UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cjr1298

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby cjr1298 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:31 pm

Bobalou wrote:So it seems like there is a general inconsistency in how the applications are handled?

I would say so, I'm sure I only received my status checker when I did because they happened to integrate them into their system at that point in the cycle- based on what I'm hearing, it seems like now they may actually wait for the completion to send you the status checker. But if you're worried, you should just call or email.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:58 am

I already posted this in the other UConn thread, but it looks like the most recent employment stats are on their site: --LinkRemoved--

(class of 2009, updated March 3rd)

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Burger in a can wrote:I already posted this in the other UConn thread, but it looks like the most recent employment stats are on their site: --LinkRemoved--

looks like some of the most thorough salary info i've seen from any school, and seems the class of 2009 did quite well overall.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:07 pm

champ33 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:I already posted this in the other UConn thread, but it looks like the most recent employment stats are on their site: --LinkRemoved--

looks like some of the most thorough salary info i've seen from any school, and seems the class of 2009 did quite well overall.

yup. but we cant put too much stock in those #s since they will be different for us.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

moandersen wrote:
champ33 wrote:

yup. but we cant put too much stock in those #s since they will be different for us.

Oh yeah- I forgot that the class of 2009 entered law school in 2006, before this whole economic disaster really got rolling. So this slight decline in employment stats maybe reflects that this was just the tip of the iceberg... it's the class of 2010 and class of 2011 that is really screwed (and hopefully not the class of 2013!)

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't know, '09 was pretty horrific, right? My husband's firm laid off 50% of their staff and associate attorneys in '09 and 'black thursday' was in 2009:
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/02/13/mak ... b/article/

qualster

Postby qualster » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:26 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
moandersen wrote:
champ33 wrote:

Oh yeah- I forgot that the class of 2009 entered law school in 2006, before this whole economic disaster really got rolling. So this slight decline in employment stats maybe reflects that this was just the tip of the iceberg... it's the class of 2010 and class of 2011 that is really screwed (and hopefully not the class of 2013!)

The classes of 2013 and 2014 will be just fine. The classes of 2009, '10, '11, '12 just weren't realistic and hubris abounded during their application cycles. I believe that the class of 2013 is especially realistic, humble and classy, so it will likely be rewarded by the universe with good fortune.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:50 am

cjr1298 wrote:I don't know, '09 was pretty horrific, right? My husband's firm laid off 50% of their staff and associate attorneys in '09 and 'black thursday' was in 2009:
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/02/13/mak ... b/article/

Right, but my point was that a large portion of the class of 2009 could have gotten their jobs in 2007, since that's when their OCI would have been. So the stats for the classes of 2011 and 2012 will be interesting because their on-campus interviews took place in 2009.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:08 pm

yeah, no you're right, I thought about that after I wrote it, in '07 everything was peachy keen, the meltdown didn't start until the spring of '08, it just seems so much longer . . .

Funny story I must share, a friend graduated in the top 25% of his class at George Mason last year, he was not hired, and was trying to fake bartender/waiter experience on his resume to find a paying job of some sort!
He did ultimately find a job in the legal profession in CT, but it was a struggle.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:04 pm

cjr1298 wrote:[strike]Funny[/strike]HORRIFYING story I must share, a friend graduated in the top 25% of his class at George Mason last year, he was not hired, and was trying to fake bartender/waiter experience on his resume to find a paying job of some sort!

FTFY

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 am

It was funny because he couldn't get the job as a bartender and he was really bummed out. :)

chisoxfan

Postby chisoxfan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:19 am

Ok, a random question about working in law school. Some schools say absolutely not, and then some - like UConn - offer work study. I was wandering around the UConn library yesterday cause I was in the area and decided to stop by and the guy working the circ desk says that most of the 1L students who work end up working in the library. I know that people recommend against working in your 1L year, but if that's really such an awful thing, why would some schools offer work study at all? I'm just a little confused about that.

msfarley

Postby msfarley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:41 pm

chisoxfan wrote:Ok, a random question about working in law school. Some schools say absolutely not, and then some - like UConn - offer work study. I was wandering around the UConn library yesterday cause I was in the area and decided to stop by and the guy working the circ desk says that most of the 1L students who work end up working in the library. I know that people recommend against working in your 1L year, but if that's really such an awful thing, why would some schools offer work study at all? I'm just a little confused about that.

In my financial aid package I was offered $3k of work study. I was talking to a current student about it today and he said you have to work a ton of hours because the pay is only around $7-8 per hour. Doesn't seem worth it for 3k that is a lot of hours!

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 pm

msfarley wrote:
chisoxfan wrote:Ok, a random question about working in law school. Some schools say absolutely not, and then some - like UConn - offer work study. I was wandering around the UConn library yesterday cause I was in the area and decided to stop by and the guy working the circ desk says that most of the 1L students who work end up working in the library. I know that people recommend against working in your 1L year, but if that's really such an awful thing, why would some schools offer work study at all? I'm just a little confused about that.

In my financial aid package I was offered $3k of work study. I was talking to a current student about it today and he said you have to work a ton of hours because the pay is only around $7-8 per hour. Doesn't seem worth it for 3k that is a lot of hours!

Thanks for the info. I also got $3,000 of work study, but I decided I'd only do it if it were a max of 10 hours a week because I don't want to sacrifice my studying time. I guess I'll pass and take out loans for that 3K instead. When you're gonna be in a lot of debt anyway, I guess what's another 3k? lol

pam920

Postby pam920 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 am

Got the letter Friday - waitlisted. Sigh. I sent in my updated resume - got an internship working in the PD's office since my December graduation, and have started thinking about my LOCI.

I guess I'll take the LSAT again if I don't get in. Was waitlisted at Cardozo also, but I want UConn (and my chances may be better there, I think) - I hate NYC. Anyone know anything about UConn's waitlist stats?

mwk

Postby mwk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 am

pam920 wrote:Got the letter Friday - waitlisted. Sigh. I sent in my updated resume - got an internship working in the PD's office since my December graduation, and have started thinking about my LOCI.

I guess I'll take the LSAT again if I don't get in. Was waitlisted at Cardozo also, but I want UConn (and my chances may be better there, I think) - I hate NYC. Anyone know anything about UConn's waitlist stats?

When did you apply, and did you apply to the part-time program also or just full-time? We have similar numbers and I'm just wondering whether I should be expecting a decision soon.

pam920

Postby pam920 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:15 am

mwk wrote:
pam920 wrote:Got the letter Friday - waitlisted. Sigh. I sent in my updated resume - got an internship working in the PD's office since my December graduation, and have started thinking about my LOCI.

When did you apply, and did you apply to the part-time program also or just full-time? We have similar numbers and I'm just wondering whether I should be expecting a decision soon.

Didn't apply to part-time program. Went complete early February.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 am

it has now been a full week since my requirements have disappeared. Hopefully the (good?) news comes today. For those that have been accepted recently, when is your deposit date? Im just going through some hypothetical situations and want to add the deposit date as a factor. Thanks.

msfarley

Postby msfarley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 am

moandersen wrote:it has now been a full week since my requirements have disappeared. Hopefully the (good?) news comes today. For those that have been accepted recently, when is your deposit date? Im just going through some hypothetical situations and want to add the deposit date as a factor. Thanks.

I think mine said $250 by April 15th.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm still keeping UConn as a maybe because it's so much cheaper than my other option. However, I'd be sacrificing in pretty much every way except financially to go there, and I don't think that kind of an imbalance is worth it just to save some money on school. So, barring any major changes in the next week or so, I'll probably be freeing up my spot and $$ for someone :)

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:12 pm

IN! :mrgreen:

But I only have till April 15 to make a decision.... I was hoping the late acceptance would push back the deposit date. Man. decisions, decisions.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:15 pm

moandersen wrote:IN! :mrgreen:

But I only have till April 15 to make a decision.... I was hoping the late acceptance would push back the deposit date. Man. decisions, decisions.

NICE! Congrats! You've been waiting a long time for some good news! :D

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:34 pm

What are my chances at this point (in all of your opinions...)

gpa: 3.8
lsat: 156 (shitty - please don't comment...I'm still bitter!)

STRONG softs - Masters in Int'l Relations, 2 years full-time work experience in a law firm out of undergrad, lots of leadership (and not just president of a lame duck student org), etc.

24 yrs. old

My file went complete 2/1. I'm going CRAZY. Any thoughts?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

NICE! Congrats! You've been waiting a long time for some good news! :D

thanks burger. my fiance and I will be visiting next week (we cant make it to ASD). Can you spare some wisdom about where to stay/eat/visit while in hartford? It will be our spring break (we work at a high school) and the soon-to-be mrs. wants to make a 'vacation' out of it. We have never been to NE before. You can PM me or reply here.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Congrats! I guessed that there would be some good news by now!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”