UConn waiting thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Burger in a can

Re: UConn waiting thread

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:52 am

kalvano wrote:If I go to UConn, I will make the trip over to Boston every time the Stars are in town.

Same with Wake and North Carolina Whalers.

Same with UW and Vancouver (though going to a foreign country to watch a hockey game is a weird idea).

If we both go to UConn, count me in for the Bruins day trips. :)

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Still no scholarship in my mailbox. I guess I'm not getting one. :(

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:58 pm

So my status checker is kinda weird.

It has all of my requirements filled out.

But under "status" it says virtually nothing, other than the year and degree.

It doesn't even show I paid my fee (which I did, it was on my credit card statemnt).

I think I might call them tomorrow and follow up.

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Mine has been like that since the checker has been made available. what was yours like before?

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20 pm

nj05nets wrote:Mine has been like that since the checker has been made available. what was yours like before?

That is how mine has always been, save for the "requirements" checkboxes getting filled in as I sent stuff in.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:23 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Still no scholarship in my mailbox. I guess I'm not getting one. :(

Hey Burger, I just got mine in the mail today...I got in a week ago. So there is still hope for you! Though I hope you score a few more dollars than I did.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:15 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
nj05nets wrote:Mine has been like that since the checker has been made available. what was yours like before?

That is how mine has always been, save for the "requirements" checkboxes getting filled in as I sent stuff in.

im pretty sure that is how everyone's is....... they dont really do much to their status checker like other schools from what i gather.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 pm

moandersen wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:

im pretty sure that is how everyone's is....... they dont really do much to their status checker like other schools from what i gather.

I guess since this is the first year they've implemented it (I'm guessing... after the email blasts), they're not using it much?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am

DonnyMost wrote:
moandersen wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:

I guess since this is the first year they've implemented it (I'm guessing... after the email blasts), they're not using it much?

My status checker looked the same throughout the process. I think they said in one of those emails that the status checker is ONLY for keeping track of your application's complete status. I imagine they were having problems with people constantly contacting them to ask whether their application was complete- probably because of the UG Dean's Cert. form.

nj05nets

Postby nj05nets » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:07 am

and about a week before you received a letter your requirements section went blank right?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 am

insertclevernamehere wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Still no scholarship in my mailbox. I guess I'm not getting one. :(

Hey Burger, I just got mine in the mail today...I got in a week ago. So there is still hope for you! Though I hope you score a few more dollars than I did.

Thanks, but I have pretty much lost hope- I got in 2 weeks ago and I live within an hour of the school. I am a little heartbroken because I have such amazing financial offers from other schools that make even the in-state tuition at UConn look like a fortune.. I really wanted to go to UConn but I'm not sure whether I can pass up paying almost nothing for law school- especially since UConn won't sweeten their pot just a little. Anyway, I just realized that I am whining on the internet like an idiot so I will shut up now. :)

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:11 am

nj05nets wrote:and about a week before you received a letter your requirements section went blank right?

I didn't notice that it was blank until after I received my letter, so I have no idea what the time frame looks like or even whether going blank means anything at all. Best of luck!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am

Don't give up hope, Burger. They seem to run pretty slow.

Besides, if you don't get any money, I am probably not going to get any money. And then what will we do?

arundodonax

Postby arundodonax » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 am

Where did I read they dole out lots of grant money? I think they give most students (both in state and not) lots of grant money, in addition to any scholarship. Can anyone confirm?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:25 am

arundodonax wrote:Where did I read they dole out lots of grant money? I think they give most students (both in state and not) lots of grant money, in addition to any scholarship. Can anyone confirm?

Im pretty sure you read incorrectly, but hopefully Im wrong. Uconn gives out very little because its a state school and you can get in-state tuition your 2nd and 3rd year. From what Ive seen and read, 10k is the median for those that receive any kind of aid, and uconn sometimes offers in-state tuition to those from out of state their 1L. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, I could just be talking out of my ass.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:50 pm

moandersen wrote:
arundodonax wrote:Where did I read they dole out lots of grant money? I think they give most students (both in state and not) lots of grant money, in addition to any scholarship. Can anyone confirm?

Im pretty sure you read incorrectly, but hopefully Im wrong. Uconn gives out very little because its a state school and you can get in-state tuition your 2nd and 3rd year. From what Ive seen and read, 10k is the median for those that receive any kind of aid, and uconn sometimes offers in-state tuition to those from out of state their 1L. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, I could just be talking out of my ass.

I've heard this as well. I think their in-state is around $20k? So they probably won't offer much on top of that.

FWIW, I received one of the $10k/year scholarships, but the language in the award letter was weird. It sounded like it was only for one year, but later in the letter it said "tuition will drop (to in-state) but your scholarship will remain constant."

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:32 pm

I found the 'tuition and fees' charts on their website sort of annoying, so I broke it down here for you guys in a simpler way:

Connecticut Residents:
Full Time: $20,454/year, $61,362 total
Part Time: $21,366/year, $64,098 total

New England Residents:
(totals include CT resident discount for 2nd and 3rd years)
Full Time: $34,166 1st year, $75,074 total
Part Time: $36,756 1st year, $79,488 total

Barbarians from outside of New England:
(totals include CT resident discount for 2nd and 3rd years)
Full Time: $42,174 1st year, $83,082 total
Part Time: $44,106 1st year, $86,838 total

I think those are correct, but I definitely could have done something wrong. Math was never my strong suit.

Note: When I look at those totals, even a single, non-renewable scholarship for 10k sounds really excellent to me!

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Barbarians from outside of new england... bahahahaha. awesome.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks Burger, the chart on their site does seem intentionally annoying.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Uconn's website on the whole pretty much sucks. The layout and aesthetics are amateurish. The need to throw some cash at a web developer to update that bad boy - its definitely a turn-off. Love the school...their website, not so much.

Thanks for the info though burger. Heres hoping they throw some money your way! (and an acceptance to me)

fruitcocktail

Postby fruitcocktail » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:20 pm

arggh,

I'm sick of this school. Not only is the certification letter annoying, they require more than an addendum for every measly criminal offense. I mean come on, documentation for driving infractions? And yes, you know who at the admissions office is very unfriendly. Although that will not dissuade me from going. She just hates her life.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:25 pm

fruitcocktail wrote:arggh,

I'm sick of this school. Not only is the certification letter annoying, they require more than an addendum for every measly criminal offense. I mean come on, documentation for driving infractions? And yes, you know who at the admissions office is very unfriendly. Although that will not dissuade me from going. She just hates her life.

They told me they didn't need documentation on minor traffic offenses.

I guess vehicular manslaughter they would, but speeding? Nope.

Burger - thanks. That's very helpful. You need a category for people who should have been born in New England but weren't.

fruitcocktail

Postby fruitcocktail » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm

i have a failure to yield but when I asked the lady just kept reading from the application verbatim.

I even made the comment that my offenses were not very severe and she snapped "Either disclose now or when you take the bar and we require that you do it now." Nothing helpful like telling me that the traffic ticket does not need further documentation.

I have a few misdemeanor tickets from different courthouses and it is a real hassle to contact each one to get the documentation.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:54 pm

fruitcocktail wrote:i have a failure to yield but when I asked the lady just kept reading from the application verbatim.

I even made the comment that my offenses were not very severe and she snapped "Either disclose now or when you take the bar and we require that you do it now." Nothing helpful like telling me that the traffic ticket does not need further documentation.

I have a few misdemeanor tickets from different courthouses and it is a real hassle to contact each one to get the documentation.

Wow. I just called and said I had several minor traffic violations and asked if they needed documentation on each one.

The lady was very polite and said she didn't think so, but went to double check and confirmed it.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:13 pm

fruitcocktail wrote:i have a failure to yield but when I asked the lady just kept reading from the application verbatim.

I had to send in specific documentation to uconn as well for my mip. The process for me, at least, was fairly easy. The hardest part was figuring out which county I got the ticket in so that I could request the documentation - that took a couple of days and becoming facebook friends with a person I havent spoken to in 6+ years. Kind of awkward, but ultimately harmless. However, I can see if you have multiple misdemeanors in various jurisdictions how that could be a pain in the ass. Strange how uconn is more strict than all the other schools I applied to.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”