UConn waiting thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kaydish21

Bronze

Re: UConn waiting thread

Post by kaydish21 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:Thanks for the info Burger. :)
No problem. Out of curiosity, are you considering UConn? Your profile makes it seem like you are pretty set on going to school in NYC...
Haha. Sorry about the confusion. My wife and I are both going to begin law school in the fall (yikes) and she just uses my account here. So we are debating how far is too far for distance and all.\

Are you going to the ASD on Saturday?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 am

kaydish21 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:Thanks for the info Burger. :)
No problem. Out of curiosity, are you considering UConn? Your profile makes it seem like you are pretty set on going to school in NYC...
Haha. Sorry about the confusion. My wife and I are both going to begin law school in the fall (yikes) and she just uses my account here. So we are debating how far is too far for distance and all.\

Are you going to the ASD on Saturday?
I see! It's cool that you guys will both be going to LS at the same time! Yes, I will be at the ASD, silently lurking in anonymity. :D

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:39 pm

I am so excited to meet you all tomorrow (though I get super shy at public events and will probably not introduce myself)...I am becoming more and more excited (as opposed to previously a little bummed out) about staying in my home state to go to law school :)

AustinOrgans

New

Post by AustinOrgans » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm looking forward to it, too! Good opportunity to familiarize myself with some faces and the campus. Btw, was there ever a final word on how we should dress for this thing? I think I'm going to play it safe with business casual...

novaUGuconnPG

New

Post by novaUGuconnPG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:28 pm

austin- deb funke in the admissions office told me business casual and to just be comfortable. sounds like you had that figured out anyway...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Did ya'll attend ASD? I did!

CT residents: I noticed a few CT license plates that had a lighthouse on it. But most were the typical blue and white. How does one get a license plate with a lighthouse? Is that option given to everyone free of charge?

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:Did ya'll attend ASD? I did!

CT residents: I noticed a few CT license plates that had a lighthouse on it. But most were the typical blue and white. How does one get a license plate with a lighthouse? Is that option given to everyone free of charge?
How was it? I live too far away to go.

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:

How was it? I live too far away to go.
It was good. At the dean's house, Karen (of admissions) said that she does come on the forums and finds it interesting when she sees people fudge their numbers on here lol

The ASD was pretty informative, I thought. I was most interested in learning about the semester in DC program. It's only during Fall semester of your 2nd or 3rd year. And you can get 12 credits (or 15 if you do the paper).

The case review was interesting. The professor who was doing it seemed really cool.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure others would also be happy to answer, as would I ! But for now, I'm off to bed! Super exhausted. Had a bit of a drive back home (4 hours).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:It was good. At the dean's house, Karen (of admissions) said that she does come on the forums and finds it interesting when she sees people fudge their numbers on here lol
So she still knows who they are?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:04 pm

I was there, and it ruled! I didn't go to the breakfast though. And here's that information you requested: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=81 ... 827|#41835

I would also like to hear more about UConn adcomms lurking on TLS!!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:17 am

Kalvano,

Yes, she said they can usually figure out who is who. And she said there is no $40,000 scholarship, so she laughs when she sees someone write that.

Thanks for the info., Burger!! The breakfast was good. We were all crammed inside the house, as the weather was cold and originally the tables were supposed to be outside, but it wasn't bad really, there was still space to move around and whatnot. Food was good! :) Dean give a little talk and addressed someone's question about employment prospects.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:Kalvano,

Yes, she said they can usually figure out who is who. And she said there is no $40,000 scholarship, so she laughs when she sees someone write that.

LOL at all the stupid paranoid people who are so afraid to give out numbers.

ClaireBear

New

Post by ClaireBear » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:Kalvano,

Thanks for the info., Burger!! The breakfast was good. We were all crammed inside the house, as the weather was cold and originally the tables were supposed to be outside, but it wasn't bad really, there was still space to move around and whatnot. Food was good! :) Dean give a little talk and addressed someone's question about employment prospects.
Thats fascinating but not surprising (admissions officers lurking on TLS) - I went to the breakfast and program afterwards and found both of them really helpful for getting a feel for UCONN. I was in the first room that had the Dean talk and the assoc. dean for career planning also ended up giving an impromtu talk about their revamped career services office which was pretty good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:14 pm

After much deliberation, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from UConn. Hopefully this allows someone on the WL who has UConn as their #1 to get in. Good luck to all of you who will be attending UConn this fall!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:43 pm

I loved the mock class at ASD, particularly because it made me feel a lot more comfortable about law school in general. I'm sure it wasn't a realistic representation of how every class will be, but it was engaging, fun, and un-intimidating. I'm not sure why they opened the session with that lengthy coverage of the semester in DC, particularly because it sounded like only 10 students or so would be able to participate. I mean, it was informative and all, but since it is a voluntary program that will only be available to a fraction of the student body I thought it was a strange way to start the formal program of the day. It was cool to hear from current students and alumni and I really liked the deans and administration. Overall it definitely made me feel even better about my choice to attend. :)

OH! And the free sticker and coffee cup totally made my day! :mrgreen:

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Yeah, gotta love the free stuff :D

I REALLY want to do the semester in DC program. Man, I hope I am one of the lucky 10 or 15. Gotta hit the books really hard first year and prove myself worthy!

I also enjoyed the mock class. I was too shy to raise my hand and answer any questions, but I got them right in my head :D So that made me feel a bit relieved lol

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

novaUGuconnPG

New

Post by novaUGuconnPG » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:53 pm

i very nearly kept my hat in the maryland and american waiting lists because i want to live and work in DC so badly, but the cheaper NE tuition and hopefully in-state 2l and 3l tuition was too much to pass up. i DEFINITELY want to do the DC program, would enhance my chances of getting a job in DC by a mile!

lallygag

New

Post by lallygag » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:21 pm

I agree with Burger - I found it very weird to start the day off with the DC program information, but overall I'm very glad I went to ASD! (left my deposit with the admissions office before I left :) ) It was super informative and I'm happy with my decision. I left with a nice warm feeling haha. The current students/alumni alleviated my concerns. I also drove around the surrounding streets and it's a really nice area even though much of Hartford can look dumpy... Yay! now I'm excited!

novaUGuconnPG

New

Post by novaUGuconnPG » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:53 pm

anyone else thinking of living in brooksyde down by west hartford center? that's the best area i feel. also it's a 5 minute drive down fern and there's no traffic lights...

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:55 pm

novaUGuconnPG wrote:anyone else thinking of living in brooksyde down by west hartford center? that's the best area i feel. also it's a 5 minute drive down fern and there's no traffic lights...
Is Brooksyde an apartment complex or something? Do you have a link ?? what is the rent?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:57 pm

also, is $825/month with heat and hot water included decent for West Hartford? or is that really expensive? Checked out a place that was pretty decent. No hardwood floors, but I can live. Never had hardwood floors anyway lol but thought it'd be nice to have them. :oops:

novaUGuconnPG

New

Post by novaUGuconnPG » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:25 pm

brooksyde is a complex with lots of little buildings. it's 1300 a month for a 2-bedroom, 2-floor, big kitchen, big living room apartment

cjr1298

New

Post by cjr1298 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 am

I would say $825 is pretty good, I was paying $700 for a not so nice apartment ten years ago.

AustinOrgans

New

Post by AustinOrgans » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 pm

I got really good impressions from UConn at the ASD on Saturday. The mock class made me want to get started right away! Afterward, I wandered into the library on my own and ended up talking to the work study behind the circulation desk for a while. He sold me on competing in mock trial competitions first year, and possibly on doing a work study first year as well. I walked away from the event excited for the fall, and confident that I belong not only at UConn, but in law school.

Missed the breakfast with the Dean b/c of a faulty GPS. Shame on me for depending on technology.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”