Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
e10

New

Re: Southwestern

Post by e10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:12 am

jjinva wrote:Actually, I take that back. Got my acceptance package today.

Strictly average stats 159/3.3. I am glad someone finally looked at my undergrad 3.91 instead of old community college stuff that brought my cumulative down to 3.3.
jjinva wrote:Actually, I take that back. Got my acceptance package today.

congrats, do you plan on attending? when do you have to put the seat deposit down if you plan on attending?

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:13 am

First $500 due on April 20 and second on June 1. I am seriously considering it. It would be a full-tuition gig, so I am waiting a few more weeks to see what else happens. I'd love to do a T100 if I am going to be paying full-tuition prices. SW is as much money as AU and more than Richmond...

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:25 am

jjinva wrote:First $500 due on April 20 and second on June 1. I am seriously considering it. It would be a full-tuition gig, so I am waiting a few more weeks to see what else happens. I'd love to do a T100 if I am going to be paying full-tuition prices. SW is as much money as AU and more than Richmond...
My first $500 is due April 15th. When I asked them if they would extend it until the 26th, they said "only in cases of financial hardship."

That struck me as a bit odd. I mean, if I'm too broke to pay $500 on April 15th, how likely is it that I'll suddenly be flush with cash ten days later?

e10

New

Post by e10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 am

jjinva wrote:First $500 due on April 20 and second on June 1. I am seriously considering it. It would be a full-tuition gig, so I am waiting a few more weeks to see what else happens. I'd love to do a T100 if I am going to be paying full-tuition prices. SW is as much money as AU and more than Richmond...
Totally understand, however congrats again!
chango wrote:
My first $500 is due April 15th. When I asked them if they would extend it until the 26th, they said "only in cases of financial hardship."

That struck me as a bit odd. I mean, if I'm too broke to pay $500 on April 15th, how likely is it that I'll suddenly be flush with cash ten days later?
That is kind of funny actually...I was under the impression that their first seat deposit was due April 1st. I thought I saw it on their website?

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:36 am

e10 wrote:
Totally understand, however congrats again!
chango wrote:

That is kind of funny actually...I was under the impression that their first seat deposit was due April 1st. I thought I saw it on their website?
Apparently it's a floating deadline, since jinva was told April 20th. So that makes their reticence about extending even less tenable.
Last edited by chango on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:35 am

after a point deadlines depend on your acceptance date, usually school will do large batches of acceptances at consistent intervals (like once a week or something) to spread out deadlines so as each one passes they can send out a new batch of acceptances to make up for the amount of deposits not made

anut321

New

Post by anut321 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 pm

So far I have read on this thread that people with "final decision mailed" on their status checker have received admission at SW. Has anyone had their status changed to this and then been rejected?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the pricing of seat deposits. Glad to know that I can pay this amount now, if offered admission. I'm on the wait-list, and will be riding it out.

Cheers.

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:53 pm

probably going to forgo my offer of 20k/year and go to santa clara. cant beat their ip program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm

jpla wrote:probably going to forgo my offer of 20k/year and go to santa clara. cant beat their ip program.
Do you have a hard science background?

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:09 pm

163/3.6 wait listed about 3 weeks ago..... Yes.. I know... wtf :shock: . I have applied elsewhere but b/c of it's proximity to where I live it's one of my top choices. Anyone know of the prospects of wait listers at southwestern law?

I am still waiting on UCLA (likely REJECTION BABY!), Pepperdine and Loyola.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:163/3.6 wait listed about 3 weeks ago..... Yes.. I know... wtf :shock: . I have applied elsewhere but b/c of it's proximity to where I live it's one of my top choices. Anyone know of the prospects of wait listers at southwestern law?

YP?

DanielRogers

New

Post by DanielRogers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:40 am

joonhp wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:163/3.6 wait listed about 3 weeks ago..... Yes.. I know... wtf :shock: . I have applied elsewhere but b/c of it's proximity to where I live it's one of my top choices. Anyone know of the prospects of wait listers at southwestern law?

YP?
I'm sure. he's probably going to Pepperdine/Loyola with those numbers, so why accept a student who will likely decline an offer.

mike, did the letter ask you to write another essay? I did (I got waitlisted with a 3.3/161). I'm guessing a strong essay showing genuine interest will get you accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:39 am

DanielRogers wrote:
joonhp wrote:

YP?
I'm sure. he's probably going to Pepperdine/Loyola with those numbers, so why accept a student who will likely decline an offer.

mike, did the letter ask you to write another essay? I did (I got waitlisted with a 3.3/161). I'm guessing a strong essay showing genuine interest will get you accepted.
Ya, they asked me to write an essay answering two questions. Not my best work, but hey I only had 2 weeks and I got work. I know the first deposit is April 20th so, some people will probably opt to go elsewhere opening up some seats (hopefully, crossing fingers and knocking on wood).

Just a couple of questions:

1. Will the optional essay we wrote count as a LOCI? Or do you plan to send a LOCI later on (maybe in may)?
2. I beginning to worry about Pepperdine, Loyola and UCLA (hopeless) I have been complete since Jan. Is it appropriate to write a LOCI now? I have read it is custom to write one after you have enrolled in the wait list not before.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 am

Mike - do you live in Socal? If not that may be the reason for the WL (not sure about your seriousness). I have not heard of Southwestern ever YPing people purely for numbers. Yield is not an important metric for schools not at the very top. I'm fairly sure SW would sacrifice yield in order to attract the strongest students. Bottom line is that if you continue to express interest in SW you will almost certainly be admitted. Souhwestern takes lots of people from the waitlist up until the very start of classes.

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:14 am

Danteshek wrote:Mike - do you live in Socal? If not that may be the reason for the WL (not sure about your seriousness). I have not heard of Southwestern ever YPing people purely for numbers. Yield is not an important metric for schools not at the very top. I'm fairly sure SW would sacrifice yield in order to attract the strongest students. Bottom line is that if you continue to express interest in SW you will almost certainly be admitted. Souhwestern takes lots of people from the waitlist up until the very start of classes.

Do you suggest writing a LOCI? I have submitted the optional essay answering 2 questions. Will a LOCI be overkill?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:31 am

Wait 3-4 weeks before sending another letter. The better your reasons for wanting to attend Southwestern, the more effective your letter will be. Remember that there are plenty of students who have good reasons to be at Southwestern (over Loyola and Pepp). It's only natural for Southwestern to want to admit students who will be happy here. One grumpy, transfer-happy student can really kill the morale/learning environment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:42 am

Did you guys have to interview with SW before receiving the verdict of acceptance, rejection, or WL?

e10

New

Post by e10 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 am

I have been rejected by my 3rd school today. I have not been accepted to any.

Southwestern is my first choice, however I am from the east coast and hope they realize I would make the move for them. I have been in review since 3/25 and really hope there is a positive outcome, but because of my LSAT, most likely not.

I dont want to send them 1,000 e-mails, but at this point I don't know what to do anymore.

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:13 am

Danteshek wrote:
jpla wrote:probably going to forgo my offer of 20k/year and go to santa clara. cant beat their ip program.
Do you have a hard science background?
No

jdhopeful2010

New

Post by jdhopeful2010 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:28 am

e10 wrote:I have been rejected by my 3rd school today. I have not been accepted to any.

Southwestern is my first choice, however I am from the east coast and hope they realize I would make the move for them. I have been in review since 3/25 and really hope there is a positive outcome, but because of my LSAT, most likely not.

I dont want to send them 1,000 e-mails, but at this point I don't know what to do anymore.
Hang in there buddy! I'm with you on this one. I went into review 3/15, then got a call on 3/18 asking me about the feasibility of moving from the east coast to LA after graduation. I have been on pins and needles since then HOPING that I get in. I've gotten into a couple of other schools in SoCal, but SW is definitely my top choice. I've been fighting the urge to email evey day! Good luck!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:28 am

SoCalStudent wrote:Did you guys have to interview with SW before receiving the verdict of acceptance, rejection, or WL?
Not that I'm aware of.

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:07 pm

No interview here.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Southwestern typically interviews only SCALE and Wildman/Schumacher scholarship candidates.

rossrobert

New

Post by rossrobert » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:25 am

who else still has a status of " file complete and in review''?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”