Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Temka

Bronze

Southwestern

Post by Temka » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:58 pm

I know a lot of people on this forum don't pay much attention to schools like Southwestern, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on decisions? Has anyone been rejected, accepted, or wait-listed? If so when did you submit?

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Southwestern

Post by Danteshek » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Temka wrote:I know a lot of people on this forum don't pay much attention to schools like Southwestern, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on decisions? Has anyone been rejected, accepted, or wait-listed? If so when did you submit?

I can answer any questions you have about Southwestern. I'm a 1L there.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:17 pm

I went officially complete and under review a few days ago, although I submitted in the beginning of the month. When can I expect to get a decision back from them?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Temka wrote:I went officially complete and under review a few days ago, although I submitted in the beginning of the month. When can I expect to get a decision back from them?
I have no idea. But if I had to guess around 60 days. I applied in March 09 (took February LSAT) and heard in May.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Temka wrote:I went officially complete and under review a few days ago, although I submitted in the beginning of the month. When can I expect to get a decision back from them?
I have no idea. But if I had to guess around 60 days. I applied in March 09 (took February LSAT) and heard in May.
Depends on numbers - I applied I think late May or June, or maybe it was April - in any case, I had the accept package in about a week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 pm

ruleser wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Depends on numbers - I applied I think late May or June, or maybe it was April - in any case, I had the accept package in about a week.
My numbers are 3.3 155, immigrant, good softs

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:32 pm

Temka wrote:
ruleser wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
My numbers are 3.3 155, immigrant, good softs
I don't know their numbers so well, but the 3.3 will carry well I think, and 155 is I think in their range. You should be good. (My LSAT was 168 when I applied)

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 pm

haha well that is why got in so quickly!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:51 pm

I've met a few people with really high LSAT scores (169 and 172) who go to SW. Both had GPAs under 2.5. The guy with 169 was waitlisted until a few days before orientation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Status says decision mailed, and it shows two $500 deposits due. I hope I am in!

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Decision mailed today, but no change in deposit. Maybe a rejection? =(

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:51 pm

...wait now there is nothing on my status for fees

hockeylawyer

New

Re: Southwestern....anyone currently going to Southwestern

Post by hockeylawyer » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:02 pm

How are the students that go there? Are u impressed with the quality of professors and setting?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Southwestern....anyone currently going to Southwestern

Post by Danteshek » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:19 pm

hockeylawyer wrote:How are the students that go there? Are u impressed with the quality of professors and setting?
1) Setting can't be beat. We have probably the best facilities of any law school in Southern Cal. Best library. Great central location near public transportation.

2) I've been very impressed with all my professors so far. I did not expect the professors to be this good when I started. Three of my four substantive professors (Hart for contracts, [homophobic language redacted] for property and Parrish for Civ Pro), are universally liked by the students. There are quite a few really young, dynamic professors at SW. One example is Caleb Mason, who four months ago left his Assistant US attorney job to teach Criminal Procedure and Evidence at Southwestern. [homophobic language redacted] and Parrish (who is also the vice dean) are both in their early to mid thirties I believe.

3) I've made a lot of friends at SW among the students. The SBA is really active throws a lot of bar reviews. The social aspect at SW has been great.

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:01 pm

I received my acceptance on Saturday plus an interview for possible scholarship. Is this typical of SW?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I haven't heard of anything like that. If you have great numbers it's possible you are being considered for a major scholarship (Wildman or Schumacher)

http://www.swlaw.edu/studentservices/fi ... ts/special

Or, if you are a minority with good (not great) numbers, it's possible you are being considered for a lesser scholarship (probably half tuition)

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Danteshek wrote:I haven't heard of anything like that. If you have great numbers it's possible you are being considered for a major scholarship (Wildman or Schumacher)

Or, if you are a minority with good (not great) numbers, it's possible you are being considered for a lesser scholarship (probably half tuition)
The letter asked me to schedule an interview for a Wildman/Schumacher scholarship. Did you go through the same process when you applied last year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:05 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I haven't heard of anything like that. If you have great numbers it's possible you are being considered for a major scholarship (Wildman or Schumacher)

The letter asked me to schedule an interview for a Wildman/Schumacher scholarship. Did you go through the same process when you applied last year?
I was not considered for those scholarships. I had an interview, but only for SCALE (I got in but later decided to do the day program instead). Congratulations :). Getting a Wildman/Schumacher is a big deal.

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks for the info! :D I will do more research on Southwestern and see if it'll be a good fit for me. I am planning to go into public interest so having any scholarship would be especially helpful.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 pm

littlepiggie818 wrote:Thanks for the info! :D I will do more research on Southwestern and see if it'll be a good fit for me. I am planning to go into public interest so having any scholarship would be especially helpful.
Southwestern has great public interest programs. I'm also interested in public interest. This semester alone I've participated in GRAP (General Relief Advocacy Project), where we go to the various offices of the Department of Social Services to advocate for people getting the benefits they are entitled to. I've also participated in Teen Court, where we help teenage jurors at a high school formulate questions for juvenile defendants in proceedings overseen by a Superior Court judge. On Friday afternoons I volunteered with Public Counsel at a clinic at the federal courthouse, where I interviewed indigent pro se litigants (representing themselves) for intake. Next semester I am going on a weekend trip to northern California on a "Justice Bus." The organization hosting us is California Rural Legal Services. Southwestern also has Public Interest Law week in the fall, where there are a whole bunch of different events, including a public interest employer fair where you can network with pretty much every PI law organization in LA.

You should call or email Professor Laura Dym Cohen (lcohen@swlaw.edu). She directs the Street Law program at Southwestern and is the point person for all things public interest at Southwestern.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:42 pm

I was admitted! Yay!
Does anyone know when news of scholarship is supposed to come?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:06 am

Temka wrote:I was admitted! Yay!
You probably aren't getting a scholarship (unless you are latino or black). Congrats on getting in.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Danteshek wrote:
You probably aren't getting a scholarship (unless you are latino or black). Congrats on getting in.
Well I am not Latino or Black, but I am from Kazakhstan (avoid Borat jokes please!), so that makes me sorta like a minority maybe lol

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Temka wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Well I am not Latino or Black, but I am from Kazakhstan (avoid Borat jokes please!), so that makes me sorta like a minority maybe lol

Interesno! ya prepodaval angliski yasik pod tuloi (v `yasnaye poliane) shest' let nazad... potom pereekhal v moskvu i rabotal perevodchikom... Kazakhskie devushki ochen' krasivi!

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:47 pm

v Southwesterne mnoga ruskih?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”