Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MEGATRON

Re: Southwestern

Postby MEGATRON » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:23 pm

Has anyone been taken off of the waitlist at Southwestern this week? HOPE.... Anyone?

justright157

Postby justright157 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm

i haven't heard anything as of yet. Southwestern is my last hope too

MEGATRON wrote:Has anyone been taken off of the waitlist at Southwestern this week? HOPE.... Anyone?

MEGATRON

Postby MEGATRON » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:10 pm

What are your numbers if you don't mind my asking? I have a high GPA (3.89) but a low LSAT (147)

SmellyVeinyMonster

Postby SmellyVeinyMonster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:44 pm

SW has yet to call me off their waiting list. I would be extremely happy if they decide to grant me a spot.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 pm

MEGATRON wrote:What are your numbers if you don't mind my asking? I have a high GPA (3.89) but a low LSAT (147)

Okay... What did you do to prepare for the LSAT?

Are you dyslexic (serious question)?
Last edited by Danteshek on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmellyVeinyMonster

Postby SmellyVeinyMonster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 pm

MEGATRON wrote:What are your numbers if you don't mind my asking? I have a high GPA (3.89) but a low LSAT (147)

147? SW will not be giving you a call off the wait list. Sorry to break it to you. My LSAT is higher and they haven't called me.

linkbruin

Postby linkbruin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:50 pm

157 and 3.17. Still on the waitlist. Can't do much at this point other than hope someone withdraws.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:02 am

linkbruin wrote:157 and 3.17. Still on the waitlist. Can't do much at this point other than hope someone withdraws.

It must be more competitive this year. I got in last year with virtually identical numbers (.1 GPA point lower). I think you still have a decent chance of being called.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:37 am

Did you take the lsat cold (147)? you may want to put in some more work and raise it. your gpa is great which makes me wonder how you could only get a 147. Unless you majored in something extremely easy lol

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:21 am

still waiting on an INITIAL decision from SW. Complete and in review 2/26. get in line guys.

justright157

Postby justright157 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 am

Norwood....what are it numbers if u don't mind me asking

Norwood wrote:still waiting on an INITIAL decision from SW. Complete and in review 2/26. get in line guys.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 am

send an email to admissions and try to differentiate yourself from the other waitlist applicants. ESP if you have low numbers. Nothing to lose

stiltzkiin

Postby stiltzkiin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:43 pm

I can confirm that they are taking people off of the waitlist.
I received a call this Monday from Kelly at SWrn saying that there was a spot for me in traditional day. i was just about to email them saying i was withdrawing from the wait-list and that i would hopefully apply next term with a better LSAT, etc. I asked for time to consider and call back later that day, she said ok but she couldn't promise it'd still be open, which indicates that they're expecting you to move very fast on these few open spots.
Unfortunately, I couldn't accept it. it was just too late for me. i had just accepted a job and figured out my living situation for this next year, so a move to LA in the 2 weeks before orientation didn't seem to be in my best interests. If this would have gone down in mid-June, I'm sure this would have been an entirely different story.
I then asked her if turning down the open spot would have any negative effects on my potential application next year. She said that they review any previous application files from prior years and take notes on things like why you withdrew, etc, but as long as it's a legitimate reason, which she said mine was, you should receive the same consideration next cycle.
Hopefully the spot will go to someone who critically needs it right now. My numbers were far from great (3.25/154), so i think you all still have a decent chance.

SmellyVeinyMonster

Postby SmellyVeinyMonster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:48 pm

stiltzkiin wrote:I can confirm that they are taking people off of the waitlist.
I received a call this Monday from Kelly at SWrn saying that there was a spot for me in traditional day. i was just about to email them saying i was withdrawing from the wait-list and that i would hopefully apply next term with a better LSAT, etc. I asked for time to consider and call back later that day, she said ok but she couldn't promise it'd still be open, which indicates that they're expecting you to move very fast on these few open spots.
Unfortunately, I couldn't accept it. it was just too late for me. i had just accepted a job and figured out my living situation for this next year, so a move to LA in the 2 weeks before orientation didn't seem to be in my best interests. If this would have gone down in mid-June, I'm sure this would have been an entirely different story.
I then asked her if turning down the open spot would have any negative effects on my potential application next year. She said that they review any previous application files from prior years and take notes on things like why you withdrew, etc, but as long as it's a legitimate reason, which she said mine was, you should receive the same consideration next cycle.
Hopefully the spot will go to someone who critically needs it right now. My numbers were far from great (3.25/154), so i think you all still have a very decent chance.

Good numbers and you must have had a great application. I suspect they did not like my application the second time around, since I am waiting, lol. I'd take an offer if they called me on orientation week.

stiltzkiin

Postby stiltzkiin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:57 pm

SmellyVeinyMonster wrote:Good numbers and you must have had a great application. I suspect they did not like my application the second time around, since I am waiting, lol. I'd take an offer if they called me on orientation week.

I wouldn't call it a great application. although, you read enough posts around here and anyone will start to feel insecure about their application. I did, however, show interest early on after i was wait-listed in March. I wrote what I feel were 2 well-crafted LOCIs, spent a lot of time on the optional wait-list essays, and visited the campus to get my name in their books so to speak. but none of it helped me get an earlier decision.

SmellyVeinyMonster

Postby SmellyVeinyMonster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 pm

stiltzkiin wrote:
SmellyVeinyMonster wrote:Good numbers and you must have had a great application. I suspect they did not like my application the second time around, since I am waiting, lol. I'd take an offer if they called me on orientation week.

I wouldn't call it a great application. although, you read enough posts around here and anyone will start to feel insecure about their application. I did, however, show interest early on after i was wait-listed in March. I wrote what I feel were 2 well-crafted LOCIs, spent a lot of time on the optional wait-list essays, and visited the campus to get my name in their books so to speak. but none of it helped me get an earlier decision.

I wrote a somewhat decent LOCI, and poured a lot of mental effort into the optional wait list essays. I'm still waiting. I've visited twice, and still waiting, lol. If they do keep applications on file, I suspect something in both of my applications made them question my desire to attend SW. I raised my second LSAT score substantially, but sometimes, it is not always about numbers.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:41 am

When is orientation week?

linkbruin

Postby linkbruin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:44 am

lawschoolmike wrote:When is orientation week?
Last edited by linkbruin on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:17 am

Orientation August 12th and 13th. LAWS classes start the following week. Full class schedule begins on the 23rd.

Temka

Postby Temka » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:59 pm

chango wrote:

Orientation August 12th and 13th. LAWS classes start the following week. Full class schedule begins on the 23rd.

Does anyone if there is a dress code for those dinners that we have during orientation week?

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Temka wrote:
chango wrote:

Does anyone if there is a dress code for those dinners that we have during orientation week?

+1

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Can anyone confirm ISBN: 978-1-4224-0744-8 as the Cases and materials on civil procedure 5th edition by Crump (the book we need for Section A Civil Procedure?

Thanks

Salzburg2013

Postby Salzburg2013 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 am

filmbuff

Postby filmbuff » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:37 am

Got accepted to Pepperdine Law School today. No phone calls, just a congratulations email -- quite the surprise!! So, I will be withdrawing from Southwestern's traditional day program likely by Monday, once I drop off my deposit at Pepperdine and get a receipt! I wish they would give my thousand dollar deposit to Law School Mike! Will check back in, but my very best wishes to you all.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:04 am

filmbuff wrote:Got accepted to Pepperdine Law School today. No phone calls, just a congratulations email -- quite the surprise!! So, I will be withdrawing from Southwestern's traditional day program likely by Monday, once I drop off my deposit at Pepperdine and get a receipt! I wish they would give my thousand dollar deposit to Law School Mike! Will check back in, but my very best wishes to you all.

Congratulations!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”