Southwestern

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bigmnstyle

Re: Southwestern

Postby bigmnstyle » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:14 pm

ACCEPTED!~!!! CALL FROM LISA THIS EVENING, heading out to LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:47 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:ACCEPTED!~!!! CALL FROM LISA THIS EVENING, heading out to LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Congrats!

misled_drummer

Postby misled_drummer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:32 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:ACCEPTED!~!!! CALL FROM LISA THIS EVENING, heading out to LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Congrats. For what program if you don't mind me asking?

I think I will be sending Mrs. Gear an email very soon. She said to touch bases with her later this month to see if I can make the switch from the part-time program to the full-time one. I think this may be a good time since people are getting pulled off the waitlist and they should have an idea of how many spots can be filled.

Here's hoping it works out for me.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 am

Day Program

chango

Postby chango » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:32 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Any good bars downtown that people have been too?
How far is it from Southwestern to Manhattan beach in traffic and without traffic?
YeSsSsS

My favorite downtown bar is The Association. Broadway Bar is pretty cool too. Far Bar in nearby Little Tokyo is also great.

Southwestern to Manhattan beach in traffic could take over an hour. Without traffic, about 30 min.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:37 am

Just don't do this:

1. Go to SW and defend it and brag about how great a school is.
2. Continuously talk about your achievements and about how SW is going to get you where you want to be.
3. Mention in passing that you are applying to transfer schools, JUST IN CASE you didn't make LR at SW.
4. Get rejected everywhere but Loyola. Try to convince everyone without avail that giving up top 20% at SW is worth transferring for "job options."
5. Get accepted to SW LR and STILL claim that Loyola is a better idea even though every single poster with any sense or experience advises against it.
6.?????
7. Profit.

Sorry Dante, but seriously. :wink:

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:14 am

A'nold wrote:Just don't do this:

2. Continuously talk about your achievements and about how SW is going to get you where you want to be.
3. Mention in passing that you are applying to transfer schools, JUST IN CASE you didn't make LR at SW.
4. Get rejected everywhere but Loyola. Try to convince everyone without avail that giving up top 20% at SW is worth transferring for "job options."
5. Get accepted to SW LR and STILL claim that Loyola is a better idea even though every single poster with any sense or experience advises against it.
6.?????
7. Profit.

I still think Southwestern is a great school. I also think I could get where I want to get from Southwestern (federal government work). Nevertheless, I will transfer to Loyola because that is what some of the most respected lawyers in LA told me is best. Basically, I want to avoid the scenario where my resume gets thrown in the trash on the basis that I attended Southwestern (not my words btw).

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:30 am

Danteshek wrote:
A'nold wrote:Just don't do this:

6.?????
7. Profit.

I still think Southwestern is a great school. I also think I could get where I want to get from Southwestern (federal government work). Nevertheless, I will transfer to Loyola because that is what some of the most respected lawyers in LA told me is best. Basically, I want to avoid the scenario where my resume gets thrown in the trash on the basis that I attended Southwestern (not my words btw).

I totally see this, however, I don't think Loyola is the answer here. If we were talking USC or UCLA that would be lightyears apart. I really hope you make the best of it and Loyola is the best choice. However, it seems to go against reason to give up so much for an only marginally better school where 90% of the employers that would have thrown away your SW resume will still throw away your Loyola resume. Don't get me wrong, I like Loyola. It's just that I don't see how this is an upgrade given your current situation at Loyola.

Now, if you DON'T LIKE SW, that is another story. It just seems that there is no way you could like SW and just give it up for Loyola at sticker with only a write on chance at LR.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:51 am

Danteshek wrote:I still think Southwestern is a great school. I also think I could get where I want to get from Southwestern (federal government work). Nevertheless, I will transfer to Loyola because that is what some of the most respected lawyers in LA told me is best. Basically, I want to avoid the scenario where my resume gets thrown in the trash on the basis that I attended Southwestern (not my words btw).

the resume in the trash thing is true and I don't blame you for deciding to go to Loyola. However, what is bothersome is the history of you defending SW and then end up doing something that you would have advised other students from doing... transferring from SW to Loyola giving up your rank, scholly money, etc.

Personally I would've stayed at SW unless I got into a top 30. But I can see how if you truly feel that your potential has peaked at SW then any move up would be beneficial. anyways good luck in Loyola and hopefully you'll rank high enough to justify this transfer.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 pm

My hope is getting slimmer and slimmer everyday that passes. I guess I will be going to Whittier. Do you guys think I should send a message switching my primary choice from day to evening? Will this increase my chances?

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 am

Anyone know if any softball teams are formed through Southwestern? I have two friends outside of the school that want to form a team and didn't know if any teams were made through the law school. If anyone knows-- HollA!

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:47 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Anyone know if any softball teams are formed through Southwestern? I have two friends outside of the school that want to form a team and didn't know if any teams were made through the law school. If anyone knows-- HollA!

Softball sucks.

Temka

Postby Temka » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Anyone know if any softball teams are formed through Southwestern? I have two friends outside of the school that want to form a team and didn't know if any teams were made through the law school. If anyone knows-- HollA!

No clue, but I would be down to play :-)

misled_drummer

Postby misled_drummer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Has anyone purchased their books yet? I was thinking of going down to the bookstore to get them soon. Anyone seen any deals on used books?

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:02 pm

You'd b crazy to buy ur books at the bookstore.. I bought all mine on amazon. saved a ton.

blahblahblah8

Postby blahblahblah8 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Norwood wrote:You'd b crazy to buy ur books at the bookstore.. I bought all mine on amazon. saved a ton.

amazon has free 2-day shipping for students now

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 pm

I haven't gotten my schedule yet, going to register and send it all back tom but do they give you your classes pretty quick after that? Also, don't you have a choice on which type of LAWS class you take?

misled_drummer

Postby misled_drummer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:09 am

Norwood wrote:You'd b crazy to buy ur books at the bookstore.. I bought all mine on amazon. saved a ton.

Unfortunately, I am unable to find one of the books on amazon which is why I have to go to the bookstore.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:20 am

misled_drummer wrote:

Unfortunately, I am unable to find one of the books on amazon which is why I have to go to the bookstore.

You can't examine the books you buy online. They could be horribly marked up.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 am

Danteshek wrote:You can't examine the books you buy online. They could be horribly marked up.

true and this was a huge concern of mine. I can't stand studying off of a highlighted/marked up book and would really benefit from making my own marks. However, new books and even used books from the school's bookstore are beyond my budget. I just have to rely on amazon's sellers descriptions and cross my fingers. Lets just hope when a seller says "little highlighting" they mean little!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:46 pm

New to many law school bookstores..... RENTING! Check it out here:

--LinkRemoved--

If you fall in love with your book, you have the option to buy.

chango

Postby chango » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:New to many law school bookstores..... RENTING! Check it out here:

--LinkRemoved--

Also:

http://www.chegg.com/

misled_drummer

Postby misled_drummer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:New to many law school bookstores..... RENTING! Check it out here:

--LinkRemoved--

I saw that on the Southwestern website. I would not only be concerned about the amount of markup in the book, but also the amount of notetaking I would be allowed to do.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 pm

--LinkRemoved--

This is an interesting idea. Amazon still looks like the best place to get them cheap.

Still waiting on SW, lol.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:57 pm

misled_drummer wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I saw that on the Southwestern website. I would not only be concerned about the amount of markup in the book, but also the amount of notetaking I would be allowed to do.

They claim to accept it back at 50% marked up. You have to also figure in that half of the case book won't even be covered in class.

The example I have of my Property CB is $169 new vs. new rental at $77.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”