Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek

Re: Southwestern

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:35 pm

Headaches? You should probably keep that to yourself at law school. Most people will think you are a fraud.

Business casual.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Dante, what was the dress code last year for orientation?

And does anyone else have a medical marijuana card? lol

I suffer from "headaches" and not being able to sleep some nites like most people which is the actual problem and marijuana is the solution.

You now suffer from severe migraines and periodic bouts of insomnia.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm

That's not going to cut it either. The only way to make it legitimate is to have some terminal illness or extreme pain that cannot be treated with other medications. Migraines are treatable. So is insomnia.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Danteshek wrote:That's not going to cut it either. The only way to make it legitimate is to have some terminal illness or extreme pain that cannot be treated with other medications. Migraines are treatable. So is insomnia.

Isn't treatment with medicinal marijuana an alternative to traditional means of medication?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Not really. If there are other effective methods of obtaining relief without pumping your body full of carcinogens, no ethical doctor will prescribe marijuana. Patients routinely lie to get marijuana. Claiming "headaches" and "insomnia" is a classic maneuver for potheads.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Danteshek wrote:Not really. If there are other effective methods of obtaining relief without pumping your body full of carcinogens, no ethical doctor will prescribe marijuana. Patients routinely lie to get marijuana. Claiming "headaches" and "insomnia" is a classic maneuver for potheads.

+1 and quoted for the comedy in your post!

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 pm

It will be legal here soon anyways and correct: all you must say is you have a headache and you got it. That is what everyone does.

chango

Postby chango » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 pm

Danteshek wrote:Not really. If there are other effective methods of obtaining relief without pumping your body full of carcinogens, no ethical doctor will prescribe marijuana. Patients routinely lie to get marijuana. Claiming "headaches" and "insomnia" is a classic maneuver for potheads.

I am not particularly pro-medical marijuana, but "without pumping your body full of carcinogens" made me lol considering what's in most pharmaceuticals. Also, the over-prescribing of medication is hardly limited to marijuana.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Take a look at the ingredients of Tylenol and compare with marijuana smoke. Of course, Tylenol doesn't make you high, stupid, and unmotivated. And it doesn't impede sexual function.

chango

Postby chango » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Danteshek wrote:Take a look at the ingredients of Tylenol and compare with marijuana smoke. Of course, Tylenol doesn't make you high, stupid, and unmotivated. And it doesn't impede sexual function.

--ImageRemoved--

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 am

bigmnstyle wrote:It will be legal here soon anyways and correct: all you must say is you have a headache and you got it. That is what everyone does.

We'll know in November. However, just because something is legal, does not mean it won't be regulated like alcohol or worse. Simply put, you might not be able to inhale at work, school, or public places that do not accommodate marijuana smoking. I'm all for legalization, btw. I'd take the increased tax dollars, jobs, and profits from marijuana related crimes over a crappy economy any day.

Headaches and insomnia are popular reasons. Treatment for back spams, loss of appetite, emotional control, and joint pain are other medical reasons that people use.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:41 am

Ya, I completely understand where you guys are coming from. I was just wondering if the Bar Committee could get ahold of the records and if they would look down upon them. I am not a pothead whatsoever but my friend came and visited me and I decided (hey what the hell--I will get a card, we will have a good time, and if I need it in the future to put myself to sleep then we are good) :) Just was curious to whether people think the Bar would frown upon it. I was assuming that since it is legal with an illness diagnosed by a sketchy doctor that you couldn't get in trouble for doing it.

haylie

Postby haylie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Waitlisted candidate for Southwestern... and today, via status checker, I was informed that "final decision has been mailed". Ah, since most students who got into Southwestern off the waitlist received phone calls, it's safe to assume I've been rejected =(

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:20 pm

haylie wrote:Waitlisted candidate for Southwestern... and today, via status checker, I was informed that "final decision has been mailed". Ah, since most students who got into Southwestern off the waitlist received phone calls, it's safe to assume I've been rejected =(

I'm still waiting according to the status checker, lol. If they offer a seat a few days before classes begin, I'll probably take it, ha, ha, ha.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:44 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
haylie wrote:Waitlisted candidate for Southwestern... and today, via status checker, I was informed that "final decision has been mailed". Ah, since most students who got into Southwestern off the waitlist received phone calls, it's safe to assume I've been rejected =(

I'm still waiting according to the status checker, lol. If they offer a seat a few days before classes begin, I'll probably take it, ha, ha, ha.

Im thinking they haven't got around to sending me my letter of rejection. Actually, they probably won't give me the dignity of such a letter lol. They will shot me an e-mail with the subject: REJECTED BIT*** and nothing in the body of the e-mail.

JohnnyBeagle

Postby JohnnyBeagle » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 am

yay orientation tomorrow

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 am

orientations tomorrow? my status is still "File Complete and In Review" as of 2/26! Lame how this school has handled my application.

linkbruin

Postby linkbruin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:18 am

Norwood wrote:orientations tomorrow? my status is still "File Complete and In Review" as of 2/26! Lame how this school has handled my application.

I'm gonna go with they lost it. I'd really call and at the very least demand your money back.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:41 am

linkbruin wrote:
I'm gonna go with they lost it. I'd really call and at the very least demand your money back.

I've been calling once and sometimes twice a week for the past 2 months. Getting the same answer, "oh that is an unusually long time for review... the application is with someone and we hope to have a decision for you within the next week or two." My last call was on Thursday and they said I should hear from them within 3 business days. Fun. At this point I doubt I'm even going to receive the same level of consideration that I would've received if my app were truly reviewed in the winter since space is so limited, if not non-existent, at this point.

Asking for my money back hasn't occurred to me... not a bad idea : )

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:10 am

Norwood wrote:
linkbruin wrote:

I've been calling once and sometimes twice a week for the past 2 months. Getting the same answer, "oh that is an unusually long time for review... the application is with someone and we hope to have a decision for you within the next week or two." My last call was on Thursday and they said I should hear from them within 3 business days. Fun. At this point I doubt I'm even going to receive the same level of consideration that I would've received if my app were truly reviewed in the winter since space is so limited, if not non-existent, at this point.

Asking for my money back hasn't occurred to me... not a bad idea : )

I might try calling to see what happens. I haven't called or emailed them since applying and sending supporting documents.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Alright. Just got off the phone with Admissions and they told me that I am still on the wait-list. They said it is still active, and will remain active all the way to the first day of classes which is next week on Monday.

I'm assuming that if someone does not show up to orientation and it is a day before classes begin, then I might get a call.

So funny. But something like this, happening to me, is not that far-fetched.

Riding it out! After all, I live a few minutes away with traffic.

JohnnyBeagle

Postby JohnnyBeagle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:07 am

there was one dude missing in my orientation group, maybe you can get his spot

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:07 am

How was orientation? Anyone?

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:08 am

JohnnyBeagle wrote:there was one dude missing in my orientation group, maybe you can get his spot

I'll keep my hopes up! Thanks.

Temka

Postby Temka » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:How was orientation? Anyone?

Kind of pointless, but fun. Met a lot of cool people and got a lot of questions about law school answered by current students.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”