UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mixitup

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby mixitup » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 pm

JUST got in at UConn. Really like it on paper, it was my first choice going in, but I have never visited. I'm deciding between UConn (out of state), Case$$, Catholic$, and Villanova. I asked about this on another thread, but need as much advice as possible especially from those of you who know a lot more about UConn than I do since I haven't visited yet (I have visited Case and Catholic though).

I won't be able to go to ASD, but am hoping to be able to come a few days after ; however, I'm traveling from NC, so its going to be tough because I want to visit Nova is possible too. I applied late so these late acceptances are my own darn fault but its making the decision process difficult!

My family lives in Cleveland, but they've only been there like 2 years, and I don't like it there, but know its a good school and probably my cheapest option. I'd like to end up in DC but also love Boston (DC is preferable though).

Any advice/info anyone has as to how you made your decision or anything really would be MUCH appreciated!

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Just send my withdrawal from the wait list. Good luck to everyone else.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 pm

Hey, I need opinions. I found an apartment in Ellington for a good price that includes all utilities. According to Google maps, it's 25 minutes away from campus. Would you guys sacrifice proximity for a good price of a decent apartment??? Not sure if I want to drive that far everyday for law school.

I would've posted this in the UConn 2013 thread, but no one seems to have responded to my last post there :oops:

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:29 pm

That is really far away (bc CT is so small). And, during rush hour, the UConn Law area can get really "trafficy". I definitely wouldn't do it.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks for the input Snoopy! I don't know the area at all, so thought it better to ask. But the more I look at it on Google maps, it does seem really far. It's 19.2 miles away from the law school! That would cost me a lot of gas money. It might make more sense to pay a bit more for something within walking distance and save money on gas, it might balance out.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:56 pm

I agree. Ellington is too far. But that doesn't mean you have to be within walking distance. Look for places in Farmington, Avon, West Hartford, and other similar suburbs and you might find some very good deals on apartments.

Also, again, don't worry! I'm sure you will find something soon! :)

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Does anyone know if the deposit at UConn is binding?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:52 pm

lawyerlover wrote:Does anyone know if the deposit at UConn is binding?

The initial deposit is due on the 'commitment deadline,' which is April 15th. The second deposit, 'for those who will join us in the fall,' is due by June 1st. Neither deposit is refundable.

If you mean binding as in you would somehow get in trouble for paying the deposit and then deciding not to attend, no- you can pay the first deposit and then change your mind. You just don't get any money back.

Emac

Postby Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 am

HURRAY! BEST CALL AT WORK EVER!

I just received a phone call at work from the U Conn admissions office. She congratulated me on being accepted, and invited me to the open house on Saturday. Unfortunately, I cannot attend the event this weekend, but I have a trip planned to visit the campus on 4/20. I won't find out about scholarships for a couple of weeks, but U Conn, even at full price, easily beats out a full ride at St. Johns.

I won't see y'all this weekend, but I look forward to meeting you this fall!

rjp88

Postby rjp88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Emac wrote:HURRAY! BEST CALL AT WORK EVER!

I just received a phone call at work from the U Conn admissions office. She congratulated me on being accepted, and invited me to the open house on Saturday. Unfortunately, I cannot attend the event this weekend, but I have a trip planned to visit the campus on 4/20. I won't find out about scholarships for a couple of weeks, but U Conn, even at full price, easily beats out a full ride at St. Johns.

Congrats! Awesome news! Just thought I'd let you know that I just heard from the UConn admissions office that all their scholarships have been awarded. Hopefully more will become available as they get more responses after the 15th. Hope you like your visit to the campus!!

Emac

Postby Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:18 pm

rjp88 wrote:
Emac wrote:HURRAY! BEST CALL AT WORK EVER!

Congrats! Awesome news! Just thought I'd let you know that I just heard from the UConn admissions office that all their scholarships have been awarded. Hopefully more will become available as they get more responses after the 15th. Hope you like your visit to the campus!!

Thanks! I asked the admissions lady if they were all out of merit aid, and she said they still had some available and that it hadn't been "finalized"...I hope that means they can give me some of the money awarded to students who have withdrawn their apps. I really want $20K so I can pay in-state tuition my first year. Say a prayer to the scholarship gods and hope they bless me with $$$$.

Gymnast0206

Postby Gymnast0206 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Received a phone call from UConn admissions a few hours ago! It's one of the lower schools on my list, but it is absolutely beautiful. Does anyone know how successfully UConn grads compete against Yale grads? I'm worried about placement . . .

Emac

Postby Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:14 pm

I need to rent a house / duplex with a fenced yard. I am willing to drive up to 20 minutes to get to campus. Any neighborhood / town recommendations would be much appreciated.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Emac wrote:I need to rent a house / duplex with a fenced yard. I am willing to drive up to 20 minutes to get to campus. Any neighborhood / town recommendations would be much appreciated.

When I was up there, I didn't see a ton of fenced yards, but try Farmington, New Britain, Bolton. Seemed like the best bet.

I also saw some on the Hartford / West Hartford border.

Emac

Postby Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:26 pm

kalvano wrote:
Emac wrote:I need to rent a house / duplex with a fenced yard. I am willing to drive up to 20 minutes to get to campus. Any neighborhood / town recommendations would be much appreciated.

When I was up there, I didn't see a ton of fenced yards, but try Farmington, New Britain, Bolton. Seemed like the best bet.

I also saw some on the Hartford / West Hartford border.

Thanks for the suggestions!

mwk

Postby mwk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:10 pm

West Hartford may have something and would be really close. You could probably find something in Farmington or Newington and only be about 15 minutes away. Other possibilities would be Avon, New Britain, Wethersfield, and Glastonbury, all of which would be pushing 20 minutes. FWIW I'll be commuting from Southington, which is a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic. There are a lot of multi-families in the area with fenced-in yards (I used to live in one), but the commute is a little long and you should be able to find something closer.

Emac

Postby Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 pm

mwk wrote:

West Hartford may have something and would be really close. You could probably find something in Farmington or Newington and only be about 15 minutes away. Other possibilities would be Avon, New Britain, Wethersfield, and Glastonbury, all of which would be pushing 20 minutes. FWIW I'll be commuting from Southington, which is a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic. There are a lot of multi-families in the area with fenced-in yards (I used to live in one), but the commute is a little long and you should be able to find something closer.

Great tips! Thanks!

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Has anyone received any info on ASD? What time does it start?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:52 am

kaydish21 wrote:Has anyone received any info on ASD? What time does it start?

EDIT:

For those of you joining us, breakfast at the Dean's house will begin at 10:00am. We are hopeful breakfast allows you a chance to speak with the Dean, faculty, and each other. The address is 20 Northmoor Road, West Hartford, CT 06117. You are welcome to park in the driveway or on the street.

Registration for the formal program will begin at 10:30am.

The Formal Program will begin at 11:15am. The event will take place in the Reading Room of the William F. Starr building located at 45 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT.

Agenda

11:15am Welcome
11:20am Semester in DC Program Overview, Professor Richard Parker
11:30am Mock Class, Professor Michael Fischl
12:00pm Student Panel
12:45pm Alumni Panel
1:30pm Tours

The Student Finance Office will be open from 10:30am until 2:00pm.
The Bookstore will be open from 10:00am until 3:00pm. We do have coupons for those interested in purchasing Uconn Law school items. The store also has UConn Women's Basketball championship shirts.

Directions to the Law School can be found at http://law.mhsoftware.com/

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:00 pm

I had no idea the breakfast was at the Dean's home!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:14 pm

AustinOrgans wrote:I had no idea the breakfast was at the Dean's home!

He must have a massive breakfast nook.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Should we be bringing something to take notes in at ASD??

What time does breakfast at the Dean's house end at? My mother will have my car at the time, so I need to ask her to pick me up. A bit confused by the timings, as registration begins at 10:30, I mean is breakfast just like 15 minutes long then? lol

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:Should we be bringing something to take notes in at ASD??

What time does breakfast at the Dean's house end at? My mother will have my car at the time, so I need to ask her to pick me up. A bit confused by the timings, as registration begins at 10:30, I mean is breakfast just like 15 minutes long then? lol

The original invite said breakfast is from 10-11. Now that I see registration is so early, it seems you can leave breakfast at your own discretion and it's more of a drop-by kind of thing? Also google maps says its a 4-6 minute drive from the Dean's house to the law school (1.7 miles) so even if you do leave at 11 you probably will still make it in time for registration and the rest of the program. The timing is confusing...

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info Burger. :)

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:59 pm

kaydish21 wrote:Thanks for the info Burger. :)

No problem. Out of curiosity, are you considering UConn? Your profile makes it seem like you are pretty set on going to school in NYC...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”