Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SwollenMonkey

Silver

Re: Southwestern

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
misled_drummer wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:New to many law school bookstores..... RENTING! Check it out here:

--LinkRemoved--

If you fall in love with your book, you have the option to buy.
I saw that on the Southwestern website. I would not only be concerned about the amount of markup in the book, but also the amount of notetaking I would be allowed to do.
They claim to accept it back at 50% marked up. You have to also figure in that half of the case book won't even be covered in class.

The example I have of my Property CB is $169 new vs. new rental at $77.

I haven't examined the rental process at all, but is the fee a one-time charge?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:05 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
misled_drummer wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:New to many law school bookstores..... RENTING! Check it out here:

--LinkRemoved--

I saw that on the Southwestern website. I would not only be concerned about the amount of markup in the book, but also the amount of notetaking I would be allowed to do.
They claim to accept it back at 50% marked up. You have to also figure in that half of the case book won't even be covered in class.

I haven't examined the rental process at all, but is the fee a one-time charge?
Yup. They have a due date and you just need to make sure it's turned into your bookstore. The due date seems to coincide with the last day of finals.

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
misled_drummer wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I guess I might do that for my Contracts CB since that's the one I can't find on Amazon. I found a Criminal CB for under $70 in like-new condition.

Edit: Is the option to rent not available for every book? All I see is an option to buy used or new.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:11 pm

misled_drummer wrote: I guess I might do that for my Contracts CB since that's the one I can't find on Amazon. I found a Criminal CB for under $70 in like-new condition.

Edit: Is the option to rent not available for every book? All I see is an option to buy used or new.
You are correct in that not every book is available for rental, unfortunately. The turn-around on new editions to these things is sinful.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:22 pm

I have just received my class schedule and I managed to find some of the required books on Amazon for about $3 to $5 bucks. I'm going with Amazon for now.

Still waiting on SW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Anyone in section A? I got my class schedule~ I haven't been given a list of books yet though. They gave me my schedule with my registration packet I believe. When did you guys get your list of books?

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:49 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:I have just received my class schedule and I managed to find some of the required books on Amazon for about $3 to $5 bucks. I'm going with Amazon for now.

Still waiting on SW.

Are you sure about that? You might want to research the book listing a little bit. This Contracts casebook says its from $89 new and $5 used, but the listing says it's only 7 pages long?

http://www.amazon.com/Contracts-Materia ... 878&sr=8-1

Edit: Here's the booklist.

http://swlaw.edu/pdfs/booklists/fall%20 ... l20101styr

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks for the booklist, that fits my schedule as well.... just wondering~ where did you find your booklist or was this just a pdf from Southwestern's site that you click on?

I am debating Amazon but scared of it being beat to shit... anyone with experience or gone through this situation?

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:52 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Thanks for the booklist, that fits my schedule as well.... just wondering~ where did you find your booklist or was this just a pdf from Southwestern's site that you click on?

I am debating Amazon but scared of it being beat to shit... anyone with experience or gone through this situation?
The booklist is straight from Southwestern's website. Supposedly it says the evening students were supposed to receive a booklist in the mail, but I never got one.

I just came back from Southwestern. I purchased a used Contracts CB by Murray (~$100) and a Bluebook (~$35) for LAWS. I decided to purchase my Criminal Casebook from Amazon with was only $60 for like new condition. I am actually going to return the Contracts CB since I just found a copy for only $25 for like new condition on Amazon. You can always return the books if they are messed up, but you should except some type of highlighting on marking on any used book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:44 pm

For people in the A section. This seems like the Civil Procedure book but under description says "1" page. It also seems pretty cheap for a new book so just wondering if anyone has bought it yet

http://www.amazon.com/Cases-Materials-C ... 780&sr=8-2

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:30 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:For people in the A section. This seems like the Civil Procedure book but under description says "1" page. It also seems pretty cheap for a new book so just wondering if anyone has bought it yet

http://www.amazon.com/Cases-Materials-C ... 780&sr=8-2
I don't think this is the right book for the class. I believe this is the right one.

http://www.amazon.com/Cases-Materials-C ... =pd_cp_b_1

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Ya, that looks right.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Could anyone find the Property (Dukeminier) or Contracts (Dawson) books? I couldn't find the correct edition, just wonderin gif anyone else had any luck.

This is for Section A

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:49 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Could anyone find the Property (Dukeminier) or Contracts (Dawson) books? I couldn't find the correct edition, just wonderin gif anyone else had any luck.

This is for Section A
Both of these books are barely coming out this year, so it's not available on amazon. You have to get it at the bookstore.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:01 am

How do you know what LAWS book to buy? Are they all the same? I thought we were only going to find out which section we are in during orientation, or am I missing something???

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 am

Temka wrote:How do you know what LAWS book to buy? Are they all the same? I thought we were only going to find out which section we are in during orientation, or am I missing something???
Each Prof will have a different set of loose leaf materials. It only costs a few dollars.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 pm

wow I just noticed you changed your pic to Loyola! I havent been keeping track of the forums. Are you transferring? I thought you were say its not better than Southwestern and you were convincing Chango to go to SW over Loyola...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 pm

lol! I not only heard from Dante that there isn't much of a difference between the schools but also other past students. What type of law are you wanting to practice Dante if you don't mind me asking? If you are going for public interest... would you have made the switch or taken the scholarship money?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Temka wrote:wow I just noticed you changed your pic to Loyola! I havent been keeping track of the forums. Are you transferring? I thought you were say its not better than Southwestern and you were convincing Chango to go to SW over Loyola...
I decided to transfer (despite making law review) because most of the lawyers I spoke with told me to transfer. Also, I was only offered a relative pittance to stay at Southwestern, and I had no aid going in. I think Southwestern is a great school. Unfortunately the school does not get the recognition it deserves in the private sector. I have to play the game and do what is best for me.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:20 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Temka wrote:wow I just noticed you changed your pic to Loyola! I havent been keeping track of the forums. Are you transferring? I thought you were say its not better than Southwestern and you were convincing Chango to go to SW over Loyola...
I decided to transfer (despite making law review) because most of the lawyers I spoke with told me to transfer. Also, I was only offered a relative pittance to stay at Southwestern, and I had no aid going in. I think Southwestern is a great school. Unfortunately the school does not get the recognition it deserves in the private sector. I have to play the game and do what is best for me.
Gotcha, well that makes me real confident about going in with no aid money either :?

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:48 pm

You're not the only one Temka.

I just got back from Southwestern and I must say, it was rather productive. I returned my Contracts CB ($100) after I found, and received today, the book from Amazon for only $60. It was in near perfect condition too. I also applied for a work-study job at the library and was immediately hired by the Computer Center. I figured I would be at the library most of the time anyway, why not get paid while I'm there? :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 pm

misled_drummer wrote:You're not the only one Temka.

I just got back from Southwestern and I must say, it was rather productive. I returned my Contracts CB ($100) after I found, and received today, the book from Amazon for only $60. It was in near perfect condition too. I also applied for a work-study job at the library and was immediately hired by the Computer Center. I figured I would be at the library most of the time anyway, why not get paid while I'm there? :D

SWL allows 1Ls to do work-study? Is that unusual?

misled_drummer

New

Post by misled_drummer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:05 pm

chango wrote:

They said they don't offer it to 1st years, unless you actively request it and look for a position on your own. I managed to do all that in 15 minutes. They do, however, cap the number of hours you can work depending on your program (full-time = no more than 20 hrs).

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:17 pm

hahaha
misled_drummer wrote:
chango wrote:

They said they don't offer it to 1st years, unless you actively request it and look for a position on your own. I managed to do all that in 15 minutes. They do, however, cap the number of hours you can work depending on your program (full-time = no more than 20 hrs).

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 pm

chango wrote:
bigmnstyle wrote:Any good bars downtown that people have been too?
How far is it from Southwestern to Manhattan beach in traffic and without traffic?
YeSsSsS
My favorite downtown bar is The Association. Broadway Bar is pretty cool too. Far Bar in nearby Little Tokyo is also great.

Southwestern to Manhattan beach in traffic could take over an hour. Without traffic, about 30 min.
association = hipsters

the edison is amazing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”