UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GobiasIndustries

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby GobiasIndustries » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:14 pm

I got my letter yesterday as well. Status checker is still blank.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:34 pm

GobiasIndustries wrote:I got my letter yesterday as well. Status checker is still blank.

Congrats my friend!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:in via snail mail on friday.

Any one know when scholarships come?

Im out of state and out of new england, so unless they can do something to compare with the wake's 17k a year cost (they gave me an 18k year a scholarship), then I'll be giving my spot to someone else.

Keep in mind, resident tuition after 1L is dirt cheap.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Anybody else hear anything? I haven't gotten a letter- I know it's still early but I'm getting nervous...

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Anybody else hear anything? I haven't gotten a letter- I know it's still early but I'm getting nervous...

I emailed the admissions office on friday and was told that they are behind in terms of processing and reviewing applications. So I guess we just need to be patient. :|

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:25 pm

moandersen wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Anybody else hear anything? I haven't gotten a letter- I know it's still early but I'm getting nervous...

I emailed the admissions office on friday and was told that they are behind in terms of processing and reviewing applications. So I guess we just need to be patient. :|

I've been patient, and it doesn't come naturally to me.

Did they indicate when a batch might go out? It looks like last year a big batch went out around 2/3 - 2/5.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm

kalvano wrote:I've been patient, and it doesn't come naturally to me.

Did they indicate when a batch might go out? It looks like last year a big batch went out around 2/3 - 2/5.

Unfortunately no. Im still waiting for the 'complete' confirmation. Maybe the adcoms are too busy trying to figure out why uconn's mens basketball team has been sucking it up. come on uconn! you are better than that!

TUhustler

Postby TUhustler » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 pm

moandersen wrote:

Unfortunately no. Im still waiting for the 'complete' confirmation. Maybe the adcoms are too busy trying to figure out why uconn's mens basketball team has been sucking it up. come on uconn! you are better than that!

Maybe they should have started looking at our apps as they went complete and not starting in January.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 am

TUhustler wrote:
moandersen wrote:

Maybe they should have started looking at our apps as they went complete and not starting in January.

+1. For them to be 'behind' at this point is sort of ridiculous. Wtf have they been doing in the UConn Law admissions office in the 3 months since I submitted my application? I was patient until they started sounding like flakey slackers..."Oh, our committee hasn't exactly met yet, but we've totally been, like, reviewing stuff this whole time. We're just, you know, a little behind." I'm starting to get a little irritated.

chisoxfan

Postby chisoxfan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 am

Agreed. Seriously UConn: what are you doing? You told me at your prospective students weekend that you'd start looking at apps in December and making decisions January 1. Apparently you were just toying with my emotions. As a Nutmeg-er at heart who just wants to move home and get a law degree, you're not making this very easy for me.

To all the others not-so-patiently waiting with me: hopefully we'll all hear soon! UConn should be a safety for me 164/3.5x, so...

On a side note, does anyone know how stingy/generous Uconn is with the first year grants for out of staters?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm kindof worried about Connecticut. Look at their "Law School Description" on LSAC. It shows their applicant pool, and no matter how far above their medians you are, it still seems to be about a 70/30 shot. For example 165-169, and 3.75+ was only 16/24. Apparently, they really do look beyond the numbers.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Does anyone know why, according to the application, the New England tuition does not extend to residents of Maine?

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Did anyone else apply for both (full-time & part-time) divisions?

I'm confident that my application and numbers could get me into the full-time division, but afraid that because I applied to both they might throw me in part-time.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:32 am

Geist13 wrote:Does anyone know why, according to the application, the New England tuition does not extend to residents of Maine?

My guess is that because UMaine has a law school and is a state school, UConn doesn't extend the tuition benefit to Mainers. (UMass, URI, UNH, and UVM don't have law schools.) Again, that's just a guess- for all I know, Maine residents actually do get the NE tuition...

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:I'm kindof worried about Connecticut. Look at their "Law School Description" on LSAC. It shows their applicant pool, and no matter how far above their medians you are, it still seems to be about a 70/30 shot. For example 165-169, and 3.75+ was only 16/24. Apparently, they really do look beyond the numbers.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world.

+1. I really want to go to UConn, and my numbers are definitely good compared to their medians, but in my mind it is by no means a sure thing.

mes2010

Postby mes2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 am

Same... Uconn is my top choice and I'm very unsure on my chances. Based on LSN so far, it looks like I'm going for rejection/waitlist...

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Complete via status checker (or so I think). They [finally] checked all my requirement boxes. Hopefully this means im in review and will get a decision soon. Start pumping out those acceptances uconn!

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I applied for part-time and full-time. My numbers are good enough to get me into full-time, but I'm worried they'll throw me in part-time. Can and should I withdraw from consideration for part-time? Please advise.

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 pm

would you still consider attending if you got into the evening program? if so, then i wouldn't withdraw. But, if you're absoloutely sure you would only attend on a full-time basis then i suppose it wouldn't hurt to withdraw. i personally don't think applying to both divisions will alter your chances at the day program, but if you would only attend ft anyway you might as well avoid the risk.

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:12 pm

the uconn website says, "As a public institution, the School gives special consideration, though not an absolute preference, to residents of Connecticut." Does anyone know how much this comes into play? I looked at LSN to see if i could find a pattern amongst ct residents, but came up empy handed. Anyone have any other information on this, or stories from previous applicants?

do you think this would only help a ct resident gain admission over an out of state applicant if their numbers are the same? or would it potentially allow a candidate to "jump" another applicant even though their numbers are lower? I doubt anyone can provide a definitive answer, but all thoughts are welcome/appreciated.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:32 pm

nj05nets wrote:the uconn website says, "As a public institution, the School gives special consideration, though not an absolute preference, to residents of Connecticut." Does anyone know how much this comes into play? I looked at LSN to see if i could find a pattern amongst ct residents, but came up empy handed. Anyone have any other information on this, or stories from previous applicants?

do you think this would only help a ct resident gain admission over an out of state applicant if their numbers are the same? or would it potentially allow a candidate to "jump" another applicant even though their numbers are lower? I doubt anyone can provide a definitive answer, but all thoughts are welcome/appreciated.

From what I understand (from having friends at the undergrad and business school at UConn) there is a minimum percentage of CT residents that must be accepted, like a quota. Keep in mind that this is totally anecdotal, and I can't find any official policy on the UConn site that backs it up, but supposedly a quota is in place to ensure that the CT tax dollars that support the school are being spent to educate CT residents. Even if this were true though, I would also assume that adcomms are seeking to fill the incoming class with a diverse body of students, so it might also be beneficial for candidates to be from other states, regions, and countries.

I guess the short way of saying all that is "I actually have no idea."

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 pm

I figured that there was a quota, but couldn't find anything mentioning such on the school site. Does this apply to the part-time program as well? It would seem that the night division would almost exclusively be made up of in-state residents who already have established jobs and/or families.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Got an email from Rachele Torres this morning stating that my app is complete. I already figured that out, but it was nice to hear from them.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 pm

IN!!!! I am ridiculously excited!!! I almost cried when I opened the envelope!!! Good luck to everyone else who is waiting, and to anyone who thinks they're probably attending in the fall, I will almost definitely see you there! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 pm

moandersen wrote:Got an email from Rachele Torres this morning stating that my app is complete. I already figured that out, but it was nice to hear from them.

Will they review your app without the dean cert?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”