Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TX_blondie

New

Re: Southwestern

Post by TX_blondie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:28 pm

jimmysmits21 wrote:Guess who got a call from Kelly at Southwestern today?!

Me! lol.

I was on the waitlist I got an offer to attend the traditional day program. My stats were and are: 159 LSAT, and somewhere between a 3.15 and a 3.29 GPA from USC.

If your stats are close to mine, I'm sure they'll be calling you soon with some good news. Keep your chins up people, the wait is almost over!!!! :D
question: did you apply for the day program? or did you apply for the part time evening program, and get offered a spot in traditional??

p.s. i'm seething with jealousy, but CONGRATS!!

jimmysmits21

New

Post by jimmysmits21 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:07 pm

I applied to the traditional day program. I considered checking the part-time program on the waitlist reply form but decided against it, thinking that if worse comes to worse I can cross that bridge in late July.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:55 am

Merits scholarships were handed out as follows:

1%: Full tuition
2-5%: $22,500
6-10%: $18,000
11-15%: $12,500
16-20%: $9,000
20-30%: $4,500

This is on top of any scholarship you already have, up until full tuition. To maintain scholarship level for 3L you must maintain that performance level.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Danteshek wrote:Merits scholarships were handed out as follows:

This is on top of any scholarship you already have, up until full tuition. To maintain scholarship level for 3L you must maintain that performance level.
This strikes me as curious. I would think they would want to award more in order to keep their top talent from transferring out.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:40 pm

chango wrote:

This strikes me as curious. I would think they would want to award more in order to keep their top talent from transferring out.

Dear Students,

We understand that you may be considering transferring to another school. You recently received (or will soon receive) a letter from Dean Garth that will encourage you to make an appointment with him, myself and others in the administration to discuss your plans. We would prefer not to see our best students leave. But we’re also concerned that in many instances transferring is not in the student’s best interest.

Along these lines, I’ve been told that some students are not aware of the significant scholarship awards they will receive next year if they remain at Southwestern. The Financial Aid Office circulated this information in April. Some students, however, have said that they did not see the email. This coming year, approximately $6.1 million dollars in Dean’s Merits Scholarship aid will be awarded to continuing students. This is an increase of 12% over last year’s scholarship pool, and represents a 115% increase over the last five years. All students ranked in the top 30% of their class will receive a scholarship.

Attached is the Financial Aid Chart showing the specific amount of money you will receive based on your class rank and the program you are enrolled in. For full-time students, scholarships will range from $4,500 to $36,750. These amounts are separate from financial aid awards and other monies earned for being on honors program boards. Second year full-time day students ranked in the top 10% of the class, for example, will receive a minimum of $18,000.

As you’re deciding whether to transfer, I hope you’ll keep financial considerations in mind.

If you should have any questions about the scholarship awards, or would like to discuss your future at Southwestern generally, just let us know – I’d be happy to meet with you.

Best, Austen Parrish

~~~~~

Austen L. Parrish
Vice Dean and Professor of Law
Co-Director, Vancouver Summer Law Program
SOUTHWESTERN LAW SCHOOL
3050 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90010-1106
213-738-5728; aparrish@swlaw.edu
SSRN Page; Faculty Webpage

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Danteshek wrote:
chango wrote:

Dear Students,

We understand that you may be considering transferring to another school. You recently received (or will soon receive) a letter from Dean Garth that will encourage you to make an appointment with him, myself and others in the administration to discuss your plans. We would prefer not to see our best students leave. But we’re also concerned that in many instances transferring is not in the student’s best interest.

Along these lines, I’ve been told that some students are not aware of the significant scholarship awards they will receive next year if they remain at Southwestern. The Financial Aid Office circulated this information in April. Some students, however, have said that they did not see the email. This coming year, approximately $6.1 million dollars in Dean’s Merits Scholarship aid will be awarded to continuing students. This is an increase of 12% over last year’s scholarship pool, and represents a 115% increase over the last five years. All students ranked in the top 30% of their class will receive a scholarship.

Attached is the Financial Aid Chart showing the specific amount of money you will receive based on your class rank and the program you are enrolled in. For full-time students, scholarships will range from $4,500 to $36,750. These amounts are separate from financial aid awards and other monies earned for being on honors program boards. Second year full-time day students ranked in the top 10% of the class, for example, will receive a minimum of $18,000.

As you’re deciding whether to transfer, I hope you’ll keep financial considerations in mind.

If you should have any questions about the scholarship awards, or would like to discuss your future at Southwestern generally, just let us know – I’d be happy to meet with you.

Best, Austen Parrish

~~~~~

Austen L. Parrish
Vice Dean and Professor of Law
Co-Director, Vancouver Summer Law Program
SOUTHWESTERN LAW SCHOOL
3050 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90010-1106
213-738-5728; aparrish@swlaw.edu
SSRN Page; Faculty Webpage

Interesting.

This leads me to believe there may be room for negotiation:

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:48 am

I doubt it. I know people who have tried. I've found Southwestern to be a school generally concerned with issues of fairness.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:42 am

Danteshek wrote:I doubt it. I know people who have tried. I've found Southwestern to be a school generally concerned with issues of fairness.
A school that trains people to negotiate for a living thinks that negotiation would be unfair?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:41 pm

chango wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I doubt it. I know people who have tried. I've found Southwestern to be a school generally concerned with issues of fairness.
A school that trains people to negotiate for a living thinks that negotiation would be unfair?
I have no interest in arguing with you on this point. Yes, it would be unfair to award someone more merit aid than his/her class rank would indicate. However, if that person applied for a specific institutional scholarship, that would be a way to get more money (there are moneys set aside for specific purposes, such as to help mothers with children who are going to school part time, etc.). Also, students entering their 3L year get additional funds if they are on a honors program executive board.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Just called the admissions office about my app which as been "complete and in review" since 2/26. They said they'll have a decision for me in a week or two. I find it quite odd that they've began re-reviewing waitlistees and offering em seats before even making an initial decision on my application which has been complete since February!

Oakley84

New

Post by Oakley84 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Norwood wrote:Just called the admissions office about my app which as been "complete and in review" since 2/26. They said they'll have a decision for me in a week or two. I find it quite odd that they've began re-reviewing waitlistees and offering em seats before even making an initial decision on my application which has been complete since February!
They are doing the same exact thing to me. It has been in review since march 1 and they kept telling me 8-10 weeks. It has been way longer than that. And I called a few weeks ago, they said a decision should be made this week. But that was a while ago. Strange.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:00 pm

I am on waitlist and if I can find a job around the area I am going to take it but you guys think it is worth it to go to Southwestern 39 k a year with no scholarship money or no help from parents. That is a hell of a lot of student loans.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:56 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:I am on waitlist and if I can find a job around the area I am going to take it but you guys think it is worth it to go to Southwestern 39 k a year with no scholarship money or no help from parents. That is a hell of a lot of student loans.
Up to you. Plenty of people do it. Do you want to be a lawyer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Ya, I do want to be a lawyer and I really want to go to law school as well because I am fascinated with the law and legal system. I want to know everything about the law...I am more excited about law school than what comes after... is that weird hahaha. I heard it is a painful three years but I get excited thinking about it. Anyways, I just feel like taking out like 120 k in student loans for school and maybe another 30 for living expenses may put a hamper on what I may want to do later in law. I am not set on which type of law I want to do but understand that taking out this many loans may not let me do certain law jobs that pay less such as public interest ect ect.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:26 pm

If your plan is to do public interest (non-profit) then your loans can be forgiven if you do it for 10 years through the federal government's IBR program.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:23 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Ya, I do want to be a lawyer and I really want to go to law school as well because I am fascinated with the law and legal system. I want to know everything about the law...I am more excited about law school than what comes after... is that weird hahaha. I heard it is a painful three years but I get excited thinking about it. Anyways, I just feel like taking out like 120 k in student loans for school and maybe another 30 for living expenses may put a hamper on what I may want to do later in law. I am not set on which type of law I want to do but understand that taking out this many loans may not let me do certain law jobs that pay less such as public interest ect ect.
It sounds to me like you should take the plunge. Just try to keep living expenses low. Treat law school like a job, and work as hard as you can. If you get good grades you may be able to diminish the cost somewhat through merit scholarships.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:30 am

bigmnstyle wrote:I am on waitlist and if I can find a job around the area I am going to take it but you guys think it is worth it to go to Southwestern 39 k a year with no scholarship money or no help from parents. That is a hell of a lot of student loans.
I say yes, but I may be biased because I am also going at 39k a year alone with no help besides loans

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:02 am

Well I found a place to live... splitting it with girlfriend so it will be 600. I did know about the 10 year forgiveness program. I still am a little reluctant just about taking on the huge amount of debt to a possible low paying public interest job. I have a big interest in entertainment law which I know is pretty big at Southwestern. I really liked the school and the admissions committee so it is the school I want to go to since UCLA won't take me :( haha. Place I got is on the outskirts of West Hollywood and was actually rather nice with a 1200 per month rent. Anyways, ya I was thinking about trying to find a job in finance (my undergrad) just for a year or two then re applying but the job searching is going terrible so I may go in full force. Don't have much time to decide. Is Southwestern pretty well thought of around the LA area. I have heard it has a good reputation but obviously schools like UCLA and USC probably dominate the area. Thanks guys

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:06 am

Also*** forgot to mention. I am in LA right now and think it is hilarious what those motorcycles do around here. They just cruise through the middle of everyone right up to the front. This is legal??? hahahahha. Definitely selling my car and downgrading to a motorcycle. That will put a couple grand in my account as well as spike up the gas mileage.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:09 am

Sorry one last thing Dante... How are the computers at Southwestern? Macs all good or do you recommend a switch back to the old PC? Sry for the multiple posts.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:19 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Well I found a place to live... splitting it with girlfriend so it will be 600. I did know about the 10 year forgiveness program. I still am a little reluctant just about taking on the huge amount of debt to a possible low paying public interest job. I have a big interest in entertainment law which I know is pretty big at Southwestern. I really liked the school and the admissions committee so it is the school I want to go to since UCLA won't take me :( haha. Place I got is on the outskirts of West Hollywood and was actually rather nice with a 1200 per month rent. Anyways, ya I was thinking about trying to find a job in finance (my undergrad) just for a year or two then re applying but the job searching is going terrible so I may go in full force. Don't have much time to decide. Is Southwestern pretty well thought of around the LA area. I have heard it has a good reputation but obviously schools like UCLA and USC probably dominate the area. Thanks guys
Splitting rent with girlfriend + moving to a new city+ straight out of undergrad+law school+ huge debt = __________

No, nevermind. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:24 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Sorry one last thing Dante... How are the computers at Southwestern? Macs all good or do you recommend a switch back to the old PC? Sry for the multiple posts.
You'll be better off with a PC. They are cheaper than macs and work better with the exam taking software.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:25 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Well I found a place to live... splitting it with girlfriend so it will be 600. I did know about the 10 year forgiveness program. I still am a little reluctant just about taking on the huge amount of debt to a possible low paying public interest job. I have a big interest in entertainment law which I know is pretty big at Southwestern. I really liked the school and the admissions committee so it is the school I want to go to since UCLA won't take me :( haha. Place I got is on the outskirts of West Hollywood and was actually rather nice with a 1200 per month rent. Anyways, ya I was thinking about trying to find a job in finance (my undergrad) just for a year or two then re applying but the job searching is going terrible so I may go in full force. Don't have much time to decide. Is Southwestern pretty well thought of around the LA area. I have heard it has a good reputation but obviously schools like UCLA and USC probably dominate the area. Thanks guys
Moving in with your girlfriend for financial reasons is a terrible idea.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:50 am

For financial reasons? I never said that. I have been with her for 5 and a half years and you could think of it as more my wife than my girlfriend. I will be engaged to her soon. I am not worried about the girlfriend part of it at all but appreciate the other advice. Do you think there is any difference in what school you go to when it comes to public interest law. For example, Is Southwestern a much better option than Whittier if we are speaking in terms of public interest law?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:07 am

bigmnstyle wrote:For financial reasons? I never said that. I have been with her for 5 and a half years and you could think of it as more my wife than my girlfriend. I will be engaged to her soon. I am not worried about the girlfriend part of it at all but appreciate the other advice. Do you think there is any difference in what school you go to when it comes to public interest law. For example, Is Southwestern a much better option than Whittier if we are speaking in terms of public interest law?
Southwestern is within walking distance of many of the largest public interest law employers in Los Angeles. Whittier is not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”