Kansas 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sccjnthn

New

Re: Kansas 2013

Post by sccjnthn » Sat May 01, 2010 12:00 pm

AKA,
Where are you looking to take your KU degree?

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:45 pm

AKAlicious wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:Does anyone know how KU compares to UMKC as far as career prospects and education quality in general goes?
I can't speak from a place of great knowledge, but seeing as you've gotten no replies yet, I'll share my opinion. If you go to UMKC and do well there, then you should have options. A friend of mine did that and she's clerking for a state judge at the moment. I think you'll find it's like that at many schools, though. For KS, it probably depends to some degree on where you live. I would assume that a UMKC degree is more acceptable in KC than it is in Wichita. But then again, I don't have any proof to back that up--it's just my opinion. I declined UMKC primarily because they offered me the same amount of $ that KU did. I figured since I'm not fond of living in either KC or Lawrence and the offer was the same, I may as well take the better school.
Finally. Thank you for the response. Do you or have you lived in Kansas out of curiosity?

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Sat May 01, 2010 4:49 pm

OP: If you want to know anything about KU or KS, PM me, as I'm currently in Lawrence.

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Sun May 02, 2010 12:24 am

honestabe84 wrote:Does anyone know how KU compares to UMKC as far as career prospects and education quality in general goes?
KU is known as a better school, but both are well-represented in the local large firms. KU has the upper hand in getting into local big law (Shook, Lathrop, Stinson, Husch Blackwell, Spencer Fane, etc.). As far as outside the local area, KU likely does better due to nothing more than name recognition.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Anybody have any info on seat deposit dates? (both 1st and 2nd)

Someone mentioned them earlier, but I couldn't tell if that was meant for just him, just the people named to that specific scholarship, or everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm

Seat deposits are 5/15 and 6/15, each $250.

I just checked my status. Decision letter sent. My "Fees" box went from saying no date and $0.00 for each deposit to being populated with the aforementioned information.

I know it's probably a bad idea to take that to mean anything, but I'm going to take it as a good sign :)

AKAlicious

New

Post by AKAlicious » Tue May 04, 2010 1:51 am

honestabe84 wrote:
AKAlicious wrote:
I can't speak from a place of great knowledge, but seeing as you've gotten no replies yet, I'll share my opinion. If you go to UMKC and do well there, then you should have options. A friend of mine did that and she's clerking for a state judge at the moment. I think you'll find it's like that at many schools, though. For KS, it probably depends to some degree on where you live. I would assume that a UMKC degree is more acceptable in KC than it is in Wichita. But then again, I don't have any proof to back that up--it's just my opinion. I declined UMKC primarily because they offered me the same amount of $ that KU did. I figured since I'm not fond of living in either KC or Lawrence and the offer was the same, I may as well take the better school.
Finally. Thank you for the response. Do you or have you lived in Kansas out of curiosity?

Sure, no prob. I moved to KS late last year from NYC to do a grad program at KU. I'm finishing that up this summer and starting law school (still don't know where!) straight after that.

AKAlicious

New

Post by AKAlicious » Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 am

sccjnthn wrote:AKA,
Where are you looking to take your KU degree?
The moon, maybe? :D I have no idea. I want practical experience but ultimately I want the chance to do research on post-conflict justice systems, so it doesn't matter too much where I go as long as it's a decent school and I do some good research so I can get an appointment (at a think tank if I'm lucky!). (Sure, T14 would have been nice but aside from the fact that my LSAT wasn't there I did Ivy for undergrad and the whole crazy competition thing just isn't my style). I'm hoping to do an LLM overseas at some place with a conflict data monitoring program (Uppsala, maybe, but I've no idea if they have LLM program in English) or something like that.

AKAlicious

New

Post by AKAlicious » Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 am

procrastinator wrote:Seat deposits are 5/15 and 6/15, each $250.

I just checked my status. Decision letter sent. My "Fees" box went from saying no date and $0.00 for each deposit to being populated with the aforementioned information.

I know it's probably a bad idea to take that to mean anything, but I'm going to take it as a good sign :)
It's good--you're in. Congrats! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Tue May 04, 2010 2:02 am

I think I just fell in love with you. Thanks! :)

AKAlicious

New

Post by AKAlicious » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Reporting on scholly negotiation at KU: they told me I was WL'd for additional $ and if they pulled me from the list they would notify me by May 3rd. I assumed the worst when I didn't hear anything but decided to email them asking if there was any change in my offer. They gave me the extra $, so be sure to send an email if they put you on the list! :)

moe

New

Post by moe » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

AKAlicious wrote:Reporting on scholly negotiation at KU: they told me I was WL'd for additional $ and if they pulled me from the list they would notify me by May 3rd. I assumed the worst when I didn't hear anything but decided to email them asking if there was any change in my offer. They gave me the extra $, so be sure to send an email if they put you on the list! :)
+1

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Wed May 05, 2010 12:24 pm

anyone get an email regarding waitlist status? im excited they are keeping me around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hatteras1

New

Post by hatteras1 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:21 pm

AKAlicious wrote:

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but mine did the same thing and I was waitlisted. I got SO excited when my letter was sent and was pretty disappointed when it was waitlist, so I thought I'd share. I hope for good news for you though!!

Also got the e-mail that they are keeping me around on the waitlist, but I will probably withdraw after this weekend. Good luck you guys!!

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:47 pm

hatteras1 wrote:
AKAlicious wrote:

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but mine did the same thing and I was waitlisted. I got SO excited when my letter was sent and was pretty disappointed when it was waitlist, so I thought I'd share. I hope for good news for you though!!

Also got the e-mail that they are keeping me around on the waitlist, but I will probably withdraw after this weekend. Good luck you guys!!
Do you mind me asking when you applied and what your number are? If you don't feel comfortable posting it, feel free to PM me.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Withdrew yesterday. Should free up a spot as well as some serious coin. Hope it all goes to a faithful TLS'er. Good luck all!

koehn2

New

Post by koehn2 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Are there any summer wait-list candidates get off the wait-list? My decision is in the mail, but curious if anyone else on hear was lucky enough to get in already?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Would love for a few Jayhawks to chime in about KU law and Lawrence in general.

Especially out of staters and their impressions.

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Wed May 05, 2010 10:43 pm

DonnyMost wrote:Would love for a few Jayhawks to chime in about KU law and Lawrence in general.

I actually just moved up to Lawrence since I'm doing the summer start program so I can only comment on recent impressions, but I'm from a much bigger city and I will say that it's definitely a change for me. I'm really enjoying the town so far though, and the COL is amazing. I picked a place to live on the west side, which is very quiet and more spread out, but I can get to the other side of town in under 15min, and so far I haven't noticed any traffic. Kansas City is a little further than I thought it would be, but there seems to be a good amount of places to go/things to do in Lawrence. I have also noticed that everyone I've met here so far is extremely friendly, from neighbors going out of their way to say hi, to random people in the grocery store stopping to chat. My cons: no near hockey team, no good places to shop (even in KC), no Ikea.

AmicusCuriae

New

Post by AmicusCuriae » Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 pm

txelle wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:Would love for a few Jayhawks to chime in about KU law and Lawrence in general.

I actually just moved up to Lawrence since I'm doing the summer start program so I can only comment on recent impressions, but I'm from a much bigger city and I will say that it's definitely a change for me. I'm really enjoying the town so far though, and the COL is amazing. I picked a place to live on the west side, which is very quiet and more spread out, but I can get to the other side of town in under 15min, and so far I haven't noticed any traffic. Kansas City is a little further than I thought it would be, but there seems to be a good amount of places to go/things to do in Lawrence. I have also noticed that everyone I've met here so far is extremely friendly, from neighbors going out of their way to say hi, to random people in the grocery store stopping to chat. My cons: no near hockey team, no good places to shop (even in KC), no Ikea.
I'm from Kansas City and went to KU for undergrad. As far as traffic, the city is in a lull around finals; just wait until August. Getting from say Wakarusa (23rd or 6th) to say 8th and Mass can be an excruciating experience. Really, any of the roads near or leading to KU can be a nightmare.

It can be a long drive to KC, but depending on what you're looking to do it can be worth it. Kansas City itself has very little to offer, aside from the Plaza. You'll find the bulk of the good restaurants and shopping in Johnson County, typically Overland Park and Olathe. As far as shopping, Oak Park Mall, Town Center Plaza and the Legends near the Speedway are probably the best locations.

As far as hockey, yeah, good luck. KC has tried multiple times to support a hockey team and it's failed every time. I hear there is a minor-league team in Lees Summit, though. There is a decent amateur hockey scene, though.

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 pm

ooh that's good to know! Thanks for the info :) I was kind of wondering why it was so empty haha. Although I did my UG in Atlanta, so I'm sure any traffic will be better than what I experienced there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 pm

txelle wrote:

Very cool. Thanks for your thoughts. I was considering the summer program but I'll be trying my luck on the fall wait list. I've spent the majority of my adult life in Houston and going to a small town like Lawrence kind of spooks me a little but it seems like it may be a real gem. Ikea would be nice, eh? :)

txelle

New

Post by txelle » Wed May 05, 2010 11:49 pm

DonnyMost wrote:
txelle wrote:

Very cool. Thanks for your thoughts. I was considering the summer program but I'll be trying my luck on the fall wait list. I've spent the majority of my adult life in Houston and going to a small town like Lawrence kind of spooks me a little but it seems like it may be a real gem. Ikea would be nice, eh? :)
yay another Texan :) I'm from Dallas. good luck with the wait list!

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 am

I just spent the last year in Texas, and the year before that I spent in Kansas. I think you two are in for a pleasant surprise — life is much better in the midwest :)

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Thu May 06, 2010 8:59 am

In!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”