Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JohnnyBeagle

New

Re: Southwestern

Post by JohnnyBeagle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:38 am

Temka wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:How was orientation? Anyone?
Kind of pointless, but fun. Met a lot of cool people and got a lot of questions about law school answered by current students.
basically this

lots of free food was nice

round 2 tomorrow

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:49 am

JohnnyBeagle wrote:
Temka wrote:
Kind of pointless, but fun. Met a lot of cool people and got a lot of questions about law school answered by current students.
basically this

lots of free food was nice

round 2 tomorrow
Hopefully I get a call. :wink:

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:52 am

Temka wrote:

How is "Meeting a lot of cool people and [getting] a lot of questions about law school answered," kind of pointless? What more did you want? Pony rides?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:56 am

So is everyone all set for next week? I didn't get a call, so I'm assuming I'm not being offered a seat, lol.
:lol:

linkbruin

New

Post by linkbruin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 am

Temka wrote:
Yeah a lot of the info was just in other materials we already got. I thought dinner with a prof was great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

linkbruin

New

Post by linkbruin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:44 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:So is everyone all set for next week? I didn't get a call, so I'm assuming I'm not being offered a seat, lol.
LAWS classes start monday. I think you'll know then. I don't know if they reallly know who went and who didn't (to orientation). I got a call the first day about a couple hours into orientation asking if I was still going to show up. Little weird, but yeah.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:03 am

linkbruin wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:So is everyone all set for next week? I didn't get a call, so I'm assuming I'm not being offered a seat, lol.
LAWS classes start monday. I think you'll know then. I don't know if they reallly know who went and who didn't (to orientation). I got a call the first day about a couple hours into orientation asking if I was still going to show up. Little weird, but yeah.

Oh wow, this is interesting news. Thanks for posting!

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:58 pm

chango wrote:
Temka wrote:

How is "Meeting a lot of cool people and [getting] a lot of questions about law school answered," kind of pointless? What more did you want? Pony rides?
Pony rides would have been nice, though I dont think I would fit on a pony (Im a pretty big guy). I said "kind of pointless" not totally pointless...

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Temka wrote:
chango wrote:
Temka wrote:

Pony rides would have been nice, though I dont think I would fit on a pony (Im a pretty big guy). I said "kind of pointless" not totally pointless...
All this time I thought you were a girl.

Shows what I know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Pony rides would have been nice, though I dont think I would fit on a pony (Im a pretty big guy). I said "kind of pointless" not totally pointless...[/quote]
All this time I thought you were a girl.

Shows what I know.[/quote]

Hahaha! I have a full beard so if you saw me in person you would not think I was a girl for sure lol

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Temka wrote:Pony rides would have been nice, though I dont think I would fit on a pony (Im a pretty big guy). I said "kind of pointless" not totally pointless...
swollenmonkey wrote: All this time I thought you were a girl.

Shows what I know.
Temka wrote:
Hahaha! I have a full beard so if you saw me in person you would not think I was a girl for sure lol
What does Temka mean? Are you Armenian? I bet you are.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Temka wrote:
What does Temka mean? Are you Armenian? I bet you are.[/quote]

No, but close. I am Russian, but from Kazakhstan. Temka is my name lol...

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Temka wrote:
Temka wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote: What does Temka mean? Are you Armenian? I bet you are.
Temka wrote: No, but close. I am Russian, but from Kazakhstan. Temka is my name lol...
Oh ok. That's cool. Russian is a very awesome language to speak and Russian girls are so beautiful! My brother speaks Russian. I would like to speak Russian, too, but no time to learns it. Good luck at SW!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:10 pm

0L African-American over 40 years of age male with 3.2 UGPA and 160 LSAT, 10+ years if investment management and banking experience, and an MBA from UCLA.

Any insights from current and entering Southwestern Law students regarding probability of admittance to full-time program and scholarship possibilities?

Thank you

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Thank you Swollen Monkey.

and to the poster above me: You will get in and probably get quite a substantial scholly...mite want to even aim a little higher like Pepperdine/loyola

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks Temka.

By 'substantial' are you talking full tuition?

Is OCI better at Loyola?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:37 pm

No offense, but your career must really have taken a nose dive if you are seriously considering law school. Were you a financial advisor, or on the institutional side? Equities or fixed income? Btw I worked at Western Asset for 2 years and then Evergreen for one, in client service.

With those numbers you will prob get a half ride from SW and no money from Loyola. Of course, if they think you're loaded you might get nothing.

OCI at Loyola is about 10 times bigger than at Southwestern. That doesn't necessarily mean 10 times the offers though. You need to be near the top of your class to benefit from OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 pm

No offense at all(good question)

I was a proprietary trader for an investment bank and the recent financial reform bill led my firm to disband the proprietary function.

For top 5% and law review students are OCI opportunities the same at both SW and Loyola?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 pm

No. If you are top 5% at Southwestern you can (should) transfer to a top school (UCLA/USC/Berk etc) depending on where in the top 5% you land. Of course, your chance of acheiving that is very small. Only a very few top firms will consider a student at the very top of Southwestern's class (only seven big firms came to SW OCI this year). Many top firms never reach lower than Loyola and some don't even go that low.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 am

Great insights.

Are you a 2L?

In summary, if one is not looking for BigLaw, choose SW if and only if there is a full-tuition scholarship? Is that correct?

Thanks

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:39 am

No. Southwestern is a good school and you don't need a scholarship to go. You just should understand the realities of the job market so you know what you are getting into. SW is fine for govt or small firms. I went to SW last year with no money. I finished in the top 20 percent, made law review, but transfered to Loyola where I am mow a 2L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 am

Thank you

Oblivion_08

Bronze

Post by Oblivion_08 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Hey 1L's at Southwestern..I am a 1L for the 2011 Fall semester. Could you guys give me info on housing and where I should be looking to live?

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:Hey 1L's at Southwestern..I am a 1L for the 2011 Fall semester. Could you guys give me info on housing and where I should be looking to live?

A copy and paste of my reply from another thread:

I love Koreatown (SWL neighborhood): it's one of the few LA neighborhoods with a late night scene, it's conveniently located, has fewer traffic nightmares than the west side, lots of good eateries, some nice apartment complexes, or if you're luckier, some craftsman homes which may be renting a room to a student....

But if ktown isn't your cup of tea, you're a 10-15 minute drive or subway ride (i.e. not a grueling commute by any stretch) from Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, South Park, Echo Park, Silverlake, or Melrose/Hancock Park (if you can afford it).

K-town is relatively safe, but it's certainly not crime-free, so use your good judgment and you should be fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”