screen Actors Guild
James Nguyen
Noah Soloman
ABC Television
David Gregoire
Screen Actors Guild
Amy Susdorf
Writers Guild of America
Christian Dowell
Paul Menes
Neil Ollivierra
Lionsgate Entertainment
W329 Sports Law
Mark Bloom
Fusion Sports Management
Leanna Einbinder
Fox Sports
Vered Yakovee

Is this at SW? If so, that is exactly one of the reasons I am leaning towards SW!

Yeah it is at SW. Students from all the Socal law schools will be there.

SoCalKevin

Postby SoCalKevin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:46 am

yune wrote:

Yes if I got the full ride it would be difficult not to take it. The interview went well, however the campus didn't impress me much. It's very small, granted it's not part of a larger university so it makes sense. Also, my tour was cut short because I had to go to work. I really liked the professor I interviewed with, however. I got into Loyola as well and currently it is my #1 choice, however Southwestern has awesome study abroad options that Loyola seems to lack. Unless if by some miracle I got into USC or UCLA, I think it will come down to SW or Loyola.[/quote]

Would you mind sharing what questions were asked in the interview? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

I took a tour at Loyola and they mentioned some really nice study abroad options- you should give them a call and check into it if you're interested.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Update

Today:
US Army JAG interview (OCI)
Call back interview with US Department of Labor (Employment Benefits and Security Administration)

Tuesday 16th:
Bet Tzedek interview (OCI)

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm

SoCalKevin wrote:I took a tour at Loyola and they mentioned some really nice study abroad options- you should give them a call and check into it if you're interested.

Yeah true I did check out their website and they have a program in Italy and one in Costa Rica I believe. I'll look more into that, thanks.

Mr. Matlock wrote:I think the truth is most people have no idea how/where they want to apply their degree.

Yeah I agree I just felt so unprepared for that question. I didn't wanna say something cliche like "I wanna help the world".

SoCalKevin

Postby SoCalKevin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:
SoCalKevin wrote:I took a tour at Loyola and they mentioned some really nice study abroad options- you should give them a call and check into it if you're interested.

Yeah true I did check out their website and they have a program in Italy and one in Costa Rica I believe. I'll look more into that, thanks.

Mr. Matlock wrote:I think the truth is most people have no idea how/where they want to apply their degree.

Yeah I agree I just felt so unprepared for that question. I didn't wanna say something cliche like "I wanna help the world".

And London, and one other place- Hong Kong or Thailand possibly, I think it was in Asia.

Soul Minded

Postby Soul Minded » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:31 pm

I have got to wonder whether the interview is even taken into account, in the end my guess is that they just give everyone with similar numbers the same offer al la chapman.

I don't really know how the whole scholarship thing works at Southwest from an insiders perspective but I am sure they offer many scholarships to people who apply with a 165 3.6 or higher, who never had the slightest intention of really going there, therefore making it likely that the amount of full scholarship offers to people who are actually going to be attending is very low. Given that most of those people who were admitted with the exceedingly high numbers have not withdrawn from Southwest yet and therefore in the eyes of the committee are still in the same position as those who actually want to attend, scholarships are likely to be allocated to them. The rest of us may get some money, but certainly not full rides and when those people who were given the big offers finally do withdraw it will be too late for the university to change offers to all those who actually plan to attend.

Damn you people who use safety schools unnecessarily. Lets hope I am wrong about the scholarships.

jyounker3

Postby jyounker3 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Admitted into the SCALE program! 3.6/154, straight out of undergrad (currently attending a liberal arts college in the Midwest). No scholarship money though, is this normal with my numbers? I was hoping for at least something with my GPA. Would asking them for money be worth it?

Soul Minded

Postby Soul Minded » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 pm

your never going to get scholarship money on 25th percentile LSAT unless URM

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Soul Minded wrote:I have got to wonder whether the interview is even taken into account, in the end my guess is that they just give everyone with similar numbers the same offer al la chapman.

I don't really know how the whole scholarship thing works at Southwest from an insiders perspective but I am sure they offer many scholarships to people who apply with a 165 3.6 or higher, who never had the slightest intention of really going there, therefore making it likely that the amount of full scholarship offers to people who are actually going to be attending is very low. Given that most of those people who were admitted with the exceedingly high numbers have not withdrawn from Southwest yet and therefore in the eyes of the committee are still in the same position as those who actually want to attend, scholarships are likely to be allocated to them. The rest of us may get some money, but certainly not full rides and when those people who were given the big offers finally do withdraw it will be too late for the university to change offers to all those who actually plan to attend.

Damn you people who use safety schools unnecessarily. Lets hope I am wrong about the scholarships.

I feel bound to inform you that the name of this law school is Southwestern, not Southwest.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 pm

jyounker3 wrote:Admitted into the SCALE program! 3.6/154, straight out of undergrad (currently attending a liberal arts college in the Midwest). No scholarship money though, is this normal with my numbers? I was hoping for at least something with my GPA. Would asking them for money be worth it?

Which liberal arts school? I went to Wesleyan University (CT)

jyounker3

Postby jyounker3 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Danteshek wrote:
jyounker3 wrote:Admitted into the SCALE program! 3.6/154, straight out of undergrad (currently attending a liberal arts college in the Midwest). No scholarship money though, is this normal with my numbers? I was hoping for at least something with my GPA. Would asking them for money be worth it?

Which liberal arts school? I went to Wesleyan University (CT)

The College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with my acceptance, I just think that the interview went really well. I am super excited with Southwestern's SCALE!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Awesome. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions about Southwestern that I haven't already answered in previous posts.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:09 pm

On Friday I went for a call back interview with the United States Department of Labor, Employee Benefits and Security Administration. I was interviewed by two supervising investigators, both of whom were attorneys. They asked me detailed questions about my background in the securities industry. The meeting was extremely informative. They investigate private pension plans and asset managers who violate their fiduciary obligations under ERISA. This area of the law is particularly complicated... I went in thinking that they weren't practicing attorneys (they are separate from the office of the solicitor of labor), but I came out really excited about what they do. They investigate violations and settle with the funds about 90% of the time. In the remaining cases they either build a case for trial (civil or criminal). One of the guys who interviewed me used to be a trial lawyer with the office of the solicitor of labor and said that investigating is much more interesting than actually trying the case after all the evidence is in place. After meeting with him I am inclined to believe him.

Soul Minded

Postby Soul Minded » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Anybody hear back about their Wildman scholarship amount that went for an interview in the last few weeks?

schnazdoodle

Postby schnazdoodle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Soul Minded wrote:Anybody hear back about their Wildman scholarship amount that went for an interview in the last few weeks?

I had my scholarship interview on 2/4. Haven't heard anything yet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”