UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm

Emma1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Emma1 wrote:"4) The 2L leading the tour was very bleak in her thoughts on job prospects. She said basically you need to be T10 in the class or else it will be very difficult."

Let's hope she is wrong! If you have to be top 10 percent to get a job then what are so many people doing going to law school? Was she talking about Big Law? Unfortunately there are too many attorneys nationwide.

Thanks for the great pictures and information

No, she meant actual T10 in the class.

I don't think it is that bad out there:) There have to be more people than that who have personal connections to get a job LOL( although still worried)[/quote]

I think the problem is that, yeah, it's the best public school in the region, but the region has so many super private schools.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Well, what's the point of going to law school if you can't find work afterwards?

mwk

Postby mwk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:This is stupid. Hartford is not the poorest city in anything. You have Detroit, Oakland, Bronx, Dade County, etc. Then, for Htfd (since I have been there many times) you have some of the richest people in CT living in old-money neighborhoods... Hartford is no where close to "awful" or "2nd poorest".

As stated, Hartford is the second-poorest city by poverty rate. By per-capita income, it's not even close. I've also seen it listed among the most dangerous cities on some lists, and again not even close on others. There are plenty of places in and around Hartford that are gorgeous, quiet, even upscale neighborhoods. But if you have half a brain and some common sense, it's not terribly difficult to avoid trouble in whatever city you're in. I've spent plenty of time in Hartford (I worked an overnight shift in downtown Hartford for a while) and never had any trouble at all.

Also, the Bronx and Dade County are not cities.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Well, what's the point of going to law school if you can't find work afterwards?

lol.

WELCOME TO THE QUESTION OF OUR GENERATION.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:24 pm

mwk wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:This is stupid. Hartford is not the poorest city in anything. You have Detroit, Oakland, Bronx, Dade County, etc. Then, for Htfd (since I have been there many times) you have some of the richest people in CT living in old-money neighborhoods... Hartford is no where close to "awful" or "2nd poorest".

As stated, Hartford is the second-poorest city by poverty rate. By per-capita income, it's not even close. I've also seen it listed among the most dangerous cities on some lists, and again not even close on others. There are plenty of places in and around Hartford that are gorgeous, quiet, even upscale neighborhoods. But if you have half a brain and some common sense, it's not terribly difficult to avoid trouble in whatever city you're in. I've spent plenty of time in Hartford (I worked an overnight shift in downtown Hartford for a while) and never had any trouble at all.

I'm not saying it's a dangerous cesspool, someone waiting around every corner to mug and rape you, then dump your body in a ditch.

I'm just saying there are a lot more poorer sections than nicer sections. But you can tell they are working to change it, just not there yet.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Well, what's the point of going to law school if you can't find work afterwards?

lol.

Seriously, I've been considering UCONN because of their clinics, but if I can't find a job from the school then I think I'm going to re-think my future plans.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm

kalvano wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Emma1 wrote:"4) The 2L leading the tour was very bleak in her thoughts on job prospects. She said basically you need to be T10 in the class or else it will be very difficult."

Let's hope she is wrong! If you have to be top 10 percent to get a job then what are so many people doing going to law school? Was she talking about Big Law? Unfortunately there are too many attorneys nationwide.

Thanks for the great pictures and information

No, she meant actual T10 in the class.

I don't think it is that bad out there:) There have to be more people than that who have personal connections to get a job LOL( although still worried)

I think the problem is that, yeah, it's the best public school in the region, but the region has so many super private schools.[/quote

True, but have you asked admissions what their employment rate was for last year? I think the figure they give you is for a 12 month period after graduation. Also would like to know what job offers are there for the current class. I am hearing 50% to 60% employed in some law schools that are in a worse situation than UConn and I thought that was bad.
Last edited by Emma1 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:40 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:

lol.

Seriously, I've been considering UCONN because of their clinics, but if I can't find a job from the school then I think I'm going to re-think my future plans.

I don't know what your situation is in terms of the schools you have to choose from, but you should be aware that attending any school outside of the top 25 or so is not going to guarantee you a job, especially in this economy. There are even some students in the top 3 schools in the country who will graduate unemployed. This forum is full of such doom and gloom if you care to read up on it.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm really worried about finding a place to live. I hope I'll get enough in loans to find a decent place to live, where I can sleep at night without worrying about robbers or something. Can someone tell me what streets to absolutely avoid when trying to find an apartment? I'm going next month on April 9 to look for a place to live. Thanks!

mwk

Postby mwk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
mwk wrote:

I'm not saying it's a dangerous cesspool, someone waiting around every corner to mug and rape you, then dump your body in a ditch.

I'm just saying there are a lot more poorer sections than nicer sections. But you can tell they are working to change it, just not there yet.

I agree completely. I was just illustrating the point that while the areas snoopy listed have the popular perception of being the poorest, most likely because of the news coverage of crime in those areas, it's not necessarily the case. Some of the poorest areas in the country are along Appalachia, but that's not the image that comes to mind when most people think of poverty in the U.S. For anyone familiar with the area, it's not a shock that Hartford's poverty rate is among the highest in the nation.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm

mwk wrote:

Hartford may have a bigger gap between rick&poor, but that in no way makes it the 2nd poorest city in the nation. If anything, it would be the 2nd lowest per capita w/e, but there was no distinction in the posts.

I meant awful as an exaggeration. I definitely shouldn't have put that in quotes, sorry.

The Bronx is an entire Borough, I was just trying to give examples of areas that are typically considered "poor" and would have to come into consideration before Hartford. In any case, the arg still stands.

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Seriously, it's not that bad. I grew up in Connecticut and never had a problem when I spent time in Hartford. You go where you need to go and you avoid the bad areas, which is the case in any city. Sure, Hartford isn't the most attractive or exciting place in the world, but UConn Law is very close to West Hartford, which is beautiful and has lots of stuff to do.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:I'm really worried about finding a place to live. I hope I'll get enough in loans to find a decent place to live, where I can sleep at night without worrying about robbers or something. Can someone tell me what streets to absolutely avoid when trying to find an apartment? I'm going next month on April 9 to look for a place to live. Thanks!

I got the impression there were lots of people that rent out a section of their house to students. Also, I was told that the school will send a list of available housing options to students who have put a deposit down in the mid-summer.

Of course, if you are really worried, you can get a nice place in West Hartford for $1000 a month.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:55 pm

I would say give it 5 years, it will be a lot like Providence, very trendy and nice.

Moe's Southwest Grille is weird, by the way. I actually had them come stare at me as I ate because I asked for lots of jalapenos.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 pm

kalvano wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:I'm really worried about finding a place to live. I hope I'll get enough in loans to find a decent place to live, where I can sleep at night without worrying about robbers or something. Can someone tell me what streets to absolutely avoid when trying to find an apartment? I'm going next month on April 9 to look for a place to live. Thanks!

I got the impression there were lots of people that rent out a section of their house to students. Also, I was told that the school will send a list of available housing options to students who have put a deposit down in the mid-summer.

Of course, if you are really worried, you can get a nice place in West Hartford for $1000 a month.

$1000/month?! That's so much! I can't rent out a room in someone's house. I have a cat, who I intend to bring with me to law school.

Does anyone know how much in loans one gets for living costs, per month?

mwk

Postby mwk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Anywhere in the West End, which is the neighborhood the school is located in, should be fine, as should the entire towns of West Hartford, Farmington, and most of Newington. People will tell you to avoid New Britain, but it's not as bad as they say in most areas, especially by Central Connecticut. It depends on how far you mind driving. Any of the places listed are within 10-15 minutes. Hartford proper, like the other cities in CT, is a strange city in that there are great areas that are right around the corner from run-down areas, even within neighborhoods or on the same street.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

$1000/month?! That's so much! I can't rent out a room in someone's house. I have a cat, who I intend to bring with me to law school.

Does anyone know how much in loans one gets for living costs, per month?

I don't think having a cat precludes you from renting an in-house apartment.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:30 pm

mwk wrote:

Anywhere in the West End, which is the neighborhood the school is located in, should be fine, as should the entire towns of West Hartford, Farmington, and most of Newington. People will tell you to avoid New Britain, but it's not as bad as they say in most areas, especially by Central Connecticut. It depends on how far you mind driving. Any of the places listed are within 10-15 minutes. Hartford proper, like the other cities in CT, is a strange city in that there are great areas that are right around the corner from run-down areas, even within neighborhoods or on the same street.

I've been using apartmentguide.com and apartments.com , and most of what I'm finding is to the east of the school on google maps, which I've been told is the dangerous bad area? I can't find any apartments in the west end :( Do you have any suggestions?? Am I looking at the wrong websites? I avoid craigslist cause it's a mess and a pain to go through.

mwk

Postby mwk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
mwk wrote:

I've been using apartmentguide.com and apartments.com , and most of what I'm finding is to the east of the school on google maps, which I've been told is the dangerous bad area? I can't find any apartments in the west end :( Do you have any suggestions?? Am I looking at the wrong websites? I avoid craigslist cause it's a mess and a pain to go through.

Apartmentguide.com, rent.com, etc are usually only going to give you apartment buildings & complexes, which in Hartford, West Hartford, etc are going to be either really expensive or in areas you're most likely not going to be happy living (I wouldn't say this is 100% true, as many people, myself included, don't mind and are actually happier in some of the less desirable neighborhoods; this is just a generalization). Craigslist is a pain, but a lot of tims you can find great deals that aren't advertised on the other commercial sites (eg. units in multiple-family houses, etc). I don't know for a fact, but I'd imagine that students who find housing close to the school do so in multi-family homes. East of Hartford you might find something in Manchester, or to the south in Glastonbury or Wethersfield. How far are you willing to drive, and what price range are you looking in?

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:19 pm

I think the reality is that the job situation is poor right now matter where you go to school, a friend is a managing partner of one of the most prominent law firms in Manhattan and the last time we spoke, they were deferring new hires for a year (new hires from t14 schools)- other atty friends in the area report significant layoffs, it's all the talk at the cocktail parties, the normally 'recession proof' lawyers are getting hit and their getting hit HARD.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:49 pm

kalvano wrote:
cjr1298 wrote:2nd poorest in the nation? I'm not crazy about Hartford but that sounds out of sync? The third richest state in US is the home to the second poorest city? I guess the income disparity in CT is even worse than I thought.

CT is the wealthiest state with the poorest cities.

The data get's skewed because of that enclave above NYC. It's such a small state that having one area like that throws off all the data.

But cross two streets into West Hartford and it's an entirely different world.

I live in the enclave above NYC- my neighbors pay people to pick up the dog poop in their yard. We're riff raff by comparison, we even hang our own Christmas decorations, gasp! But seriously, I checked your info and your absolutely right, shameful, even more reason to go to law school and fix this mess! ;)

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:27 am

Burger in a can wrote:If that enclave above NYC (called Fairfield County) fell off into Long Island Sound the rest of us in Connecticut would applaud. :)

Litchfield County in da HOUSE!!!! 8)

I lived in Litchfield County up until about two years ago and then we moved down here to be closer to my husband's office- I liked LC, but I had basically lived there on and off my whole life, so this is kind of a nice change. I was also in the more rural section of LC, and that can be, well, rural! Old and rural- mediocre schools, no take-out delivery, and nothing is open after 9 PM. But I'm in the northern FC, we stay clear of most of the snobbery.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:35 pm

mwk wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:
mwk wrote:

Apartmentguide.com, rent.com, etc are usually only going to give you apartment buildings & complexes, which in Hartford, West Hartford, etc are going to be either really expensive or in areas you're most likely not going to be happy living (I wouldn't say this is 100% true, as many people, myself included, don't mind and are actually happier in some of the less desirable neighborhoods; this is just a generalization). Craigslist is a pain, but a lot of tims you can find great deals that aren't advertised on the other commercial sites (eg. units in multiple-family houses, etc). I don't know for a fact, but I'd imagine that students who find housing close to the school do so in multi-family homes. East of Hartford you might find something in Manchester, or to the south in Glastonbury or Wethersfield. How far are you willing to drive, and what price range are you looking in?

I'll try Craigslist I guess...

I was hoping to be within 15 minutes max driving distance. Around $700 rent, hopefully with some utilities included. In a safe area.

I just called Capitol View Apartments, their rent includes all the utilities! But it's located at 600 Asylum Ave, which is to the EAST of campus, and I read on this thread that that's the bad area. So I'm a bit scared about it. What do you think? Is Asylum ave full of criminals and whatnot?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”