Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joonhp

Bronze

Re: Southwestern

Post by joonhp » Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 am

Danteshek wrote:
joonhp wrote:What to do...Southwestern FT or Santa Clara PT...*sigh*
How long have you lived in LA?
I grew up in LA, but lived for several years in the bay area after college. My goal is biglaw and I know it requires top 10 percent at either institution. I am still trying to figure out which market is better. I know SCU has a good rep at the big firms in the bay area because I met a number of SCU grads while paralegaling. Do Southwestern grads receive offers at the larger firms in the LA area?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu May 06, 2010 3:40 am

Some big firms hire top Southwestern students. Other large firms tend to pass them over. In general, you want to be someplace where you won't feel like the unwanted stepchchild (the SW associate at dla piper told me that was her nickname). So even if you get a big law offer, you might be better off someplace else. Biglaw cannot be an expectation for any student at SW. Sure, if you hit it out of the park, you have a shot.

I think you should come to Southwestern because LA is where your roots are. That will be your competitive advantage when decide to look fo a job. And you will develop your LA network even further as a student at SW. Lastly, LA is a much larger legal market than San Jose/SF.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Thu May 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Biglaw is barely a possibility at either school and out of any school especially in this economy, however SCU will provide you with a slightly better shot. I wouldn't say that LA has a MUCH larger market than the Bay Area, they seem pretty comparable especially considering many SCU grads are hired in SF as well. You need to keep in mind, one of these schools isn't going to give you an huge advantage over the other when it comes to employment in their region. What will give you a huge advantage is excelling at the school you choose to attend. Choose a school you like and work you butt off, and in this way you'll maximize your employment opportunity. You should look at the area, its facilities, visit the campus, sit in a class, talk to current students, etc. and figure out where you're going to be a happy law student.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Thu May 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Fuck me. Wait-listed. :? So much for the optimism I had with the LSN chart.

cubedweller

New

Post by cubedweller » Thu May 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Fuck me. Wait-listed. :? So much for the optimism I had with the LSN chart.
Sorry to hear man... :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

filmbuff

New

Post by filmbuff » Thu May 06, 2010 11:34 pm

So sorry, but at least the agony of wondering and waiting is over and I really think that there is going to be a lot of movement on this waitlist in the coming months. At least with waitlist status you can send a LOCI/other materials and try to be a little proactive with your file. It could have been worse, of course, if a rejection had been issued, so just think how you would be feeling right now with that! At least Pepperdine are still in the running for you and, I think, Loyola?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Fuck me. Wait-listed. :? So much for the optimism I had with the LSN chart.
Take the full ride at La Verne. The DA is not going to care. You can work for the Riverside or San Bernadino DA while you're in school. There are even DAs from unaccredited schools. I met one who went to Pacific Coast School of Law.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 07, 2010 3:37 am

Welcome to the club. Its been a month since I was wait-listed. Now, I hear people can't pay deposits. I'm not optimistic yet. =-\

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Fri May 07, 2010 6:21 am

Danteshek wrote:
Take the full ride at La Verne. The DA is not going to care. You can work for the Riverside or San Bernadino DA while you're in school. There are even DAs from unaccredited schools. I met one who went to Pacific Coast School of Law.
Dante, would you take a full ride at La Verne over Sticker at Southwestern knowing what you know now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Fri May 07, 2010 6:33 am

rossrobert wrote:
filmbuff wrote:Rossrobert: So sorry to hear this as I thought from your questions about the login information that you had already been accepted. Plus, I had an answer for you about the login! I would suggest calling admissions and asking if you can be considered for the part-time evening program. It is certainly less competitive and unless your numbers were just completely off the beaten path, then it's worth a shot and I know there are still spots available. You can then apply to the Dean of Students to transfer in to the traditional program after the first year. If they say no, ask if you can be at least wait-listed for the part-time. See if they are willing to play ball at all. Not much comfort perhaps when you live in NY, but let us know!
Thank you for your support! I was asking about the login information since my status had changed that a final decision letter was on its way and i was anxious to see if i would be able to log on to that part of the website. I did apply for the part-time programs as well and was hoping I would at least have a shot at that. My GPA is a 3.52 (which I believe is at their 75%), however my LSAT score is below their 25%. I am not a good standardized test taker, but should mention that I do have a learning disability, which plays a factor in this. I spoke about my ld in my personal statement, e-mailed people in the admissions office regarding my situation and even spoke with the counselor in the diversity affairs office. I submitted additional documentation of my IEP from when I was younger ,which indicates that I received extended time on exams and then after speaking with the counselor we agreed that I should submit a LOCI. I submitted the letter along with additional documentation of testing from a few years ago which reiterates my need for extended time on tests. I was told to make the admissions committee aware that these documents were important since I was not able to receive proper accommodations for the LSAT. When I contacted LSAC regarding accommodations they told me I would have to be tested again to be considered. Right after I spoke with LSAC, I started to make calls to find out there were waiting lists and the testing and results would not have been completed by the deadline LSAC enforced, therefore resulting in both of my horrible LSAT scores. I really thought that the committee might have looked somewhat past my score since there is a nice section on their site about students with learning disabilities and what they do to accommodate those students. As far as SW playing ball, I don't think they are willing to play as the letter states, " You may be assured that the materials you submitted have received full attention by the Admissions Committee, whose decision is final." Obviously I am very upset by this, but the only person I guess to blame is myself and to remember that everything happens for a reason....
Danteshek wrote:
rossrobert wrote:got rejected today :-( really upset about this...good luck to the rest of you.
Sorry to hear. Have you been accepted to any other schools? Taking a year off isn't to retake the LSAT and just chill out is not always such a bad idea, especially if you are on the younger side. If it makes you feel any better, I applied to 36 schools and only was accepted to two of them. I had something like eight wait-lists. This is not at all indicative of your ability to succeed in law school.
I have not been accepted to any other schools, which has really made me stressed out. I am 24 and graduated college in 2008, I have been working these past two years and really did not want to take another year off from school. I took the testmasters prep course, which I believe did help me, but I feel like there is no hope in doing better unless I receive accommodations, which who knows if they will even grant me that. Hopefully everything works out in the end.

I apologize for the venting, but thank you for listening.

Good luck to everyone!
To be honest, this is rarely ever my advice, but you need to retake the LSAT. If you have a 3.5 GPA, you're capable of pulling off a 160+. Imagine taking the next 5 months or so to prepare for the October LSAT, having the pressure of already going through it once before and scoring a 160+. Not only would you be in at Southwestern, you damn well might be considered for a full ride, not to mention all the other T1 and T2 schools that would consider you as well. You have a great GPA for any school outside of the Top 30. I'm 29 and will be entering my first year of law school. It's really not that big of a deal. You're still a baby. One more year isn't going to kill you.

You've already taken testmasters, you know how to do the problems, now you just have to get good at taking the test. Take as many PT's as possible before October and get your 160. If I had your GPA, instead of being waitlisted, I'd probably be looking at a very generous scholarship offer from Southwestern, and all I scored was a 157. Don't sell yourself short, and don't feel pressured to rush into law school. Seriously, 24 is practically pre-pubescent now a days. Do this for yourself.

Re-apply next cycle on the first day they allow applications, take the test in October, get your 160+. You'll thank yourself later.

bamlax

New

Post by bamlax » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am

onthecusp wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Dante, would you take a full ride at La Verne over Sticker at Southwestern knowing what you know now?
Thought this was kind of interesting and positive info for Southwestern, but I have no idea about La Verne.

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/search/demographics.aspx

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 am

just withdrew with full ride........good luck to ya'll. Hope the spot goes to one of you! :D

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri May 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Fergie wrote:just withdrew with full ride........good luck to ya'll. Hope the spot goes to one of you! :D
Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri May 07, 2010 3:22 pm

onthecusp wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
I wouldn't. Being in LA is very important to me. I went to middle school and high school here. I know tons of people, and so does my mom. Dozens of my high school classmates are practicing lawyers in LA. Also, I am probably going to work in private practice. If I knew for sure I wanted to be a DA (like Mr. Matlock), I would seriously consider a full ride at La Verne.

vvoc

New

Post by vvoc » Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 pm

just out of curiosity...stupid question maybe but why is it important that you attend a law school in the region you want to work? are alumni more likely to hire one of there own?

is it easier to get a job because of local name recognition? just want to know if there is any REAL benefit in attending a school where you want to practice as opposed to one that offers you money....thanks

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:51 pm

vvoc wrote:just out of curiosity...stupid question maybe but why is it important that you attend a law school in the region you want to work? are alumni more likely to hire one of there own?

is it easier to get a job because of local name recognition? just want to know if there is any REAL benefit in attending a school where you want to practice as opposed to one that offers you money....thanks
the biggest reason, is that during law school you should be out in the local area networking, making a name for yourself, diving into the local legal scene, etc...

name recognition is also up there, the local firms and business work with tons of students from that school, and have built up an association with it. And not just students, but working with the school itself and it's faculty.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri May 07, 2010 3:59 pm

vvoc wrote:just out of curiosity...stupid question maybe but why is it important that you attend a law school in the region you want to work? are alumni more likely to hire one of there own?

The reason it's important is because if you're at a local school like Southwestern, 95% of your classmates are going to practice in the same area. 94 out of ~230 kids in the full time program my year went to UCLA for UG, and another huge chunk from USC. Those kids are not going anywhere after they graduate from Southwestern. If you can develop relationships with these people, who already have their own extensive LA networks, that can help you as you start your practice. The other reason is that if you go to a local school, where you want to practice, you can start networking in the working legal community while you're in school. You would not have that opportunity if you were going to school somewhere else. It's not just about getting a job. It's about building a name for yourself, from the moment you step foot on campus.

If you go to USF (for example), and then come to LA after you graduate, you'd be starting from scratch. Nobody will know you. If you go to a top school like Berkeley, people won't care as much that they don't know you, because they'll assume you are smart because you went to an elite school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Danteshek wrote:
onthecusp wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
I wouldn't. Being in LA is very important to me. I went to middle school and high school here. I know tons of people, and so does my mom. Dozens of my high school classmates are practicing lawyers in LA. Also, I am probably going to work in private practice. If I knew for sure I wanted to be a DA (like Mr. Matlock), I would seriously consider a full ride at La Verne.
This is 100% credited. It's just coming to terms with relegating the rest of your life to the Inland Empire, and in my case, the hour long commute each way that would be facing me each day. (Living under the dream I actually get a job once I graduate)

Here's praying satellite radio never goes belly up.

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Sun May 09, 2010 2:00 am

Danteshek wrote:
Hey Dante, what are the prospects of working as a DA? Is it tougher than doing private practice or working big law? It's all contingent on my Oct. LSAT, but I may actually choose a lower ranked school based on scholly offers now. If by some miracle I got into UCLA, I think I'd pick SW now if I got a full ride.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun May 09, 2010 2:14 am

If you want to work for the DA, you extern there and take criminal law electives, of which Southwestern has plenty. Right now the office isn't hiring, but I expect it will be by the time you graduate. At any given time 30-50 Southwestern students are working in the DA's office. I think about a quarter of the DAs are Southwestern alums.

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Sun May 09, 2010 4:19 am

Danteshek wrote:If you want to work for the DA, you extern there and take criminal law electives, of which Southwestern has plenty. Right now the office isn't hiring, but I expect it will be by the time you graduate. At any given time 30-50 Southwestern students are working in the DA's office. I think about a quarter of the DAs are Southwestern alums.
Right now, my interest is in criminal law, so working in a DA's office would be ideal. That's a bumer they aren't hiring though :(. Hope this changes for the '11-'12 school year! Would you know the starting salary by any chance? $50-$60K?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun May 09, 2010 5:49 am

about 60k

Callie

New

Post by Callie » Mon May 10, 2010 11:43 am

Danteshek wrote:
94 out of ~230 kids in the full time program my year went to UCLA for UG, and another huge chunk from USC.
How is this information known? Is it actually printed somewhere since you know so precisely?

Chakazulu

New

Post by Chakazulu » Mon May 10, 2010 1:08 pm

I'm interested in tax law, but also a DA position. I'm assuming I'd take a lot of courses on taxation. However, can I raise my chances of being selected to DA by focusing on tax?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Callie wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
94 out of ~230 kids in the full time program my year went to UCLA for UG, and another huge chunk from USC.
How is this information known? Is it actually printed somewhere since you know so precisely?
This was one of the facts about our class that Dean Garth mentioned at orientation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”