Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bigmnstyle

Bronze

Re: Southwestern

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Also my decision is pending right now so if accepted or waitlisted does that lessen my opportunities by withdrawing and applying again next semester? If I withdraw now, they won't see my application and letters of rec or personal statement, so I could use that again next year correct?? Confused by the situation I am in lol

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Got call today. Interview with a Federal Magistrate Judge for full time externship next Fall.
Last edited by Danteshek on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:35 pm

prob going to w/d app soon. I am tired of waiting on SW and I don't know if I could even tolerate 3 years and potentially the rest of my life in LA.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Pending Decision as of 3/4 at Southwestern. Does this mean a likely waitlist?

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:15 pm

If you have a 154 and under a 3.5 gpa you are waitlisted, everyone has been. If you have a 155 with 3.1 gpa or higher your in. That has been the case in all law school number applicants. Go accordingly

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:27 pm

GATORTIM wrote:prob going to w/d app soon. I am tired of waiting on SW and I don't know if I could even tolerate 3 years and potentially the rest of my life in LA.
Is this your ego talking? Don't you have ties to California?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Danteshek wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:prob going to w/d app soon. I am tired of waiting on SW and I don't know if I could even tolerate 3 years and potentially the rest of my life in LA.
I've lived in SoCal for 3 and 1/2 years and have a relative that works for a BigLaw firm in OC. I lived in LA for 2 years and am not particularly fond of LA, but I absolutely love OC and San Diego. I'm more or less frustrated with the lack of an answer from SW. I have been accepted to Stetson (FL) and have more (non-legal) ties to Florida.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Anyone have any information on my above post in regards to scholarship money and if a 3.32 and a 159/160 lsat will get you a half ride scholarship. It seemed like everyone on LSN with those stats were getting it. Anybody??

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:31 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
I've lived in SoCal for 3 and 1/2 years and have a relative that works for a BigLaw firm in OC. I lived in LA for 2 years and am not particularly fond of LA, but I absolutely love OC and San Diego. I'm more or less frustrated with the lack of an answer from SW. I have been accepted to Stetson (FL) and have more (non-legal) ties to Florida.

Sounds like you'd like Chapman better

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:23 am

Danteshek wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Sounds like you'd like Chapman better
I didnt apply to Chapman and the large alumni base of SW is what really appealed to me. I see that SW places from LA to SD, but I'm just frustrated that I don't have a decision from SW yet b/c my wife and I have given notice to our employer (both work in OC). However, this is my own fault for applying later.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:33 am

I have been accepted to Stetson
Stetson is comparable to Southwestern. My mom did her law degree there and has done pretty well for herself.

milenchik

New

Post by milenchik » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:35 am

Hey guys!

I really need some help, some advice.

I got into UC Davis and I also got into Southwestern (with 20k scholarship renewable). I am sure I will get the same amount of grant aid if I go to Davis. I live in LA so I would have to move to Davis if I decide to go there. I plan on practicing law in LA area. what would you guys do? Would you go to Davis and have a little more debt after graduation (because of housing fees) or go to Southwestern and have less loans.
I really need some good advice.

Is UC Davis' prestige compared to Southwestern really worth for me to move all the way to Davis and have more loans although I will come back to LA after graduation? I would love to know which school will ensure that I will be able to get a nice job after graduation.

Thanks

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:08 am

Are you serious? It's one thing if Davis offered you no money...but with little difference...Davis all the way man. More job opportunities in more markets (LA and SF/Bay Area)

No school will ensure you a good job...however, being at the top or close to the top of your class at either school will ensure you a good job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:33 am

Been in review since 2-05-10. I assume I'm waitlisted. I'll wait it out.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:08 am

the status checker says it takes about 8-10 weeks for a decision to be made. is it usually this long, or can a decision be made sooner?

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:12 am

I am sure I will get the same amount of grant aid if I go to Davis.
Explain why you are sure.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 am

joonhp wrote:Are you serious? It's one thing if Davis offered you no money...but with little difference...Davis all the way man. More job opportunities in more markets (LA and SF/Bay Area)

No school will ensure you a good job...however, being at the top or close to the top of your class at either school will ensure you a good job.

I know 2 3L's in the top 10% of USC who have NO job offers. Nothing is guaranteed in this job market.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:43 am

Chango, he hasn't even begun school. The market will be better 4 years from now, he isn't going into the job market right now. If he goes to Davis and does well, he will get a good job. Also, Davis is cheaper then Southwestern I am pretty sure... by like 10k so you really aren't losing that much money going to Davis.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Chango, he hasn't even begun school. The market will be better 4 years from now, he isn't going into the job market right now. If he goes to Davis and does well, he will get a good job. Also, Davis is cheaper then Southwestern I am pretty sure... by like 10k so you really aren't losing that much money going to Davis.
Sure the market will probably be better 4 years from now, but think demand side: there will be a significant number of people looking for work from the three classes ahead of him, plus probably a handful of experienced lawyers who are looking to regain their former salaries (some firms have laid off 20% of their workforce).

All I'm saying is caveat emptor.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 pm

What is your definition of "nice job?"
How hard are you willing to work to get what you want?
Are you good at networking?
Do you want a practical legal education, or more theory?
How much does prestige matter to you?

ChEsteve

New

Post by ChEsteve » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45 pm

just a general question.. how does SW do in IP law, specifically patent law? Danteshek do you know of any students studying at SW with an interest to practice in IP law? Thanks!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 pm

ChEsteve wrote:just a general question.. how does SW do in IP law, specifically patent law? Danteshek do you know of any students studying at SW with an interest to practice in IP law? Thanks!!!
What kind of IP law are you interested in? The IP stuff at Southwestern is heavily tilted towards media/entertainment. Professor Lind is probably as good as any professor anywhere for Copyright, which you can take as a 1L. If you are interested in patent law (techno stuff), we have the standard "Patent Law", "Patent Prosecution and Drafting", and "Intellectual Property", "Drafting/Negotiating Tech Agreements" law classes. SW also has two study abroad programs in London, one for media law and the other for information technology law. I don't know any students who are planning to become patent attorneys. That doesn't mean they are not around though.

Intellectual Property
# Course Name (Click for details) Credits
772C Advanced Copyright Law Seminar 2.0
772 Advanced Entertainment Law Seminar 2.0
668 Advertising Law Practice 2.0
762A California Defamation, Privacy & Publicity Seminar 2.0
442 AX Comparative Cultural Property Law 2.0
538 Copyright Law 3.0
742 Cultural Property Seminar 2.0
660 Defamation, Privacy & Publicity 2.0
673IT Drafting Information Technology Agreements 3.0
673 Drafting/Negt Tech Agreements 3.0
674 Drafting/Negt Video Game Agreements 2.0
694 Entertainment Industry Labor & Employment Law 2.0
540 Entertainment Law 3.0
772 Entertainment Law Seminar 2.0
680BX Externship N/A
680EP Externship: Entertainment Practicum N/A
810 Fashion Law (Intersession) 1.0
643 Historic Preservation Law 2.0
542 Intellectual Property Law 3.0
539 International and Comparative Copyright Law 2.0
452 International and Comparative IP Law 2.0
658 International Art Law 2.0
541 International Entertainment Law 3.0
659 International Internet Law 2.0
679IT Interviewing, Counseling & Negotiating in the IT Sector 3.0
666 Motion Picture Production Law 2.0
772 Museum and Art Law Seminar 2.0
672 Music Industry Contracts 2.0
672OS Music Industry Contracts (Off-site) 2.0
667 Music Publishing Industry, The 2.0
586 Patent Law 3.0
772D Patent Prosecution and Drafting 2.0
664 Television Production Law 2.0
640 Trademark Law 2.0
671 Video Game Law 2.0

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Video game law-- that could be fun :)

littlepiggie818

New

Post by littlepiggie818 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Anyone have any information on my above post in regards to scholarship money and if a 3.32 and a 159/160 lsat will get you a half ride scholarship. It seemed like everyone on LSN with those stats were getting it. Anybody??
I think that you can get a half ride with those number. It's similar to mine.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks man!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”