UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 am

Burger in a can wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Though I prefer that weather.


Yeah dude I worked a full shift standing outside yesterday and if you ask me, it was pretty nice out! I find the rain refreshing.

Then again, I sleep with the windows open in January. I like to see my breath just before I drift off to dreamland. :mrgreen:



I put my house on the market, so I am really hoping to sell it. At least get over to the East Coast. It's already pushing 80 here.

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

When do we start picking classes?

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:11 am

nycparalegal wrote:When do we start picking classes?


For our first semester, I'm pretty sure that we don't.

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:18 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:When do we start picking classes?


For our first semester, I'm pretty sure that we don't.


we can't pick the times or anything at all??? I hope I have no classes on Friday. That would be NICE!

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 pm

I get the impression that we're assigned a section, and everyone in each section has basically the same schedule. Here's what a current 2L said about it in the thread entitled, 'UConn 2L taking questions':

For your 1L year, the incoming class is broken up into 2 sections. Each section will be between 60 - 70 students depending on the incoming class size. You'll never have a class with the other section during 1L year, except during your 1 elective class that you get to choose second semester. You'll take 4 classes each semester and 3 of those classes will be with your entire section and 1 of those classes will be a small class with about 15 students. After 1L year you choose your own schedule and class size will be determined by who signs up for class, it can range from 10 people to 70 people. Seminar classes (easy A's) are restricted to no more than 16 people.


link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=97508

EDIT: For what it's worth, to my understanding this is the way it works at almost every law school in the country...

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Burger in a can wrote:I get the impression that we're assigned a section, and everyone in each section has basically the same schedule. Here's what a current 2L said about it in the thread entitled, 'UConn 2L taking questions':

For your 1L year, the incoming class is broken up into 2 sections. Each section will be between 60 - 70 students depending on the incoming class size. You'll never have a class with the other section during 1L year, except during your 1 elective class that you get to choose second semester. You'll take 4 classes each semester and 3 of those classes will be with your entire section and 1 of those classes will be a small class with about 15 students. After 1L year you choose your own schedule and class size will be determined by who signs up for class, it can range from 10 people to 70 people. Seminar classes (easy A's) are restricted to no more than 16 people.


link: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =4&t=97508

EDIT: For what it's worth, to my understanding this is the way it works at almost every law school in the country...


What if one section has friday classes and the other doesn't? :o that could lead to a lot of animosity lol :o

chisoxfan
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby chisoxfan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:What if one section has friday classes and the other doesn't? :o that could lead to a lot of animosity lol :o


Doesn't appear to be the case. The time schedules on line have most of the sections around the same time, with all of the criminal law sections meeting Tues/Thurs from 11-12:30. ]

I guess you'll live to have Fridays free. :)

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:54 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
moandersen wrote:
My fiance and I left the northeast 2 days earlier than expected due to the craptastic weather. :?



Well no offense, but if you can't stand 2 days of chilly rain, then you don't belong anywhere near New England...

P.S. But sorry to hear you had a bad time. The good news is that you found out that you don't really want to go to UConn, which is the purpose of visiting, right? :) Where do you think you'll end up now?


None taken, but Im pretty 'weatherized' from living in chicago. Connecticut doesnt have much in terms of severe cold in the winter and stupidly hot and humid in the summer like chicago, so I was somewhat looking forward to the climate relief. I just seemed to check out uconn at probably the worst possible time imaginable I guess. While I wont withdraw quite yet, it has been bumped down the totem pole. I am incredibly glad I visited though. WF is where I am hoping I will end up. I was waitlisted at wisconsin, but I really dont want to go some place colder than chicago. as you can tell, weather plays an important part of my decision because it is directly correlated to my happiness. :mrgreen:

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 pm

moandersen wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
moandersen wrote:
My fiance and I left the northeast 2 days earlier than expected due to the craptastic weather. :?



Well no offense, but if you can't stand 2 days of chilly rain, then you don't belong anywhere near New England...

P.S. But sorry to hear you had a bad time. The good news is that you found out that you don't really want to go to UConn, which is the purpose of visiting, right? :) Where do you think you'll end up now?


None taken, but Im pretty 'weatherized' from living in chicago. Connecticut doesnt have much in terms of severe cold in the winter and stupidly hot and humid in the summer like chicago, so I was somewhat looking forward to the climate relief. I just seemed to check out uconn at probably the worst possible time imaginable I guess. While I wont withdraw quite yet, it has been bumped down the totem pole. I am incredibly glad I visited though. WF is where I am hoping I will end up. I was waitlisted at wisconsin, but I really dont want to go some place colder than chicago. as you can tell, weather plays an important part of my decision because it is directly correlated to my happiness. :mrgreen:


Whoa- I think I forgot that you're from Chicago. On behalf of my state, I concede to your claim for nastier all around weather! I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Chicago in the winter, although it obviously has a reputation for being insanely terrible. I have, however, been stuck in a traffic jam there in July, and I wasn't sure whether I would get out of there before bursting into flames. So again, I'm sorry for implying that you couldn't handle our weather out here! :) I think I thought you were from some place like California... :P

novaUGuconnPG
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby novaUGuconnPG » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:48 am

my tour guide told me that uconn actually strives to not schedule classes on friday. i actually haven't scheduled class on a friday since sophomore year (2 full years ago), so i think i made the right choice with uconn. not sure i could make it to a friday class at this point...

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:52 am

novaUGuconnPG wrote:my tour guide told me that uconn actually strives to not schedule classes on friday. i actually haven't scheduled class on a friday since sophomore year (2 full years ago), so i think i made the right choice with uconn. not sure i could make it to a friday class at this point...


awesome. that way I can visit home once in a while. I live 4 hours away from home, so it'd be nice to leave early on a Friday.

User avatar
ClaireBear
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby ClaireBear » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Just got the letter last night and I'm in! Still waiting on some reach schools before I make my final decision but I'm leaning heavily towards UCONN (the in state tuition is a huge motivator).

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby nycparalegal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:41 am

I visited the school today - beautiful campus but crappy area. I spoke with a current 3L who said that about maybe half of the 3L class graduating had jobs lined up, and the vast majority of those jobs where in CT.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Emma1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:11 am

I don't think UCONN is IN a crappy area but it is an urban setting and borders kind of a sketchy area on one side. There are many nice areas near the school though as it also borders West Hartfford which is great.

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby kaydish21 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 pm

How many of you are going to the ASD at UConn on April 10th? Has UConn already had a ASD? If so, what did you think if you attended?

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:31 am

I started calling for apartments on Craigslist, and most say that the apartments will be taken soon. I mean why are other people moving to Hartford in April? :? Will there be more apartments opening up around July/August for students? I'm worried that if I don't sign on something now, then I will be homeless come August! What are you guys planning on doing??

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:I started calling for apartments on Craigslist, and most say that the apartments will be taken soon. I mean why are other people moving to Hartford in April? :? Will there be more apartments opening up around July/August for students? I'm worried that if I don't sign on something now, then I will be homeless come August! What are you guys planning on doing??


It does seem to be getting competitive already. I looked at an apartment this morning that was just listed like 3 days ago, and there were 4 or 5 other people scheduled to see it today too. IDK why other people are trying to move to the area right now. I wish we could have access to this mysterious housing list that I heard about...

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Burger in a can wrote:It does seem to be getting competitive already. I looked at an apartment this morning that was just listed like 3 days ago, and there were 4 or 5 other people scheduled to see it today too. IDK why other people are trying to move to the area right now. I wish we could have access to this mysterious housing list that I heard about...


oh no :( Now I'm more scared. Cause I live hours away, so it's not like I can look at an apartment whenever I feel like it! What should I do?! I'm freaking out. I don't want to end up in the bad areas of town cause I couldn't find anything. But I can't afford to pay rent for an apartment for the next few months when I don't need it! This is very very sucky. DO you think more places will open up in June or so????

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby champ33 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:It does seem to be getting competitive already. I looked at an apartment this morning that was just listed like 3 days ago, and there were 4 or 5 other people scheduled to see it today too. IDK why other people are trying to move to the area right now. I wish we could have access to this mysterious housing list that I heard about...



Did you see these other people? It's very common in my experience to have those working in real estate, and even more so those trying to rent out parts of their houses, to lie to you without fail about other people pressuring them and making offers... but they "really like you" so will give you a chance first if you can tell them today, etc etc.. anything to pressure you into a quick decision. In a city like Hartford I would not worry about places being available year-round.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:41 pm

champ33 wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:It does seem to be getting competitive already. I looked at an apartment this morning that was just listed like 3 days ago, and there were 4 or 5 other people scheduled to see it today too. IDK why other people are trying to move to the area right now. I wish we could have access to this mysterious housing list that I heard about...



Did you see these other people? It's very common in my experience to have those working in real estate, and even more so those trying to rent out parts of their houses, to lie to you without fail about other people pressuring them and making offers... but they "really like you" so will give you a chance first if you can tell them today, etc etc.. anything to pressure you into a quick decision. In a city like Hartford I would not worry about places being available year-round.


Yeah I saw them. Stupid apartment stealers. I saw them in the flesh. :evil:

Also, to Lighthouse- I imagine that there will actually be MORE apartments available in June than there are now. Don't worry!

novaUGuconnPG
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby novaUGuconnPG » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:35 pm

couple things: just talked to admissions office who assured me that many apartments are not listed because they arent opening/lease isn't up until june/july. more apartments will be added to "the list" during the summer so i feel slightly better than i did 20 minute ago. also, on the topic of ASD, does anybody have an idea about what the recommended attire is? casual? business casual? shirt and tie? thanks

lawyerlover
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby lawyerlover » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:23 pm

has anyone tried negotiating for more financial aid here?
I am thinking about it and am curious if anyone has been successful.

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:25 pm

novaUGuconnPG wrote:couple things: just talked to admissions office who assured me that many apartments are not listed because they arent opening/lease isn't up until june/july. more apartments will be added to "the list" during the summer so i feel slightly better than i did 20 minute ago. also, on the topic of ASD, does anybody have an idea about what the recommended attire is? casual? business casual? shirt and tie? thanks


how do we get access to "the list" when we don't have a NET ID or password yet?! Please let me know!!!

novaUGuconnPG
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby novaUGuconnPG » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

lighthouse- i put it in quotes because i have no idea myself! right now it is merely a mythical concept

User avatar
Emac
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Emac » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:11 pm

novaUGuconnPG wrote:couple things: just talked to admissions office who assured me that many apartments are not listed because they arent opening/lease isn't up until june/july. more apartments will be added to "the list" during the summer so i feel slightly better than i did 20 minute ago. also, on the topic of ASD, does anybody have an idea about what the recommended attire is? casual? business casual? shirt and tie? thanks


Definitely wear something with sequins...do you have a Bedazzler?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, lillawyer2, tinafeyclone and 5 guests