UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lighthouse28

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Lighthouse28 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 pm

jk9968a wrote:Damn very jealous...I got rejected from American as well but I'm still waiting on U Conn. My stats are somewhat similar to yours, are you a CT resident?

No, I'm not. But I'm looking forward to becoming one, so I can get state tuition for my 2nd and 3rd year! I hope you get an acceptance too! :) Just hang in there, and I'm sure whatever is meant to happen and is best for you will happen.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:29 pm

I got my acceptance letter on the 13th. Tomorrow will be two weeks and no scholarship info.

Should I call the school and ask, or should I wait and ask when I visit? Assuming I like the school and area, UConn gies pretty high on my list (like the top), but no money makes it tough.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:03 pm

kalvano wrote:I got my acceptance letter on the 13th. Tomorrow will be two weeks and no scholarship info.

Should I call the school and ask, or should I wait and ask when I visit? Assuming I like the school and area, UConn gies pretty high on my list (like the top), but no money makes it tough.

If you call and ask, I'd like to hear what they say!

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:46 am

Did people who received scholarships receive them with the acceptance letter or later? If yes, then I'm also thinking about writing them an email and seeing what can be done. Has anyone else had the nerve to do this? How did you word it?

hotdoglaw

Postby hotdoglaw » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 am

if yes=if with the letter

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:55 am

Burger in a Can,

Do you know when I need to move to CT to be able to qualify for in-state tuition for my 2nd year? I think I saw you say it has to be 12 months. Does that mean I should be in CT on August 1st 2010, and will I then qualify for in-state tuition for my 2nd year???

Also, is it possible to find a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood for under $600/month??

Thanks! :)

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 am

Lighthouse28 wrote:Burger in a Can,

Do you know when I need to move to CT to be able to qualify for in-state tuition for my 2nd year? I think I saw you say it has to be 12 months. Does that mean I should be in CT on August 1st 2010, and will I then qualify for in-state tuition for my 2nd year???

Also, is it possible to find a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood for under $600/month??

Everything I know about residency comes from here: http://www.law.uconn.edu/bursars-office ... -residency

Any student who was classified as an out-of-state resident upon entry may petition to change that classification one year after they establish domicile in Connecticut...

The student must be emancipated and a resident of Connecticut for 12 months. ("Emancipated" means that the student is at least 18 years old and not claimed as a dependent for income tax or other purposes).

And for under $600/month, you'll probably need a roommate (or three.) Seriously though, that is very inexpensive for the Hartford area, and I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is certainly very unlikely.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:Burger in a Can,

Everything I know about residency comes from here: http://www.law.uconn.edu/bursars-office ... -residency

Any student who was classified as an out-of-state resident upon entry may petition to change that classification one year after they establish domicile in Connecticut...

The student must be emancipated and a resident of Connecticut for 12 months. ("Emancipated" means that the student is at least 18 years old and not claimed as a dependent for income tax or other purposes).

And for under $600/month, you'll probably need a roommate (or three.) Seriously though, that is very inexpensive for the Hartford area, and I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is certainly very unlikely.

Oh, ok, thanks! So what is reasonable for a decent (doesn't have to be luxury) apartment in a safe area? Also, is Vernon a safe place to live? Sorry for bombarding you with questions. I'll go visit in April, but I wanna have an idea of where I should look before I go...

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
Oh, ok, thanks! So what is reasonable for a decent (doesn't have to be luxury) apartment in a safe area? Also, is Vernon a safe place to live? Sorry for bombarding you with questions. I'll go visit in April, but I wanna have an idea of where I should look before I go...

No problem! Vernon is alright- I would definitely call it safe, but some parts are dumpy. Check out craigslist to get an idea for reasonable places- I'd say you're looking at the $750-$1000 range for decent and safe(ish). There are cheaper places, but they're harder to find. Good luck!

mes2010

Postby mes2010 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 am

You can live walking distance from West Hartford Center for about 750-800 a month. It's a GREAT area. Problem is there is no on street parking at night in West Hartford so you'd have to find a building wiht a garage (which is rare) or pay to park in a lot that might not be that close.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 am

Any scholarship news? 2 weeks came and went and nothing here.

It's starting to irritate me. I've gotten good offers from higher-ranked schools.

They either don't really want people that badly, or they are incapable of doing simple math.

jk9968a

Postby jk9968a » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:34 am

just out of curiosity...the people who have heard back from Uconn: when did you all apply? I sent in all of my applications a week or two before most schools left for Christmas break, and I have heard back from literally every other school that I've applied to. They said they would review each application as they came in, so I'm just trying to get an idea of when you guys heard so I can guess how much longer I'll be waiting!

btw Congrats to all who got in

chisoxfan

Postby chisoxfan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:56 pm

jk9968a wrote:just out of curiosity...the people who have heard back from Uconn: when did you all apply? I sent in all of my applications a week or two before most schools left for Christmas break, and I have heard back from literally every other school that I've applied to. They said they would review each application as they came in, so I'm just trying to get an idea of when you guys heard so I can guess how much longer I'll be waiting!

UConn didn't start reviewing apps until near the end of January. I submitted my app in the beginning of November, and I only heard back a couple weeks ago. Not sure what rate they're going at now, but that might give you some indication of when you might hear.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:10 am

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question. It's my dream to live and practice law in Washington D.C., but I'll be attending U Conn cause of financial reasons, and because so far it's only one of two schools I've been accepted to, the other being Hofstra which I really do NOT want to attend. I know U Conn is a regional school, but is it impossible for me to find a job in DC upon graduation?? :(

jk9968a wrote:just out of curiosity...the people who have heard back from Uconn: when did you all apply? I sent in all of my applications a week or two before most schools left for Christmas break, and I have heard back from literally every other school that I've applied to. They said they would review each application as they came in, so I'm just trying to get an idea of when you guys heard so I can guess how much longer I'll be waiting!

I sent mine in on or around December 10th.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:39 pm

No, UConn can place in DC. It's tougher than other schools, but still possible. You'd do better at UConn in DC than some other, higher-ranked schools merely because of proximity.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Why wont my requirements list just disappear already? :(

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 pm

has it been determined whether the status disappearing signals acceptance or just decision rendered? My status disappeared yesterday and I am taking that as a bad sign given that I only completed about four and a half weeks ago. 163, 3.4, CT resident

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm

kalvano wrote:No, UConn can place in DC. It's tougher than other schools, but still possible. You'd do better at UConn in DC than some other, higher-ranked schools merely because of proximity.

Hartford is about 6 hours away from Washington DC though, is that considered to be in close proximity? :? I hope so for my sake! But I find it hard to believe. But I really hope you are right! Because it would be nice to pay in-state tuition for my last 2 years and still be able to find a job in DC afterward! :)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
kalvano wrote:No, UConn can place in DC. It's tougher than other schools, but still possible. You'd do better at UConn in DC than some other, higher-ranked schools merely because of proximity.

Hartford is about 6 hours away from Washington DC though, is that considered to be in close proximity? :? I hope so for my sake! But I find it hard to believe. But I really hope you are right! Because it would be nice to pay in-state tuition for my last 2 years and still be able to find a job in DC afterward! :)

I think you need to pull out a map and figure out where all the top 100 schools are, and then see where they are in relationship to DC.

Yes, 6 hours is in close proximity.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:31 pm

cjr1298 wrote:has it been determined whether the status disappearing signals acceptance or just decision rendered? My status disappeared yesterday and I am taking that as a bad sign given that I only completed about four and a half weeks ago. 163, 3.4, CT resident

quite honestly, I dont know if they ever had anything listed under their "Status" section, but the consensus seems to be that once your requirement list vanishes, a decision has been reached. and judging by your numbers, you have little to worry about.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:

It looks like in 2007, only 4 DC firms went to UCONN'S OCI.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:

It looks like in 2007, only 4 DC firms went to UCONN'S OCI.

Which strongly implies that DC employment is possible. Also remember that OCI isn't the only way (and apparently these days not even the most common way) to get a job out of law school. I agree with Kalvano- it's possible, and probably easier from UConn than from, say, some place in the midwest. Still, if getting a job in DC was my highest priority, I probably wouldn't choose to go to UConn.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 pm

moandersen wrote:
cjr1298 wrote:has it been determined whether the status disappearing signals acceptance or just decision rendered? My status disappeared yesterday and I am taking that as a bad sign given that I only completed about four and a half weeks ago. 163, 3.4, CT resident

quite honestly, I dont know if they ever had anything listed under their "Status" section, but the consensus seems to be that once your requirement list vanishes, a decision has been reached. and judging by your numbers, you have little to worry about.

thanks. sorry, yes, it was the requirements list that vanished yesterday, we'll see- it is a bit early (based on what I see here), so that threw me a bit.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 pm

You're in.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Which strongly implies that DC employment is possible. Also remember that OCI isn't the only way (and apparently these days not even the most common way) to get a job out of law school. I agree with Kalvano- it's possible, and probably easier from UConn than from, say, some place in the midwest. Still, if getting a job in DC was my highest priority, I probably wouldn't choose to go to UConn.

Ok, as long as it's possible. I'll do whatever it takes to get a job in DC, even if that means giving up on having any sort of a life for the next 3 years! :( If I hit the lottery, then I will transfer if I have the grades to a school in DC :oops:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”