UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nycparalegal

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm

kalvano wrote:I'm beginning to get irritated at the lack of monetary offers.

There is simply no way UConn is worth $83,000 when I can go to Wake for $54,000 or SMU for $50,000.

Is the 83,000 calculated the following way (COL + instate tuition x 3)?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm

nycparalegal wrote:

There is simply no way UConn is worth $83,000 when I can go to Wake for $54,000 or SMU for $50,000.

Im guessing its just tuition, with out of state the first year, and in state the following two.

But I agree that if I get in and dont get offered in state the first year, it would be hard to attend.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 pm

nycparalegal wrote:

I'm just using Burger's estimate from a few pages ago.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:

Ahh, I see it's non-residents not from NE who get in-state their 2 and 3 year.

qualster

Postby qualster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:49 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
kalvano wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:

Ahh, I see it's non-residents not from NE who get in-state their 2 and 3 year.

nycpearalegal,

What is UConn's rep in the Big Apple?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 pm

+10,000 (because in my case, I could go to Rutgers for $10,000...)

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 pm

qualster wrote:
nycpearalegal,

Anyone with substantial knowledge feel free to add more information:

In general, it's considered a good state law school; however, you need to be at the top of the class to be placed in Biglaw NYC.

qualster

Postby qualster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:24 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:
nycpearalegal,

In general, it's considered a good state law school; however, you need to be at the top of the class to be placed in Biglaw NYC.

Would Hofstra be better for NYC Big Law?

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

qualster wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:
nycpearalegal,

What are all your choices with total costs?

qualster

Postby qualster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:
nycpearalegal,

What are all your choices with total costs?

Me? Oh, I sent my apps out rather late and haven't heard anything yet. Just curious what would work better for NYC Big Law.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:30 pm

qualster wrote:
Me? Oh, I sent my apps out rather late and haven't heard anything yet. Just curious what would work better for NYC Big Law.

Well, you must have some idea which schools your getting into, and if your getting any money at the schools. What do you think are your choices with costs, on a conservative estimate.

qualster

Postby qualster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:35 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:

Well, you must have some idea which schools your getting into, and if your getting any money at the schools. What do you think are your choices with costs, on a conservative estimate.

Well, I'm only applying to UConn and Hofstra in that region. I'm sure that Hofstra will give me $$, but UConn will probably give me little (if I do in fact get in) based on what people are posting. I might apply to Cardozo.

Which would place better into Big Law in NYC?

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:45 pm

qualster wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:

Well, I'm only applying to UConn and Hofstra in that region. I'm sure that Hofstra will give me $$, but UConn will probably give me little (if I do in fact get in) based on what people are posting. I might apply to Cardozo.

Well, you would really have to be in the top of your class in either school to even have a shot at interviewing for biglaw NYC. I dont really think too many people respect Hofstra as a law school in New York City.

e: Hofstra is generally considered a long island school. It's really expensive, and doesn't dominate any markets.
UCONN is way cheaper, and dominates the CT market.

qualster

Postby qualster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:47 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:
qualster wrote:

Well, you would really have to be in the top of your class in either school to even have a shot at interviewing for biglaw NYC. I dont really think too many people respect Hofstra as a law school in New York City.

Oh. What about Washburn University in Kansas? How does it place into NYC Big Law? Just kidding.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:18 am

Burger in a can wrote:

I just keep running in to one thing though -

I'd 100 times rather be in CT than in TX or NC.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:24 am

kalvano wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Interesting would you go to CT, if they gave you in-state tuition for your first year?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 am

nycparalegal wrote:Interesting would you go to CT, if they gave you in-state tuition for your first year?

A qualified "yes". I am visiting the school in early March, and it will depend on my impression at the time.

But if I could get the cost down to comparable with SMU / WF, then UConn might just be at the top of my list. But right now, I can't justify an extra $30,000 for UConn. That out-of-state tuition thing is killing me. What's even more maddening is that I bump their numbers. My GPA is 25th, but my LSAT is over 75th, yet I've heard nothing regarding money from them.

Anyone heard anything more about scholarships or have any luck negotiating with them?

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 am

I'm not sure how I feel about UConn. The one big thing that I don't like is that it seems like this law school is a commuter school, and I don't have a car. The area nearby I hear is dangerous. So, I'm not sure about it.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 am

kalvano wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

since we both seem to be contemplating wake and uconn, why would you rather be in CT than NC? Im visiting wake this weekend and uconn probably at the end of march, so ill be able to have a better opinion then, but what leads you to that conclusion?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:54 am

Because I'm a New Englander that was born in the wrong place.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am

nycparalegal wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about UConn. The one big thing that I don't like is that it seems like this law school is a commuter school, and I don't have a car. The area nearby I hear is dangerous. So, I'm not sure about it.

The area nearby UConn is only dangerous to the east. West Hartford is a charming little village that looks like this: --ImageRemoved--

That being said, those looking for an authentic New England kind of feel might be disappointed by the Hartford area in general. Like most small cities there is a lot of ugly urban/suburban sprawl, and it might not be easy to get away from it. Still, there are plenty of beautiful woodsy areas all over the place once you get away from all the McDonalds and Dollar Stores. Just keep in mind that you won't be near the coast, so don't expect to be filling up on wicked good chowda every night...

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about UConn. The one big thing that I don't like is that it seems like this law school is a commuter school, and I don't have a car. The area nearby I hear is dangerous. So, I'm not sure about it.

The area nearby UConn is only dangerous to the east. West Hartford is a charming little village that looks like this: --ImageRemoved--

Right, but I don't have a car so I'll probably want to live right next to the school.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Right, but I don't have a car so I'll probably want to live right next to the school.

Right, but that photo was probably taken within a mile of the law school. Have you visited yet? It's really not that bad, and there are actually beautiful neighborhoods within walking distance. But Hartford without a car is not a great situation.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Right, but that photo was probably taken within a mile of the law school. Have you visited yet? It's really not that bad, and there are actually beautiful neighborhoods within walking distance. But Hartford without a car is not a great situation.

Have not visitied yet, but plan to do it soon.

mes2010

Postby mes2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm

Since I was actually born and raised in that "village" as you call it... let me tell you about the area.

You can actually live in West Hartford and easily commute to the UConn Law. It'd be a 2-5 minute drive down one road and you'd be at the school. The school's campus is beautiful, and yes, on one side of it, it is not the best area.

However, if you walk one block the other way you are in Hartford's West end which is full of million dollar New England style homes. Go another couple minutes, and you enter West Hartford, which is a really nice suburb with a surprisingly vibrant downtown. This includes stores, restaurants, and a very lively nightlife. Most of the restaurants are expensive, but there are also fair priced options. There is also a nearby mall. If you drive 10-15 minutes from the school, you're in Avon, CT, which is one of the wealthiest towns in the state. This is a more rural area with mountains and wooded areas. You are also 30-40 minutes from skiing.

The area is actually pretty good and Hartford continues to become a better city with the new convention center and sceince center downtown. Also, lawyers are EVERYWHERE in CT and the law school is located very close to the neighborhoods with all the law firms, the AG's office, the CT Supreme Court, and the Capitol.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”