Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chango

Bronze

Re: Southwestern

Post by chango » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 am

Does anyone know if Southwestern is willing to negotiate scholarship offers? Has anyone tried it?

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:58 am

Danteshek wrote:
bigmnstyle wrote:Looks good but also not fun...
Writing this brief was probably the most fun I've ever had in my life.

I can't wait for law school! That looks like so much fun!! (and, no, I am not being sarcastic).

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Read the brief. If you can produce something of similar quality, I guarantee you will get an A in legal writing.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:32 pm

chango wrote:Does anyone know if Southwestern is willing to negotiate scholarship offers? Has anyone tried it?
+1

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:37 pm

lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:50 pm

How do Merit based scholarships work for 2 and 3L's? What is the distribution? For example, do 100% scholarships go to the top 5%, 75% scholarships to the top 15%...etc?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 pm

onthecusp wrote:How do Merit based scholarships work for 2 and 3L's? What is the distribution? For example, do 100% scholarships go to the top 5%, 75% scholarships to the top 15%...etc?
There are no hard and fast rules. Usually top students are compensated. Applications for institutional scholarships are due June 1st. You can also be compensated for being on the board of Law Review, Moot Court etc.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Do you think it's wise to ride the waitlist here knowing that you will likely be paying sticker for your first year, in hopes that you can earn possible compensation for your 2nd and 3rd years? I've gotten full rides to other tier 4's, but would MUCH rather go to Southwestern for obvious reasons. Also, I genuinely love the school. Southwestern is my top choice.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:23 pm

onthecusp wrote:Do you think it's wise to ride the waitlist here knowing that you will likely be paying sticker for your first year, in hopes that you can earn possible compensation for your 2nd and 3rd years? I've gotten full rides to other tier 4's, but would MUCH rather go to Southwestern for obvious reasons. Also, I genuinely love the school. Southwestern is my top choice.
If its your top choice then you should wait it out and pay sticker and/or hope for financial aid. For me SW is a top choice but not THE top choice and I will probably be atttending and paying sticker although I got almost a full ride to Golden Gate, a 4th tier school as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:30 pm

onthecusp wrote:Do you think it's wise to ride the waitlist here knowing that you will likely be paying sticker for your first year, in hopes that you can earn possible compensation for your 2nd and 3rd years? I've gotten full rides to other tier 4's, but would MUCH rather go to Southwestern for obvious reasons. Also, I genuinely love the school. Southwestern is my top choice.
I think you should go where you think you will be the happiest and most successful. If you want to come to Southwestern, just ride it out and see what happens. If you don't get off the waitlist, you can always transfer here for 2L.

For those who don't know, Southwestern is planning to expand the size of the campus fairly dramatically over the next few years. There will be a new apartment building for students on campus where the faculty parking lot is now. There will also be three other buildings along Wilshire that will also be used as student housing. This is scheduled to be completed within 3-5 years.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Anyone still waiting to have their scholarship interview? I just had mine today, so if you have any questions about it, PM me.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm

just got my wait list letter today... it says "at this point in the admissions process, our entering class is close to capacity."

do you think this means that they have given out a lot of acceptances right now or that they have a lot of people already committed?

rossrobert

New

Post by rossrobert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:54 pm

May I ask when you applied?

My status has been "pending LSDAS report" since 3/3. Southwestern is my first choice, however I really dont think I have a shot now. My GPA is 3.52 but my LSAT is low. I did check off on my application to be considered for all 3 programs they offer. Let's say you get accepted to their PT program, do you think you can request to be put on a waitlist for their FT program?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 am

rossrobert wrote:May I ask when you applied?

My status has been "pending LSDAS report" since 3/3. Southwestern is my first choice, however I really dont think I have a shot now. My GPA is 3.52 but my LSAT is low. I did check off on my application to be considered for all 3 programs they offer. Let's say you get accepted to their PT program, do you think you can request to be put on a waitlist for their FT program?
Is your LSAT above 155?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:26 am

I'm still in review. Been in review since early Feb., but I feel a waitlist letter coming my way.

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 am

SW is one of those schools that actually sends out unsolicited emails to people with app fee waivers. That means they want certain people to apply to bring up some of their numbers...even if they aren't technically interested, want to WL you, etc.

To me, any place that feels the need to come to you isn't exactly on the up and up maybe? Eh, what do I know...

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:43 am

jjinva wrote:SW is one of those schools that actually sends out unsolicited emails to people with app fee waivers. That means they want certain people to apply to bring up some of their numbers...even if they aren't technically interested, want to WL you, etc.

To me, any place that feels the need to come to you isn't exactly on the up and up maybe? Eh, what do I know...
I got these same emails from places like william and mary and u of minnesota, don't think it really means much

now, the schools that email you every week, send you packets, flyers, post cards, etc...

that is desperation

all i ever got from southwestern was one post card back in the fall when i registered for the LSAT, and to be honest never would've known they existed had they not sent it, so props to their marketing department, and an email after I took it saying congrats on the score

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:44 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:

Is your LSAT above 155?

my LSAT is 157. I applied mid-Feb.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46 am

jjinva wrote:SW is one of those schools that actually sends out unsolicited emails to people with app fee waivers. That means they want certain people to apply to bring up some of their numbers...even if they aren't technically interested, want to WL you, etc.

I think everyone is trying to maintain or improve their rankings. A fee waiver is a great way to make it easier for students to apply to that school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:14 am

Rossrobert- those are solid numbers for Southwestern. I applied later than you with same LSAT but much lower GPA. I would be surprised if they don't let you in.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:17 am

jjinva wrote:Eh, what do I know...
Not much, apparently!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 am

It has nothing to do with being "on the up and up." As another poster stated, plenty of "top" schools send unsolicited fee waivers, too.

The entire reason behind fee-waivers is for schools to try to jump in the US News rankings. Weak applicants receive fee waivers because it will help the school's yield, and strong applicants receive fee waivers because they will bring the school's numbers up. This theory (more or less) has been discussed by Brian Leiter, as well.

I'm a bit frustrated, though, to learn that SW is sending unsolicited fee waivers. Months ago when I first began applying, I kindly asked SW for a fee waiver (in the exact same manner I asked and received waivers from other schools) but they denied my request flat-out. I have auto-admit numbers, but not T14 numbers.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:49 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

Is your LSAT above 155?

my LSAT is 157. I applied mid-Feb.
Wow. I'm surprised. It appears you have auto-admit numbers. Nice score.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 pm

I've been in review since early Feb., but I have two schools that accepted me with $cholly$. I'm riding this out all the way til June. However, I'll be paying a commitment deposit at another school soon, lol.

I'm interested in SW because it is close to where I currently live and plan to live (K-town).

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Got the offer from the Securities and Exchange Commission. Going to DC this summer!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”