Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
misled_drummer

New

Re: Southwestern

Post by misled_drummer » Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 am

bailar4life wrote:I was told by the other school I was looking to transfer to that they couldn't take me as a part time somewhere else, because of the lack of credits, since they need 30 credits to transfer so that they can see class ranking and so on. I like Southwestern as a school, but my husbands job isn't letting him transfer that is why i wanted to transfer schools.

so now i am considering not going to law school at all, and waiting another year because my husband was told he cant transfer to cali for his job. so i am in the same boat, it put a big damper on my plans.although i haven't asked about transferring after two years in the part time program. my suggestion contact the school you are thinking of going to and asking them all the requirements and questions you have about transferring before you make your decision. that way you know what you are getting into. and nothing is a guarantee, the school might not accept you.
That sucks. Is it for sure that you aren't going to law school?

I spoke with the admissions office at Berkeley and they basically told me I wouldn't be able to transfer until my second year in the PT program, which sucks. I think Georgetown accepts PT applicants after their first year so I guess the requirements are different between law schools.

filmbuff

New

Post by filmbuff » Fri May 21, 2010 1:07 am

Dante: Wonder if my family would notice I was gone if I got a studio during the week -- great idea! Unfortunately they would, as we own a lovely horse ranch (I am an avid equestrian) with many animals in addition to my horses that I tend to daily and my young twins attend an excellent school just 10 mins. from our property, so way too many obligations and ties I am afraid. However, if it's not Pepperdine and ends up being Loyola or Sw, then we will attempt to sell this property and move to the westside asap -- horses or no horses!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri May 21, 2010 3:17 am

filmbuff wrote:Dante: Wonder if my family would notice I was gone if I got a studio during the week -- great idea! Unfortunately they would, as we own a lovely horse ranch (I am an avid equestrian) with many animals in addition to my horses that I tend to daily and my young twins attend an excellent school just 10 mins. from our property, so way too many obligations and ties I am afraid. However, if it's not Pepperdine and ends up being Loyola or Sw, then we will attempt to sell this property and move to the westside asap -- horses or no horses!
Sounds fun! Boys or girls? I vote for keeping the ranch. I bet it's a good place to be a kid!

bailar4life

New

Post by bailar4life » Fri May 21, 2010 11:51 am

things are still up in the air. I currently live in utah, so it would be back and forth between utah and cali, at least for the next two years, until i could try to transfer. but i am originally from cali, my parents own a business a few blocks down from southwestern, and my sister goes to FIDM, which means great family support. i have two little kids. a newborn and a 2yr. old. so thats a lot of time without their daddy. which in my opinion is doable, not ideal, but still scares the heck out of me.
BYU has me on their waiting list, at this point i have no clue if i will get in or not. they have such cheap tuition, i doubt many people say no.
so... go to school, or keep putting it off. im not getting any younger!
i think i will definitely make a decision in the next month. i paid the seat deposit at southwestern. My husband says do it. i haven't lost hope yet.

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 pm

That's a real difficult situation to be in but I hope it all works out.

I'll see you at Southwestern if you decide to attend!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bailar4life

New

Post by bailar4life » Fri May 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Danteshek
do you know much about the PLEASE program, any good insight you could give?

filmbuff

New

Post by filmbuff » Fri May 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Dante: Yes, it's a slice of heaven -- just got them a pony yesterday! I have twin boys (5 yrs. old) and we have a creek, cave etc. on the property, so a great place to be boys .... except for the 5 rattlesnakes I had to kill last year! If I attend SW, we will have to arrange a field trip!

Bailar4life: I just got an email this morning about PLEAS (I was accepted into the 2 yr. program at SW, then PLEAS and then the 3 year trad.) and the email discussed that they have just changed the purpose of PLEAS from one geared strictly to those with child/elder responsibilities where you finish your day at 1pm. It sounds as though they now allow those who work to also consider it for its flexible scheduling (must not be full this year!) The lady to speak to is My-Lan and her number is: 213-738-6834
I don't envy you the decision about separating from your husband. At least you have local family to help out with the babies, but still ... very tough without daddy. My hat's off to you. I could never do it!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri May 21, 2010 2:00 pm

bailar4life wrote:Danteshek
do you know much about the PLEASE program, any good insight you could give?

As of this year there are two separate "part time day" programs. Both last 4 years. PLEAS is for people with significant childcare or elder care responsibilities. Part Time Day is for those students (like actors and writers, for example) that want to take it a little slower but do not have child or elder care responsibilities. The schedules are slightly different. I believe PLEAS is structured to allow a parent to pick her kids up from school. Part Time Day has more afternoon classes.

bailar4life

New

Post by bailar4life » Fri May 21, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks Everyone for the info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Sun May 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Has anyone been picked from the wait list yet? I checked LSN and it seems like the earliest someone was picked up (2009) was in July but there were many others who did not list when they got off the wait list.

filmbuff

New

Post by filmbuff » Mon May 24, 2010 12:29 am

Lawschoolmike: Second seat deposits are due June 1st, so perhaps in the week following they will start pulling people in. Personally, I am dying for this pain and suffering to be over for you!!

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Mon May 24, 2010 1:09 pm

filmbuff wrote:Lawschoolmike: Second seat deposits are due June 1st, so perhaps in the week following they will start pulling people in. Personally, I am dying for this pain and suffering to be over for you!!

Thanks, ya it's pretty terrible waiting. On top of waiting my employer is constantly on my nuts with the threat of firing me. I got through the interview process at a retail job which will pay more but part-time only. What sucks is that i'll be working with a bunch of teenagers but I guess it's better than being yelled at everyday. I will be that 24 year old folding cloths with 16-18 year olds lol humiliation. I'm trying to get the chips to fall into place and an acceptance from southwestern will be the final piece.

I feel a bit ripped off, I signed my self into selective service to get the loans, grants, etc and now here I am after college at the same place as I was after I finished high school BUT with massive debts! Sure I progressed intellectually but I can't pay chase with "intellect points" lol. If I get into southwestern than I can say it was worth it, but as of right now I just feel ripped off.

Out of desperation I told my current employer I would work for FREE for a month before getting paid (this was during the interview)! This was the only way I got off unemployment! LOL and they say we are LAZY! For the love of God I was so desperate for work I worked for free for a month until I got paid! forget about benefits lol FORGET about 30 min LUNCH more like 15 minutes and you are working while eating! This economic collapse is a dream come true for these companies. They know we are desperate and they exploit our desperation.... And if you don't like it f*** you we can replace you in a heart beat with other desperate people aka the industrial reserve army! LOL for all the smack we talk about Marx maybe we should have listened to his warnings.

And today I had to take time off work so I can walk into an emergency room to see a doctor because I have no health insurance as of graduation. After all this sh** they want me to vote against the interest of unions? If I was in a union at least I would be given a fair wage, benefits, etc How in the fu***ing world can I ever vote for conservatives/republicans???????

Sorry for the rant I just feel like I've been pushed into a corner.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon May 24, 2010 3:14 pm

There is no way I would let an employer treat me like that. If you don't like your job, just quit and work retail for awhile. My experience in retail was quite enjoyable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewaitinggame

New

Post by thewaitinggame » Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 am

Still waiting to hear anything at all... will be sending the LOCI on monday

anyone else in the same boat???

Kinda scary with ppl getting rejected or wl with numbers a little higher than mine
2.87/160

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 am

Still waiting. LOCI sent on 5-11-2010.

stiltzkiin

New

Post by stiltzkiin » Tue May 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Does anyone think there is any significance in when someone is wait-listed?
For ex, I applied to all my schools in early January, for Southwestern i was WL'd a couple weeks after complete status; on the other hand at McGeorge/Chapman i was WL'd after nearly 4 months. Can any possible distinction be made between these responses? or am I just losing my sanity and over-analyzing from being in this purgatory?

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Ive been wait listed since Feb.
147/3.4
This experience has slowly sucked my soul away
I just sent the 2nd waitlist confirmation form, the letter that accompanied it mentioned that they would start sending decisions after June 1st

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

funemployment

New

Post by funemployment » Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm planning to attend SW in the fall and had a question about housing. I'm planning to live in Brentwood or Culver City and was wondering if anyone can comment on how the commute to SW will be? I understand that during rush hour it will be brutal but is it still feasible at other times?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 25, 2010 5:25 pm

funemployment wrote:I'm planning to attend SW in the fall and had a question about housing. I'm planning to live in Brentwood or Culver City and was wondering if anyone can comment on how the commute to SW will be? I understand that during rush hour it will be brutal but is it still feasible at other times?

Brentwood may be too far for comfort.

Culver City can be negotiable if you learn the routes and avoid the 10 freeway. SW is located near Vermont and Wilshire and this intersection is a parking lot during brunch, lunch, mid-noon, and evenings. You'd end up taking side streets which are alright depending on the time of day. I'd say live closer if possible.

Vermont, at the 10 exit is terrible. You're passing through Koreatown and the traffic is bad.

Map your location and then figure out what routes to take and then drive them to get a feel for what you are comfortable with in traffic.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 25, 2010 5:26 pm

rgucsb wrote:Ive been wait listed since Feb.
147/3.4
I just sent the 2nd waitlist confirmation form, the letter that accompanied it mentioned that they would start sending decisions after June 1st
Are you waiting for FT or PT, or both?

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 pm

both, but i prefer full time. are you also waiting?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue May 25, 2010 5:46 pm

rgucsb wrote:Ive been wait listed since Feb.
147/3.4
How did you prepare for the LSAT? Frankly I think you were lucky to be wait-listed.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 25, 2010 5:49 pm

rgucsb wrote:both, but i prefer full time. are you also waiting?

I am waiting as well. Hope is to gain entry into the FT. You are lucky they didn't ding you with those numbers. Your PS must have been noteworthy. Are you URM?

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Tue May 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Last edited by rgucsb on Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue May 25, 2010 5:59 pm

rgucsb wrote:I'm an excellent writer, spent over 2 months crafting my PS
And how long did you study for the LSAT? Do you have a learning disability?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”