UConn waiting thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chisoxfan

New

Re: UConn waiting thread

Post by chisoxfan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:58 pm

I got $5K from UConn, but several better offers from other (higher ranked) schools - has anyone tried negotiating with them for more aid $?

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 pm

chisoxfan wrote:I got $5K from UConn, but several better offers from other (higher ranked) schools - has anyone tried negotiating with them for more aid $?
mind sharing your numbers or PM'ing? I'm in and still hoping for $$.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:24 pm

big win tonight v. west virginia. might have just played themselves into the tournament! i know no one cares, but its the uconn thread and I dont know where to else to share. :|

nj05nets

New

Post by nj05nets » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:32 pm

as inconsistent as they have been this season who knows how the last 3 regular season games or the big east tourny will go, but it seems like they may have turned the corner.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm

fruitcocktail wrote:arggh,

I'm sick of this school. Not only is the certification letter annoying, they require more than an addendum for every measly criminal offense. I mean come on, documentation for driving infractions? And yes, you know who at the admissions office is very unfriendly. Although that will not dissuade me from going. She just hates her life.
Bro, thank you for saying that. I felt bad for some reason each time after I called in mid January (with good reasons each time, certification letter, etc) while trying to complete my app. The person on the other end of the phone made me feel like I wasn't good enough to be applying there and that I should just give up on that school, even though they sent me a fee waiver. The office assistant just has a weird tone and way of talking to people, I guess. Glad I'm not the only one who had a not so warm experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theridge1187

New

Post by theridge1187 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:36 am

UConn has begun to greatly annoy me. I applied in early December and short of the online status check email I've heard absolutely nothing. Their admissions PR is shoddy as hell...I think my chances are moderate to low of being accepted (OoS, 160, 3.5) but either way at this point I'd take a rejection letter if I got an answer at all just to ease the anxiety.

UConn you stressin' me out!

I think coming upon this thread has actually incited more anxiety.

TUhustler

New

Post by TUhustler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:05 am

theridge1187 wrote:UConn has begun to greatly annoy me. I applied in early December and short of the online status check email I've heard absolutely nothing. Their admissions PR is shoddy as hell...I think my chances are moderate to low of being accepted (OoS, 160, 3.5) but either way at this point I'd take a rejection letter if I got an answer at all just to ease the anxiety.

UConn you stressin' me out!

I think coming upon this thread has actually incited more anxiety.
+1

I couldn't agree with you more I applied Novemeber 4 and got the complete email from them December 1. I feel that they are making the process way more painful than it has to be. How is it that every other law school, in my experience, does not need this long to make a decesion? This is very insulting and I feel will lead to them not getting as great of an entering class as they could have. By making people wait this long they are allowing people who UConn may have been their first choice to turn bitter towards them and start to seriously think about other schools they have accepted them and made scholarship offers to them already. Even though they are practically a tier 1 there are many lower tier 2's with equal employment prospects if not better. My point being they do not have the stats to jerk people around like this. Granted I am looking at paying out of state tuition for the first year so I may be more easily turned off.

sloverme3

New

Post by sloverme3 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 am

I sent my application in at the end of October and went complete early November. Haven't heard anything at all since. I love how in the email they said they would review applications in the order they received them when I think its pretty clear they are reviewing them by lsat score (based on lsn).

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:25 am

nj05nets wrote:as inconsistent as they have been this season who knows how the last 3 regular season games or the big east tourny will go, but it seems like they may have turned the corner.
ya, since calhoun has been back, the team has been playing lights out. still quite a few games to be played, but the situation looks 10x better than it did two weeks ago. even if i dont attend uconn, ill still root for their bball team.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:25 pm

TUhustler wrote:How is it that every other law school, in my experience, does not need this long to make a decesion? This is very insulting and I feel will lead to them not getting as great of an entering class as they could have. By making people wait this long they are allowing people who UConn may have been their first choice to turn bitter towards them and start to seriously think about other schools they have accepted them and made scholarship offers to them already. Even though they are practically a tier 1 there are many lower tier 2's with equal employment prospects if not better. My point being they do not have the stats to jerk people around like this. Granted I am looking at paying out of state tuition for the first year so I may be more easily turned off.

UConn didn't even start looking at apps until the middle of January, which is kind of clown shoes to me. And their admissions office, while pleasant to me, has never been overly impressive. They need to go visit Wake Forest and take notes on how to run an admissions office.

The biggest thing for me is the drawing it out. Like you said, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to getting qualified applicants. Most serious applicants applied by Thanksgiving, or around there. And most serious law schools started rolling out decisions around there, if not before.

Most irritating to me is that, after taking all this time to even start looking at apps, they don't send scholarship info with your letter?

Take off the clown shoes and put on some dominatrix boots and start kicking ass, UConn.

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:33 pm

165/3.45...haven't heard a word since I applied mid-November

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:35 pm

I am starting to lean away from UConn. I was incredibly excited when I was accepted, but their scholarship stinginess inspired me to take a closer look at some of my other acceptances, and suddenly UConn seems kind of boring and a little snobby by comparison. At this point I am thinking I might just attend a much lower-ranked school for 1/6 the price and probably end up with a more enjoyable experience and similar job prospects. I am going to visit UConn and several other schools in the next month and I will decide then, but for now UConn is slowly declining on my own personal ranking list.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Burger in a can wrote:I am starting to lean away from UConn. I was incredibly excited when I was accepted, but their scholarship stinginess inspired me to take a closer look at some of my other acceptances, and suddenly UConn seems kind of boring and a little snobby by comparison. At this point I am thinking I might just attend a much lower-ranked school for 1/6 the price and probably end up with a more enjoyable experience and similar job prospects. I am going to visit UConn and several other schools in the next month and I will decide then, but for now UConn is slowly declining on my own personal ranking list.
Wow, its this the same burger from a couple weeks ago?? Depressing, to say the least.

The admissions office has been cordial to me, and gave me a fee waiver. Ive got nothing bad to say about them in that respect. Their admissions process though, is a struggle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theridge1187

New

Post by theridge1187 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 pm

no letter today...two months, 13 days.

I second that...UCincinnati is started to look more appealing...(I'm from Ohio, it's basically ranked right with UConn but, at least for me, significantly cheaper...and they supplied a decision in a timely manner OH SNAP!)

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Well, considering the admissions committee didn't even start meeting until the last week of January, I'd say this doesn't come as much of a surprise.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Burger in a can wrote:I am starting to lean away from UConn. I was incredibly excited when I was accepted, but their scholarship stinginess inspired me to take a closer look at some of my other acceptances, and suddenly UConn seems kind of boring and a little snobby by comparison. At this point I am thinking I might just attend a much lower-ranked school for 1/6 the price and probably end up with a more enjoyable experience and similar job prospects. I am going to visit UConn and several other schools in the next month and I will decide then, but for now UConn is slowly declining on my own personal ranking list.

That's quite depressing to hear, though I do agree on the scholarship info.

It would seem offering in-state tuition is an easy thing to do, and would help make it more enticing to people.

TUhustler

New

Post by TUhustler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:16 pm

DonnyMost wrote:Well, considering the admissions committee didn't even start meeting until the last week of January, I'd say this doesn't come as much of a surprise.
I think the surprise is that none of us had any idea that they would do that. There doesn't seem to be any good reason for it either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlife2010

New

Post by lawlife2010 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:27 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:165/3.45...haven't heard a word since I applied mid-November
+1 although i applied relatively later and my GPA is a bit higher. I never even got an e-mail confirming they received my application and never got info on how to check my application status. The lady in admissions was very rude when I went to visit but I still thought I would send and app their way and keep my options open, but that added to this failure to even reply to an e-mail asking about my status has really begun to turn me off of U.conn.

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 pm

I sent my app in on 2/8 and haven't heard anything, not even an application received email. How long did it take before you heard from them?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Bobalou wrote:I sent my app in on 2/8 and haven't heard anything, not even an application received email. How long did it take before you heard from them?
a while. email them if you want. they should be able to provide some (although probably vague) information.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is it about UCONN that is attractive to you guys?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fjk88

New

Post by fjk88 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is it about UCONN that is attractive to you guys?
In-state tuition is a big factor for me. and the school's reputation throughout New England is pretty good--its only behind Yale, Harvard, BU, BC in the region.

AustinOrgans

New

Post by AustinOrgans » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is it about UCONN that is attractive to you guys?
-In-state tuition
-20 min. from home
-Reputation as one of the best public law schools in region, top 50-ish in rankings.
-Gorgeous campus

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 pm

I just filled out/faxed in Uconns financial aid form. Hopefully when they receive it, they pull my file, review it, and accept me.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm beginning to get irritated at the lack of monetary offers.

There is simply no way UConn is worth $83,000 when I can go to Wake for $54,000 or SMU for $50,000.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”