Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek

Re: Southwestern

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 am

Salzburg2013 wrote:Random Question: Can someone give me feedback on the best school supplies to buy to start off? Will I even take notes in class or are classes more for discussion and not true lecture? Anyhow looking for tips and tricks in terms of what is the best way to capture and keep track of information ..thanks!

Microsoft OneNote. It should be on your computer already if you have Office. Note-taking during class is essential.

misled_drummer

Postby misled_drummer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Can't use OneNote and most of the services from SW on a mac.

SW needs to show some support for us Mac owners.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:22 pm

misled_drummer wrote:Can't use OneNote and most of the services from SW on a mac.

You need to stop being a diaper baby and switch over to PC. You can get a Sony Vaio from Fry's for $650. It will make your life much easier. If you want to take exams on your mac, you will have to partition your hard drive, and that will substantially slow your computer down.

misled_drummer

Postby misled_drummer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Danteshek wrote:
misled_drummer wrote:Can't use OneNote and most of the services from SW on a mac.

You need to stop being a diaper baby and switch over to PC. You can get a Sony Vaio from Fry's for $650. It will make your life much easier. If you want to take exams on your mac, you will have to partition your hard drive, and that will substantially slow your computer down.

I made the switch to Mac about a year ago, but if you have $650 to donate toward a laptop (preferably not a Vaio) then I'll gladly stop being a "diaper baby".

My Mac is already partitioned with XP and running fine. I wasn't complaining, just making a statement.

Soul Minded

Postby Soul Minded » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:15 am

Is the idea behind taking notes on a laptop just that you can paste them easier into outline form? Personally I got through college just fine writing my notes out and recording important lectures. I feel like a computer is distracting and takes away from my concentration on the lecturer. Am I missing something here, is there a benefit that I am not taking into account?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:45 am

Soul Minded wrote:Is the idea behind taking notes on a laptop just that you can paste them easier into outline form? Personally I got through college just fine writing my notes out and recording important lectures. I feel like a computer is distracting and takes away from my concentration on the lecturer. Am I missing something here, is there a benefit that I am not taking into account?

One Note makes your work easily searchable

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:58 am

I don't personally think there is a comparison between a mac and a pc when it comes to anything but esp note taking. It is extremely easy on a mac. Just use word and go to notebook view. And command f will get you every file you need on your computer via finder. I have heard good things about the one note but for those that have a mac (much better computer than a pc) buying even a 650 dollar computer would be a waste of money imo. Do what you got to do though!

chango

Postby chango » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:13 pm

1L text books

What's the conventional wisdom, especially from current SWL students? I've so far rented as many REQUIRED books as I can (from chegg.com) and then bought the rest outright: grand total of $320, not including the professor printed material. Am I missing something? That seems ridiculously low. And yeah, they're all the current editions.

Am I silly to take a wait and see approach on the RECOMMENDED book list?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Yeah don't worry too much about the recommended books. Ask around to see what the best supplements are to complement your case books.

The only advice I give to everyone is to get and use Learning Criminal Law As Advocacy Argument, by John Delaney.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:54 am

chango wrote:1L text books

What's the conventional wisdom, especially from current SWL students? I've so far rented as many REQUIRED books as I can (from chegg.com) and then bought the rest outright: grand total of $320, not including the professor printed material. Am I missing something? That seems ridiculously low. And yeah, they're all the current editions.

Am I silly to take a wait and see approach on the RECOMMENDED book list?

320 sounds reasonable. i got all my books used off of amazon and it came out to be 250ish.

Soul Minded

Postby Soul Minded » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:39 pm

who or how do I find out what study guides and horn books to buy, is that something our teachers tell us?

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:22 pm

teachers sometimes have recommended sources to complement their casebooks. However, many of them don't and won't even recommend using secondary sources.

Use the supplements if you find them helpful as you study and use them strictly as complements and not substitutes to your casebooks. As for which ones, well ask 2L or 3L and see which ones they recommend. Before buying them I'd suggest you sit down with a copy from the library reserve and see how it fits into your studying. Some people get As by religiously relying on these study aids and there's some people who get As without ever touching anything besides their casebook...it really just all depends on your study method.

trick1

Postby trick1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:54 am

how's the waitlist looking?
is it safe to assume that waitlist activity is pretty much dead since orientation is next week? -.-

linkbruin

Postby linkbruin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:59 am

trick1 wrote:how's the waitlist looking?
is it safe to assume that waitlist activity is pretty much dead since orientation is next week? -.-

I wouldn't give up all hope, but your last shot is someone not showing up to orientation. I'd say it's pretty grim at this point with a small sliver of a chance.

Temka

Postby Temka » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:I don't personally think there is a comparison between a mac and a pc when it comes to anything but esp note taking. It is extremely easy on a mac. Just use word and go to notebook view. And command f will get you every file you need on your computer via finder. I have heard good things about the one note but for those that have a mac (much better computer than a pc) buying even a 650 dollar computer would be a waste of money imo. Do what you got to do though!

I switched from PC about 6 months ago knowing I would be attending law school. I had one note on my PC and did not like it all that much, maybe I just wasn't used to it. Using Notebook view on Word for Macs so far has proven to be the best for me. If one does really feel the need for a PC, there are netbooks available for $200 nowadays.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 pm

I just got my medical marijuana card. Since I am now legal, could this pose any problems with taking the bar exam? I am assuming no but just curious.

linkbruin

Postby linkbruin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:17 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:I just got my medical marijuana card. Since I am now legal, could this pose any problems with taking the bar exam? I am assuming no but just curious.

Just don't show up high to the bar exam or your C&F examination.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:06 pm

:)

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:07 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:I just got my medical marijuana card. Since I am now legal, could this pose any problems with taking the bar exam? I am assuming no but just curious.

What disease are you suffering from?

linkbruin

Postby linkbruin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Danteshek wrote:

What disease are you suffering from?

Needformarijuana-itis. Seems to affect most males in their 20s in California.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:13 pm

This why we need to elect STEVE COOLEY.

chango

Postby chango » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Temka wrote:
chango wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:When is orientation week?

Orientation August 12th and 13th. LAWS classes start the following week. Full class schedule begins on the 23rd.

Does anyone if there is a dress code for those dinners that we have during orientation week?

Anyone have an answer for this? I suppose in the absence of guidance the default would be "business casual" although considering how hot it will be during the day and how unlikely it is I'll have time to change before dinner, I'm pulling for "socal casual."

linkbruin

Postby linkbruin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 pm

chango wrote:
Temka wrote:
chango wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:When is orientation week?

Orientation August 12th and 13th. LAWS classes start the following week. Full class schedule begins on the 23rd.

Does anyone if there is a dress code for those dinners that we have during orientation week?

Anyone have an answer for this? I suppose in the absence of guidance the default would be "business casual" although considering how hot it will be during the day and how unlikely it is I'll have time to change before dinner, I'm pulling for "socal casual."

Yeah I really don't know about this. I was thinking jeans and nice shirt for the whole day, but I really don't know and have not found any info about it.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Dante, what was the dress code last year for orientation?

And does anyone else have a medical marijuana card? lol

I suffer from "headaches" and not being able to sleep some nites like most people which is the actual problem and marijuana is the solution.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:13 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Dante, what was the dress code last year for orientation?

And does anyone else have a medical marijuana card? lol

I suffer from "headaches" and not being able to sleep some nites like most people which is the actual problem and marijuana is the solution.

The card makes it legal for you to smoke marijuana. I've asked about this, too. I haven't received my card, but it doesn't look like it will pose any problems. Secondly, marijuana is becoming a bit more accepted little by little, and as a law student, I doubt there is anything major to worry about.

I'm not really sweating the medicinal marijuana card. Just don't get high in school, and you should be good. Get high on Wilshire like everybody else.

Think of it like this: The marijuana is your prescribed medicine. Carry the card at all times, or carry it when you carry an ounce or less of "The Kush".

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”