UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pam920

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby pam920 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:24 am

I went complete 2/8 with 3.52/161 and still haven't heard! How long has it taken people here to hear back?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 am

pam920 wrote:I went complete 2/8 with 3.52/161 and still haven't heard! How long has it taken people here to hear back?

short answer: a while

long answer: check lsn and sort by complete date. that should give you an indication of where you (and I) stand.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:04 am

Based on my own filing, I think you should here very soon. Good luck!

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:45 am

Let me throw this into the mix:
I sent my application to UConn on 2/8. On 2/24 i got an email saying that my file was missing the certification form. I contacted my undergrad, they said they sent it so I responded and told her that it was still in the mail. She said I'd get an email when my file was complete. On 3/5 I emailed asking if they ever got the form, she responded within 3 minutes:

"We have the form and your application will be completed soon. "

So now its over a month since LSAC sent my app, and at least a week since they got the missing form and I've gotten no email, and no status checker.

Does this sound off to anyone?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:54 am

162, 3.38. Sent my app in 1/7, Complete email 2/1 (after they received the cert form). Still waiting.....

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 am

bceagles182 wrote:162, 3.38. Sent my app in 1/7, Complete email 2/1 (after they received the cert form). Still waiting.....

So no status checker?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 am

I have the checker but I've heard it doesn't give any information other than when you are complete, which I am.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:16 pm

UConn status checker is for making sure they have all your materials, basically.

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:17 pm

DonnyMost wrote:UConn status checker is for making sure they have all your materials, basically.

So is it not a big deal that I dont have one?

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Bobalou wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:UConn status checker is for making sure they have all your materials, basically.

So is it not a big deal that I dont have one?

Not really, no. As long as you know your app is complete/finished, after that, it's pretty much worthless.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Bobalou wrote:Let me throw this into the mix:
I sent my application to UConn on 2/8. On 2/24 i got an email saying that my file was missing the certification form. I contacted my undergrad, they said they sent it so I responded and told her that it was still in the mail. She said I'd get an email when my file was complete. On 3/5 I emailed asking if they ever got the form, she responded within 3 minutes:

So now its over a month since LSAC sent my app, and at least a week since they got the missing form and I've gotten no email, and no status checker.

no- they're very slow.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:02 pm

1) The lady in admissions told me they are doing another round of scholarship considerations this week, and should be mailing out next week. She encouraged me to send an email (just to admissions, no one in particular) informing them of my continued interest in UConn and and my other offers, which they will take into consideration.

2) The campus is beautiful.

Main parking lot.

The Law Library, which is also a public library. It's 5 stories and just repaired / renovated.

The Main Building

Surrounding Area

3) For all of you who live in that area, sorry for the following.

Hartford is kind of a dump. I'm not surprised it's the second-poorest city in the nation. But you can also see it is a city in transition. You can drive around it and see where it used to be an absolute dump, and see where they have spent a lot of money fixing it up. But it's not there yet. I've rarely seen more signs advertising available leases and vacancies. It's obvious they are trying to turn the city around, like Providence did, but it's nowhere close to working yet.

The area around the law school is gorgeous, and full of beautiful homes. The 2L leading the tour said that she rents an in-home apartment right by campus, apparently a popular choice.

Nearby cities can be much nicer. I loved West Hartford and Farmington, and parts of New Britain were nice. If you don't need a house, just an apartment, there are tons of options. If you need to rent a house, it will be much more difficult.

4) The 2L leading the tour was very bleak in her thoughts on job prospects. She said basically you need to be T10 in the class or else it will be very difficult.

Any more questions, just ask.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:29 pm

2nd poorest in the nation? I'm not crazy about Hartford but that sounds out of sync? The third richest state in US is the home to the second poorest city? I guess the income disparity in CT is even worse than I thought.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 pm

cjr1298 wrote:2nd poorest in the nation? I'm not crazy about Hartford but that sounds out of sync? The third richest state in US is the home to the second poorest city? I guess the income disparity in CT is even worse than I thought.

CT is the wealthiest state with the poorest cities.

The data get's skewed because of that enclave above NYC. It's such a small state that having one area like that throws off all the data.

But cross two streets into West Hartford and it's an entirely different world.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 pm

cjr1298 wrote:2nd poorest in the nation? I'm not crazy about Hartford but that sounds out of sync? The third richest state in US is the home to the second poorest city? I guess the income disparity in CT is even worse than I thought.

Welcome, my son... Welcome to the machine.

http://www.alternet.org/story/41305/

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:38 pm

I sent an email asking for merit-based financial aid and just got 23k. So, I can attest. It works. If you want to see what I wrote feel free to PM me or anything.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 pm

cjr1298 wrote:
Bobalou wrote:Let me throw this into the mix:

no- they're very slow.

This timing sounds normal to me. Many schools have waited months to render a decision. I think everyone is getting nervous now as it is getting close to the end of the admissions cycle(except for waitlists). You will hear soon!

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:09 pm

"4) The 2L leading the tour was very bleak in her thoughts on job prospects. She said basically you need to be T10 in the class or else it will be very difficult."

Let's hope she is wrong! If you have to be top 10 percent to get a job then what are so many people doing going to law school? Was she talking about Big Law? Unfortunately there are too many attorneys nationwide.

Thanks for the great pictures and information

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm

DonnyMost wrote:I'm going to attend rejected students day.

It starts in the parking lot.

Punch and pie will be served.

(FREE HAT)

HAHAHA I will come with you!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Emma1 wrote:"4) The 2L leading the tour was very bleak in her thoughts on job prospects. She said basically you need to be T10 in the class or else it will be very difficult."

Let's hope she is wrong! If you have to be top 10 percent to get a job then what are so many people doing going to law school? Was she talking about Big Law? Unfortunately there are too many attorneys nationwide.

No, she meant actual T10 in the class.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:28 pm

kalvano wrote:
Emma1 wrote:"4) The 2L leading the tour was very bleak in her thoughts on job prospects. She said basically you need to be T10 in the class or else it will be very difficult."

No, she meant actual T10 in the class.[/quote

I don't think it is that bad out there:) There have to be more people than that who have personal connections to get a job LOL( although still worried)

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 pm

thanks for all the info kalvano. wow, the campus is beautiful, but wow, the job situation is ugly. I would like to visit at the end of the month during my spring break, but I really would like a decision before I throw down a bunch of money to make the trip. I think Ill email the admissions office today. 8)

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:46 pm

This is stupid. Hartford is not the poorest city in anything. You have Detroit, Oakland, Bronx, Dade County, etc. Then, for Htfd (since I have been there many times) you have some of the richest people in CT living in old-money neighborhoods... Hartford is no where close to "awful" or "2nd poorest".

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:This is stupid. Hartford is not the poorest city in anything. You have Detroit, Oakland, Bronx, Dade County, etc. Then, for Htfd (since I have been there many times) you have some of the richest people in CT living in old-money neighborhoods... Hartford is no where close to "awful" or "2nd poorest".

Based off poverty rates, it is.

http://www.city-data.com/poverty/povert ... ticut.html

Residents with income below the poverty level in 2007:
Hartford: 31.2%
Whole state: 7.9%

Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2007:
Hartford: 12.9%
Whole state: 3.6%

http://www.hartford.gov/Development/gra ... 005-09.pdf

Income
Income data for Hartford show significant differences between the City and the surrounding 29 towns in the Capitol Region:
* While the median income for the Capital Region was $53,305, the median income for the city of Hartford was $24,820

* Hartford’s median income was 47% of the Capital Region’s median income.

* Seven of the 29 towns in the region had median household incomes that were three times higher than Hartford’s.

* While the percentage of those living in poverty was 9% for the Capitol Region, it was 30.6% for the city (according to an article in the Los Angeles Times on June 15, 2003, the only city in the country with a higher poverty rate was Brownsville, Texas). The poverty rate of families with a female head of household was 40.8%.

* 57% of those living in the Capitol Region with incomes below the poverty level lived in the City of Hartford

And I never said it was awful. I just said it's kind of a dump.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”