Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Soul Minded

Re: Southwestern

Postby Soul Minded » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:27 pm

How much did you get if you don't mind me asking? I am trying to get a general ballpark I have decent stats 158, 3.78 from a top 30 college and I am trying really hard to decide what to do in the coming weeks.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Just sent a late app in tonite, when should I hear back?

haylie

Postby haylie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:40 am

meddlingkid wrote:
haylie wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:Hi all, I got accepted today but there was no info about scholarships or other dollars--for those of you who have been accepted, does scholarship info come with the acceptance packet or later on?

Thanks!

what were your numbers meddling? I'm still waiting. 156/2.5

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/meddlingkid

Good luck!

wow, congrats on all the great schools. I'm hoping for Seattle University (applied as part time), it's a stretch, but I like to be hopeful.

Are you thinking of attending Hastings?

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Soul Minded wrote:How much did you get if you don't mind me asking? I am trying to get a general ballpark I have decent stats 158, 3.78 from a top 30 college and I am trying really hard to decide what to do in the coming weeks.

In the end, they offered me $20,000. My number isn't that great - 160/3.1. With the amount that they offered me & their reputation in LA I am definitely considering attending the school. I also visited the school a few times and I really enjoyed the environment & facility at Southwestern. Let me know if you have any other question.

chango

Postby chango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:33 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:
Soul Minded wrote:How much did you get if you don't mind me asking? I am trying to get a general ballpark I have decent stats 158, 3.78 from a top 30 college and I am trying really hard to decide what to do in the coming weeks.

In the end, they offered me $20,000. My number isn't that great - 160/3.1. With the amount that they offered me & their reputation in LA I am definitely considering attending the school. I also visited the school a few times and I really enjoyed the environment & facility at Southwestern. Let me know if you have any other question.

Congratulations.

So is it between Santa Clara with $8K or Southwestern with $20K? That's an interesting choice...

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks chango.

Yes it is tough to decide right now, but I'll be visiting Santa Clara in a few weeks to see what the school is like. It's hard to leave LA since my family is here. Plus I'm extremely debt aversed. I can manage Southwestern with very little debt or I would graduate with at least $90,000 in debt at Santa Clara. Seeing that amount alone just makes me want to stay in LA.

chango

Postby chango » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:12 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:Thanks chango.

Yes it is tough to decide right now, but I'll be visiting Santa Clara in a few weeks to see what the school is like. It's hard to leave LA since my family is here. Plus I'm extremely debt aversed. I can manage Southwestern with very little debt or I would graduate with at least $90,000 in debt at Santa Clara. Seeing that amount alone just makes me want to stay in LA.

Ah, very little debt vs. 90K debt is a totally different story, especially given that you're debt adverse. Unless you absolutely fall in love with Santa Clara, I say Southwestern.

Also, reading between the lines, it sounds like the support of your family is important to you. Having them nearby probably adds weight in favor of SW.

amorfati42

Postby amorfati42 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Anyone have any advice for a SCALE interview? I'm supposed to set up an interview with them soon. I'd rather do the traditional 3-year program, but I figured I'd go ahead and interview for SCALE too.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:37 pm

amorfati42 wrote:Anyone have any advice for a SCALE interview? I'm supposed to set up an interview with them soon. I'd rather do the traditional 3-year program, but I figured I'd go ahead and interview for SCALE too.

Play up your work experience and ability to handle pressure.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Just found out my interview schedule for Feb 6 career fair at UCLA:

US Department of Justice - Environmental Enforcement (Washington DC

Alright - this was my best interview. This is the Enforcement section of the Environmental and Natural Resources Division. It is a litigation unit that brings enforcement actions against private and public entities. Out of the 15 or so law students they bring on every summer most are 2Ls. I was asked to explain why as I 1L I should be considered. I explained that I have a lot more work experience and professionalism than most 2Ls let alone 1Ls. I also have a strong knowledge of environmental issues (mostly from stuff I've learned from my mother who writes about global warming for the LA Times). He asked me why environmental law? I answered that I think renewable energy is the next major technological breakthrough that will change the way we live, like the internet and automobiles. I also discussed the potential for setting up a national feed in tariff and the issues surrounding environmental justice that the Obama administration is prioritizing. Finally he asked me if I was more interested in litigation or policy. I answered that I am not a policy wonk and I think I will be a good litigator because of my presence and facility with language (I am trilingual, and a good writer). I will know in two weeks if I am offered the internship.

US Department of Labor (Los Angeles)

These guys were interested in my because of my experience working in the investment management industry. The lawyers in this office are not practicing lawyers, but rather investigators that investigate violations of ERISA. Then they hand the cases over to the trial lawyers in San Fran. This is a paid position.

Children's Law Center (Monterey Park)

Didn't really feel that special. They had 4 rooms going and must have interviewed over 100 people. They asked a couple of hypos that I was prepared for because I had been briefed ahead of time.

That's awesome! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Just got call back from Labor.

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 pm

haylie wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:
haylie wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:Hi all, I got accepted today but there was no info about scholarships or other dollars--for those of you who have been accepted, does scholarship info come with the acceptance packet or later on?

Thanks!

what were your numbers meddling? I'm still waiting. 156/2.5

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/meddlingkid

Good luck!

wow, congrats on all the great schools. I'm hoping for Seattle University (applied as part time), it's a stretch, but I like to be hopeful.

Are you thinking of attending Hastings?

Yes, I'm leaning heavily towards Hastings even though I don't think they'll give me any money. I love SF alot--I'm from WA originally so I don't really want to stay and go to Seattle U even though it's a great school. I withdrew from Southwestern today so hopefully that will free up a seat for one you guys!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Danteshek wrote:Just got call back from Labor.

Sweet! And paid!!

Congrats on making it through the 1st phase and good luck.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Danteshek wrote:Just got call back from Labor.

Congratulation! It's nice to read the process you're going through. Keep us updated!

llama joon

Postby llama joon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:14 pm

So I was recently admitted to SW and got the Wildman/Shumacher scholarship notice in the mail along with the acceptance package....it says to schedule an interview no later than 2/15. I have 2 questions:

1. I am still waiting to hear from Loyola before I make my decision, should I go ahead and schedule an interview with SW for the scholarship before I get anything in the mail from Loyola?
2. If anyone has gone through this interview process, how should I prepare for it? (What kind of questions are they going to ask)

My numbers are 158/ 3.5.

Any help would be appreciated!

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Still haven't received anything, decision was rendered 1/20. Think its time to call or email their admissions office?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 pm

llama joon wrote:So I was recently admitted to SW and got the Wildman/Shumacher scholarship notice in the mail along with the acceptance package....it says to schedule an interview no later than 2/15. I have 2 questions:

1. I am still waiting to hear from Loyola before I make my decision, should I go ahead and schedule an interview with SW for the scholarship before I get anything in the mail from Loyola?
2. If anyone has gone through this interview process, how should I prepare for it? (What kind of questions are they going to ask)

My numbers are 158/ 3.5.

You should schedule the interview with Southwestern asap, regardless of the decision from Loyola. If you get money from Southwestern that should not be a difficult decision for you. I know people at least one person who turned down USC for Southwestern because of money, and I also know plenty of people here who turned down significantly higher ranked schools because they wanted to be in Los Angeles.

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm also interviewing for the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarship today and I'm getting a campus tour. I'm excited!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:06 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:I'm also interviewing for the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarship today and I'm getting a campus tour. I'm excited!

Want to have lunch?

yune

Postby yune » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:14 pm

llama joon wrote:So I was recently admitted to SW and got the Wildman/Shumacher scholarship notice in the mail along with the acceptance package....it says to schedule an interview no later than 2/15. I have 2 questions:

My numbers are 158/ 3.5.

Any help on the interview process would be appreciated :)
Regarding the deadline: does it mean that I have to call to schedule a date by 2/15 or I have to interview by 2/15 (the later case doesn't leave much time left and I cannot take tomorrow or Friday off from work). Does anyone know the answer to this? I will call later today, but thought I would ask first. Thanks for the help!

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:I'm also interviewing for the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarship today and I'm getting a campus tour. I'm excited!

Want to have lunch?

I'd love to, but I have to head on back to work right after :x I just got into Loyola today so it's gonna come down to $ for me, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

db004

Postby db004 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 pm

My file has been complete and in review at Southwestern since 11/25. Is it safe to assume I've been waitlisted even though I haven't been officially told that? I'd like to think if they were severely turned off by something in my app they would have rejected me by now.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 pm

yune wrote:

My numbers are 158/ 3.5.

Any help on the interview process would be appreciated :)
Regarding the deadline: does it mean that I have to call to schedule a date by 2/15 or I have to interview by 2/15 (the later case doesn't leave much time left and I cannot take tomorrow or Friday off from work). Does anyone know the answer to this? I will call later today, but thought I would ask first. Thanks for the help!

I think it just means that you have to call by 2/15. When I called, they gave me dates available for the interview and you can schedule them for the time that you are available. It was very flexible, and you can schedule it at 6 pm if you would like. I think the latest time was 7 pm.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:01 pm

I applied today with a 157/2.9 3 years out of school. You think I have a good shot at southwestern? I know this is not the proper forum to ask, but I figure there are more people viewing this thread than others related to sw. Thanks!

chango

Postby chango » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:18 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I applied today with a 157/2.9 3 years out of school. You think I have a good shot at southwestern? I know this is not the proper forum to ask, but I figure there are more people viewing this thread than others related to sw. Thanks!

Odds are about 1 in 3. If you are an URM, it jumps to 3 in 4.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”