Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
star10

New

Re: Southwestern

Post by star10 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:46 pm

I did a phone interview for the Wildman/Schumacher. It was a lot more informal than I thought it was going to be. I was asked to tell a bit about myself, asked a few questions about my family, what I'm looking for in a law school, and if I had any questions. I don't really remember everything they asked, but it was very mellow and conversational vs. a hardcore drilling of questions.

It seemed like they were looking for someone who was a hard worker and had interesting life experience/worked against adversity. Someone who is going to use their law degree in a way that will help society rather than someone who is iffy about the profession or just wants lots of money.

In my mind, the interview seemed more of a formality...like they had already picked out the people based on strong #'s and just wanted to do a quick interview to make sure the person wasn't a sociopath before they gave them thousands of dollars. I could be wrong though.

Hope that helps...

db004

New

Post by db004 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:54 pm

What is the latest anyone has heard of Southwestern admitting someone off of their waitlist? I've been in review since 11/24 and would have thought I'd have heard some sort of word by now.

GeesesAintTeethes

New

Post by GeesesAintTeethes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
chango wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Barrister's Ball tonight at Mountain Gate Country Club :) (law school prom)
My date looks fantastic.
Wow. Debating the significance of an apostrophe. Insert your own lawyer joke here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barristers'_Ball
A lawyer and a priest walk into a bar...

How do you know when a lawyer is lying?

sd1967

New

Post by sd1967 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 pm

I have a 3.7 GPA and a 151 LSAT. The LSAT is terribly low, I know. What are my chances at Southwestern. I just turned my application in mid-February.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:34 pm

sd1967 wrote:I have a 3.7 GPA and a 151 LSAT. The LSAT is terribly low, I know. What are my chances at Southwestern. I just turned my application in mid-February.
Hard to say. Expect a denial or waitlist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 am

Hey I went complete in September with a 154/ 3.12. I've been at "pending decision" since 1/20, anyone have any idea of how long it takes for a decision to be made?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:30 am

Birdman wrote:Hey I went complete in September with a 154/ 3.12. I've been at "pending decision" since 1/20, anyone have any idea of how long it takes for a decision to be made?
Varies quite a bit. You should expect a long haul on the wait-list with those numbers.

swiard

New

Post by swiard » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 am

Accepted today to the SCALE program with the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarship for Full Tuition, renewable w/2.5 GPA

....Ecstatic :D

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:52 am

swiard wrote:Accepted today to the SCALE program with the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarship for Full Tuition, renewable w/2.5 GPA

....Ecstatic :D

Wow. Congratulations. This is a big deal. Go celebrate.

Btw, I change my advice. I think you should come to Southwestern instead of Chapman. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sd1967

New

Post by sd1967 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
sd1967 wrote:I have a 3.7 GPA and a 151 LSAT. The LSAT is terribly low, I know. What are my chances at Southwestern. I just turned my application in mid-February.
Hard to say. Expect a denial or waitlist.

Where do you think I would fall on the waitlist? I was hoping my GPA would carry me, but with my crappy LSAT you never know I guess. Thanks for the help.

JKRN

New

Post by JKRN » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm

I got in with a 151 and a 3.56 to the part time evening program. Do you have any work experience?

sd1967

New

Post by sd1967 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm

JKRN wrote:
I got in with a 151 and a 3.56 to the part time evening program. Do you have any work experience?
Thanks, this is encouraging. I wouldn't mind doing part-time. I was an intern at Inner City Law Center for a year, thats about it for work in the legal field. I am currently working for a pretty big non-profit in LA as a volunteer coordinator. Nothing too spectacular, but for my age I think my resume is relatively impressive.

I ranked part-time evening on my application as third. Will they still offer me part-time even if it isn't my first choice? Thanks for your help.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm

in review since 2/19, if the wifey's job transfer doesnt work out, SW is a definite possibility. I just need this decision rendered ASAP so I can make some life-changin decisions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm waiting for Southwestern. I've been in review since 2-05 and have a feeling that I am going to be waitlisted.

haylie

New

Post by haylie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:36 pm

Decision mailed out today! *crosses fingers*

For those accepted, how were you notified? Just snail mail?

koehn2

New

Post by koehn2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm

What is like trying to find an apartment? Are there apartments close to campus? Would I want an apartment close to campus? I imagine the cost for apartments is high, but are they pretty nice? Do you get what you pay is what I am asking because I live in your standard college town and rent is outrageous with crappy amenities.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 pm

haylie wrote:Decision mailed out today! *crosses fingers*

For those accepted, how were you notified? Just snail mail?

Big envelope. Snail mail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 pm

koehn2 wrote:What is like trying to find an apartment? Are there apartments close to campus? Would I want an apartment close to campus? I imagine the cost for apartments is high, but are they pretty nice? Do you get what you pay is what I am asking because I live in your standard college town and rent is outrageous with crappy amenities.

I will show you this..
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=108798

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:07 pm

koehn2 wrote:What is like trying to find an apartment? Are there apartments close to campus? Would I want an apartment close to campus? I imagine the cost for apartments is high, but are they pretty nice? Do you get what you pay is what I am asking because I live in your standard college town and rent is outrageous with crappy amenities.
http://www.city-data.com/county/Los_An ... ty-CA.html

Rents have been coming down, as far as I can tell, for most of LA County. You'll be getting more for you money than in a typical college town. Rent in LA County is much higher than the national average, but lower than the state average (see link).

There are MANY cool and affordable places to live within a reasonable commute to Southwestern. My favorites include Downtown, South Park, Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park, Little Tokyo and Chinatown. The area surrounding Southwestern (Koreatown) is great, but some people (Danteshek, for example) suggest living further away for buffer/sanity reasons.

star10

New

Post by star10 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:19 am

I got my acceptance in a small white envelope. also had an invite to interview for wildman/schumacher. big packet came like a week or two later.

i thought i got rejected at first...

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:59 am

chango wrote:
http://www.city-data.com/county/Los_An ... ty-CA.html

Rents have been coming down, as far as I can tell, for most of LA County. You'll be getting more for you money than in a typical college town. Rent in LA County is much higher than the national average, but lower than the state average (see link).

There are MANY cool and affordable places to live within a reasonable commute to Southwestern. My favorites include Downtown, South Park, Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park, Little Tokyo and Chinatown. The area surrounding Southwestern (Koreatown) is great, but some people (Danteshek, for example) suggest living further away for buffer/sanity reasons.
I was told by many SW students that the main and best spot to live for a SW student is miracle mile. I am more troubled about whether or not to have a housemate or not. Privacy and your own place is cool, but with a housemate you can afford a nicer place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 am

Miracle Mile is THE place to be with two caveats:
1) If you must have a car (which I don't recommend - you should ride the bus) make sure you have a private parking space. Parking is an absolute nightmare if you don't have one.
2) Don't live in Park La Brea. There are lots of much nicer multi family buildings that cost less.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Yep, my status checker says waitlist offer has been sent...

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Withdrew today, good luck to those who are waiting!

koehn2

New

Post by koehn2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Birdman wrote:Yep, my status checker says waitlist offer has been sent...

Me too :(

We have identical numbers as well, which I guess explains both waitlists.
Last edited by koehn2 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”