Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek

Gold

Re: Southwestern

Post by Danteshek » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:01 pm

chango wrote:
ChEsteve wrote:anyone going to the admitted students event tomorrow?
me.
My first of two warmup rounds for the moot court competition is at 9:45 in Westmoreland 611. Normally spectators are not allowed, but if my opponent is ok with it I won't object to you being there.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Just had the interview with the SEC. It went really well I think. I asked for division of investment management because that is where my frame of reference is. My second choice is trading and markets because I don't know a lot about broker dealers and SRO's, but I want to learn. After I explained why I wanted to work for the SEC, there were a couple of interesting questions. First - imagine yourself as chairman of the SEC - what issues need attention? Second - they weren't very familiar with my law school, so they wanted to know more about Southwestern and why I decided to attend. Third - they wanted to know in detail about the volunteer work I've been doing. They gave me credit for my strong grades.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:06 pm

More informative posts on questions such as what are numbers you got scholarship money from Southwestern and thoughts on Southwestern, less of the life of Dante--

brianmck16

New

Post by brianmck16 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
brianmck16 wrote:Waitlisted today. 3.5/150.
When did you apply?
Right after Christmas.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:More informative posts on questions such as what are numbers you got scholarship money from Southwestern and thoughts on Southwestern, less of the life of Dante--
I think Dante's posts are informative because they give you a look at what life at SW would be like...

What you were asking for: 3.4, 155 (non-traditional applicant). No scholarship as of yet.
Visited the school and thought it was great. Seem a bit underrated, but looks like it is on the way up. If you want to work in LA its good, especially in Entertainment Law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 pm

They are informative on how the life at law school will be. There are some questions that have been asked and are still not answered. I will worry about what you do in law school when it comes lol. Now I am wondering about scholarship questions and nobody seems to be able to answer them, even people who have been through the cycle and received scholarships. :evil:

swiard

New

Post by swiard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:23 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:They are informative on how the life at law school will be. There are some questions that have been asked and are still not answered. I will worry about what you do in law school when it comes lol. Now I am wondering about scholarship questions and nobody seems to be able to answer them, even people who have been through the cycle and received scholarships. :evil:
^^^^

douche

But to answer your question...3.6/163 here. Full Tuition Scholarship renewable w/2.5. SCALE Program admit

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:34 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:More informative posts on questions such as what are numbers you got scholarship money from Southwestern and thoughts on Southwestern, less of the life of Dante--
I do not have a scholarship. My numbers were 157/3.05.

I got a 5500 dollar PILF grant to do public interest work this summer.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:15 pm

so what will a 160 with a 3.3 get ya? Not a penny?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:05 am

bigmnstyle wrote:so what will a 160 with a 3.3 get ya? Not a penny?
Based on the trend it looks like you may get quite a substantial scholarship if you interview well for that scholarship they seem to be giving out...

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:49 am

wait listed yesterday. 157/2.9 ... I applied mid Feb so I think I was put on the wait list because I applied so late in the cycle... anyone's thoughts on this?

Also, I took a tour of the school in early Sept.. Do you think it would be wise for me to take another tour so that I can learn even more about the school and then be able to construct a better LOCI? I live in the LA area so it is not a burden to me. Would there be any harm in taking a second tour and meeting with the admissions dept. a second time?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Not necessary. Just make sure they know SW is your number one choice. LOCI should be short and to the point.

vvoc

New

Post by vvoc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 am

I applied 11/12/2009 and am still in review as of 2/19 which is getting me a bit worried, SW is my top choice at this point and am hoping to hear back from them soon...does anyone know if they will have most of the decisions out by May 1st? my numbers are 3.14/158 and am becoming increasingly worried that I won't be accepted...anyone have any wisdom? thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:05 am

Accepted back in January. 150/3.8 URM...and withdrew a day later.
I'm riding my waitlist at University of Illinois and I was accepted at Chicago-Kent.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:26 am

vvoc wrote:I applied 11/12/2009 and am still in review as of 2/19 which is getting me a bit worried, SW is my top choice at this point and am hoping to hear back from them soon...does anyone know if they will have most of the decisions out by May 1st? my numbers are 3.14/158 and am becoming increasingly worried that I won't be accepted...anyone have any wisdom? thanks
Seems like with your numbers you have a great shot of getting in sooner or later. LSN's last cycle has a person (3.2/160) who went complete in Feb and got accepted in May, but generally it looks like they'll have all their decisions by April/May. Feb 19th isn't too long ago, give it 2 or 3 more weeks then you should contact them.

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Withdrew from the waitlist, goodluck everyone!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:17 pm

3.14 and 158 is acceptance, you won't be waitlisted

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vvoc

New

Post by vvoc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:29 pm

well only reason i worry is that i was waitlisted at chapman...is that any reason for alarm? haha

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:29 pm

vvoc wrote:well only reason i worry is that i was waitlisted at chapman...is that any reason for alarm? haha
No. I was accepted at SW and waitlisted at Chapman.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Temka wrote:
vvoc wrote:well only reason i worry is that i was waitlisted at chapman...is that any reason for alarm? haha
No. I was accepted at SW and waitlisted at Chapman.
The standards at the two schools are basically identical. Those numbers should be sufficient, barring some huge surge in applications.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:03 am

Here is my appellate brief. Turning it in tomorrow. Pretty sure this will be the highest grade in my class.

The topic is actually quite interesting: outrageous government conduct defense (separate from entrapment).

The defense has only been successful a handful of times in the last 30 years.

--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 am

Looks good but also not fun... I am not ready for law school yet :) Going to enjoy the LA area for a couple years before going. Accepted but withdrew good luck to everyone and what are some fun things to do around the area? Good Beaches, good bars, any advice? I am going to party it UP these next couple years and attempt to find a finance related job in the process :)

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:54 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Looks good but also not fun...
Writing this brief was probably the most fun I've ever had in my life.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:01 am

Danteshek wrote:Here is my appellate brief. Turning it in tomorrow. Pretty sure this will be the highest grade in my class.

The topic is actually quite interesting: outrageous government conduct defense (separate from entrapment).

The defense has only been successful a handful of times in the last 30 years.

--LinkRemoved--
I'm interested in the citation guidelines used for this brief. Do you have a link to a website of some kind? Thanks.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:47 am

Blue Book, 18th edition. It's only in hard copy. Any law school bookstore has it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”