Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
onthecusp

Bronze

Re: Southwestern

Post by onthecusp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Danteshek wrote:
chango wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I applied today with a 157/2.9 3 years out of school. You think I have a good shot at southwestern? I know this is not the proper forum to ask, but I figure there are more people viewing this thread than others related to sw. Thanks!
Odds are about 1 in 3. If you are an URM, it jumps to 3 in 4.
I think her odds are about 2 in 3 or better. I had 157/3.05 and got in without a problem (I was not wait-listed and I applied extremely late in the process). I was four years out of school.
I have similar numbers, also URM, out of school since 05. I applied 2/1, currently under review. I hope the optimistic projections are true.

haylie

New

Post by haylie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:56 pm

just got my Waitlisted letter in the mail today :( bah!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:34 am

I hope my application didn't get lost in a drawer somewhere :( I applied on Jan 22, they deemed me complete on Feb 2, then on Feb 11 I got an email asking for me to give them more information on the 10-point difference between my two LSAT scores. I responded within an hour. I have not heard anything since, and the status checker still says "Incomplete 2/11 - Please Contact Admissions." I sent them an email yesterday morning to make sure they got my response, but I have yet to hear back. Oh poo :(

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:59 am

roguey wrote:I hope my application didn't get lost in a drawer somewhere :( I applied on Jan 22, they deemed me complete on Feb 2, then on Feb 11 I got an email asking for me to give them more information on the 10-point difference between my two LSAT scores. I responded within an hour. I have not heard anything since, and the status checker still says "Incomplete 2/11 - Please Contact Admissions." I sent them an email yesterday morning to make sure they got my response, but I have yet to hear back. Oh poo :(
their admissions office is lagging a bit right now

i got a letter to setup a schollie interview weekend before last, e-mailed on Monday, got response Tuesday asking me to call, called, lady was gone, receptionist said she'd give a message and I'd get a call back (this was all to setup an interview the week of march 15th)

finally got a call back yesterday saying the lady was still gone but they would set up the appointment for me, now appointment date is march effin 24th :x

hope there's still some money left by then

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 am

My interview is next week. I'll try to leave you some.

:mrgreen:

Although consider that many people still haven't heard from schools higher on their list, so slots/cash should be opening up in the next couple weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 am

Withdrew my app tonight, good luck to those still waiting!

ChEsteve

New

Post by ChEsteve » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 pm

uwb09 wrote:
roguey wrote:I hope my application didn't get lost in a drawer somewhere :( I applied on Jan 22, they deemed me complete on Feb 2, then on Feb 11 I got an email asking for me to give them more information on the 10-point difference between my two LSAT scores. I responded within an hour. I have not heard anything since, and the status checker still says "Incomplete 2/11 - Please Contact Admissions." I sent them an email yesterday morning to make sure they got my response, but I have yet to hear back. Oh poo :(
their admissions office is lagging a bit right now

i got a letter to setup a schollie interview weekend before last, e-mailed on Monday, got response Tuesday asking me to call, called, lady was gone, receptionist said she'd give a message and I'd get a call back (this was all to setup an interview the week of march 15th)

finally got a call back yesterday saying the lady was still gone but they would set up the appointment for me, now appointment date is march effin 24th :x

they told me she was sick so i ended up getting the 18th :?

cogito2010

New

Post by cogito2010 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm

How long did it take to receive your letter ( both rejects and acceptances) once your status checker changed to "Final decision rendered"?

Soul Minded

New

Post by Soul Minded » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:17 pm

It took about 3 days or so.

So I was wondering what you guys thought, I am trying to decide between Southwestern with $20,000 and Loyola/USD with minimal grants. Thoughts anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JolieSaraLee

New

Post by JolieSaraLee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Soul Minded wrote:It took about 3 days or so.

So I was wondering what you guys thought, I am trying to decide between Southwestern with $20,000 and Loyola/USD with minimal grants. Thoughts anyone?
I've been debating over Southwestern with a full tuition scholarship and Loyola with 51k. My friend says SW would be a better choice because I'd graduate with less debt and it's respected in LA. I don't know how big the difference in prestige is between SW and Loyola, especially when you think about the fact that we would be competing with USC and UCLA for jobs. Assuming that I'd be a top student at SW and a lower ranked student at Loyola (and I'm basing this on my merit aid), maybe SW would be a better choice. I still think I'm gonna try to get more money out of Loyola and see what happens, though.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Given the economy and job prospects for the next three years, I'd go with Southwestern, unless there's something you really love about Loyola/USD or dislike about Southwestern. But you're asking this in the Southwestern thread, so my hunch is you'll be getting some biased opinions.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 am

chango wrote:

Given the economy and job prospects for the next three years, I'd go with Southwestern, unless there's something you really love about Loyola/USD or dislike about Southwestern. But you're asking this in the Southwestern thread, so my hunch is you'll be getting some biased opinions.
+1 I don't think that Loyola would have that much better job prospects than SW. You should go to the one that gives you less debt. If your talking UCLA or USC than that is a different story, but I don't think employment would be that much easier coming out of Loyola

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:20 am

I was accepted at the end of January. Southwestern's been sending me SO much stuff in the mail. Anyone else get that email from Kerrigan Hennings??? Haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChEsteve

New

Post by ChEsteve » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:09 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:I was accepted at the end of January. Southwestern's been sending me SO much stuff in the mail. Anyone else get that email from Kerrigan Hennings??? Haha.
No.. who is she?

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:30 pm

I am leaning toward Southwestern in my selection as well due to the money. But maybe someone can shed some light for me. I want to practice in LA for at least 10 years, but if I want to move elsewhere afterward would I have problem finding a job?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:

I've been debating over Southwestern with a full tuition scholarship and Loyola with 51k. My friend says SW would be a better choice because I'd graduate with less debt and it's respected in LA. I don't know how big the difference in prestige is between SW and Loyola, especially when you think about the fact that we would be competing with USC and UCLA for jobs. Assuming that I'd be a top student at SW and a lower ranked student at Loyola (and I'm basing this on my merit aid), maybe SW would be a better choice. I still think I'm gonna try to get more money out of Loyola and see what happens, though.
Although there might be a small perception difference between Southwestern and Loyola in a small segment of the LA legal market, in most situations, it is not such a Loyola degree will give you an edge over a Southwestern graduate of the same rank. The best from both schools are competitive with almost anybody, and mediocre students at both schools are similarly situated.

I'm sure plenty of people disagree with this though.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Got a call from the DA's office today. My information was submitted through the SW externship office. They want my fingerprints. Going in on Tuesday. This means I made initial cut and they'll be moving on to a background check.

My info is going out tomorrow from SW externship office for fall federal judicial externships (9th circuit and central district)

Still waiting to hear back from department of labor. It's been two weeks since callback interview. Also waiting to see if Bet Tzedek will made my fall offer a summer offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uclawaitlister

New

Post by uclawaitlister » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi Everyone!
I also just got accepted to Southwestern with a Wildman/Schumacher full tuituion, and accepted into the SCALE program. Is anyone here attending next year? I've gotten into other schools, but since I'm pretty set on LA and Public Interest, I think this seems like the best deal. Does anyone have any advice?

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:48 pm

uclawaitlister wrote:Hi Everyone!
I also just got accepted to Southwestern with a Wildman/Schumacher full tuituion, and accepted into the SCALE program. Is anyone here attending next year? I've gotten into other schools, but since I'm pretty set on LA and Public Interest, I think this seems like the best deal. Does anyone have any advice?
Why SCALE? Not that it's a bad program, just curious on why you selected that over traditional day.

My advice: take the full ride, especially given LA + Pubic Interest. But really, anyone who doesn't take a full ride from a relatively decent school considering the economy is

--ImageRemoved--

But again (broken record mode) you're in the Southwestern thread, so what do you THINK we're gonna tell you? You may wish to start a new thread listing your two or three options and see what the general masses think (assuming you haven't already...haven't clicked on your previous posts).

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:50 pm

agreed, i'm keepiny my hopes up that after I have my interview (stupid late march) that they will offer me close to a full ride

i got my non-schollie financial aid package from them earlier this week, aka 63K a year in loans.... ya.... not happening

if southwestern gives me good amount of cash, they would prob become a top choice instantly

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 pm

uclawaitlister wrote:Hi Everyone!
If you want Public Interest I highly recommend traditional day over SCALE. Scale students will probably not be able to participate in any of the three clinics at Southwestern (definitely not children's rights and immigration, and probably not street law) because of time constraints. Further, you would be losing out on several additional opportunities to intern with the various public interest organizations. For instance, I know one girl in Day who worked at Public Counsel last summer, is going to Children's Legal Center this summer, and will work at Alliance for Children's Rights next fall. On top of this, she did both immigration and children's rights clinics where she had her own case loads. Also, she is on several boards at SW including VP of Public Interest Law Committee. The extent of her involvement would NOT have been possible had she been in SCALE.
Last edited by Danteshek on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 pm

In review since 2/19!! Times-a-tickin'!!!!!

Pink_G

New

Post by Pink_G » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Danteshek wrote:
sd1967 wrote:I have a 3.7 GPA and a 151 LSAT. The LSAT is terribly low, I know. What are my chances at Southwestern. I just turned my application in mid-February.
Hard to say. Expect a denial or waitlist.
Don't be discouraged! I got into the SCALE program yesterday with a 3.5 and 151. I didn't think I had a chance...but you never know! Admission decisions can be very subjecti! Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:32 pm

I found out today I have phone interview on March 12th for Securities and Exchange Commission Summer Honors Law Program in Washington DC!! I had given up hope.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 pm

I got a 156 and 3.32 gpa... Decision pending.... I am thinking about taking a year off and working in LA(study for the lsat and take it for a 3rd time) I am convinced with a lot of studying I can get to 160. Will a 160 and 3.32 give me a very good chance at at least a half ride from Southwestern? I have tons of room to improve reading comp and logical reasoning (15 right and 33 right). Don't want to pay sticker price for Southwestern but it is the school I want to go to. Anyone disagree with my thought process here even if I can only get a job at an hourly rate for the year. Also, you can just supply an addendum explaining why you took lsat 3 times, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”