UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nycparalegal

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm

mes2010 wrote:Since I was actually born and raised in that "village" as you call it... let me tell you about the area.

You can actually live in West Hartford and easily commute to the UConn Law. It'd be a 2-5 minute drive down one road and you'd be at the school. The school's campus is beautiful, and yes, on one side of it, it is not the best area.

However, if you walk one block the other way you are in Hartford's West end which is full of million dollar New England style homes. Go another couple minutes, and you enter West Hartford, which is a really nice suburb with a surprisingly vibrant downtown. This includes stores, restaurants, and a very lively nightlife. Most of the restaurants are expensive, but there are also fair priced options. There is also a nearby mall. If you drive 10-15 minutes from the school, you're in Avon, CT, which is one of the wealthiest towns in the state. This is a more rural area with mountains and wooded areas. You are also 30-40 minutes from skiing.

The area is actually pretty good and Hartford continues to become a better city with the new convention center and sceince center downtown. Also, lawyers are EVERYWHERE in CT and the law school is located very close to the neighborhoods with all the law firms, the AG's office, the CT Supreme Court, and the Capitol.

Well, if I wanted to walk to the campus, since you said that most of the houses west of the school are million dollar homes, is that even possible?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Just keep in mind that you won't be near the coast, so don't expect to be filling up on wicked good chowda every night...

uh oh. uconn just dropped a notch. i love chowder.

how do the people of CT in general compare to the midwest? some lawyers here (Chicago) have cautioned about going to new england for school because there are a lot more egos/pretentiousness. that doesnt bother me as i can be an ass in that way under certain circumstances, so im just wondering if there is any truth to their statements. maybe ill feel more at home. :lol:

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 pm

oops
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
moandersen wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Just keep in mind that you won't be near the coast, so don't expect to be filling up on wicked good chowda every night...

how do the people of CT in general compare to the midwest? some lawyers here (Chicago) have cautioned about going to new england for school because there are a lot more egos/pretentiousness. that doesnt bother me as i can be an ass in that way under certain circumstances, so im just wondering if there is any truth to their statements. maybe ill feel more at home. :lol:

I am a person of CT so I'm not sure whether I'm qualified to answer this with any kind of objectivity, but I would say that there is, in fact, plenty of snobbiness in the state (I'm looking at you, Fairfield County!) born mostly of the trust fund kid/trophy wife gene pools. But I wouldn't say that such people are fairly representative of the good people of Connecticut.

I lived in California for a couple of years, and a lot of Californians tend to think of New Englanders as cold, humorless bastards who take life too seriously. I think that stereotype might be slightly more accurate. But seriously, we nutmeggers are good people. If you ask me, you'll find far more "egos/pretentiousness" in Manhattan than pretty much anywhere on earth.

I have lived in CA (santa barbara) before as well and love the laid back culture, but my fiance wants nothing to do with their horrible economy, high COL, and insane tuitions. I guess I understand. Thanks for the info burger.

Nutmegger?? :?:

rjp88

Postby rjp88 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:53 pm

moandersen wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I am a person of CT so I'm not sure whether I'm qualified to answer this with any kind of objectivity, but I would say that there is, in fact, plenty of snobbiness in the state (I'm looking at you, Fairfield County!) born mostly of the trust fund kid/trophy wife gene pools. But I wouldn't say that such people are fairly representative of the good people of Connecticut.

I lived in California for a couple of years, and a lot of Californians tend to think of New Englanders as cold, humorless bastards who take life too seriously. I think that stereotype might be slightly more accurate. But seriously, we nutmeggers are good people. If you ask me, you'll find far more "egos/pretentiousness" in Manhattan than pretty much anywhere on earth.

I have lived in CA (santa barbara) before as well and love the laid back culture, but my fiance wants nothing to do with their horrible economy, high COL, and insane tuitions. I guess I understand. Thanks for the info burger.

Nutmegger?? :?:

As someone who grew up splitting time between Fairifield County and a Hartford suburb and who now lives in Chicago, I'd say that you'll find pretentious, obnoxious people anywhere you look. Sure, midwesterners might be more friendly at first meeting, but I find them to be no more inherently nice than people in CT.

And if you're looking for chowder (or if you're me, lobster rolls) one good thing about CT is that nothing is really that far. An hour and a half in the car in any direction, and you're almost guaranteed to be in another state.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

So, really, how bad is Hartford, or parts of it?

I mean, I'm coming from Dallas, so how does it compare to other major metro areas? Is it like scary to walk down the streets in broad daylight or what?

qualster

Postby qualster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

kalvano wrote:So, really, how bad is Hartford, or parts of it?

I mean, I'm coming from Dallas, so how does it compare to other major metro areas? Is it like scary to walk down the streets in broad daylight or what?

Yes, on a scale from East Saint Louis to Seattle, how is Hartford as a city in terms of scariness?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:49 pm

At least you're not moving to Camden. If I get accepted with money (plus in state tuition), it might an option for me. Scary...

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:19 pm

The Uconn Law campus is practically on the West Hartford/Hartford line. West Hartford is safe, wealthy, and really nice. Uconn Law is only down the road a piece from West Hartford, tucked away in a residential neighborhood. The dangerous, scary streets of Hartford are in the north end, but you'll never have a reason to go there.

I've lived and worked in the area for most of my life.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 pm

AustinOrgans wrote:

The Uconn Law campus is practically on the West Hartford/Hartford line. West Hartford is safe, wealthy, and really nice. Uconn Law is only down the road a piece from West Hartford, tucked away in a residential neighborhood. The dangerous, scary streets of Hartford are in the north end, but you'll never have a reason to go there.

I've lived and worked in the area for most of my life.

So it's basically like any other big city? Good parts, bad parts? I've heard stuff about shootouts in the streets and things like that, but I'm betting that has been greatly exaggerated.

My wife and I would probably try and rent a house a little outside Hartford, a little smaller town. For some reason, in my head, I just don't see small Connecticut towns as being "bad" or "ghetto". Correct me if I am wrong.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:34 pm

kalvano wrote:

So it's basically like any other big city? Good parts, bad parts? I've heard stuff about shootouts in the streets and things like that, but I'm betting that has been greatly exaggerated.

My wife and I would probably try and rent a house a little outside Hartford, a little smaller town. For some reason, in my head, I just don't see small Connecticut towns as being "bad" or "ghetto". Correct me if I am wrong.

The problem with Hartford is that it has a huge poverty rate. I think second highest in the country.

Although, the school itself is gorgeous and right at the line between good area, and not so great area.

And like all cities it has its good areas and bad.

I plan on living right next to the law school, if I decide to go.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:34 pm

Well, like I said, we will probably try and live a little out of the city. I've been told Bolton and places East of the river are nice.

I just don't want to go to school and have to worry about my car getting jacked while I am in class, or while I am driving to school.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:42 pm

There are tons of nice places all around Hartford, although I would definitely steer clear of New Britain and Waterbury and most places in between along I-84. I've never been to Bolton, but Manchester is alright, so Bolton (being further from the city) is probably pretty great. Also, staying East of the city will make your commute easier if you're using 84, although the highway traffic isn't really that bad anyway.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Sounds good. I want to be a little out of the city, but not so far that I can't have people from school over to the house if need be.

I'm going to actually make an attempt to be social.

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 pm

kalvano wrote:Well, like I said, we will probably try and live a little out of the city. I've been told Bolton and places East of the river are nice.

I just don't want to go to school and have to worry about my car getting jacked while I am in class, or while I am driving to school.

I recommend that you look in West Hartford and Farmington.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:46 am

Well, I'm shipping up to Boston (whoa oh oh) on the 8th of March, then over to Hartford for a couple days.

Anyone want to show me a good time? Or at least keep from getting shot and thrown into a ditch? I hear Hartford is about equal to Baghdad.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:33 am

kalvano wrote:Well, I'm shipping up to Boston (whoa oh oh) on the 8th of March, then over to Hartford for a couple days.

Anyone want to show me a good time? Or at least keep from getting shot and thrown into a ditch? I hear Hartford is about equal to Baghdad.

You'd be welcome at my place but I'm going out of town. :)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:35 am

Burger in a can wrote:
kalvano wrote:Well, I'm shipping up to Boston (whoa oh oh) on the 8th of March, then over to Hartford for a couple days.

You'd be welcome at my place but I'm going out of town. :)

Are you visiting SMU? That would be kind of funny.

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:17 am

Scholarship letter came in yesterday (about one and a half weeks after my acceptance letter). $5,000 Dean's Scholarship! I'm quite happy with getting this on top of in-state tuition. My numbers aren't stellar enough to get me the half-ride I dreamt about, so I can't complain about five grand!

Mailing in my "Notice of Intention - Dean's Scholar" this weekend! :D

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:36 pm

AustinOrgans wrote:Scholarship letter came in yesterday (about one and a half weeks after my acceptance letter). $5,000 Dean's Scholarship! I'm quite happy with getting this on top of in-state tuition. My numbers aren't stellar enough to get me the half-ride I dreamt about, so I can't complain about five grand!

Numbers, if you please? Here or via PM, whichever you are most comfortable with.

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
AustinOrgans wrote:Scholarship letter came in yesterday (about one and a half weeks after my acceptance letter). $5,000 Dean's Scholarship! I'm quite happy with getting this on top of in-state tuition. My numbers aren't stellar enough to get me the half-ride I dreamt about, so I can't complain about five grand!

Numbers, if you please? Here or via PM, whichever you are most comfortable with.

162/3.9

I also wrote the optional essay which touched on financial need.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Hey everyone!

I received my acceptance to U Conn today!

I'll definitely be attending U Conn! So I'd appreciate any apartment-hunting tips!
Last edited by Lighthouse28 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk9968a

Postby jk9968a » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:Hey everyone!

I received my acceptance to U Conn today! I'm super happy cause I was rejected from American; wait-listed at Catholic, DePaul, Loyola, U Pitt, and Villanova; and deferred at Northeastern. Still need to hear back from Temple, IU Bloomington, Penn State and St. John's. Was accepted at Hofstra as well.

I'll definitely be attending U Conn! So I'd appreciate any apartment-hunting tips!

For those curious, my stats: 3.43/155.

Damn very jealous...I got rejected from American as well but I'm still waiting on U Conn. My stats are somewhat similar to yours, are you a CT resident?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”